New York JFK Airport

New York JFK Airport customer review

After arriving on time on a flight from Europe October 19 spent 2.5 hours waiting in a hall with 2000 people simply to get into the passport control room lines. By the time we got our bags abandoned in a pile by the carousel three hours had gone by. If you think you are saving time by flying direct via JFK think again - you are better off getting a connection and flying into Newark which is bad but does not reach the lows of Terminal 3. Airport personnel are beyond caring.
Airport Shopping N/A

New York JFK Airport customer review

Arrived from Frankfurt on Lufthansa at T1 at same time as several international flights. Took 1 hour 30 mins from leaving aircraft to collecting baggage. All staff were polite and most of the TSA desks open. Left next morning from T7 on US Air. Check in and security only took about 20 minutes again no problems.

New York JFK Airport customer review

Arrived at Terminal 3 yesterday after a long flight from Rome Italy on Delta #245. It was a total nightmare. Can't believe how disorganized inept and frustrating the whole experience was from the time of arrival getting through passport control security check and on to our final connection. I have read prior reviews on this terminal and could not believe that it could be so bad. This terminal is dirty outdated and seemingly unchanged since its inception in the 1950's when probably 4-5 European flights were scheduled daily. I felt sorry for the elderly people who looked so worn out from the whole process. What a sorry welcome back to the USA. I will avoid this airport like the plague in the future despite plans for a brand new Terminal 4 to open in 2013.

New York JFK Airport customer review

We flew from London to JFK. After reading all previous reviews we now realise it was our lucky day. We only waited 2 hours in a narrow corridor with no air-conditioning a single toilet for 600 people waiting in line no water no medical attendants and no where to sit. Nursing mothers and elderly people in their eighties were treated without respect or dignity. Our uniformed guard made it very clear we were aliens and not Americans. There were only 5 out of 27 entry booths open. Just as we were within a few minutes of moving forward to passport control a plane of American passport holders arrived and we were very firmly told to "get back and stand aside." When we arrived at the passport guard he did not utter a single word. First his hand beckoned for our passport then he nodded for our fingers to be put on the machine then he stared at his computer screen then stamped passports and nodded over his shoulder for us to move on. After passport control we arrived at the officers collecting the Customs Declaration form. Four officers laughing and joking and by the looks of it having a good time - collecting a form? This is a disgrace and nothing to be proud of. It is something all Americans should experience and be concerned about. It is the first impressions of America which is quite frightening. Regional airports in less developed countries put it to shame. We will never use JFK again and British Airways need to reconsider their use of JFK.

New York JFK Airport customer review

Absolutely awful upon arrival. I was towards the front of the customs queue but it still took 1 hour 30 minutes for me to get to the front. There was a huge queue behind me which went very far back and out of sight. I imagine those people were queued for hours. There are 27 customs desks and only 5 were open so this is the reason for such slow movement. No announcements or anything were made and no one thought to open more desks. The elderly people had no choice but to stand for the whole length of time. Americans were getting put through first. The staff were also very rude; the woman in charge pointed to people and made faces at them to show them where to go rather than speak to them. When she had to speak she made it clear she was unhappy shouting 'yeah you' or 'no there' etc. It was like people being treated like cattle. The man at the customs desk was equally rude only saying 'thumb' when he needed our fingerprints. He stared at the computer the whole time and ignored us when we wished him a nice day (sarcastically!). The journey home was much more pleasant however again it was not the best service.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Airport Shopping N/A

New York JFK Airport customer review

Arrived 9 August in T7 from London City - pre-clearance via Shannon meant we arrived in shabby domestic arrivals but cleared in approx 35 mins. It would appear to be the only civilised way through from other reviews. Departed T7 on 18 August - BA night sleeper service. Smooth departure via security etc. Did minimal shopping in duty free but found what we wanted easily and well priced. BA lounge a disappointment for a long haul. Menu choices v poor and limited for a hot meal service - rather a poor buffet would have been better served to have eaten in NYC and spent less time at airport. This is a matter for BA rather than JFK. A qualified thumbs up due to fortunate arrivals opportunity.

New York JFK Airport customer review

I went to JFK on JetBlue to STI. It's ok but it's very far because Continental (now United) no longer fly's to STI. The Terminal is very good and clean but the lines at Security and Check-in are too long. However when I came home (through Terminal 4) the line for immigration was very short and quick but the security is not nice. Baggage clam can take an hour which is too long. JFK is somewhat ok.

New York JFK Airport customer review

Horrendous queues to get through immigration. Flight from London took over 2 hours to get through immigration not enough staff and booths getting shutdown for staff breaks. I will never use this airport again.

New York JFK Airport customer review

Very happy with my overall experience. I arrived from Dublin with Aer Lingus so I was fortunate enough to skip the immigration queue (as we had pre-cleared US customs in Dublin). We were lead through the airport to a shabby looking baggage reclaim used for the T4 domestic flights and the bags came quickly and I was on the airtrain within 20 minutes of arriving at the gate (a feat that not even the much smaller Glasgow airport can accomplish half the time with domestic arrivals!). My return was a similarly painless procedure. Check in had short queues (although I had arrived ridiculously early) but you do have to haul your baggage from the check in area to a separate bag drop area with visible X-Ray scanners. Appeared to be a bit of a security nightmare and you simply had to leave your bag in a big pile and the security team put it into the scanner. There are plenty of shops before security. Sadly the prices are insulting even by airport standards. $5 for a bottle of water $2.99 for a packet of crisps and $4.39 for a packet of gummy sweets. There are a few places that are much more reasonable. Sadly not enough seats available before security but if you look around enough you'll probably find some (particularly towards the A gates). Security was fantastic. There were very short queues and that was with busy flights going out to supposedly "high risk" areas. Staff were very friendly and helpful. There's not much though security in the B gates area but plenty of seating. Overall I didn't find cleanliness to be a particular issue. We did have a long taxi to get to our takeoff but that's to be expected with a busy airport. I'd happily fly to and from JFK again. The terminals are all quite small so it all felt a lot more intimate than one would expect in such a large intentional airport. However bear in mind that I didn't experience customs and immigration from this airport so can't really comment there.

New York JFK Airport customer review

I arrived today on AF 12 from CDG. In fifty years of flying on five continents I have never seen such a sight. Upon deplaning we were greeted by extremely rude staff who practically shoved US citizens into a fast lane. Non-residents and aliens were shoved into an interminable mob of waiting people. The immigration hall itself worked tolerably for US citizens (I got through in about 20 min despite the immigration officer not believing that my passport and I were the same person: I had to show him my drivers license). The poor people in the other group were jam-packed like sardines with those in the upstairs holding pen trickling down the escalator into the immigration hall. My heart went out to these people. How can we expect tourism if we treat them like this? No toilets no water no care for babies and the disabled. An absolute disgrace. The customs official with whom I spoke said that they had complained many times that terminal 1 was too small for the load. My city of origin for this trip was Mumbai India. Mumbai airport at departure time was jam-packed but compared to JFK terminal one it was paradise. Disgraceful.