American Airlines

"constant delays were unreal"

Not Verified | Philadelphia to Atlanta. Absolutely horrible. Not only was my flight delayed by 4 hrs than its original departure time of 5:30, but they also left the lights on the airplane the entire ride from 9:30 to 11:30 while most passengers wanted to sleep, this prohibited a lot of passengers including myself from sleeping. The only snack your offered are pretzels. I also didn't get my bag about 12 to 12:30. The constant delays were unreal. I didn't get settled at home until 1:30 in the morning, which caused problems for me the next day. Then when I opened my luggage the next day it was clear that my luggage was handled extremely poorly. I wrapped a glass picture frame in clothes so it wouldn't get damaged in flight as I've done before with delta without a fragile sticker being placed on it and with delta it would always be fine, when I opened my bag the frame was shattered and the broken glass had ruined my picture. There was also a 10min delay getting off of the plane. Then when I went to the train to go to baggage claim, the train was very slow, not just arriving to pick us up at the gate, but moving to baggage claim. I'd sooner fly on any other airline before ever flying American airlines ever again! Not to mention the train and airport was cold as hell, colder than normal.
RoutePhiladelphia to Atlanta
Date FlownJuly 2018

"I will avoid this airline!"

Not Verified | American Airlines seems to be uncapable to keep flight on time. I booked via British Airways and have a cancelled flight in NYC JFK. Rebooked next day via EWR with an initial proposal to have me in an hotel in LA Guardia after fighting for 1 hours with customer service I got an hotel in Newark and was able to enjoy 2,5 hours of sleep before my next flight going to Dallas before reaching my destination to Vegas. So I started my conference late and completely exhausted. Then on my way home, I discovered an unknown policy (was told is documented but could not find it despite search AA website) that you cannot register your luggage before 4 hours before the flight (funnily enough TSA ask to come 3 hours before minimum for international so be between 3 and 4 hours before otherwise like myself you will not be able to register your luggage and be stuck in an airport that has no business lounge facility. As a first class passenger I would expect a much better service so I will endeavour to never fly American again. I appreciated the service desk in JFK that thanked me for remaining so calm while she was getting annoyed for me. Is someone in AA listening to staff on the ground they seem to be facing and understanding issues much better than the management that creates policies. I will avoid this airline!
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteNew York to Las Vegas

"a poorly run company"

Not Verified | Portland to Charleston via Charlotte. We had a horrible experience. Our connecting flight was cancelled, when I went to the counter I was told my flight would be the next day. I'm three hours from my destination but because of the computer glitch they had days prior there were no rental cars. Anywhere. I asked to be put on a sooner flight and was given the flight at noon. 5 delays and 4 gate changes later we took off at 4 pm. I had to ask for a meal voucher for my child since we were at the airport for 12hrs. We were finally given one for lunch for 24.00 with the airport food costs that wawas enough for him to get a burger meal and me a drink. I will never fly American again. Those poor people working there have no power to give customer service for c.
RoutePortland to Charleston via Charlotte
Date FlownJune 2018

"It was complete nightmare"

Not Verified | Flew from Grand Rapids to VPS Florida and no problems on flight there. It departed around 730 am. I will say the staff seems to be rude and uncaring all the way around. It seems like they all hate their job. I left on a Thurs and returned on a Thurs late after noon to my final destination. That's not good since my arrival should have been Tuesday at 7 PM in Grand Rapids. Left Florida to Michigan via Washington Regan at 130 PM and didn't leave airport till 1030 am the next day. They were trying to put me on Thurs at 5 PM until I informed them I needed medication and couldnt wait that long. Also Nowhere to sleep. All chairs with arm bars. We we never offered a blanket or pillow. It sounded like constant construction the entire night and I was so cold from air blowing on us. I would have considered sleeping the floor but I had nothing but what I was wearing and back pack with limited meds and some personal hygiene. They wont offer you reimbursement because it a reason not covered. There is one customer service line which I and about 100 other people were in to find out about our flight. I spent about 100 on food which included snacks and water. I was so cold I bought 2 sweatshirt because 40 each or 2 for 50. Got kicked out of one side after last flight out and put into mid area until early flights came in and went back through security again. It was complete nightmare. I was only grateful I was alone and didn't have kids with me. I will never fly with American Airlines again. I making sure I bring my carry on luggage in case this ever happens again I am prepared. I'm am completely floored they call this customer service and treat their customers this way. There was a couple who had their flight cancelled 3 times and sat over night behind me. They were told the captain had too many hours so no one to fly the plane, also short on flight attendant.
RouteGrand Rapids to Destin
Date FlownJuly 2018

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Prague to Akron via Philadelphia.I flew on American Airlines twice. Once on the way to Europe in early June 2018, and once on the way back to the United States in mid-July 2018. On the way to Europe, my flights were delayed several times and I was 12 hours past my arrival time. On the way back, my flights were delayed and rebooked a total of six times. I eventually made it to Philadelphia at midnight (14 hours later than expected) and they gave me a hotel voucher where I could stay until 1pm the next day when my flight left for home. After waiting 40 minutes for the shuttle that never came, I ubered to the hotel. The hotel said American Airlines had met their quota and that they had actually sold all their rooms. I tried calling the corporate number and they said there was nothing they could do from there. I tried to call the airport and they redirected back to corporate. So I found the shuttle back to the airport where I was told that they didn’t have any more vouchers but if I keep my receipts they should reimburse me. Instead, I called reservations and demanded an earlier flight, which they somehow found. They dropped the ball on almost every aspect of this trip and I will never fly with them again.
RoutePrague to Akron via Philadelphia
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the most disgusting experience"

Not Verified | This was by far the most disgusting experience. Originally, I had been supposed to take a 8:19pm connecting flight at Boston to go to Philadelphia from Tokyo. As soon as the flight from Tokyo landed at Boston Logan Airport, I received two texts notifying the delay without being provided any reasons. At that moment, the flight was still supposed to fly at 10 pm, so I decided to stick to it and I checked my suitcase in. After that, they keep sending the delay notifications, which ended up saying "the flight was cancelled and your new flight is 5:25 am one" As expected, they never provided any reasons at all and I was kicked out of the security area around 12am, which forced me to spend some 4 hours outside and come back to line up for the security again around 4 am. When I asked about my suitcase I checked in at the gate after this reschedule, the crew said "that is a separated system and we have no information." The new flight departed without any trouble and I got my suitcase at Philly airport, which was the only good news. After I came back home, I posted a complaint through their system, which is not responded at all for more than 2 days. I would not blame any individual employee for this, but I should conclude that American Airlines' overall attitude towards passengers is nothing but disrespect. I will never ever ever fly with American Airlines again.
RouteBoston to Philadelphia

"3 flights cancelled"

Not Verified | American Airlines flight from Dallas to Charlotte was good. Then my flight from Charlotte to Fayetteville was cancelled. It finally did rebook only to be cancelled again. Now I have to spend the night, unexpectedly and catch a flight at 8am to a different city after waiting for hours to find out it was cancelled. Then I wasn't offered a voucher for a motel and I had to pay for that. Then I had to get a family member to drive 2 hrs to get me and 2 hrs back to try and get ready for my grandpa's funeral, the whole reason for the trip. Now for my trip home. 3 flights cancelled before I was given a flight on a different airline and 2 days later. I missed 2 days of work, I have 2 small children at home with out me. It was a horrible experience and all they offer me was miles to use. I don't even fly. This was an unexpected situation. There should have been some reimbursement from the 600.00 ticket. Not very good business.
RouteDallas to Fayetteville
Date FlownJune 2018

"unhelpful and rude service"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Boston to New Orleans via Charlotte. Our first flight was delayed by 8hours 26minutes since they had to do maintenance on the plane for 3-4 hours. After the maintenance, they noticed that they are missing one flight attendant, and we had to wait for him to arrive for over 4 hours. We were told that we would get a hotel at Charlotte, where our connecting flight would leave and were we would have to wait for several hours (original change time was 2 hours, now 6.5 hours). When we arrived, we were met by very rude loud American Airlines staff that were willing to do nothing about the matter or help us in anyway. Hotels were booked, but nonetheless they did not offer food or anything in compensation. Or even an apology (like it was our fault). To sumarize: if you want very bad unhelpful and rude service, delayed flights with sleeping on airports and lies atop of lies how "they will handle it". Fly with American Airlines. I certainly will never again.
RouteBoston to New Orleans via Charlotte

"excuse after excuse"

Trip Verified | Roswell to Louisville via Dallas. Excuse after excuse with delayed flights. Started off with delayed aircraft then told it was a maintenance issue and now with the flight leaving supposedly leaving two hours after it’s original departure time we’re being told we are waiting on a crew! Where was the crew that was supposed to be on the original flight? There’s no excuse for this, send someone from management to explain the issue not hide behind your desk and let your poor gate agents catch the brunt of people’s frustrations. Only using American because I booked through employer website, won’t use personal funds to fly this airline. Delayed my flight last week for an hour waiting on a wheel chair to be brought to remove a patient from the arriving aircraft. Poor service!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteRoswell to Louisville via Dallas

"Highly disappointed"

Trip Verified | Highly disappointed I suppose to travel July 16 from Sioux Falls to Cincinnati but 3 times delays and finally got 1 flight but to get another connection flight is to wait overnight in the airport. It takes me 2days to reach my destination which is 3 hrs total flying lengths. It’s seems like they care their business more not for customers time.
RouteSioux Falls to Cincinnati via Chicago