British Airways

"experience has deteriorated significantly"

Trip Verified | I have flown British Airways numerous times over many years. Sadly the experience has deteriorated significantly recently and this flight was particularly poor. The staff were offhand and one seemed particularly unhappy to be there. The person next to me and I asked for the beef choice but were told that there was none left - too little had apparently been loaded. There was no apology and we were simply told we needed to make another choice. We asked for the fish. After some delay we were given our meals but found we had both been given a vegetarian meal. I had to walk down to the galley to let them know and was told in a very offhand manner that they must have recorded the wrong choice - no apology. Eventually we received the fish which by then was dry and not enjoyable. We were asked for breakfast choices and gave in cards which stated we wanted a light choice 40 minutes before landing. We were not given anything. The service was really poor - and as usual the business seats were falling behind the quality and comfort found in other airlines. BA will really have to improve their product to continue to attract premium passengers.
RouteNewark to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2018

"worlds away from what it used to be"

Trip Verified | We can not fault the new 'Club World' food and service, on the 747 outbound and 777 inbound it was great! The food was first class, the presentation very attractive, the quality very high - haven't had such tender beef on any airline before (or in a restaurant for that matter lately!) and the new style crockery/glass wear stylishly upmarket. It's worlds away from what it used to be, both crews were attentive, friendly and cheerful. Really liked the way the food came out on a trolley and you could pick and choose what you liked and mix and match if you wanted to. You now get a light day blanket, a padded blanket for night and a mattress protector type thing to put on the base of your seat, much better than the thin always static blanket you used to get. The pillow is larger and tons better than before. Can't believe how fast the time flew and how well we felt on landing both in Seattle and once home again. We do mainly Club Europe flights, shame as if this level of service and food is maintained the new Club World will be a great success.
AircraftBoeing 747 and Boeing 777
RouteLondon Heathrow to Seattle

"last choice in future"

Trip Verified | Very disappointing experience - flew out on a 747 400 series (should be scrapped!) Departed late. Loaded aircraft ready for push back, no a/c Temperature was excessively hot all flight, no cool air. Personal Media system broken, split screen. Food quality diabolical. Moody flight attendants, ran out of hand soap. Return flight on A380 left on time, 100% better service, meal quality, and crew, definitely made up for outward flight. Been flying BA for over 25 years, probably would be a last choice in future - sad to see.
RouteLondon to Johannesburg
Date FlownApril 2018

"unexpected problem with the systems"

Trip Verified | Calgary to London. Cabin full. Overhead locker full of blankets. Seat excruciatingly uncomfortable and headphone that worked intermittently. Take off about 1945 local time. Evening meal appeared at about 2030 local time. Menu listed seasonal salad (leaf, one small piece of lettuce and cucumber), braised short rib of beef or mushroom ravioli pasta, with butter pecan cake. Only 3 beef meals available. Choice was either pasta or to go hungry. I chose the latter and dined on a small bottle of water and half a cup of tomato juice. Breakfast (a light refreshment including juice, tea and coffee) consisted of a cream cheese roll, and oat biscuit, and half a cup of warm tea some 30 minutes later. We paid extra for World Traveller Plus but I consider that we were conned. Customer services have been useless and on the second time of writing I received the following response, "Thanks for coming back to us. I completely understand why you’re disappointed we couldn’t offer you our full catering service, especially as on such a long haul flight. I hope our staff explained our catering supplier had an unexpected problem with the systems they use to deliver their catering. This meant they couldn’t provide a full meal service and I absolutely agree this isn’t what you would expect when you travel with us. I’m sorry we’ve let you down." That is it. Thank you BA. This is the last time we will ever book long haul with you.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCalgary to London

"The airline isn’t bad"

Trip Verified | London to Zurich. The airline isn’t bad. Their boarding procedure was very good, though the aircraft was very old. I know it is one of the oldest, and personally I enjoyed it. But if I have to be realistic, it’s very old, loud and uncomfortable. The service isn’t good either, you don’t even get a cup of water. It’s great to hop to London, but don’t expect any kind of special treatment or service.
RouteLondon to Zurich
Date FlownJune 2018

"charge a large amount for choosing seats"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to New York JFK via London. Outgoing flight was on a refurbished 747. Still I could see its age. We had a duo seat at the back of the plane. The plane was hot and there are no air con vents above your head. The IFE was decent and had a good selection. The cabin crew member looking after us was pleasant and friendly and he chatted to us. Flight left close to on time. Service was quick as we were first served at the back. We were given pretzels and drinks first then dinner was about an hour later, which was vegetarian pasta for me. Adequate amount of food served and was tasty. Ice cream and juice/water was served halfway through the flight. We then received a snack before landing which was a sandwich and a toblerone. It was ok. Return flight from Vegas was on a old 747. Horrible old seats with no padding and very dirty. Service was a lot slower as they announced they had less staff. Less drinks served, again food was ok chicken curry this time. Small snack of a egg tortilla yoghurt and muffin served for breakfast. IFE was horrendous on the old 747 tiny grainy screen with a very limited choice. I wouldnt fly BA again if I had a choice because they charge such a large amount for choosing the duo seats. £210 return it cost us and it made the air fare expensive. Also the planes they use are too old and tatty.
RouteGlasgow to New York via London
Date FlownJune 2018

"aircraft lacked the legroom"

Trip Verified | Flew on a last minute emergency trip London Heathrow to Baltimore with BA. Most disappointing feature on this roundtrip was the aircraft the new Boeing 787. I found the aircraft too small and cramped for transatlantic routes, in its 3-3-3 seating configuration, despite the crews in flight service and the inflight entertainment being of a generally average economy standard, the aircraft lacked the legroom and seating comfort of the other aircraft I have flown on other transatlantic routes, 777, 767, A340 and 747. BA needs to remove many seats from this aircraft in economy class, also the cabin air temperature was awful and humid, with no individual regulation. This felt to me more like being crammed in to a Boeing 737 on a transatlantic flight.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Baltimore
Date FlownJune 2018

"an additional €476 for seat selection"

Trip Verified | Earlier this year, my wife and I travelled business class with BA from Dublin to Jo'burg, returning from Cape Town, thru London in each direction. Having paid business class fares, we were then quite taken aback to have to pay an additional €476 for seat selection on the long haul sectors. Had we not selected seats, we could have found ourselves not just separated, but possibly with one of us on the upper deck and one on the lower deck of the A380 on the way out and the 747 on the return flight. We therefore had no choice. What sort of customer retention policy is this? No other airline with whom we have travelled business class has then charged for seat selection, but BA just don't seem to care. It is a rip-off. The forward/rear facing business class seat plan on BA planes is really unattractive, complicated further by having to climb over a sleeping passenger to reach the aisle from a window seat. BA should take a look at the Emirates A380 if they want to see a customer friendly layout. This was our first business class experience with BA. Having flown with middle eastern airlines particularly, we have discovered how much behind the play BA actually are.
AircraftA380 and 747
RouteLondon to Johannesburg
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"no one to solve problems"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to London. I booked with AA, LAX to LHR round trip very far in advance. BA is AA partner. Paid for the BA seat selection early to get good seats. BA canceled the flights (coming and going), BA did not inform AA or me that the flights were canceled. All of my text and phone number was entered with BA with my passport number. They should have contacted me. I found out a couple days before my flight because I happened to call to do a meal request. It turns out that BA shifted to smaller planes and I actually spent six hours, over two days trying to get flights on the days I needed to catch up with a tour. All they said is we can't help you. I kept calling and calling and got seats on the days I needed but they were the worst seats on the plane and because they were smaller planed, Premium Economy was awful. Food was terrible. We had pre paid $276 to choose seats. There were no good seats left. We ended up on a night flight right next to the toilets. Which meant the smell, people are bumping into you, the lights going off and toilets flushing for 9 hours. Same seats coming home. I would have been better off flying in coach. I have spent a month trying to get refund for the paid seat selection. I tried to get this before my return flight started because I was still calling and calling to get seats away from the toilets on our return flight and to get our refunds.They wouldn't refund. After returning, I made five phone calls and spent 30 mins filling out a detailed request online. Called again today, was disconnected twice and told there is nothing I could do. It is possible I may get a response in a month regarding my email request. Don't ever fly with them! They used to be the finest airline in the skies but now their system is broken and there is no such thing as customer service. If you have a problem, you will be up a famous creek without a paddle. They have an endless loop of calling, waiting on line, their agent's can't or won't do anything but sell seats. I spoke to many many supervisors, no results. There is no one to solve problems. They pass the buck, have you fill out forms online and no one responds.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLos Angeles to London
Date FlownMay 2018

"everything was comfy enough"

Not Verified | The overall flight wasn't too bad. Seats and everything was comfy enough, although my girlfriends television didn't work for either the outbound or inbound flight, and little effort was made for a resolution. I understand that it isn't the flight attendants fault, but it would have been nice if a little more effort than 'there's nothing we can do' was given to the issue! On the flight from Gatwick to Tampa we were stuck on the aircaft for approximately 30-40 minutes as the bridge 'wasn't where it should be' which once again wasn't the worst problem In the world but after a long flight isn't particularly what you wanted! It wasn't the best experience.
RouteTampa to London
Date FlownMay 2018

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL