British Airways

"FAs went through the motions"

Trip Verified | BA’s Galleries lounge at CPT is adequate but let down by a poor food selection (including packaged cheese and biscuits, with flimsy wooden knives) and limited wine choices. Champagne was conspicuously lacking. Toilet paper wasn’t being refreshed in the toilets and here was no lock on one of the cubicle doors. There were no information screens, so one had to wait for the tannoy call to board. Boarding itself was efficient, with priority for groups 1 and 2. Seats 62J/K on the upper deck are the best of a mediocre job, and at least there's plenty of storage space in the window bins. Take off was on schedule. FAs went through the motions, with little enthusiasm. The food was the worst we've ever experienced in Club World. The 'smoked chicken salad' was atrocious and the 'scrambled eggs with chives in a tortilla wrap' deserves to be in a museum of culinary horrors. The White Company bedding was a let-down and far removed from the luxury portrayed in adverts. There's little one can do to remedy a hard seat. Landing was ahead of schedule. Overall, a lacklustre flight in an ancient plane with a sub-par business class product. British Airways are falling ever behind their competitors.
RouteCape Town to London Heathrow
Date FlownJune 2018

"screen with so few pixels"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to San Jose. I’ve just stepped onto a BA flight from Gatwick to Costa Rica, an 11.5 hr flight, and can honestly I haven’t seen a screen with so few pixels since the 90s. I fly other long haul flights and none of BA’s competitors are providing such low quality entertainment. I used to think of British Airways as being a premium airline - now they’re just rubbish.
RouteGatwick to San Jose
Date FlownJune 2018

"there was little to dislike"

Trip Verified | I took the new option of the new Toronto to London Gatwick which debuted this summer as a seasonal route. Cheaper than the Heathrow service, it was an interesting experiment in whether I could fall back in love with Gatwick. Excellent check in at Pearson as usual, but spoiled by the third party lounge. Goodness knows what BA were thinking, given the old lounge was well run with excellent drinks and food options. The Premium Plaza lounge is cheap and nasty. On time boarding on a near empty flight (too early in the season for the return traffic to have built up). The cabin was a third full. Juice and water offered. No Prosecco in Premium Economy though the crew member couldn't explain why it's not offered to London, but why Champagne in Biz is manageable. On time departure, and a fast drinks service. This is my first experience of Gatwick crew. Fast, sociable, less formal and streets ahead of mixed fleet crew serving Heathrow. (and all over 25!) The meal was vile - overcooked, salty and dry. As the plane was empty, I went back to economy and had three hours sleep across three seats. Awful breakfast of pretzel roll and cream cheese was served before landing. IFE on both legs was dated and still the same selection since my flights at Christmas! An early arrival and fast bags finished off a ok flight. Returning, I liked the biz / first class check in area at LGW - fast and friendly. The lounge at Gatwick was streets ahead of Heathrow. Self serve Champagne and loads of seats. Kept very clean and plenty of food. An upgrade to biz was nice on a full flight. Efficient boarding and a fast coat / drink and menu service. A really fast bar service only 20 mins in, with well cooked food made the service just like the old days of long haul cabin crew from Heathrow. The only thing that spoilt it was off duty BA staff in Biz, chatting (and distracting) the crew on duty while drinking in the aisle and generally being loud and annoying. An early arrival into Toronto finished a near perfect flight, The Gatwick 777s are old - very old with no power in Premium Economy. (currently going through a refurb progamme), but with efficient and friendly crew and on time / early performance - there was little to dislike, and I even liked Gatwick!!
AircraftBoeing 777-200 ER
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownJune 2018

"very good service indeed"

Not Verified | First time flying with British Airways in economy on a Transatlantic flight from London to Chicago. I was impressed by the hard work of the professional and friendly Flight Attendants. They walked up and down the plane helping people with various issues and offering good tasty meals, snacks and drinks of all kinds. I will definitely fly British overseas again given a chance. The economy seats on this old but well kept Boeing 747-400 were very comfortable and I am a 5'9" x 240lbs and still did not feel cramped. I would encourage all my friends to fly British if they want to have a very comfortable flight from the US to Europe. Thank You British Airways, very good service indeed.
RouteLondon to Chicago
Date FlownApril 2018

"flights to Vancouver abysmal"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Vancouver via London. Worst experience. Terrible service and when we wrote with constructive criticism, they offered £25 voucher and no apology - an insult as did not ask for compensation. It's an expensive price to pay for a low cost airline. On a positive point the Geneva to London flights were fine but the 2 long haul flights to Vancouver were abysmal.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteGeneva to Vancouver via London
Date FlownMarch 2018

"very pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | This is the first time I have flown BA's Club Europe flying from London Heathrow to Corfu. I was not expecting a great deal having read a lot of less than positive reviews online however I was very pleasantly surprised. Shortly after boarding we were offered a welcome drink with a bag of nuts and a choice of magazine to read. Not long after this there was a full drinks service followed but a 4 course meal which was very tasty. I had cured salon followed by chicken breast then ginger cheesecake and a small cheese plate. We were then offered a choice of hot drinks and a top up of champagne. The crew were very attentive and helpful. They had a smile on their face all the time and the flight seemed to zip past. The seats were the usual economy seats with the middle blanked by a tray but for a relatively short trip it was fine. This flight was an upgrade using Avios and I would happily do it again. I paid around 6500 avios and an extra £13 in taxes which I think was very good value for what I had.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Corfu
Date FlownMay 2018

"budget airlines can do better"

Trip Verified | Our original flight was cancelled as my wife and I were just disembarking from a cruise ship. We were then advised shortly after by SMS that we had been automatically re-booked on a flight the next day, to London Heathrow. This was not a lot of good when our car was parked at Gatwick. I managed to get through to BA and was given a new booking to Gatwick also the following day. We were offered no other assistance by the airline. The following day we turned up at the airport to find the new flight was running 40 minutes late. Having eventually boarded the aircraft, we stayed at the gate for about 45 minutes before the captain deigned to tell us that the delay was being caused by problems at Barcelona airport. Shortly thereafter the captain advised us that we might wait for another two hours, so we would be given water. This was quickly superseded by a further announcement that a slot had become available at short notice, so no water was served. The real horror of this flight, however, was British Airways new food service, whereby passengers buy food and pay by card/Avios. This simply does not work. After one hour in the air, the trolley had moved about nine rows from the front of the cabin. Eventually a flight attendant attempted to work from the back forward by running backwards and forwards from the trolley. About 20 minutes from touchdown he reached us and we asked for two cans of drink and a packet of crisps (potato chips). He returned to tell us he had no crisps and only one can, which we duly shared between us. Having been on the aircraft for three and a half hours, this was the only refreshment we could obtain. I consider this to be completely unacceptable. If this is the level of service we can now expect from British Airways, there is no point traveling with them. The budget airlines can do better at lower cost.
RouteBarcelona to Gatwick

"little value for money"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to London. This was my first Business Class trip on BA, as I mostly use Emirates or Cathay Pacific. In comparison, BA offers a very low standard. The flight attendant who served the section where I was seated couldn't have cared less. No greetings when passengers boarded the plane, no offer of help. He asked for my drink order but never delivered the drink. No second drink was offered. The toilet hadn't been cleaned properly before boarding, and during the flight, one of the two washrooms became unusable, resulting in long queues. The seating arrangement - having to face a stranger who sits in the opposite direction- is uncomfortable. Overall, appalling quality and little value for money.
RouteHong Kong to London

"above-and-beyond service"

Trip Verified | Washington to Bucharest return via London. I was originally booked in World Traveller Plus but at Dulles check-in was offered a Club World upgrade at just $499 more which I accepted - resulting flight was very comfortable with good food and top-drawer service. The two London-Bucharest sectors both went well. But all this was just a prelude to my return trip. While in Bucharest I sustained a fall and although I wasn't seriously hurt it was still difficult to walk long distances especially with heavy luggage. At the Bucharest airport bag drop the agent noticed my situation and offered assistance, which I accepted - and was promptly wheeled through security, passport control and the (very long) corridors to the gate, then put aboard the plane. On arrival in London I was met by more assistance to whisk me through the vastness of T5 and onto the plane, this time with the pleasant surprise of another Club World upgrade (this time for free). Once on the plane back to Washington the cabin crew couldn't do enough for me, checking how I was doing, going through meal choices (the menu this time round was a bit heavy on cheese and other dairy items I really can't eat but ultimately I still ate well), getting me drinks, and more. They were as professional and proactive a crew as I've ever experienced in 40 years of long-haul travel. Finally, once arrived at Dulles more assistance was waiting, right up to getting my cab. What could have been an ordeal on this return trip was turned into as relaxing and satisfying a travel experience as can be imagined - through the years I've had mostly excellent experiences with BA cabin crews and that's a big reason why I've stayed with BA all these years and will continue to do so. But a big standing ovation for the cabin and ground crews for these flights for above-and-beyond service - you're the best.
AircraftBoeing 747 / A320
RouteWashington to Bucharest via London
Date FlownMay 2018

"expensive low cost airline"

Trip Verified | London to Warsaw. BA European service is becoming like an expensive low cost airline. The price of seat selection still remains high. The seat on the outbound flight is not even reclining and it was a 2-hour flight. You can always feel the elbows of the passengers next to you whenever someone is moving. I didn't buy any food or drink onboard, although I reckon it's not badly priced. The inbound flight was on an older A320, in which the seat was reclining.
RouteLondon to Warsaw

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL