Rhodes Airport

"Lovely island, it's a shame about the airport"

Verified Review | Rhodes airport was not very nice at all, go to the toilet before getting to the airport, or hold it until you get on to the plane, as they are filthy! I went into the toilets to get changed for my flight, and it had such a vile smell, people walked in and walked straight back out. Also if you're a lady, be prepared to have no toilet seat to sit on nor tissue (apparently nor did the men's). Security weren't very brutal with a family who had bottles amongst bottles of what they said was water? It could have been any clear liquid substance? And what happened to the 100ml allowance for bottles in your hand luggage? Staff had a very bad attitude in the duty free shop, and general airport staff. Lovely island, it's a shame about the airport. Another issue I had, was whilst queuing up for duty free things, I waited patiently at the till, and as it was my turn, the member of staff, got out her mobile and started making phone calls, she walked off and carried on her conversation elsewhere. Very rude!
Date VisitJune 2017

"Plenty of places to sit and wait"

Verified Review | I don't recognise most of the previous comments. Travelled from and to Athens on Aegean Airlines. Arrival: On time and bused to the terminal. No passport control as we were on domestic. The baggage hall was full and seemed chaotic - but our bags were reasonably prompt. Short walk to the Avis desk - and we were out of the airport withing 30 minutes of landing. Departure: Also on Aegean Airlines. We arrived 2.5 hours before our flight and we checked in with no queue. The departure lounge was reasonably pleasant. There is air conditioning! Well stocked duty free shops. 2-3 snack bars. The food looked good and was not overpriced. e.g. 4.5 euro for a large filled baguette. Plenty of places to sit and wait. Departure well organised - again via buses to the aircraft. I did see the other side of the check in area a few days previously when dropping off my son for a Thomson flight home. We got there 2.5 hours before the flight and the were 3 queues for all 3 Thomson flights. 4-5 people ahead of him, so he was checked in relatively promptly. However, within 10 minutes - a load of tour buses arrived and suddenly each queue had trebled in size. So timing is critical. My son had a trouble free journey through the various procedures. Tip - If, like us, you arrive with time to spend, there is a nice little Taverna within 5 minutes walking distance of the terminal. Check in first then go out of the terminal, walk to the right where all the tour buses park - up some steps and a ramp onto the main road - There is a taverna called Deipnos - we had an excellent lunch - so much better than being stuck in the terminal.
Date VisitJune 2017

"chaotic, tiring and hot"

Verified Review | Arrival isn't the worst, however there are very few carousels and as such 3 flights worth of luggage was eventually tipped onto one carousel - this seemed to take an absolute eternity - which with no air conditioning and some very tired children was horrendous. Departure wise this is sincerely, the worst airport I have ever had the misfortune to be in. There is no air conditioning - and Rhodes is a very hot place. We had to queue to have our luggage weighed and tagged, then we had to queue to check our luggage in, then queue to go through security (cattle class really did spring to mind here), then queue for passport control. It was chaotic, tiring and hot. The toilets are an absolute disgrace! Foul smelling, not one toilet had a toilet seat, the smell of stale urine was eye watering and a large proportion of toilets had no toilet paper. The sinks were filthy, there was no soap to wash your hands and I couldn't find paper towels. This was the same of both the check in terminal and the departure terminal toilets. They seem to put through far too many flights at the one time. It is clearly a small airport which can barely cope with this volume of travellers. Departure lounges were dirty with litter lying about - no bins for obvious reasons, but no cleaning staff to be seen. Genuinely, I will never return to Rhodes again because of this airport.
Date VisitJune 2017

"the most unpleasant airport I've been to"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Perhaps the most unpleasant airport I've been to. The toilets were disgusting, lacking soap and paper and cover. I had checked in through Finnair, so I was saved the long queueing contrary to all others. The Finnair plane was waiting at 50 metres from the window, but the only way the airport staff could transfer us to the plane was with buses. There was only one slow person at the gate, and our take-off was delayed with half an hour. No thanks to Rhodes again!
Date VisitMay 2017

"airport needs a complete re-think"

This airport needs a complete re-think on how it operates. To support many of the comments posted in previous reports: The queuing is ridiculous. We spent an hour waiting last night to check in to our TUI flight. The girl on our particular desk seemed to be having major system challenges when faced with any parties greater than 2. A supervisor did appear at one point to help her, but the system failed again with the next large group. Maybe the supervisor should have stuck around (Swissport please note). In the queue next to us (Thomas Cook) one gentleman fainted. No aircon working. The lady in charge of scanning the bags seemed to have taken her customer service notes from Basil Fawlty. The toilets are in total disrepair, No toilet seats, paper everywhere, flush not working. Flight delayed due to ground crew not knowing who was or wasnt aboard. I award the airport 1 point for having a runway.
Date VisitMay 2017

"run as effectively as it could be"

After curiosity struck me to see what other travelling people thought of this airport I decided to read the reviews written on here. I would just like to say that I totally disagree with many of these as the airport is run as effectively as it could be on such a small island. The only downside is the queuing and the scanning of your luggage, yourself. Yes, this is a pain and its not the most ideal situation but most airlines have at least 3 desks open were they try their best to cut down queues as much as possible. Queues are also long upon arrival at passport control, which may I add is more than expected, as some planes land within a couple of minutes with one and other and each passport must be checked upon arrival. I have arrived and departed twice from this airport now and during these visits the toilets have never been as poor as some people are saying. Also the overall quality of the airport is a good standard considering the country and the amount of people passing through each day. All I'm saying is travel with an open mind (you may be surprised) as its really not as bad as what some people are saying and certainly does not deserve a 1/10.
Date VisitJune 2016

"the main issue was the cleanliness"

Verified Review | The first thing that hit me on departure were the extremely long queues. If you checked in online the queues were marginally shorter, but if you had luggage, you still had to have it weighed and then queue up again to have it scanned. What a hassle that was. But the main issue was the cleanliness. I have been to many airports, but this is by far the most disgusting. The ladies toilets were revolting. No toilet seats wee all over the floor no toilet roll, empty soap dispensers and the hand dryers didn't work. There was a cleaner in there, but she clearly wasn't cleaning. Shame on you Rhodes airport. This was my first visit to Rhodes airport and it was not a good impression at all. The only positive thing that I can say is that the water was €1 which has to be the cheapest I have come across having come through security where you normally get charged the earth. In summary. A very rundown, dirty, smelly airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"need to get their act together"

We returned on an Jet2.com flight following a wonderful fortnight in Rhodes. When we arrived in Rhodes at the start of the holiday we were processed and greeted pretty quickly so cannot complain there. What a difference the return journey was, no sooner had we stepped foot out of our taxi, the Jet2.com rep informed us there was going to be a 2 hour delay but was unable to offer an explanation. Having read previous reviews whilst the process of check in is a bit long winded, we didn't have to wait too long as some of the other reviewers experience had been. I do agree wholeheartedly that this is an area that needs improving not just at Rhodes but other Greek airports. In terms of security and passport control I always find this a bit unnerving due to the hostile demeanour of the staff working in this field. I don't want them to be my 'mates' but a bit of courteousness wouldn't go a miss. Once checked in, the seating area was filthy, cups / food / debris all over the place, very few bins around (Granted for security reasons). But if you don't want us to dispose of our own clutter, ensure cleaners are constantly on duty. The toilets are as bad as previous descriptions - disgusting. The seating 'lounge' is so uncomfortable, as our 2 hour delay rolled into 2 my coccyx took a hammering. With our birds eye view we were able to witness the baggage handlers fiasco. Trailers of luggage were coming uncoupled and rolled back into the loading bay, the drivers were absolutely in oblivious. Luggage too was falling off the trucks and left on the runway, until somebody could be bothered to pick them up. Food is over priced and poor quality if you are not a lover of plastic sandwiches or fast food. The tannoy system was appalling - you could not hear or understand a word they were saying. Once boarded, granted the Jet2.com cabin crew were very apologetic for the delay and provided us with an explanation. All in all, I agree with previous comments, Greece relies heavily on their tourist industry, so they need to get their act together with the way they operate their airports. It would make me think twice about going to this resort again because of this airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"It ended up completely fine"

Verified Review | After reading the reviews on this site I was very anxious about my departure from Rhodes airport. There did not seem to be any info regarding online check in with hand luggage only. I worried about it all afternoon with two children on apparently the busiest departure day at the airport (Weds). It ended up completely fine, a bit of rubbish around. Ice creams for kids were overpriced, but not unusual for airports. We had carry on luggage and did not check bags. We also printed our boarding passes, checking in online, so went straight through security and to the gate. Hand luggage was not weighed, which was my main concern as we were over the 6kg limit for Thomas Cook. There was however a huge amount of people queuing to check bags in. So I can totally see why there would be problems, delays and the potential for a horrendous journey.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"it was a disgrace"

Have used this airport many times in the past at this time of year July/August though crowded there has been some semblance of coordination. This year upon departure it was a disgrace with queues from departure desks to the doors and as more passengers enterred there was no recognition of a queue. Children were distressed, arguements arose with queue jumping and I witnessed a disabled passenger totally disrespected by a tourist rep who himself was totally overwhelmed by the situation he was in. We were informed that this was commonplace on a Wednesday as flights are grouped together for departure. Customer satisfaction NIL
Date VisitAugust 2016