New York JFK Airport

"most unhappy, rude people"

Not Verified | The border control employees are some of the most unhappy, rude people I have ever encountered. Why anyone would want to employ these nasty, aggressive, individuals to not only protect our border, but to be the first face of America that visitors encounter upon arrival, is beyond me. It's as though all of them did their customer service training at the DMV. Ironically, most of the immigrants they are charged with preventing from entering the U.S. could probably do their job 10 times better. Do the reputation of the U.S. and New York City a favor. Fire this surly, attitude-y, chip-on-their-shoulders crew. I gave the queuing time a bad score, because the staff's yelling and rude behavior actually inhibits the smooth processing of entrants.
Date VisitJuly 2024

"incompetent, unruly nightmare"

Not Verified | Border control absolute incompetent, unruly nightmare. Almost got crushed on the escalators because entire area was mobbed. Has to push my kids through the crowd so they didn’t get trapped and possibly injured as scores more people were pushed up the escalators behind us. There was one single staff member there to manage a crowd of hundreds, and he was nonsensical with his demands (“don’t merge!” - as if there was any semblance of lines that anyone could merge into), rude, and dictatorial. Lines weren’t moving at all; air conditioning wasn’t working; and invariably tempers began to flare in the confusion. I’d describe it as “third world” but most third world nations are better managed than this.
Date VisitJuly 2024

"miserable set of entitled jobsworths"

Trip Verified | What a miserable set of entitled jobsworths! We don't expect TSA staff to be grinning from ear to ear all shift long but do they all have to be so overtly rude and miserable? Can they read? They presumably did not read the job description. They must all feel very satisfied on completion of their shifts when presumably they go home and inflict their miserable selves on their families. Dead behind the eyes, not a good look.
Date VisitJune 2024

"find a way to avoid this airport"

Trip Verified | If you can find a way to avoid this airport with the longest wait on earth and worst customer service you will thank me later. I had a connecting flight and I had to wait 2 hours to pass the CBP and then I had to pass again thru security check (over 2 hours) to get in my other plane - unbelievable.
Date VisitJune 2024

"a shame of an airport"

Not Verified | This is worst airport I ever been too! So rude, not helpful, why have an atm that you can take out money but not put in! Cashless system is fast way to lose customers, should be more people that are certified in different languages to help instead of make fun of them. New York JFK is a shame of an airport.
Date VisitMay 2024

"never fly through JFK again"

Not Verified | Every time I go through JFK, there are always delays. I flew JetBlue from Paris to JFK, and ended up getting delayed more than five hours after already having a four hour layover for my connection to Boston, as well as having had a long flight. Airport was not clean and staff were very rude. TSA confiscated a bottle of rum my dad bought in France that had already been cleared by customs. There also were limited food and shopping options. The only positive experience was spending part of the layover at the TWA hotel. I will never fly through JFK again, and I highly advise anyone flying to this airport as well.
Date VisitMay 2024

"impressed by the service and facilities"

Trip Verified | This is specific to Terminal 7, used by Aer Lingus. On arrival, we were escorted from the plane to the immigration hall and being first in there was somewhat taken aback by the fact that it was devoid of passengers! We were through the line snake and out to collect baggage in under five minutes from entering. Our bags were on the line within a few minutes too and we were through the whole immigration process and out to the taxis very quickly and smoothly. Our departure experience was equally smooth. We had arrived very early due to transfer arrangements from our cruise and had to hang around for a couple of hours for the check-in desks to open. The area around the desks is quite sterile and functional and only one shop, on the lower arrivals level was available. Luckily it did sell snacks, and drinks as the one food outlet down there was closed. Once open the check-in and security process was very straightforward. T7 now has scanners where there is no requirement to take items out of your bag so that was very smooth, delayed only by the usual one or two who left items in their pockets, forgot to take jackets off and so forth. T7 is not overly big so nowhere is a long way, which is great. The usual shops for Duty Free and food and drink outlets were present and done well. This is our third time using this terminal with Aer Lingus and we continue to be impressed by the service and facilities.
Date VisitMay 2024

“Appallingly rude staff throughout”

Not Verified | Appallingly rude staff throughout, from TSA to Duty Free staff to Aer Lingus check-in staff. Horrible people employed to deal with customers who pay their wages. Have to say TSA at Terminal 5 O'Hare in Chicago a few years ago was much the same...don't do the job if you don't like doing the job. TSA was a total shambles (Term 7) on a busy Saturday afternoon - nobody gave a toss. And don't start me on the price of stuff in "Duty Free".
Date VisitMay 2024

"pure rudeness and power tripping"

Not Verified |   I flew back from France on a flight that returned and unloaded a bit late (close to midnight). I had six hours between the time I got off and to terminal 8 before my next flight, which would take me home (final destination). I had tried to go through security but the man at security rudely denied me by stating I was too early. I didn’t know there was a maximum amount of hours you could not check in. I did take the time to look this up in advance and couldn’t find anything. Six hours seemed common. Many people have layovers too short to check in to a hotel. I even looked into the sleep pods and mentioned this as a question. The peach of a worker replied “this isn’t a lodge.” Sorry, but my costly flights help pay for him to have a job. A little courtesy and kind explanation would go a long way. Then when I could finally go through security I noticed pure rudeness and power tripping. Workers snapping at people telling them to get moving through security and hurry up. It was 3:30AM. Chill. Have a coffee first. Something. So blown away. I will avoid this airport at all costs in the future.
Date VisitMay 2024

"worst airport I have ever been to"

Trip Verified | The worst airport I have ever been to. You spend hours at arrivals with absolutely no information given about how long you are going to be there. They said the wait was 60 minutes but hours later still queuing. No staff around to ask either.