Southend Airport

"made to feel a nuisance by staff"

Not Verified | I was disgusted by the way I was treated as someone who needed help to access the plane. As a full time wheelchair user I was belittled and made to feel a nuisance by staff who didn't know what equipment to use and the safest way of using it. I was eventually, after a lot of arguments, forced to try and walk to my seat as there was no suitable transfer chair available that would fit into the aircraft. At one point the staff actually tried to manhandle me, despite me telling them that to do so would cause me immense amounts of pain and damage. All of this was despite having booked full assistance and carriage of my electric wheelchair in advance.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"terrible airport"

Not Verified | Absolutely terrible airport. Rude staff, security was a complete joke, rude arrogant staff again and everywhere you go outside people are trying to fine you for all sorts of parking or driving violations. Never again.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Bye bye Southend Airport"

Trip Verified | My son dropped me off at the terminal entrance. I hopped out immediately and he left straight away. I was filmed by the (Stasi?), my son issued with a £60 fine rapidly escalating to £100. Bye bye Southend Airport. See you in another life maybe, but certainly not in this one. Stansted from now on. Same for all my family members. Enjoy your short-lived £60 gain. You are the loser ultimately. Enjoy your ill gotten gains. Your future cannot be good using such dishonesty on customers. Other customers be warned. Avoid this airport at all costs! Signed: "Once Bitten......."
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Over the top security"

Not Verified | Used Luton airport 10 days ago without a problem. Because I use a medical urine bag it shows up when I pass through the scanner, meaning I am subjected to being frisked. This is embarrassing enough, but Southend security decided to cause me even more embarrassment by taking me to a side room and taking a swab to test for explosives. Over the top security for a near 80-year-old. Last time I use this airport as apart from the above problem the set up is getting worse as the traffic increases
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Car park charges are astronomical"

NotVerified | Car park charges at this airport are astronomical, you can’t even drop off and collect now without having to pay a charge. So greedy. Shame, otherwise it would be a lovely airport.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"now the same as everywhere else"

Trip Verified | Used to like the airport but now the same as everywhere else. Smallest airport charges to drop off passengers which is just greedy. Security is a joke and now you have to queue for an hour to get in. Would have recommended last year but get the impression their management can’t cope with the extra passengers, disappointing.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"use it only in daylight"

Trip Verified | I was very disappointed that upon arrival at the airport at 1.30 at night I found the airport entrance hall closed. People were standing outside like homeless people or sitting inside the train-station on the floor. I was lucky that when I arrived it wasn’t raining and it was relatively warm outside. I needed to use the toilet after hours of travellig and as everything was closed the toilets were locked as well. Luckily there was a kind man at the train station who opened the toilet there for me. It is disgraceful. Some travellers don’t live in London or in the area and travel long hours so they can get their flight and instead find the airport locked so they cannot use basic facilities like the toilets. Next time I am travelling I will definitely use a different airport and company for my travel. I know that staff were just following the rules established from higher up. In general the airport is clean and staff helpful. However I wouldn’t recommend this airport to anybody or tell them to use it only in daylight.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"small cosy airport"

Trip Verified | Amazing small cosy airport, staff are very helpful and aware if you’re lost in the terminal, food is amazing in departures, might have had a bit too much of it though. But all together everything is amazing.
Date VisitJune 2019

"a lovely local airport"

Trip Verified | This is a lovely local airport however the only criticism is the state of the Ladies toilets. When I used them yesterday (17.00hrs) they were absolutely filthy - no soap and disgusting toilets. I don't know why they cannot keep the toilets clean - other major airports with far more passengers are able to do so - absolutely disgusting!
Date VisitJune 2019

"horrific place and service"

Trip Verified | Avoid like plague. Their lack of management caused lots of people to miss their flights on the 6th March 2019. Luggage checked in and accepted about 1h before departure (after a long queue). Joined another terrible queue for passport control, where no staff or managers were present to check or help those with immediate flights. Fast lane was opened next to this queue, empty, with member of staff onlooking and not having the initiative to ask for help. We approached a member of staff to ask if we should be moved through fast lane, as flight was soon departing: reply was all will be OK, no worries, they will wait for you! Zero announcements in the airport, no warnings whatsoever. At passport control, an alert for imminent flight departure flashed on screen. To no avail, same result, another member of staff just asked us to wait in queue at security. After security check (the third queue) was eventually passed, we arrived at the gate, only to be told by a junior manager that we are now denied boarding and that the pilot decided to unload luggages for all those caught in their queue. 20-30 people affected. We were all made to wait 45 min to get luggages back (plane was late to do this, instead accepting people arriving there because of the ground staff inability to do their jobs properly). A couple of hours extra followed, to get explanations and pathetic excuses. No alternative flights offered, the only junior manager present totally overwhelmed by the situation (video available). I will never set foot in this place again and ask you to consider very careful when choosing this airport. Their complaints service even asked people to use their insurance to get money back (have it in writing), no apology or accepting any fault on their part even if they caused a few holidays cancelled etc. (heard a couple next to us who missed their connection to Dubai and the entire holiday). Absolutely horrific place and service, stay away, just choose a proper airport.
Date VisitApril 2019