American Airlines

Customer rating from 1904 reviews

American Airlines customer review

This was our first and last time will be flying with AA first with the 2 hour delay that wasn't their fault but we did not get a phone call like other passengers there was no cabin crew when we boarded the plane nor did they do cabin check (both journeys). We asked about upgrading to business class we were told it was full yet there were some empty seats and 2 of the cabin crew were in them. My mother and I both paid £75 each for extra leg room yet the 2 sat next us (both journeys again) said they didn't. Boeing 757 UK to JFK several other passengers also complained about how unhelpful the cabin crew were. Will not recommend this service plus delayed 1 hour coming back.

American Airlines customer review

Economy PAP-Ft Laud-Dallas-YVR. First leg ok - on time and crew fine. Got caught in Ft Laud customs grubby facility more than 2 hours to get to an officer (5 on duty) - but US Citizens breezed through their own line while the rest of us shuffled forward. I politely mentioned I was going to miss my connection (no sympathy) and was told "be quiet and stay in line." Got to baggage claim and another massive line to leave - AA agent tried to rescue me and was rudely treated by customs and I was put back in line (I said nothing). From there on a gong show with AA - later and later flights missed connections no one to help at the gates sent into a line for help and told "we are closing - sorry" leave security and come back in and see if an AA check-in is open. Got some polite help from one AA staff - ended up stuck overnight. Next leg to Vancouver in a brand new plane with TVs in the seat (I am used to that on Air Canada) - many passenger asked for - PA announced "this is a new plane we don't know how to operate the TVs either - if you need help ask a young person they might know." Cabin crew were surly and short with very polite passengers. Never ever AA again! Arrival customs in YVR in spacious and attractive area with passport scanners and pleasant officers.

(Costa Rica)

I am still not a big fan of AA but it looks like that they are now working harder to provide to their pax some kind of decent flight experience. Flew recently SJO-MIA-DEN/RT. On SJO-MIA still operating the old 757 but with a refurbished cabin at least. MIA-DEN newish 737-800. Nice aircraft. Ground handling efficient and friendly. They assigned me an exit row and main cabin exit seats for free without asking. All pilots talked to the pax providing a lot of flight info. The winner was the 757 Captain of the flight MIA-SJO. After appreciating his clients over the mike he also took the time to bid a farewell to every pax exiting the plane with a Thank You and a smile. Even though their inflight service still leaves a lot to wish it is a nice manner to show each passenger the value they deserve. Overall a good experience and I'll fly AA again.

American Airlines customer review

Chicago to Dubai Frequent Flyer on American via LH. Been a loyal customer since the 1980's. It's really a shame how this airline has degraded. The planes I fly are always really old virtually no entertainment system at all if it even works there's no leg room and seats are often old smelly and sometimes broken. On one flight the bathroom floor was cracked. Staff are always great but they have a really poor product to work with and their frustration shows. After all these years finally had enough will be checking out from American after next flight such a shame.

American Airlines customer review

DFW-SEA in new 737 which was refreshing compared to previous AA flights on old planes however the new seats are cramped and feel more uncomfortable than older aircraft. In seat VOD is a huge improvement however it appears that AA will be charging for this in future along with earphones and food. Another downside is that the screen does not adjust. Even with the seat in front not reclined the viewing angle for a person of average height is poor and soon results in a neck ache. There is the question of service or more particularly lack there-of and attitude. This flight was no exception and service was delivered abruptly and with only occasional customer respect. I asked for a cup of tea (complimentary) and was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag on the side. With AA it's a case of get on board (sometimes you're welcomed other times you're not) sit down pay for everything other than basics (and if you want water mid flight go get it but be sure to ask permission if you're not interrupting the staff talking to each other at the back) don't complain then get off (and you might get thanked for your custom from an FA who might be sat on one of the seats - although at least the Captain often thanks you). On the plus side this flight was very punctual and baggage delivered quickly but that speaks more to the efficiency of others.

American Airlines customer review

Flight Zurich to JFK. Very old 767 plane - 21 years - showing excessive wear and tear. Dirty torn carpets and seat covers. Such an old and poorly maintained plane does not feel safe. No entertainment system other than a shaky old style TV hung from the ceiling. No magazines or newspapers provided (other than the thin airline's magazine). Food quality was average - liquor costs extra. The only commendable thing was the friendly crew and the fact that the plane was at most half full. Apparently the word about these run down planes has spread and few people choose AA on a route which also has a direct flight from Swiss. AA terminal at JFK is catastrophic. Luggage takes almost an hour to arrive and when departing the wait time at security was exceeded 90 minutes.

American Airlines customer review

MAN-JFK. Used Oneworld (BA) reward miles. I had the lowest expectations having flown AA many times in the past both business and pleasure although not for some years. Check-in and security were the usual Manchester Airport slick and fast why can't Heathrow learn from them? On boarding we were met by a smiling and effusive purser who was greeting every passenger. Don't know if my BA Gold Card had anything to do with it but we were seated just behind Business in extra leg room seats. Yes the plane was an antique and had no seat back entertainment which almost beggars believe but it was clean and all seats and trays appeared to work for AA an achievement! We departed on time and arrived on time. We were served the preposterously named "International Flagship" lunch which was actually not bad for economy. Apart from the excellent purser the cabin crew went through the motions but were not rude or bad tempered which is a major improvement. US immigration was fast and the staff actually smiled. AA cabin crew and US immigration staff smiling what is the world coming to? Overall we were pleasantly surprised and would use again for the benefit of flying direct.

American Airlines customer review

LAX-LHR return in Biz. AA put their new 777-300ER on this route and I have to say that they are nearly on the top of the market with this product. Lounge at LAX - not so great I am EP the highest but have to admit the lounge is lacking lots of food options. There were nearly none except few sandwiches. Compared to BA First class in Terminal 3 which is not their best the AA just does not stack up. The aircraft itself is great. Biz has walk-up bar which if the flight attendants are not too lazy has constant food. And this is where it becomes tricky. Flight attendants on AA are hit and miss. I flew them 5 times in the past few months. The same route. Sometimes you get great serving people who really care and would do anything for you and then you get a lady like I did who when I walked up to the bar in the middle of the flight and asked for a glass of water - since there was none anywhere had to close her game on her iPad annoyingly lifted her eyes and proceeded to look. When she found the bottle she slammed it on the bar and said " You will be able to pour it yourself - I hope". Seat itself is great. I recommend row 5 window - it has an extra space to store your stuff. Plenty of room to stock things up. Food - really great for biz class they elevated their game with wines as well. I can't fault them for anything in terms of hard product. The choices of movies - great. I am comparing to my recent trip on BA which had about 1/3 of movies. That really surprised me. All in all AA is trying but it has to do it faster better and more efficiently.

American Airlines customer review

March 2014 AA 39 London Heathrow to Miami. AA2438 Miami to San Jose. 16th April 2014 AA 353 San Jose to Miami. AA38 Miami to London Heathrow. Haven't even travelled with AA yet but already we are thoroughly disillusioned. Have travelled business class with many different airlines over the decades and never experienced such disregard. For personal reasons we need a window seat and aisle so the moment we book a flight we go online and book our seats. These are always without fail honoured. But American Airlines have already thrown us out of our pre-books seats 3 times relocating us in inappropriate seats and separated! Each time we have re-books seats but today find they have moved us again and suddenly all other seats are full! We phoned only to be told that they were not prepared to move other passengers despite them being single travellers even though they had moved us three times without reference to our wishes. We are no longer looking forward to our journey and will be avoiding AA in the future.

American Airlines customer review

From reading the list of reviews I don't understand why anyone would fly with American Airlines I however am military and am forced to fly what is given to me. Today 21 Feb14 flying on orders from San Antonio to Fort Walton Beach I was forced to pay to have my baggage checked for the first time in 8 years. I fly often and usually have 1 to 2 bags that weigh from 60 to 100lbs and have never been asked to pay. AA seems to have different requirement on baggage weights from state to state. I had no problem with baggage fees leaving Fort Walton but was charged 125 dollars on my return flight departing San Antonio.