Southend Airport

Southend Airport customer review

Recently flew Southend - Barcelona and return I found the whole "Southend" experience very poor. Cramped departure lounge rude arrogant security staff found myself waiting around for 20 minutes in a walkway to a building site on return had to walk over 5 minutes to passport control which had big queue's even for EU passport holders? Overall not a pleasant experience and I will be looking towards other airports now this airport is neither big enough nor capable enough to operate as a low cost regional.

Southend Airport customer review

Charging people to drop off friends and relatives in the car park opposite the terminal is unacceptable. There is no set-down area. I always get the taxi to drop me off at the roundabout!

Southend Airport customer review

If this airport does not sort out its problems with Passport Control it won't survive. My flight into Southend took 1 hour and 35 minutes which left me with 40 minutes to get my connecting train. However it took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get through passport control. For people to have to stand queuing for 75 minutes at an off-peak time while border control sit there without a care in the world is totally unacceptable. To do this to passengers at midnight is criminal. I will go back to using Stansted - its not ideal but it beats Southend.

Southend Airport customer review

An ok airport. Easy check-in and through security but the departure lounge was a let down. One overpriced cafe with very limited choices and mediocre to poor food and no cleaners so was a bit messy. Calls to gates were an hour before departure even though they are literally 2 metres away meaning snaking queues all through the departure lounge. A convenient airport but don't expect any frills!

Southend Airport customer review

Used this airport for connecting flights to USA via Dublin and vice versa and it couldn't be any easier-parking available directly opposite terminal or train station for/from London/East Anglia opposite the terminal-check-in took minutes one floor up passport/security control then down to ground level to wait in terminal for flight and short stroll to aircraft - not that many creature comforts in the terminal but perhaps things will change when T2 opens late 2013?t Stress free environment and would use this facility for flights to USA/Europe over STN/LGW/LHR anytime because of ease of use/convenience/time and cost saving.

Southend Airport customer review

SEN-FAO-SEN: Well after my last visit in December I was hoping that this was going to be a repeat performance and I am glad to say it was. I was a bit dubious when we got to the airport to see 3 easyjet flights departing at the same time as I thought it would be very overcrowded but no it was very comfortable and relaxing it brings back the memories you used to have when you travelled through a UK airport. Security did seem to be a little short on staff who were having to skip between the load and the bag search but they coped admirably. Keep up the good work and I hope with the new terminal extension things only get better. I will definitely travel from Southend again.

Southend Airport customer review

I only flew into this airport from Amsterdam so cannot comment on what it's like to depart from there but the experience was the best I've had arriving in the UK. I was expecting something pretty dire so it was a lovely surprise. Security took 5 minutes while the bags were being loaded on the carousel next door and we were outside in about 15 minutes tops from getting off the plane. Railway station is directly opposite and we were on a train towards London in only a few minutes more. It was Sunday so it was a stopping service but it goes via Stratford so brilliant for anyone who lives near the north London Overground. It's a very intimate little airport with a preserved vulcan bomber on show and it's very friendly. The terminal seems to be about to double in size - the additional part looked pretty-much finished but wasn't yet open when we were there so if it gets busy in the summer I guess that will markedly improve that. However the whole complex is brand new. Full marks from me and I'll definitely be flying through it again if I get half a chance.

Southend Airport customer review

What a pleasant change to fly from a hassle free airport- no queues - no stress and no problems unlike Gatwick or others.

Southend Airport customer review

Early morning departure to DUB with Aer Arann. Very disappointing promises of London City experience have not materialised. 5 flights all leaving at the same time caused total chaos pre-security totally disorganised boarding card checked 3 times for no reason. Not enough seats for everyone queues snaking everywhere. Business lounge not opened during this rush hour so nowhere to escape. One café which ran out of most of hot food tables dirty. Not a single cleaner in the terminal so all looked very tatty and dirty. No toilet paper in toilets. Staff running around like headless chicken. The only positive was arrival as there were no other flights off the plane in the car in 6 minutes.

Southend Airport customer review

It's okay for departures and despite being compact the departure facilities were pretty good. However be warned that when you return the arrivals area is totally inadequate I ended up waiting on the aircraft apron area with many other passengers waiting to get inside for immigration clearance and then the tiny baggage carousel. Arrivals area is badly planned and having to wait around outside near the airport vehicles in just not acceptable.