American Airlines

Customer rating from 1993 reviews

American Airlines customer review

April 24th from MSP-DFW-SAN. No major complaints in-flight arrived close to on time. I was concerned when I was unable to check in online so I emailed customer service and they apologized for the issues they were having with the American/US Airways merger. It was all good as I was able to check us in and print our boarding passes at the airport kiosk (even though the message when I tried to check in online said "see agent at airport"). All in all a fine experience. My next flight will be on Spirit Airlines so wish me luck.

American Airlines customer review

Worst airline I have flown with. American Airlines should be branded a budget airline. Flew from JFK to LHR and the experience was beyond belief. Firstly I was charged an arm and leg for excess weight off my bag. Secondly the staff on AA should get training serious training and customer service skills. The food is almost non existent seats are worst in class and the TV's are approx 4inch which are well scratched and used!

American Airlines customer review

I just returned from a trip from Seattle WA to Punta Cana DR and back. I told my husband after the first plane that I would never fly American again. It was 3 planes there and 3 back. The seats were the most tiny and uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. I am 5 ft 2 and 115 lbs so by no means am I a big person. The staff were awful. I have never met people so disinterested and rude. When leaving Punta Cana we sat in line for 1.5 hours because there was no one there to check us in! Every other airline were getting people through. We made it to our flight in the nick of time. We got there at 4am and didn't get to the plane until 6.25 and it left at 6.50. They were almost done boarding. I do not recommend this airline.

American Airlines customer review

From Sacramento to Dallas 4 of us booked our trip in early January. Final destination Paris France. We tried to select seats but arrived to find our seats changed. None of us together and 1 was the very back where it was so very noisy the flight was miserable. In Dallas we switched planes (again operated by American Airlines) what was supposed to be a 2 hour layover became an 8 hour layover. The legroom was non existent and when the people in front of us tilted chairs back we could hardly move for 10 hours. miserable. I will not support American Airlines to Europe or even to Dallas. I am not sure if they have just gone downhill or what. I must commend the fellow passengers for their tolerance of such a crummy flight.

American Airlines customer review

CDG-ORD-BWI operated on a Boeing 767-300 and an Embraer 145. I have Gold status on AA so I was able to obtain a Main Cabin Extra seat on the first flight free of charge and an exit-row seat on the second flight. The ground experience at CDG was okay and they were pretty well organized. The first flight took off on-time although we had to board by bus (something that probably irritates every passenger). Cabin crew were okay and there was no IFE which I knew to expect even though practically every other carrier has it by now. The connection at ORD was amazingly painless and security was a breeze. The Eagle flight was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft but we landed a mere 30 minutes behind schedule and my checked bag was waiting for me on the carousel just 10 minutes or so after landing. All in all fairly satisfied.

American Airlines customer review

DFW to MOB flight AA2981 and AA3377 MOB to DFW. On our round trip flight so far 2 of the 3 aircraft's have had maintenance issues resulting in delays missed connections and waiting on standby. We have yet to hear a single apology.

American Airlines customer review

Tampa to Chicago O'Hare on 28 April. Check-in was fast but very unfriendly. Cabin crew were unfriendly and uninterested. Plane was cramped and service was almost non-existent. Only thing offered was soft-drinks. No hot drinks snacks or food available which is pretty poor for a what's scheduled as a 3 hour flight. No entertainment on offer the flight got me from A to B but that's about it. I've had better service on Ryanair. Not a great addition to the Oneworld Alliance.

American Airlines customer review

I am currently sitting at LAX airport and having the worst experience I had with an airline. I arrived in LA this morning by Qantas from Perth-Sydney and upon going through the "Express Connection" I was informed by one of the ground crew members that I would be required to take my luggage and check-in inside the terminal. When I arrived in the terminal I was sent by American Airlines employees to 3 different places to try to drop-in my baggage. When I finally arrived in the last spot (45 min prior to flight schedule time) I was informed that I wouldn't be able to check-in my bags nor take them in the cabin despite having had checked-in on-line prior to going to the airport. She them put my wife and me in "stand-by" list for a flight 2 hours later and checked our bags-in. I was placed in second in the list at that moment (again according to the front desk lady because I am a "One World Sapphire Member" and would be put in front of other people in similar situations. In the half hour preceding the boarding time our name had escalated to 6th and 7th on the list. I tried to (very politely) speak with the lady at the boarding desk 3 times but she in each time she rudely answered "Stand-by I will be with you in a second!" In the end she suggested that one of us should take a remaining seat and the other wait for the next flight. We decided to do that as the next flight seat wouldn't be warrant as well. Everything was dealt in a rush/unplanned manner showing AA have no control to handle such situations. Now I am here hoping to not get bumped again or get stuck in LA for the night after 16 hrs flying from Australia then meet my wife at my destination and go to the hotel to have a rest. This was my first flight with AA and certainly the last one.

American Airlines customer review

MEX-DFW-YUL Business Class. We were lucky enough to get a discounted fare so that Business Class was a bit cheaper than the economy class fares available. On the MEX-DFW leg plane was an old and a bit worn out MD80. Good flight with a really kind and helpful flight assistant who spoke a perfect Spanish. I don't fly AA often but I must admit that I've always found nice and smiling staff both in business and economy class. Good to know that if you have an international connection via DFW you no longer need to retrieve and recheck your baggage to your final destination. We went through immigration very fast and headed for the Admiral's Club which is really disappointing: no snacks except for cookies only 1 alcoholic drink per person unfriendly staff. On the bright side wifi was good and the view on the tarmac was excellent. The DFW-YUL leg was on a newer 737 and it was an uneventful flight with a good lunch but a very poor selection of drinks. Nice staff.

American Airlines customer review

I flew from San Francisco to Heathrow on April 26th and found the airline crew working in economy to be both unfriendly and unprofessional. The most senior of the crew had an abrupt manner I noticed on more than one occasion her behaviour towards passengers who accidentally happened to get in her way in the galley area there was no politeness shown in terms of politely asking them to move but eye rolling and heavy sighing. My pillow happened to fall into aisle without my knowledge and I was reprimanded by this senior crew member for allowing this to happen! The crew whilst serving beverages/food would not engage in any conversation or pleasantries with passengers instead they would look right through you if you smiled at them they would not smile back when I exited the economy area on leaving the plane a couple of the crew stood near the exit area and there was again no pleasantries or smiles just silence. Only on leaving the plane did a friendly crew member who I believe had been working in First Class or Business Class speak to me and said 'thanks for flying with us have a good day'. I have flown with many airlines and I have to say that my return flight home with AA was the worst experience I have ever known and because of this I will not be flying with AA again. AA show a video to their passengers before a flight which promotes the technology investments they have made in relation to improving the customer experience. I would recommend to AA that they focus more attention and investment into the training of their crew to provide a better service to their customers.