Southend Airport

Southend Airport customer review

Having used the airport a number of times I can certainly say that it is by far the best airport for short haul flights. So often you find yourself walking for miles before you reach your gate - here it's up some stairs through security down some stairs and you're at the gate. Forget gate #98 - there are only about 6 gates. You're not made to walk past hundreds of shops - there are just three airside and the only ones you need in an airport; a cafe/restaurant a newsagent and duty free. The lounge is basic but does the job and given the nature of the airport and the fact that you do not need to spend long there it is sufficient. The speed of the queues is amazing - the best I've experienced anywhere. Arrivals are amazing the best coming home from Dublin took me 30 seconds from going into the terminal to coming out. I have used easyJet and Aer Lingus and I am looking forward to flyBe and SkyWork.

Southend Airport customer review

I frequent airports world-wide with work and holidaying. I have never in any country I have been to been treated in the way which I was at London Southend airport. The security staff were roaring at us and pushing us as if we were dogs. They had their own rules from what I could see about carrying liquids. They would only allow one clear bag per person which had to be sealed so they had no problem in throwing out what could not fit into this one tiny sealed clear bag. This has never been "the rules" at any other airport I have been to so long as the liquids were in a clear unsealed bags and under 100ml. This whole experience unfortunately took the good out of my holiday and general perception on London as a tourist.

Southend Airport customer review

Without question the worst airport experience of my life. There is no option but to deal with the security staff at this airport - they are often the people who check you in and onto the plane. And they are the rudest people you will come across as well as being incompetent. I was one of many who missed my flight today as a result of unnecessary delays from security staff. I was then threatened with being thrown out of the airport for complaining and told they 'don't really have a complaints process.' Please avoid.

Southend Airport customer review

Flew to and from Geneva with easyJet and the entire experience was great. Having decided that my wife and I would rather drive to Geneva than use that well known 3rd World Airport just north of London and known as Luton the news that easyJet had started a regular service from SEN was welcome. From the ease of car parking in the long- stay pre-paid car park to the short walks to terminal then to the aircraft made departure so relaxed. On return the flight arrived and we were in our car and leaving within 25 minutes despite having to collect baggage. Well done LON-SEN and easyJet for flying from this airport. Just thank goodness we don't need to go through Luton any more.

Southend Airport customer review

Again another great trip through here nice and quiet breezed through security and all the basic facilities you need rather than trying to turn it into a huge shopping mall. All the staff were very polite and helpful and the airport spotless and now even more room with the new terminal extension. This is my third time through Southend and I will use it as much as I can in future. Just one little gripe had to wait for sometime for our baggage on the return trip which was a bit frustrating as we were the only flight in and there was only a few waiting for baggage.

Southend Airport customer review

Security check allows some passengers to get away with more than the 1 litre liquids allowance others don't no lounge facilities for frequent travellers terminal facilities limited no tax free international terminal? Always problems with rental car (Europcar) ridiculous prices for one beer waiting area not very inviting sorry but when my destination was not so close I would fly somewhere else (I fly every week).

Southend Airport customer review

Although the airport is very clean and modern it is let down by the rude and inefficient security staff who were an irritant both on departure and arrival. Passport control especially on arrival was slow and there was insufficient space in the arrival hall to accommodate everyone comfortably. To add insult to injury the long term car park tried to charge me £50 to leave despite the fact I had pre booked and prepaid my stay in full. My advice would be to avoid this airport and look to use Stansted or Luton instead.

(Spain)

Not really fair to review the facilities as the new extension is due to be opened any day and this should alleviate the current shortage of seating in the departure area. I would however hope that once the new extension is open gate 1A will no longer be used. This gate entails a walk from the departure gate to the aircraft under a semi-enclosed walkway open to the elements on one side. I can't imagine this will be much fun on a cold wet windy day in February especially as there may be a need to wait in this walkway for some time [10 minutes in our case] before boarding proceeds.

Southend Airport customer review

First time through SEN ended up one way as a big storm caused me to re-route back to LGW. Very good from start to finish - ground staff working well-security perhaps a few more smiles but that section was very busy. Once through enough space for the departing flights clear flight calls and only a short walk to the aircraft. Will use again especially as the building work is nearly done (Dec 2013) and it will be 3x bigger. I arrived by train 100 m platform to door. All in all will be using whenever I can now. One footnote never seen so many careful cleaners doing a good job-the place was spotless.

Southend Airport customer review

I have flown from this airport several times over the last year and every time I am impressed. This is undoubtedly the most pleasant airport I have ever travelled through miles better than the alternatives such as Stansted and Luton. By virtue of its small size passing through is incredibly swift I have been on the train to London within 12 minutes of arriving! I have never had to queue for any length of time at security and although the terminal is compact it copes admirably even when busy and results in very fast transit times through the terminal. There's lots of building work going on at the moment yet this has not impacted adversely on the airport experience. When the terminal extension is completed by the end of this year the airport will be even better! Could not recommend more highly the airport deserves every success.