Rhodes Airport

"the tannoy system is a shambles"

Arrival at Rhodes Airport as a Schengen passenger - checked in luggage quick to arrive and a reasonably clean toilet is available. Nothing special and nothing to complain about. Departure was another story. Ryanair check-in opens 2 hours before departure time. Very few seats in the departure hall available. Check in counters have very bad signage. As said many times here, after checking in you have to go to another queue to drop your bag off. Next step is the personal security check and lots of shouting officials at the security itself. After that a long walk to the departure gate. The gate area is a vast room with enough seats for everybody but the check for boarding was at the entrance of this room and we had to wait, with very few seats available, until the staff from the check-in counters transferred to the boarding check. There were separate busses for priority boarding to transport passengers from the gate to the plane and this was a nice surprise. However, the tannoy system is a shambles. As already said by other people, what a difference between the island and its airport. Because of the arrival I rate this airport as a 6.
Date VisitJune 2016

"processed by one person only"

Arrival at this airport was not too bad at all. Very quickly through immigration and baggage collection followed shortly. Departure was tantamount to awful. Queue to check in and weigh baggage, queue to have baggage screened, queue to get through security and then one mass of humanity trying to get through immigration. I am not exaggerating when I say that maybe two or three hundred people were waiting to be processed by one person only. The toilets were mostly broken or not working, were filthy and stank to high heaven. Food vastly over priced and of poor quality, need I go on. Such a shame that a facility such as this has to be endured after enjoying all that Rhodes has to offer.
Date VisitJune 2016

"overcrowded with huge queues"

Have had the misfortune to use this airport on a number of occasions since the early 80's and I can honestly say it is just as bad now as it was then. We had a superb holiday in a wonderful hotel but would really think twice about ever returning due to the dreadful airport. Overcrowded with huge queues and very hot even though it nowhere near the height of summer. Toilets disgusting. Food choices very poor.
Date VisitJune 2016

"check in process is diabolical"

On arriving in Rhodes, we had to wait outside as our coach hadn't arrived, then when it did we sat and waited for the other passenger flights to come through, all in all we set off for the hotels 90 mins after landing. Now, you will be wondering why your pick up to go home is 4 hours before flight take off. The check in process is diabolical, there were 13 UK flights on the board as well as other destinations, everyone queues randomly, no structure, people with excess baggage weight hold the process up no end, we queued for 90 mins just to get our cases weighed then queued again to put the cases through a scanner and off they go, then it's upstairs to go through security and passport control, there are people so close to missing flights going to the front of queue, passport control man, well, he's getting paid to not do anything, wasn't interested. People sat on floors waiting for flights to board. We had a fab hotel and holiday and this certainly made coming home more painful than it already was. Rhodes again. Probably not. Until someone puts a simple system in place in departures I don't think I can go again. We were told by tui rep at airport that weekday flights at the airport are smoother than Saturday's and that June, July and August are worse than what we experienced.
Date VisitMay 2016

"long and winding queue"

A shambles, we were dropped off at the Airport Departure doors but couldn't get through as there were 6 flights all due to depart within 30 minutes of each other. We joined the long and winding queue and it took us approximately 2 hours to move 100 yards, as we were packed in like cattle the heat was very uncomfortable. People were arriving after us and joined the queue wherever they liked which meant our wait time was extended. The few Thomson reps that were there couldn't offer any help other than to say the plane would wait for us, it was boarding as we continued to wait to get our bags weighed and then we had to join another queue to put our bags through the security scanner. We really enjoyed our holiday but due to this experience will not return, the pilot said he had never known anything like it but looking at previous reviews I don't think this was a one off.
Date VisitMay 2016

"what a fiasco"

We had booked the Airport Lounge as we normally do at any airport we depart from. Do not bother. We checked in and then had to go to another desk where we waited for the airport staff to have enough people to go to the lounge. The Lounge is not airside, but is accessed through a staff security screening of all hand luggage etc. We were taken along staff corridors and eventually go to the Lounge. We were then advised that we would have to be escorted all the way back again to the main terminal and then proceed through the normal passport control and security to get to the departure gates. All this on the other side of the terminal. We decided that we didn't want to risk missing our flight and asked to be taken straight back. What a fiasco. From what we saw of the lounge it was overcrowded with no seats available. It does not mention on booking sites that this lounge is not airside and I ask that anyone booking a lounge anywhere makes sure that it is. As for the rest of our departure experience, similar to that of all the other reviews. The worst airport we have been to.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"queue to check in and get your bags weighed"

Perfect end to the holiday for an Englishman abroad. I don't think I will ever be able to repeat this queuing experience in such a short space of time. 1) Queue to check in and get your bags weighed, once you find the right queue of course. 2) Join another long queue for the security control bag drop. 3) Then upstairs, duty free bound, but no, another queue for the personal security check, duty free here I come. 4) No, queue for passport control. 5) Duty free, select items, then, you've guessed it, queue for the 1 till for the 20 customers. 6) Into the gate area, no queue, feeling let down, but hang on, another queue to scan the boarding passes when the flight is called. 7) Yes, another queue waiting for the bus, can it get any better. Then on the plane and on to Manchester where they need to learn a thing or two from the Greeks, no queues, very disappointed. One more thing to cap it all off, the tannoy in Rhodes airport was so bad that British Rail would have been proud of it, unintelligible squelch, you could just about hear the company. Most of the staff were as friendly as time allowed, obviously overworked and vastly understaffed. I do have to say that we had a wonderful weeks holiday, everybody was very friendly and pleasant. Would visit the island again if I didn't have to use this airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"don't want to go near Rhodes Airport again"

Of all the airports I have flown to or from over 50 years Rhodes Airport has to be one of the, if not the worst. Toilets are a disgrace. Checking in is so confusing. Had to take bags to another section as the belts weren't working. Shops are very poor. Long queues to get food and drink. I loved the island, the people and our hotel was fabulous, but I don't want to go near Rhodes Airport again. What made it worse was we got caught up in the sinkhole chaos so had a 24 hour delay.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"disgusted with lack of facilities"

Just arrived back from Rhodes, and disgusted with the lack of facilities and uncleanliness at this airport. On arrival we waited almost an hour to collect baggage after moving from one pick up point to another before they finally arrived. Departure fiasco just beggars belief! We had to queue for over half an hour to check in bags only to have to queue once again to pass the luggage through security. The airport toilet facilities are a complete joke. Urinals full to the brim, floors swimming in whatever, no soap or towels to dry, and hand dryers that just didn't work. The women's toilets were the same with added downside of no sanitary facilities and a general build up of waste in the bin provided - disgusting! Moving on from checking in and onto security was not much better. One member of staff was rude to fellow passengers who she claimed had not complied with rules regarding cabin luggage and told the said passengers: "Go home to your country. We don't want you here" - all well and good when you've spent a fortune on their island supporting their economy and jobs!
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"disgusted at the attitude of staff"

Having spent a fabulous holiday in Rhodes and been met with real friendliness by the local people, I was horrified and disgusted at the attitude of the Rhodes Airport staff. I forgot that there was a half used bottle of moisturizer in my hand luggage, which I accept was my fault, however the barrage of insults and abuse I received from the customs man was uncalled for and over the top. He screamed at me and when my young son became upset, he told him to shut up! I then went to the duty free shop and was in line to pay for my goods, the female cashier was rude and obnoxious to everyone in front of me, then followed it up with "have a nice flight" through gritted teeth (obviously told to say this yet not mean it). Having paid for my goods, I asked her if there was an ATM available, she replied abrubtly "no" I then asked if there was one anywhere in the airport and she replied "downstairs, you should have gone down there" she shot me a look of disgust and impatience then shoved my bag of goods roughly to the end of the counter. I have to admit that by that point I'd had enough and told her she was rude! She seemed taken aback, obviously not used to anyone challenging her rude behaviour and she asked me to repeat what I'd said. I did and told her that she was rude, to a round of applause from the people in the queue. The toilets were the worst I have ever witnessed, bunged up, doors with no locks, we were taking turns to hold the door shut for each other. It was a dirty, disgusting airport, with rude staff, minimum facilities. Considering the amount of holiday makers who pas through this needs to be addressed urgently. Finally, there were not enough seats and people were sitting on the floor having already queued for hours to check in due to disorganisation.