American Airlines

Customer rating from 1912 reviews

"Comfort of the seat was very good"

Trip Verified | Flew Miami to New York City. First time in economy in the new 737MAX. Seat pitch was fine, couldn't tell it was reduced from 31" to 30" as the seat is thinner. Comfort of the seat was very good for the 2hr and 30min flight. Power outlets at every seat, separate USB also at eye level which can be used for charging. FA's were really nice and pleasant, full can of soda and cookies or pretzels. I really appreciated the female FA who politely ensured that everyone's seat back was upright before takeoff and landing. Left on time, arrived early. Luggage was already out when we got to the belt. Competitive pricing. Honestly I think American Airlines is doing a great job. If you are a member of the Admirals Club, the lounges in Miami are great.
AircraftBoeing 737MAX
RouteMiami to New York City
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"polite, helpful and respectful"

Trip Verified | Flew American Airlines from London Heathrow to New York JFK. Greeted by friendly and helpful staff at Heathrow. Plane was practically empty so myself and my mother had a row each. Cabin crew were polite, helpful and respectful. Food was tasty and filling, even the dairy free meal was appetising. Seats were comfortable and reclined well, legroom was more than enough for 6’1”. Would definitely fly again.
RouteLondon Heathrow to New York JFK
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Flight attendants were attentive"

Trip Verified | Flew Las Vegas to New York JFK. A very comfortable day time flight on a beautiful day. The pilot/copilot described the flight path while we were on the ground and alerted us to what we should look out for. I was thus lucky to be in a window seat. The tour guide role the cockpit crew played was excellent. A breakfast meal was served. Later on, snacks, soft drinks, hot drinks, and liquor were offered. Although the business class cabin was full, it was spacious and quiet. Flight attendants were attentive. The cabin had drop down TV monitors, no movie selection was available though you could choose from a range of music channels. Seats were wide and leg space ample. It might have been more relaxing if there were foot rests. We were kept informed of the progress of our flight including any holding delays near JFK. I found all this information very useful. Another well run flight by American Airlines - on time departure/arrival, helpful and informative staff, a decent meal and snacks, and clean cabin and lavatory. Given the many negative comments about the airline, it appears that there is a great deal of inconsistency in their service, in the training of their airline, and by aircraft and route. On this trip at least, I had no issues at all.
RouteLas Vegas to New York JFK
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"the worst in customer service"

Trip Verified | Flew San Diego to Philadelphia. I've avoided American airlines at all costs and only fly with them when my company books my travel. They are the worst in customer service. The plane is clean but my flight had no entertainment available. No big deal for me, but a 6 hour flight should have a plane with something. Forced to check my roller at the gate due to space availability, get on the plane and there's tons of space. That annoys me to no end, and they just don't care about your personal belongings (whether you receive them and the baggage claim). I hate American Airlines, from the first time they lost my bag with my most important belongings, then gave me the run around to avoid helping me retrieve my bag or reimburse me. I see nothing has changed.
RouteSan Diego to Philadelphia
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"delayed due to mechanical issues"

Trip Verified | Due to fly Des Moines to Charlotte. Over 5 months I have flown American Airlines 9 times. Every flight was delayed due to "mechanical issues". 4 of those flights had no working restroom. I own several older vehicles that run better than AA planes! My confidence in this airline is so low I am seeking other airlines and paying more to get on planes that work. This cannot be coincidence that only the planes I am flying are like this. As I write this, my flight is delayed. Mechanical issues. Cannot wait to get in the air so we can test AA's equipment with several dozen lives on board.
RouteDes Moines to Charlotte
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"have no idea about customer service"

Trip Verified | American airline employees are liars and rude. They took off 45 minutes late as Phoenix was telling them to since the airport has only one operable runway. They said it impacts all flights, so in theory our connecting flight would be delayed as well. After running the entire length of the Phoenix airport and getting to the gate while the plane was still sitting there and the door to the plane was still open, they would not let us board the plane. Rip off airline! Use another airline!! They make you miss your connection and act like they didn’t do anything wrong. Save yourself and your vacation from dealing with them. They have no idea about customer service.
RouteMonterey to Washington via Phoenix
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"will rather pay more to fly with someone else"

Trip Verified | Due to fly Atlanta to Dallas Forth Worth. I will never fly American Airlines again. Terrible customer service on the phone and in person. I completely understand them being a billion dollar company and not caring about my little money but to be rude and not helpful is another thing. Rep told me I don’t care if you want to fly with another company. Why would you push a customer away? I will rather pay more to fly with someone else.
RouteAtlanta to Dallas Forth Worth
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I warned my travel party"

Trip Verified | I warned my travel party before we left that we should not fly with American Airlines since I had so much trouble in the past. I have never been so right. Our first flight was delayed and my daughter and I ran to catch our connecting flight. We made it in time and I told the ticket attendee that my mother who is 66 years old was right behind us with my sister. The reply I got made me see red. The attendee informed me they had one minute and forty five seconds to get there. Then she informed me we were all "degated" and she had a volunteer she was going to seat. 1 minute 45 seconds has not expired yet and she says the door is closed and shuts the door. Right as my mother and sister arrive. Next flight is 6 hours later putting us at our destination at 1030 pm. So having all this time at the airport, I decided to write a review.
RouteCharlotte to Burlington
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"should get a polite a courteous reception"

Trip Verified | I just had the worst customer service I’ve ever had with an airline. American Airlines customer service at Philadelphia International Airport has totally gone to pot. Now you not only have to tag your own bag and put it on the conveyor, but you have to put up with some of the rudest counter staff in the airline industry. After I tagged my bag, I went to weigh it and the woman asked for my boarding pass and ID. I held it out for her and she asked again for my boarding pass and ID. I said here it is, and she said again boarding pass and ID. She would not take it or ask me to display it, she just asked for boarding pass and ID. So, I separated them and she said OK. She didn’t get a look at the ID, just saw that I had it in my hand. I could have shown her a library card as far as she knew. Then at the TSA, when I walked up to the Kiosk and held out my boarding pass and ID for the woman there she didn’t take it, she pointed to the front of the kiosk where she wanted me to stand without saying a word. I fly into PHL often and this was the worst customer service I have ever had at any airport. When you are paying a thousand dollars for service on American, you should get a polite a courteous reception. I remember when flying meant great customer service, but now it seems like you really don't want us here.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RoutePhiladelphia to Charlotte

"stewardess berated me"

Trip Verified | Midland to Lafayette via Dallas. This was the worst flight I have had. An older female stewardess berated me in front of everyone twice, once for not knowing it was not free seating like my pleasant flights on large Southwest aircraft, and again when I asked what type of cookie, she rolled her eyes and tried to shove it at me, very rude. The next flight the male steward called me out on overhead mic cause I had to use restroom.
RouteMidland to Lafayette via Dallas