American Airlines

"finally got re routed"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Medford via Phoenix. Was grounded in Dallas with mechanical issues for 4 hours until we finally got re routed to Seattle instead of going to Phoenix. Get to Phoenix and was told our flight into Medford Oregon was canceled that morning! Wanted us to spend night in airport until 9 am Friday and told no other flights. Finally got on Alaskan flight and had no issues. Come back Sunday make it to Phoenix to board plane and have mechanical issues and get late start and miss connection flight in Dallas. Ridiculous.
RouteDallas to Medford via Phoenix
Date FlownAugust 2018

"wouldn’t allow overhead access"

Trip Verified | I paid for a normal flight to Memphis from Pittsburg which has a layover in Philadelphia. This flight allows you to bring one bag that fits under your seat as long as it’s the appropriate size which I think is 18”x14”x8” which my bag was 14”x14”x8”. They wouldn’t allow overhead access which is a new rule but it can go under your seat. I applied by this rule. As I’m boarding the plane they told me I had to check my bag and couldn’t board with it. This is absolutely bogus. I had to complain to them to let me bring my bag on. They told me there wasn’t anymore overhead bin room. Great, I get that, but mine fits under the seat as I premeasured my bag. They said they didn’t care, they didn’t have overhead bin access so I had to check my bag. I told them I understand that there isn’t but mine fits under my seat. They then tried to say that it didn’t matter because I had two bags, the second being my purse... since when do purses count? But that could also fit in my bag so i put my purse in my bag. They eventually let me take my bag (which comfortably fit under my seat) but I had to complain to them more than enough times. They made multiple people check their bags for no reason.
RoutePittsburg to Philadelphia

"grossly mismanaged"

Not Verified | Orange County to Washington Dulles. Our flight was redirected to Austin due to storms in Dallas. I get it. Refueled and flew to Dallas after 1.5 hours in Austin. Connecting flight rescheduled 4 times then finally canceled. Have been sitting on the ground now in Dallas for 2 hours “waiting for a gate” - Dallas is an AA hub. Ground logistics here are grossly mismanaged and an absolute disgrace.
RouteOrange County to Washington Dulles
Date FlownAugust 2018

"They cancelled our flight"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Las Vegas. Horrible customer service. They cancelled our flight and offered us no compensation whatsoever. No meal no hotel stay not even a discounted room rate or flight discount. If you would like to be told to wait in an airport for 14 hours this airline is for you.
RouteDallas to Las Vegas

"Thank you so much!"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Duluth via Minneapolis. There was an issue with a plane leaving from Dallas to Chicago and the delay was going to make me miss my connection which was also the last of the two flights that go into the city. I understand that it’s they deal with a lot of angry people but this time I really needed to make my flight for a work obligation. I received little to no help at the desk & was told to call the 800 number. I am so glad I did! I spoke with Deborah (we had the same name) she went above and beyond any flight line agent I’ve ever had (and I fly frequently) I am beyond impressed! She did not have to try to help me as much as she did and calm me in a stressful situation (on the verge of an anxiety attack to calmly writing this review on the plane). She stayed on the phone working a ton of logistics for almost an hour, she stayed on the phone until I was able to confirm I was good to go for my next two flights! She was so kind and helpful. Very appreciative - even in a delayed flight and other less friendly reps. I still give the highest rating because she made up for it all with! Thank you so much!
RouteDallas to Duluth via Minneapolis

"worst cancellation problems"

Trip Verified | Washington to Cincinnati. I fly regularly for business reasons, and among all the airlines, American has consistently had the worst cancellation problems and the worst infrastructure for dealing with them. No hotel--not effort to get creative in rescheduling (through connecting)--long delays in customer service that prevent the fixes I independently create. Just fly Delta.
RouteWashington to Cincinnati

"disrespectful, unhelpful"

Not Verified | Reno to Dallas. Do not fly American Airlines. As a young first time traveler I was unaware of how poor customer service would be. We came from Reno trying to get home to Hartford which requires a connecting fight in Dallas Fort Worth. My younger sister and I got to our first gate no problem where they spent 20 minutes begging people to check luggage causing the line to back up. The plane took off late. We thought it wasn’t a huge deal because we had time between flights. Both flights were booked through American which I thought would make them a little more aware of delays with other planes. Myself and 6 other very kind people missed our connecting flight to Hartford all on the same plane. We landed and sat on the ground for 25-30 minutes “waiting for a gate and crew.” They closed our flight because we got off the plane too late by no fault of our own. They then sent us to customer service where we waited in line for about 40 minutes for them to tell us the only other flight to Hartford was at 7:30 am the next morning where we again would have to get on a connecting flight in Chicago. The people were terribly rude at the desk where they then told us it wasn’t their fault and we would have to cover all our room costs to stay the night in Dallas. Flights are not cheap making this service completely inexcusable. It would be a whole different thing if this was an inexpensive product. My sister and I ended up pooling all our traveling money together to spend $90 to stay in a room over night. I wish I could give them zero stars. To be fair our flight there was not something to complain about, but they have lost my business forever. Not to mention all the other people on my same flight who missed their connecting flights. With this first hand experience I would never recommend American Airlines to anyone who would prefer to not be treated like a piece of luggage themselves. If you want disrespectful, unhelpful, ridiculously rude customer service this is the airline for you.
RouteReno to Dallas

"nightmare and dissatisfaction"

Trip Verified | Kansas to Barcelona via Chicago. I had been traveling since June 10th when my plane left from Kansas City at 7:00 pm. The plan was to fly to Chicago and then catch a 9:15pm international flight to Barcelona. Then by 9:30 pm June 11th I would be in Amman, Jordan. However, things did not go as planned when my Kansas flight got diverted from Chicago to Madison, Wisconsin due to a storm. Since then, it has been nothing but a nightmare and dissatisfaction with American airlines. In Madison, I waited in line for over three hours along with other passengers to make travel arrangements and hotel reservations. I was the last person to leave the airport, around 2:30am on June 11. The AA staff then assured me that he made my reservations and had rebooked all of my flights through the rest of my international, arrangement. He printed me the boarding pass to Chicago and also to Paris. He informed me to come back in the morning to check-in my bag and sent me off to a hotel. Well, I was back by 9:30am at the airport to start my journey. I checked in and got my boarding passes to Chicago and to Paris. However, the staff informed me that since they made my connections through Delta, they wouldn’t be able to print the boarding pass from Paris to Jordan and that I would have to do that in Paris when I landed. However, they assured me that all is good and that my bag, has a label to AMM; it will continue to Amman. I took their word and got on a plane to Chicago; landed there and continued to my Paris flight. Seven hours later I landed in Terminal 2A in Paris at 10:05 am, June 12th. My supposed flight to Jordan was going to leave around 3pm. So, I ran to get to terminal 2E. I did get there, but I needed a boarding pass to cross through security. First, I tried the kiosks, but was not successful. I talked to an Air France person who informed me there was something wrong with my booking and that I needed to speak with Air France customer service. Luckily, it was just a few feet away; however, the line was 100 feet long. So, I waited in line for 90 minutes. When I got to the customer service representative, they informed me that my reservation was not done correctly by AA and it was cancelled. They told me that the plane to Jordan was full. The representative also said that I would need to talk to American Airlines to fix their mistake and rebook me on another flight. This meant, I had to run back to terminal 2A. I did run to Terminal 2A to find AA counters closed for the day as their last flight was leaving. Luckily, there was somebody trying to get to the locked office who agreed to try to help. Now it was past 1pm, 3 hours after I arrived and I didn’t know if I would ever leave the airport and join my family who travelled one day before me on Sat. Thinking I will be joining them just a day later. It is now 2 days later and God knows where my bag is now. After about 40 minutes, the AA staff told me that he booked me on two Turkish lines arriving in Amman by 11:55pm. I waited for 4 days in Amman for my bag!
RouteKansas to Barcelona via Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Flight was delayed"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Palm Beach. This airline has often changed our flight times and seats. What is the point of setting up days off and meetings if the airline cannot stick to the schedule they came up with? What is the point of paying extra for a specific seat if they are going to change your seat? What is the point of only having Wi Fi entertainment if the plane has no electric plugs to keep your device powered for 7 hours? I fly several times per year from Florida to the mid west and west coast. On this particular flight the flight attendant passed my row for snacks and drinks. Flight was delayed for departure and I was hungry. I asked her for a snack when she two rows back, rather then walk back two rows she said she would come back. After landing I asked her why she did not come back and why she passed my row - she said that she got busy and tried to get my attention 5 times. I asked my wife and friend sitting next to me if she tried to get my attention and they said no.
RouteCharlotte to Palm Beach

"horrible service"

Trip Verified | Gate crew was horrible! I flew in from Abeline, TX and connected in Dallas before heading home. My flight in Abeline required a gate valet for my carry on because the plane is super small - 3 seats across and I can’t stand up straight in the cabin. No problem, as they met us at the arriving gate with our bags. Having not removed the valet tag, the gate crew in Dallas wouldn’t let me take it on the plane, even after showing it clearly fit in their sizing frame, and after watching countless other passengers board with even larger bags. I have flown with this carry on bag countless times with no issues, including flights on American. Rather than seeing that the bag fit, they forced me to check it anyways because heaven forbid they be proven wrong. Screw American Air and their horrible, horrible service.
RouteDFW to SMF