American Airlines

"I'm never flying on AA again"

Verified Review | Denver to Quito via Dallas/Ft. Worth. So we planned an awesome trip to the Galapagos and made the mistake of purchasing plane tickets to Quito Ecuador on American Airlines. I made the horrible mistake of screwing the time up and arriving at the Denver airport with only 45 minutes before the plane was scheduled to leave. When we got to the ticket counter the American Airlines (AA) ticket agent told us that they closed acceptance for luggage 5 minutes ago, so they don't let us on our flight because of 5 minutes! This is where we really got shafted because we asked them to find us another flight to get to Quito and they did, but they gouged us for an extra $2500, which was $1500 more than the original cost of the tickets, we were furious, but with all the other reservations and time taken off work what could we do but let them take advantage of us, so we paid. The ironic rub to that flying out experience was the return flight from Quito, which AA delayed over 3 hours and only gave the excuse that it was "legal" issues. When I complained to them in an email they admitted that they didn't plan well enough in this computer age for a flight that had been scheduled for months to be able to have pilots that were rested enough to make that flight according to the FAA, so they held the flight until the pilots were legally rested. So this corporate giant wouldn't hold our outgoing flight 5 minutes so they could load our luggage, but they didn't mind messing up every passengers connecting flights on our return flight because of their own lazy planning. I'm never flying on AA again and if you can avoid it you shouldn't either.
AircraftAirbus A319/320
RouteDenver to Quito via Dallas/Ft. Worth
Date FlownOctober 2017

"normally the service is great"

Verified Review | Denver to Norfolk. I used to love American Airlines. The planes are comfortable and normally the service is great. Plus, they take care of their Active Duty military, such as myself, but the last time that i flew, I had a lock on my bag get cut off, and had my PS4 pro, controller, and power cord get stolen. Ive flown my PS4 before many times with no problems. No one has ever cut the lock to get to the items.
RouteDenver to Norfolk
Date FlownNovember 2017

"found the flight most enjoyable"

Verified Review | Miami to Houston. I found the flight to be most enjoyable. Refreshments were available for purchase. No problems were encountered.with either the check in or the flight itself. Miami airport is a great airport to fly out of.
RouteMiami to Houston

American Airlines customer review

Verified Review | Miami to Raleigh Durham. At the boarding, the attendant determined my carry-on needed to be checked stating that my bag was big, to which I replied that I always use the same carry-on and it was extremely lightweight. Then she stated that there was not enough space in cabin, and she checked my carry-on. I entered the plane and to my surprise there were plenty of empty room across the plane and on top and front of my seat #28, more than two compartments empty near me! This situation is unpleasant, uncomfortable and shows lack respect for customers who as myself, prepare in advance for a faster way of moving between airports.
RouteMiami to Raleigh Durham
Date FlownMay 2017

"disappointed in first class"

Verified Review | Was very disappointed in first class service on an international route from Santa Ana to Rome via Dallas. First flight, SNA-DFW boarded aircraft and no one offered to hang my coat. Had to locate the closet and do it myself. Was seated 75m before offered a drink, and then 5m later before I'd even taken a sip my food was brought. I asked her to put it back into the oven until the happy hour was over. Flight from DFW - FCO also problematic. Had to ask two different staff how to put down the table. I had pre-ordered the duck and it was really awful, like what I'd imagine they'd serve in prison. Not a first class experience at all (I remember flying JFK - LHR on Pan Am and they carved meat for the meal right from the cart). An hour before the flight landed, I was asked to return my headphones so had no inflight entertainment last hour of flight. Why can they not do their housekeeping duties after all the passengers have left? They seem to have a checklist of duties to perform and they just want to rush through with no care for the inflight experience of the passengers. Quite a different attitude than from AF, KL, LH, OS, LX, or BA (even though BA is racing to the bottom to meet the service standards of Easy Jet and Ryan Air -- they charge £3 for a car of coca cola and there are no meals on board anymore). I returned on AA in Economy and had a better in-flight experience (the meal was good). Very disappointed and First Class costs $3,600 one-way I note.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSanta Ana to Rome via Dallas
Date FlownNovember 2017

"My last flight with them"

Verified Review | San Diego to Pittsburgh via Philadelphia. I am sorry for the poor review I am going to give. The staffs at the check in and the gates were rude and unprofessional. They focussed on charging 50 dollars for a carry on item. I do not mind paying if that's the rule and did so graciously. What matters most is the way 'ill trained' staff treat you. Sorry American Airlines. It used to be one of highly professional flights a few years ago. Good luck in recuperating the business. My last flight with them.
RouteSan Diego to Pittsburgh via Philadelphia

"Horrible, horrible"

Verified Review | Due to fly from Philadelphia to Orlando. Horrible, horrible. We were supposed to land in Orlando for 8.59, instead we were in Tampa. That's okay because of a problem in Orlando, but to give out water and no food vouchers with no idea of what time our families will eat. May I add my luggage is still on the plane and I have to wait to take my meds. I will never take American Airlines again.
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia
Date FlownNovember 2017

"didn't even call or announce our name"

Verified Review | Our plane was delayed 30min from SFO. We got to PHX at 7.20. The flight was completely full. We asked the flight attendant to assist us to deplane as we needed to catch a connecting flight to Austin at 7.43. She said we have plenty of time and she can't do anything to help us. We ran to our gate which was all the way on the other end of the terminal. PHX airport is massive and it took us 20+ minute sprinting to our gate. If anyone who knows PHX airport, we went from gate A23 to gate B26. Got the our gate at 7.40 but the plane had closed it doors. Apparently the gate agent let the gate closed without us. They didn't even call or announce our name. So we end up paying for our hotel and got a standby ticket for the following day. Never again. This will be my last trip with this airline. The last time we flew with Southwest, they opened the door for their passenger who was late.
RouteSan Francisco to Phoenix
Date FlownNovember 2017

"has lost my business forever"

Verified Review | Raleigh Durham to Cancun. I've traveled American Airlines for years, multiple trips with the same luggage. Today my carry on was suddenly too big by 1/2 inch so they made me check it. Needless to say, rude personnel was the start. Upon boarding, there was multiple bags larger than mine, very confusing. On board the employee rudeness continued. Everyone was very unfriendly and had poor attitudes. American Airlines has lost my business forever! To boot, flight is delayed and no one is prepared for the flight.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Cancun
Date FlownNovember 2017

"won't be flying American anymore"

Verified Review | Booked to fly from Seattle to Indianapolis. First off, this is my fourth (and final) flight with American Airlines in the past month. Every single flight has been delayed for one reason or another resulting in me missing two flights. Then when you go to the agent and set up a new flight that's not for five more hours they act like they're doing you a favor by moving you up two rows in the flight. I won't be flying American anymore, I shouldn't have strayed from Alaska/Delta.
RouteSeattle to Indianapolis