New York JFK Airport

"such unmotivated and untrained staff"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | I’ve never seen such unmotivated and untrained staff before. Unfriendly, don’t know their jobs, and most of them speak a language that is not even closely related to english.

"most horrible experience"

Not Verified | We had the most horrible experience last night trying to get through security prior to our flight to LAX. I have traveled all over the world and never experienced the delays in trying to get through security. Not only were they understaffed and under trained the two officials attending the screening area prior to being screen were the rudest and lacking total customer experience acted in the worst manner? There were numerous customers pleading to get through as we all were on the same flight and had 10 minutes before the door was closed on the plane and this is after being in line for almost 50 minutes! Never in my life have I waited so long and after numerous requests to let the people go through she completely lost control and screaming at us at and then decided to stop the screening process and send us back to the end of the line! I demanded her supervisor and she blatantly lied and said we were line jumpers. Thankfully after explaining to the supervisor he turned it back on to allow people to continue to be screened a young woman with two young children in front of us was so upset and distraught stead a total mess we were able to make the flight by running and with a couple of minutes to spare I’m in my late 60s as is my wife and we both have disabilities and if this is acceptable behaviour by staff at JFK and accordingly no apology was offered by anyone it’s a disgrace and obviously the women in particular who were on duty last night have no idea what so ever what it’s like to be put in that situation!! On the positive side the staff of Jetblue were amazing and kept the plane trip as comfortably as possible knowing that half the plane experience the check in GP

"Very rude staff"

Not Verified | Three hours from landing to exiting the airport on arrival. Long queues. Only 3 customs and border checkouts to handle hundreds of incoming passengers. Very rude staff. No communication possible, they literally barked at customers. At departure, very long queues at security. Old facilities, not enough room to sit at gate while waiting. No family room in toilets. Blank faced staff shouting orders at customers or just plain ignoring them.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"A very poorly managed airport"

Not Verified | Extremely disappointing end to New York City visit. Arriving at Jamaica Station well ahead of time we were informed the JFK Sky Train was not in service and shuttles were being supplied instead. We queued for 2 hours, amongst hundreds of other passengers as only 2 buses were sent. No JFK employees were available to update passengers what was happening throughout. Eventually being hoarded onto an over crowded bus which was supposed to be to the terminal, everyone had to get off and stand in the snow and raining for a further 20 minutes to transfer bus. Again no JFK employees were available to co-ordinate the situation. Having finally arrived and boarded the plane, we sat on the plane for 3 hours beyond our scheduled departure. With the captain stating no one at JFK Flight Control was able to be contacted - destining the situation like a ‘circus’. Several other flights were in the same situation. We have now missed connecting flights and face a 6 hour delay. A very poorly managed airport, with terrible communication and a clear lack of staff and coordination. Terribly run organisation, which I hope not to travel through again. Embarrassing showcase for New York City to worldwide travellers.

"Horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Horrible customer service. Was sitting in the plane not allowed to get off for over an hour after a 7+ hour flight. No help by JFK to try and help the passengers off and find a gate. Unacceptable.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"won't be flying to JFK anymore"

Not Verified | When getting off and renting a car you have to walk a long distance to the car rental and my wife is disabled and there is no service to the car rental company. I won't be flying to JFK anymore.

"2 hours in a queue"

Not Verified | Worst immigration system I’ve ever experienced! 2 hours in a queue that barely moved. As more fights landed the queues got longer and still a maximum of 2 officers checked people through customs. I will never fly through this airport again. Absolute disgraceful way to treat visitors and puts me totally off coming back to New York.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Poor experience in general"

Trip Verified | Probably the worst airport experience in a major city. The queue time is long and the line is inefficiently managed. The airport staff is very unpleasant, not nice or polite to travellers with lots of screaming and directing. Many bags were opened for no real reason just to hold out the line. The staff at food shops are half-asleep and made diners wait just to fix their nails and gloves. Poor experience in general and was definitely not expecting this level of service at a major airport.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"security guard asked me to leave Departures"

Not Verified | I was early for a flight at 08.05, 12th November 2019. Went up through security and sat by my gate. At 00.30, a civilian security guard asked me to leave Departures as it was more than 4 hours until my flight. This would mean leaving departures. Going to arrivals and re-submitting my luggage and self back through security. This may or may not be correct although the official website does suggest you are at the terminal at least 3 hours before international flights. Anyway the security guard, who was not rude, refused to identify himself by name or personnel number. I pointed out that I would neeed either for a complaint. He stated, 'just tell them security told you that had to'. I spoke to security downstairs, after going back to arrivals. Again professional, however, they said that complaint could not be made as I couldn't identify the guard. Firstly, I pointed out that, that was because he wouldn't identify himself. Secondly, he spoke to me at 00.30 approximately at gate 9, therefore, not an insolvuable problem. I spoke to the security ops and raised my concerns. If I am to admitted 4 hours before flight then that is now only 1 hour 15 away. Where am I supposed to go for that long? Instead arrivals is like, a not entirely clean, zombie movie. A pity most staff really good.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"nothing but bullying and humiliating people"

Not Verified | My wife broke her wrist and small finger and her hand was in a cast the day before. Because she was walking unsteadily, we decided it is better that she be in a wheelchair. When we arrive at the security, she was asked to stand up. Trying to comply, she stood rather unsteadily. The immigration officer kept her standing for while. Another officer asked her to go in through another screen but this same officer scolded her and told her to stand there saying words to the effect, "How many times have I got to tell you to stand there?" When he finally deigned to let her go through the security screen, she found herself held up at the other side as two officer tried to find out if her plaster cast on her hand was real or not. "It's real" they concluded finally! We complained to the supervisor who was seated after that and she promise to take action. Whether she did or not we don't know. This is nothing but bullying and humiliating people who have visited the US to spend money and was unfortunate to have a fall. If this is how the US customs treat people I think there are many other countries we can go to. We have resolved not to go back to the US for a long time to come.
Date VisitOctober 2019