New York JFK Airport

"Worst experience with the security"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Worst experience with the security control I have ever had. It is ok for things to go slow. But the staff were incredibly rude to 60% of the travelers. They expect all travelers to know the rules in and out like they do, which is impossible - especially because the signs with the rules are nok existing, or at least not easy to see. One of the staff were actually shouting to other travelers for not putting their bag correctly. It was actually very uncomfortable and I was not looking forward till it was my turn. Bad management. Bad staff..
Date VisitAugust 2022

"The worst airport to exist"

Not Verified | The worst airport to exist. The staff is unprofessional, extremely rude (after missing our flight to LAX due to there being ONE slow security officer checking passports) and security, we changed our flight 2-3 times due to false information spread by the workers. The staff is so unfriendly, most of them on their phones. Not taking their job seriously, not willing to offer help or guidance, not doing anything at all.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"worst passport check I have ever experienced"

Trip Verified | Consistently the worst passport check I have ever experienced. I fly between London and New York regularly and am consistently met with over 90 minute wait times just to get through passport control. There is normally only one person checking passports. Awful service, awfully run and and frustratingly inefficient.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"TSA workers in this terminal are the worst"

Not Verified | I flew out of terminal 7 on Alaskan airlines. The TSA workers in this terminal are the worst I’ve ever witnessed. Not only were they rude, disrespectful, and incredibly unfriendly, but they were throwing people’s belongings down the belt without even asking. It was also very unnecessary since people were pushing their bags down at a steady rate. When I asked why they were throwing my things, I was confronted by 2 TSA women who started arguing with me and saying “I was weird” I just don’t understand why they are allowed to get away with treating people like cattle… it’s TSA not secret service. Someone needs to address the issue that is constantly TSA employees attitude.
Date VisitJune 2022

"queue for passport control took over 2.5 hours"

Not Verified | Arrived around 7pm on a BA flight from London. The queue for passport control took over 2.5 hours, just what you need after a long flight with kids. Flew back from Newark which was a breeze compared to JFK. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Chaos is evident everywhere"

Trip Verified | We have been to JFK sometime back, but the most recent experience are the worst. We returned from Barcelona to LAX with a stop at JFK. We were given a tag for express-lane to pick up our luggage, go through custom and TSA. Unfortunately, the TSA staff mixed up the regular travelers with those with the "Express-Lane" to make the connecting flight. The TSA staff and customs staff have all appeared to be uninterested in their jobs as if they wished to be elsewhere. Chaos is evident everywhere. As a result, we ran and were barely made it to our flight to LAX - 5 minutes before the take off time. As if, the misery and stress was not enough, our plane was delayed and waited to take off due to 60 planes in front of our plane. We would avoid this airport at all cost in our future travel plan.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Security was even worse"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Simply terrible. Flew with AA and they had two counters open to check in and 200-300 passengers queing. All self check in desks were down and service was terrible. Security was even worse. Spent almost 2 hours to check in and get through security. After inspection there is little to no choice when it comes to eating. Literally two places which offered terrible options. I had to stand up at the gate since there are few steats (all of which were taken obviously).
Date VisitMay 2022

"security check was just terrible"

(Austria)

Not Verified | It was a really bad experience to depart from Terminal 1 JFK Airport! Specifically security check was just terrible! Staff is rude, disrespectful and extremely unfriendly. I couldn't sleep well the nights after this bad experience, I was shocked by the behaviour of the security check staff. I cannot understand, that involved airlines put up with this circumstances for their passengers.
Date VisitMay 2022

"said that I had to leave the terminal"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Arrived at JFK, terminal 1 around 11:30pm on the 8th of May, for the flight on the 9th. I laid myself down on the floor then I heard the voice saying that I was not allowed to ‘lie down on the floor.’ It was around 2am. So I woke up, and packed myself when the voice came up to me again to make sure. I moved on, looking for a bathroom and the voice called me again. She stopped me and asked where I was going. I said bathroom. She said that’s okay and told me direction to the bathroom, which was literally in front of me. She added that the Food Court was closed if I were to go there. First, I was not, and second, I knew it was closed anyway, but I did not bother to answer. After the bathroom, I started to looking for a new spot to sit down. Then I just thought that I might have a short breeze near the exit, but the door was closed. I waved my hand under the sensor once or twice then quit, and was about to resume my search for the chair. Then she ran up again and said the terminal was closed. I said I could see that, and asked her if she was following me. She said I was not allowed to roam around the airport because the terminal was closed. But there were other people in the terminal! I said I was on my way to find a seat. She said I could sit anywhere, and I said I was on my way to the seat closer to my airline. She then said that I had to leave the terminal because my flight was to leave ‘tomorrow.’ It was 2:20am and my flight was 1pm, on the same day. She told me to leave immediately or she would call the police - she said it more than 5 times. I asked her what I was supposed to do, and she said I should leave immediately and come back after 6am. She blocking me with her body in case I go anywhere when I was not even moving. I hopped in the elevator as she said. I could see her calling someone with her wireless set to make sure I do not stay in the building. I landed on the 1st floor, with shock, horror and confusion. I tried to look up any hotels around the airport to go, but it took less than 30 seconds until the man, who got her call came up to me. He kindly advised me that the terminal 8 is open 24 hours. I asked him the direction, when she ran down to the first floor, cutting his words. She said “No, she’s not going to the third floor. Go out right here and walk across the street.” I said I would check with internet and she kept repeating that she would call the police. When I was waiting for the red light to change to green in front of the cross, I could see her watching me until I cross the street fully from inside. That was very creepy. It was 2:25am. Anyhow, I made it to the terminal 8, and guess what? There are so many people sleeping on the floor! Am I not allowed to come to the airport too early? I always thought that arriving in the airport earlier is always better than being late, but I guess this does not apply to JFK? I am just shocked and horrified that such a big international airport like JFK could kick an international guest like that manner.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Worst airport experience in the world"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Worst airport experience in the world! When we arrived it was really crowded and we had to wait for more than 2 hours to have our passport controlled standing in line for all the time. The signs were not put in the right place, which had lead lots of passengers in the wrong line and the staff was really rude, not giving explanations or right indications. Restroom was dirty and we had a really bad experience with almost everything.