British Airways

"cabin staff polite and friendly"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Hyderabad via London Heathrow. All flights left on time but the HYD-LHR one arrived an hour late. I literally had to run to find my way through Heathrow to to board my connection. As for the BA flights, I found the cabin staff to be polite and friendly and the food to be decent, served on china plates covered with napkins. Since I was awake most of the time, flight attendants checked multiple times (outside of meal hours) if they could get me anything. My only issue with meals is, on the HYD-LHR leg, lunch was served very late. It was almost 8-9 hours between breakfast & lunch. That kind of seems their standard practice: they serve food sometime after take-off and before landing. Toilets were maintained well in all 3 flights. However, I wasn't impressed by the seats in BA flights. I found them to be a bit narrow and not comfortable enough to sleep in because I also couldn't rest my neck flat down (which I could in the AA flight from LHR -> Philadelphia). I also think it was a bit difficult for folks in window seats to move out by crossing over the passengers in isle seats, if they were old or not agile enough. The AA flight from LHR -> Philadelphia had Bose noise canceling headphones, while the BA flights had just regular ones. No big deal, but still.
RouteChicago to Hyderabad via London Heathrow

"first and last journey"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Hyderabad via London. I had a really bad experience with British Airways. I had been planning for the trip whole year and wanted to try British Airways instead of taking my regular Emirates. The flight got cancelled just couple of hours before the take-off. The customer care was unresponsive. I have waited in the customer care call queue for hours and hours for multiple times. I had to go book Emirates in the last moment with $400 hike in price. I wrote email to customer care. It has taken so much time to get a response from them. The bad part is they won’t refund your ticket price. I hope no one goes through such similar issue. My honest opinion: Be sure of your travel plans before you book British Airways. I was my first and last journey. I wont recommend personally to anyone.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSan Francisco to Hyderabad via London
Date FlownDecember 2017

"nothing good about BA anymore"

Trip Verified | London to Duesseldorf on 21 January. Flew with them 10 times over a one month period. This was the last of those flights. 8 of the 10 flights were changed or cancelled. The flight I was booked in for this day was cancelled again shortly before departure. Mayhem at the T5 customer service desk. Far too few people to serve. Seats on BA are terrible. Everything costs extra. There is nothing good about BA anymore.
RouteLondon to Duesseldorf

"I was downgraded"

Trip Verified | I had booked business class with my friend as this particular trip was planned to mark a significant milestone in my life, my 50th birthday. On this occasion, I had invested in an upgrade and as such I expected nothing less. For 15 hours on an overnight flight I had to sit in economy whilst my colleague was in business class. I was downgraded as BA overbook their flight by 10%. Their offer of compensation was £200! I am also waiting almost one month later for a refund in the difference in price between economy and business class. This experience has caused undue stress and at this point I am reluctant to use their services in the future. Their dismissive response completely contradicts their consumer promise and values: “Meeting the rising expectations of our customers remains central to our strategy of transforming British Airways into the world's leading global premium airline. Our investment in our staff, our fleet and our facilities are all about making sure we provide the very best in customer service.” The experience with BA has resulted in a negative end to what was a bucket list holiday! I feel I have a duty of care to other consumers to share my experience!
RouteRio de Janiero to London
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"A very unpleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Flew London to Bengaluru. British Airways have reached a new low. Flight boarded on time, but twenty minutes before departure the pilot announced that take off would be delayed as luggage was still to be loaded, and engineers were working to replace a pin. Two hours twenty minutes later flight was finally airborne. Cabin staff throughout the the flight were unpleasant and unhelpful. The BA premium is product nowhere near as good as other operators economy offering. The promised fine China dining experience only relates to main course. All other food and drink was served in plastic. The entire meal came on a cluttered tray, dumped on to tray tables with no finesse whatsoever. The chick pea starter was icy cold, the main course lamb over cooked, tasteless and inedible. Dessert and cheese portions were minuscule. Entertainment screen was marbled and very small. Reformatting films to fit to near postage stamp proportions made viewing impossible. Breakfast service made no pretence to premium service. Served on plastic and to be eaten with plastic cutlery. A very unpleasant experience. I have no wish to repeat, but sadly I have to return to Heathrow in the same way.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Bengaluru

"BA did a good job"

Trip Verified | We flew British Airways 194 and BA 197 into/out of Heathrow late Jan 2018, seats 27F/H and 30F/H respectively. Seats were comfortable but the electronic boxes took up some of the legroom. Food was OK, this is coach, so no really high expectations. Plane was clean, flight attendants were friendly. The IFE worked flawlessly, good selection of programs. Bathrooms were maintained clean throughout entire flight. We had beverage runs about every 1.5 hrs, if you wanted anything else, snacks were available in galley. BA did a good job.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteHouston to Dublin via London Heathrow
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"have to pay for food and beverages"

Trip Verified | Reykjavik to London. I had to pay £8 to change seats at check-in, £80 for one checked-in baggage. You also have to pay for food and beverages on board the aircraft. All those petty things are why we avoid low cost companies, but now that we know those are traits shared with BA, we will also avoid BA in the future.
RouteReykjavik to London
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"given no notifications or help"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Lisbon via Heathrow. We booked our flight tickets directly on BA site since July 2017 for the travelling date of December 24, 2017. One day before our travel, we processed the online check-in and were surprised to find out that our names have been removed from our first leg of the flight (BKK > LHR) without prior notice through any communication channels (email, sms text) by BA. After many attempts to find a solution, it unfortunately turned out that we could not contact any representative office in Thailand. However, we managed to talk to the customer services team in UK. She informed us that due to the connecting flight from LHR to LIS was cancelled by BA, the airline had removed our names from the entire trip (2 sectors). The assistant informed us that it was possible for our names to be added back to the BKK > LHR flight if we (by ourselves) could find a connecting flight from LHR to LIS. The only solution is either this as explain or to accept a refund of our tickets. Unfortunately, there were no flight available on that day and that left us with only one choice - to accept the refund to our tickets (without offering any other help). Our intention is to seek for proper explanation from BA in regards to how is it possible that there is no official communication/notification in regards to the flight being canceled to the passengers. We had to figure out the situation ourselves after an attempt to check-in online 24 hours before the flight. If we had went to check-in counter directly on our departure date, we would be without a solution and our whole trip might be cancelled. We were in a roller coaster of emotions over the issue since we had less than 24 hours to find alternative solution from a problem that was not caused by us but BA's neglect in providing proper communication to the passengers. Finally, we left no choice but to book last minute tickets from another airline which we had to pay 66% extra since it was a last minute ticket on Christmas eve. I find it inexcusable for a world-class airline to neglect last minute communication to guests on one of the most important day & holiday of the entire year. This event had caused us not only an extra charge in our entire trip's spending, but left us with one of the worst flying experiences. We chose British Airways in hopes of a seamless and stress-free travel experience but was given no notifications or any alternative help.
RouteBangkok to Lisbon via Heathrow
Date FlownDecember 2017

"a flight with no problems"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. A really basic flight operated by Comair. No inflight entertainment. You had a USB plug to charge your phone. They served breakfast - it was early in the morning. Overall a flight with no problems. The ground and air staff was good.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"no complimentary food or beverages"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Paris Orly. Flight arrived 40 mins late, nearly double the scheduled flight time. As all short haul British Airways flights no complimentary food or beverages, or included checked baggage. Premium airline price, budget airline service. I only use as BA have a virtual monopoly on Heathrow and to maintain Oneworld status.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Paris Orly
Date FlownOctober 2017

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL