American Airlines

American Airlines customer review

LHR to MIA Business Class. The plane was one of the older 777-200 with 2-3-2 seating meaning that the person in the middle always had to disturb someone to get out. The seat was ok but not really a true flat bed. The VOD was patchy in that on two of the films I watched there was something wrong with the display so I had to stop it and restart it. The food was very nice - my steak was delicious. Cabin crew were all very friendly and accommodating.

American Airlines customer review

Travelled with AA February 2015 LHR-MIA return flight out older plane - adequate for a day flight. Thankfully new plane with fully lie flat bed. On return excellent service from cabin staff food also beyond expectations.

American Airlines customer review

I flew Manchester to JFK and return with AA. On arrival at Manchester the airline staff quizzed us in detail about where else we usually travelled to why we were going to the States what jobs we did. This took about 10 minutes. Check in was via a machine designed to make AA a staff saving however it did nothing for their customers most of whom were frustrated at its inability to work. The whole crew were late and ran through the airport together to take up their posts. Did this account for them not checking whether the passengers had on their seat belts or arm rests in the correct position? Apparently not as it was exactly the same on the return flight. The safety video could not be viewed by passengers seated by the window due to the low overhead and central hanging videos. Did the crew have a uniform? They all dressed differently some wore extensive amounts of jewellery and chewed gum others had not even combed or tidied their hair. All were markedly scruffy compared to every other airline I have ever flown with. More worrying was that none of the crew advised passengers to remain seated when the seat belt light was lit and passengers proceeded to walk around the cabin throughout the flight. Or maybe it was the Captain's error in not turning the light off at all. Who knows whether we even had a Captain as on the out flight no announcements were even made! Not impressive on safety at all. Lets face it food comfort etc are also important but if an airline fails on basic safety the rest pales to insignificance.

American Airlines customer review

I have the time to write this review due to the third delay I've had with this airline. Not a single good thing I can say about my experience with American. I have flown Southwest Delta Jetblue Frontier and this is by far the worst airline I have flown. We had an hour and a half delay the first flight plus an emergency situation so we missed our connecting flight which has never happened to me. They supplied us with the worst hotel overnight. It wasn't just us that missed our flight 5 other families on separate ones missed theirs too. Then the flight the next day got delayed 30 minutes! So our three day trip turned into one day from all the delays and missed flights. Finally heading home and they announce mechanical problems with the plane. So now the flight is delayed 2 hours and we are missing our connecting flight to Salt Lake. So we get to board on a 6 pm flight but let's not kid ourselves that'll be delayed too so probably 7. And then it's a 4.5 hour flight so I'll be getting home at 2am. Other airlines can figure it out so please do to and spare us all the pain and frustration.

American Airlines customer review

Due to a booking snafu (which may have been of my making) and the flight being oversold our non-stop return flight LHR-RDU was unavailable. The courteous and helpful ticket desk staff re-booked our free ticket LHR-JFK-RDU. We were told with great pride that the transatlantic portion would be aboard AA's new flagship 777-300ER. I applaud AA as being the only U.S. airline to give it's customers the opportunity to ride the latest and finest of American ingenuity technology and manufacturing excellence. It did strike me however that AA may have commissioned a "lite" version of the plane as it was missing some of the bells and whistles I had seen on some foreign carriers (wood floors mood lighting etc). Overall the economy interior can best be described as bland. On the plus side mammoth overhead bins decent seats great ride and as good an in flight entertainment system as you'll find anywhere in coach. Watched three excellent first run movies. All we need now is some edible food and AA will have caught up with BA and VS. However as a word of caution to those flying from the US to the UK on AA be aware of the aircraft type when you make your booking. In addition to the new AA Flagship 777-300 the airline also flies the 777-200 which is getting along in age the venerable 767-300 and the 757-200 which in my opinion is not at all suited to Transatlantic travel.

American Airlines customer review

New York (JFK) to Antigua during the very bad snow on the US East Coast. Early morning departure was going well until we reached the gate and found that a problem with a burst pipe meant no baggage could be loaded. However assume this was a knock on from the weather conditions. We were kept relatively well informed about delay which extended to around 3 hrs. However the anticipation of arriving in 85 degrees warmth mitigated the delay. Service on aircraft was fine. We had seats with extra leg room. Inflight entertainment ok. Only soft drinks were free. We had an egg sandwich which was OK. Flight back was also delayed slightly but made up time to arrive near to scheduled time. No queue at immigration. However all this came to nought due to baggage problem at aircraft which meant we waited an hour for bags to arrive. No complaints about flight crew either way - clearly not as customer focused as Non US airlines but efficient.

American Airlines customer review

Flew RDU-LHR on a free economy ticket. I prefer other airlines but the RDU-LHR non-stop convenience trumps all. It also gives me the opportunity to judge the progress of the AA/USAir merger. On the downside the venerable 767-300 is one year older (27 years and counting) still has the mail slot overhead storage bins the ancient hanging screen entertainment and the excruciatingly uncomfortable seats. I did notice that this old warhorse had been updated with blended winglets to save money which I'm certain they pass along to those paying for tickets. On board the hot breakfast croissant has been replaced with a box of sugar laden treats and the dinner has regressed from merely uninteresting to inedible. The flight attendants are excellent given what they have to work with - even giving up their crew rest seats to accommodate the spring breakers who made this a 100% full flight. On the plus side a current movie that I had considered paying to see (Whiplash) swift check-in and 45 minutes early into LHR. AA doesn't seem challenged to upgrade their transatlantic game but unless you're flying from RDU there must be a better option to get from the U.S. to the UK.

American Airlines customer review

Flew JFK to Manchester. First disaster came when checking in for flight to be told as a group of 6 we couldn't be seated together. Then it got worse as we couldn't be sat as couples unless we paid $260.00 per couple. Once on board we were sat apart. The cabin crew were at best unkempt and rude. The meal we were served was awful. Only 1 toilet was working for the full economy cabin on a 757 this is not good on a 6 hour flight. Overall a disappointing experience and will not fly on American again.

American Airlines customer review

AA 280 ICN to DFW. Was flying with an economy ticket got an upgrade to business kind of last minute. Aboard as my husband was flying in first class (empty cabin) the purser invited me to join him. What a difference it makes. So glad for the double upgrade in the same flight. Service was good purser was friendly service oriented and professional. The 777-200 is showing its age but the first class suite is still very comfortable.
Cabin FlownFirst Class

American Airlines customer review

What is the point in paying extra for Priority when the seats are still the same size? Not to mention the overhead bins are not full yet you made me check my one carry-on. This is ridiculous. I planned ahead and packed lightly so I could use a small carry bag. I have an appointment when I land and cannot wait for Baggage Claim. What should have been offered was Priority Baggage PickUp. These items should come off the plane first and be stowed with strollers or other items along with First Class baggage. I will avoid this airline at all costs going forward.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy