American Airlines

Customer rating from 1993 reviews

(South Africa)

The food was ghastly. Dallas Fort Worth to London breakfast was a measly white bread bun bare on the tray (no plate or even plastic) with butter and cheese with a small tub of yoghurt and a small orange juice. The dinner chicken tasted awful. The service from the cabin staff was abrupt and short. Some hand wipes at meal times would be great as the toilets left much to be desired. Also at meal times they would not remind passengers to put their chairbacks up like the attendants on the other airlines I mostly use. I think Qatar Airways is doing itself a disservice by aligning with American Airlines on code share flights. I particularly booked with Qatar Airways as their service is always impeccable.

American Airlines customer review

If there was a way to rate this company's service to a score less than 1 I would do that. I booked my flight all confirmed connecting through Chicago. In Chicago after a gate change and an hour delay they cancelled the flight to my destination. No options no direction just cancelled. Then after 30 min on the call I talked to them for rebooking. Nothing available. I got someone at a kiosk to help and they booked me on a flight 2 DAYS later whereas I had to be at a conference the next morning. Needless to say that was not an option. I rented a car and drove 10 hours straight to my destination getting to my destination at 4am. Then it is time to get back home and they tell me they have canceled my return ticket because I did not complete my trip. No warning no notification nothing. Just cancelled. So I had to pay for another ticket to get back home. There were many people like me on that plane. People from across the world who couldn't even speak English and they were lost and confused. I ended up helping one of them. There is no excuse for this. This is the worst none customer service oriented company I have ever dealt with. Avoid this airline by all means even if you have to pay a little more to go with another airline.

American Airlines customer review

We flew Toronto to Chicago; paid almost $700 per ticket which was very expensive considering it was an 1.5 hour flight. When we booked the flight we thought it was through WestJet as it was advertised that way but in small writing at the bottom it said operated by American Airlines which we didn't see when we booked the flight otherwise we wouldn't have booked it. We had a very bad experience with AA a few years ago and refused to book any more flights with them. This time both flights were delayed. When returning they had oversold so my sister and I volunteered to take a later flight. That wasn't the issue. The issue was the incompetence of the staff; it took them an hour and a half to figure out how to give us our vouchers which is ridiculous because they told us we couldn't leave the gate until they gave us the voucher so we couldn't even go and have dinner or anything. On top of that the rep there kept saying she had no idea what she was doing and this was her first time doing vouchers - then get someone who knows what they're doing rather than wasting an hour just trying to figure it out yourself doesn't give us a lot of confidence in your abilities. Other issue was that they kept changing the gate to the flight (it was changed 4 times no exaggeration) and when we would go up to the desk to make sure it was there every person at the desk was extremely rude and one actually said to us "can't you read the monitor?" and when we explained that our ticket had a different number than what was on the monitor they gave us a dirty look and said that what they had was right (it wasn't in the end which is pathetic). it would be nice that if you were going to change the gates; at least inform people and let them know. Another minor thing was with the flight attendant she was grabbing something from the bin above my sister and her bag kept hitting my sister's head several times; and she wouldn't even apologize even though she saw it happening; she just gave us a look like how dare you sit there and be in my way when she was the one who was in our way. Very rude and terrible customer service. Will never fly again; I am not even going to use my voucher because that would mean I would have to travel again with this airline.

American Airlines customer review

Was delayed out of DFW to SAT last night because after a long (DFW) taxi to the runway for take off we were informed that there was an issue with one of the computers. We were all curios as to why we got so close to being in the air before this "issue" was noticed - it is pretty obvious it wasn't Pilot error they completey felt our pain as did the flight attendants and gate workers. Of course we were re-booking a whole (S80) plane so it was obvius that we would have to wait for a plane to dead head. Fortunately that didn't take too long and we were just 2 hours late getting into SAT. Cudos to Capt Smith and his first officer for getting us home safely and the flight attendants that had to be dead on their feet undoubtably they all had a very stressful evening.

American Airlines customer review

Hope to never fly American Airlines again. I Was flying from Wichita KS to Dallas to my final destination Las Vegas on 5/18/2014. Our 3:00 flight was delayed by almost 3 hours. Things happen so that was not a big deal how the situation was handled is my issue. All passengers with a connecting flight from Dallas was asked to stand in line there were about 40 to 50 passengers in line. There 2 American Airlines Rep working the counters needless to say they were very rude and short. They acted as if they were the one with the problem. They acted as if they did not care if the passengers found a connecting flight or not. I stood in line from approx 1:30 pm to 4:15pm well over 2 hours. Each Rep spent an average of 20 to 30 minutes per customer. At 4:15 2 more Reps appeared from the back however they did not have a clue what they were doing. The first guy told me that all Dallas flights were full and there was nothing available until the next morning and when I arrived in Dallas they would arrange for a hotel for the night. The person in line behind me; also going to Vegas was assisted by a different Rep who manage to find a flight for her and her 3 children. So I went back to the counter and spoke to a different Rep who was then able to find me a flight home that night. Needless to say this whole situation was very stressful and left a very bad reflection on American Airlines.

American Airlines customer review

First and last time I will fly AA. Was "bumped" off original flight without being asked just told "sorry you are now on next flight". Next flight was supposed to be in 35 mins. I told flight attendant that if the flight was late I would miss my connecting flight she said "sorry I don't make the rules". Gentleman beside me said he would gladly wait for next flight as he didn't have a connection to make. She said "no sorry". Of course the flight was delayed and I missed my connection in Chicago. Once in Chicago I was told the next available flight was the next morning and no hotel or food voucher would be provided as it was an "ATC" issue not a AA issue on why there was a delay. What is ATC I asked - Air Traffic Control. AA had lots of people "sleeping" in O'Hare airport and it really was sad when you see seniors in wheelchairs having to sleep in their wheelchair because the cot they received was too low to the floor for them to lay down. Then the kicker is at 4am security is yelling wake up time to move along sleep time is over get moving. As I said first and last time I and many others will be travelling on AA.

American Airlines customer review

When we arrived at the airport all of the other airlines had fairly short check-in queues American Airlines filled up their queue and had a line going 30 yards down the hallway. It seemed that their computers must have shut down because the line wasn't moving. It took us two hours to get checked-in and check our bags. We would have been late for our flight but it was delayed anyway. The delay was over an hour and once we did get on the flight the seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. Our delayed flight caused us to only have 30 minutes to catch our connecting flight- which ended up leaving 10 minutes early (I am not making this up)- meaning we missed it. They issued us tickets for the next flight 3 hours later. We had confirmed seats on the ticket and everything but when we went to board the plane our tickets got flagged as invalid and we were told by the attendant that we were actually in standby- the plane ended up being full and we were not allowed on. So at this point my wife (7 months pregnant) is about to lose it and they tell us we can possibly fly out at 9 PM that evening. We do make that flight and arrive at our destination at midnight missing our evening plans and exhausting us. Again the flight itself was awful. I had taken 4 advil at this point and still had back pain. Never again American Airlines never again.

American Airlines customer review

Connecting flight from Dallas to Knoxville cancelled for "maintenance". Customer Service agents were clueless and basically no help and really not concerned that the flight was cancelled. Stayed in airport for 5 hours attempting to get on another flight via standby with no luck. Once it was determined I was stuck in Dallas they provided vouchers for a place to stay (can't call it a hotel) and $19 worth of food with the next flight out the next day. After waiting for the shuttle for an hour we finally were on our way for a good nights rest or so we thought. Once we arrived it was obvious this was a pay by the hour motel called "The Night Hotel". Wow This place was basically a brothel built around a night club. The next morning we were waiting on our 5 AM cab ride to the airport and 4 prostitutes came walking through the door. Bottom line I can't believe American Airlines had the audacity to do what they did.

American Airlines customer review

Cancun-Dallas Had a connecting flight from Dallas to Toronto which was delayed for several hours then ultimately cancelled due to "a missing captain". We had to re-book with an extremely rude and unsympathetic Customer Service Agent who told us that the next available flight was 10 am the next morning. We were traveling for a total of 36 hours. We were offered no compensation for the cancellation no apologies no Hotel or Meal vouchers. We had to sleep at the airport on a chair. Needless to say we will no longer ever use American Airlines to fly.

American Airlines customer review

Chicago ORD to Boston. They got me to where I wanted to go at a reasonable time at a reasonable price. Can't blame American for the delay. I didn't expect free food or free alcohol. B737-800 was fine and so was the crew.