American Airlines

"overall experience was okay"

Trip Verified | Flew Charlotte - Frankfurt and return at the beginning of December. We opted to use frequent flyer miles so this was a good value in that respect. Both flights left on time and arrived slightly early and the pilots did a good job of alerting us to potential turbulence on the route. The seat back trays were dirty and flight attendants had nothing to clean them with but gave us napkins so we could wipe them ourselves. Seats were okay but no longer have adjustable headrests so not as comfortable as in the past. Cabin crew was what seems to be a typical mix on the legacy carriers - some were pleasant but some were decidedly cranky. Food service was minimal with small portions. Not a big deal for me as I don't tend to eat much on flights but big eaters would definitely be disappointed. Only one beverage service with the meal but drinks (water and juice) were set up in the rear galley so passengers could help themselves. IFE was disappointing. There appeared to be a decent number of options but the touchscreen was very unresponsive and required a lot of effort to move through the menu so I only watched movies and shows from the first page or so. The overall experience was okay and I appreciate the direct flight from North Carolina to Germany but American would not be my first choice for long haul economy as other airlines flying US to Frankfort seem to offer a nice experience.
AircraftA330-200
RouteCharlotte - Frankfurt
Date FlownDecember 2017

"happily surprised with the seats and aircraft"

Trip Verified | The aircraft appeared new, at least on the inside and was very clean. The flight was on time. We were given a pad to spread over the seat for sleeping along with the customary blanket and pillow. The seating is in the 1-2-1 configuration with the same controls and hardware that our Cathay Pacific flight had on the first leg of this trip (Los Angeles - Hong Kong), my wife and I had the two center seats. The business section began with row 4. We had access to Cathay Pacific's Bridge Lounge prior to the flight which was comfortable. It was a night flight (leaving at 7.40pm) so we were served dinner soon after lift-off. The meal was average, with a first course that was inedible (grilled cheese served ice cold and so dry it was difficult to cut or chew). I didn't see anyone eat that course-I wonder if AA gets any feedback on food selections that don't get eaten? The second course, scallops for us, was good enough to eat although nothing to look forward to. The flight crew was spotty in that some were attentive and efficient (in my wife's row) and some were harried, inefficient, and surly (my row). On the whole, the crew was nowhere as good and nice as those in the other airlines we flew this trip, which were all Asian airlines so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. Unfortunately, we had flown Cathay Pacific on the flight over to Asia which is a tough airline to compare to in regards to service although frankly any Asian airline we have flown has better flight crews (more service oriented and nicer) than American Airlines' crews. The Captain was informative as we waited to take off, which was nice. The entertainment options didn't include any recent quality movies although some quality older movies were offered (like "Casablanca"). The crew didn't bother to ask passengers to open windows when we landed in LAX which made landing a bit less comfortable. All in all we were happily surprised with the seats and aircraft but suffered through the kind of service that is characteristic of AA in our experience. This plane did offer wifi although business passengers had to pay for it ($12 for 2 hours was the shortest plan). It took so long to pull up the wifi plan options I figured the service would be to slow and didn't buy it. Apparently AA sees wifi as an additional revenue opportunity rather than a way to enhance business class and make it more competitive with other airlines. We had flown AA on a similar flight returning from Asia a few years ago and it seemed to us that AA is trying to improve their business class and it is better than it was then. Unfortunately for AA in that market the Asia carriers are often as good as it gets in terms of flight crew service which continues to be AA's weak suit.
RouteHong Kong to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2017

"would rate an absolute zero"

Trip Verified | Not happy with the service heading home to Columbus. My girlfriend and I were able to both bring our carry on from Columbus to DC. From DC to Columbus the guy boarding passengers to the plane said we could not take them on and had to pay 50 dollars each since we did not check them in prior. Nor did he allow us to use the bag measure. I want a full refund for checking my bags. I will never travel with American Airlines again. Customer service I would rate an absolute zero.
RouteWashington to Columbus
Date FlownDecember 2017

"ignored by the front counter lady"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to Colorado Springs via Dallas Ft Worth. Not only was I ignored by the front counter lady, she was rude and continued to ask even how old I was after waiting 30 mins for her to notice I was there. When I tried asking a question she said “be patient.” This doesn’t even start with the fact when I arrived an hour early they told me I had to arrive two hours in order to check my bag so they moved me to the next flight when the first part of this review occurred in Dallas. I recommend unless they get some new employees never flying with this flight. They will for sure never have my business again. I would rather pay an extra 200 dollars than deal with the people boarding American Airlines.
RouteSacramento to Colorado Springs via Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownDecember 2017

"the worst I have encountered"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Albany. In the past year I have travelled around the world and American Airlines is by far the worst I have encountered. Customers are treated with disrespect, not given updated information, and not treated fairly. Flights are delayed and cancelled due to maintenance issues. This airline does not warrant it's name. Pitiful.
RouteChicago to Albany

"Just poor all around"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to Charlotte. Terrible customer service. Don't fly Group 9 they treat you like lower class. Don't let you have another bag. They also trick you with their insurance, it's a waste of money. Just poor all around not flying again. I have had two workers from different flights tell me my ticket is worth nothing. I was billed for it and that's money I earn so don't tell me it's not worth anything when I paid money. Sorry I can't drop some dollars on first class doesn't mean you treat people less. Fly any other airline, any other one is better than American
RouteSacramento to Charlotte
Date FlownDecember 2017

"better experience than I expected"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Chicago. Business Class Service. Check in at Pudong smooth. Lounge available was Air China's First Class Lounge B71. Ample hot food available, good selection of beverages and also a bar service. Papers available as well. Nothing special compared to other First Class Lounges, but a freebie. Boarding was about 1 hour early. Orderly and smooth. Had seat 7A on the return. Second Business class cabin on board. Kind of Cozy. Seat 7A was excellent. Seemed like a lot more space, was not anchored with another passengers chair and comfortable enough that I slept for 7 hours... Flight attendants were attentive and friendly. Food service was ok. Taste of the seafood platter was bland, nothing to write home about. FA' came by often, but didn't ask if you'd like refills, just browsed by unless you asked. Did offer a meal before landing, but it was cold and not impressed. Overall a better experience than I expected and they are trying to compete with the Asian Carriers, but they have some room to improve. With that said, I still try them again.
RouteShanghai to Chicago

"Overall very satisfied"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Shanghai. Started out at the AA Lounge on Floor Two of the Admiral's Club, which is actually a Flagship Lounge. I did not expect much for a US carriers premium club, but was gladly surprised. Many hot Breakfast items, cold as well along with a host of other assorted goodies. Definitely worth a visit. You only need you boarding pass to show to the desk agent, to gain access. Must be a Business Class member or Ex Plat. Boarded early. Yes, an announcement is made in the club. Had seat 1L on the Boeing 787-8. I felt that it was kind of tight and the anchor was attached to seat 2L. Meaning you felt every movement of the other passenger. Although close to the galley for prompt service, kind of bothersome during the flight. Service was excellent. Food presentation and taste not so much. If you like a good cheese platter, you wont find it here, however, the attention to detail of the FA's very good. Plenty of current and classic DVD's to watch. Overall very satisfied with AA's service, but look to the Asian Carriers for a bit more care all around
RouteChicago to Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"it was a nonrefundable ticket"

Trip Verified | Cincinnati to Salt Lake City via Chicago. We purchased flights for our family of six (4 kids under age 6) to go to my husbands sisters wedding (Dec. 21st-25th from CVG-SLC) and my husband just injured his back Monday morning. I sent a letter through the online form to customer relations. Customer relations called me back this morning and said that all they can do is waive the change fee ($200 per person) for future travel because it was a nonrefundable ticket. I asked to talk to someone else. He said there is no one else to talk to and no number I can call and nothing else can be done. This is a family emergency and that is all they can do? They didn't ask to see the doctors note or a history of injuries he has had. It is hard for me to believe that after choosing them over every other airlines, they can be so cold to us. The flight date is not past. They could still fill the seats we won't use and I am sure some other family would be so glad to get to fly during this busy time, as we would have, had this not happened. A refund should be so simple.
RouteCincinnati to Salt Lake City via Chicago
Date FlownDecember 2017

"seats were very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to San Diego. This was a 5 hour flight and this was an ex US Airways A321. It did have the refurbished interior with new seat covers and carpets and overall a fresh clean cabin. But there were still no plugs, no IFE, just Wi Fi and GoGo movie streaming thru the American app (it actually worked very well, no issues at all and a decent selection of movies). But it makes no sense how they can put power ports on their 18 year old Ex US Air A319s but not a 3 year old Ex US Air A321. Nonetheless the seats were very comfortable with acceptable legroom and service was ok, FAs were average for a US airline, Flight left on time and arrived in San Diego 15 minutes early. Only thing I have to say is other than the red stripe on top of the seats the cabin was very very bland. Literally an all grey interior, grey bulkheads with no logos anywhere, grey and navy blue seats, grey carpet, practically all grey livery. Pretty dismal, also the cost for full Wi-Fi access is obnoxious. I bought a messsaging pass for 2 dollars which claimed it worked on skype but Skype said no internet, I could only use iMessage (no SMS) and I couldn't send pictures which was annoying because when I bought GoGo on US Airways in 2014 I could send and post pictures. AA doesn't like to say these Ex US Airways A321s exist, to know what kind of plane you are on look at the plane type on your reservation when you get your ticket. the Ex US Air A321 will be marked "321" the new refurbished one with IFE and plugs is marked "32B"
RouteCharlotte to San Diego