New York JFK Airport

"I’ve never been treated so poorly"

Trip Verified | I live in London, but I am from New York. I feel such embarrassment when I am in this airport as a New Yorker. I have been all around the world and I’ve never been treated so poorly in an airport or had to watch others treated so terribly. The staff seem untrained. They don’t treat anyone with dignity or even minimal respect. They are rude and abrupt and won’t assist those who are confused or in need even though customs and baggage claim is a mess and horrendously confusing. I have seen actual staff snap at people asking reasonable questions or for help, downright ignoring them while socialising with colleagues, elderly people asking for assistance to be ignored. The best you are treated is someone just doing their job and acting like you don’t exist. For example, taking your bag from you at recheck without a word, checking your passport but looking right through you like you’re not there without even a hello or smile or even a nod. I had a 5 hour layover and they didn’t manage to get my luggage to my next flight on Time. It’s such a sad, sad state. Positives are I had a wonderful waiter at a restaurant and they have water bottle refill stations. Also some decent shops. Just doesn’t make up for the other very upsetting bits and how uncomfortable I felt. Unfortunate as it’s such a great city, but avoid this airport at all costs.

"Ridiculously long queues"

Not Verified | Terrible. Ridiculously long queues with slow and unhelpful staff. Half the booths were empty meaning wait times of well over 2 hours. Worst airport I’ve ever been in.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"it was absolutely shambolic"

Not Verified | Sky train not working - we were herded into lines and told the air would be hours - had to take a taxi or would have missed the flight. Staff prior to security, shouting and people and extremely rude to everyone, including cabin crew as they came through Security - indifferent towards checking the carry-on luggage at x-ray machine - failed to notice not only my daughters liquids which included a 250ml bottle of water and make-up/skincare she had forgotten she was carrying, but more worrying, did not notice I had a large metal tin of liquid pumpkin pie mix (500mls) (accidentally placed in my hand luggage and only noticed by me later on). Security staff in general at x-ray machines were rude, offensive, patronising and aggressive towards other passengers who did not understand English well. Waited 3 hours at 1am to get through customs - it was absolutely shambolic I will never ever fly through JFK again.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"have never experienced such mayhem"

Not Verified | I have never experienced such mayhem and queues at an airport for immigration before! The signs to direct people are very confusing which caused my husband to have to queue twice. I am still waiting for my husband as I write this! It took approximately 2hrs 20mins for me to get through passport control and dread to think how long I will be waiting for my husband. There are hardly any desks open and the whole of passport control is full. Absolutely disgusting as there are also young children queuing at 1am in the morning! I wish I could give a zero on the rating.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"such unmotivated and untrained staff"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | I’ve never seen such unmotivated and untrained staff before. Unfriendly, don’t know their jobs, and most of them speak a language that is not even closely related to english.

"most horrible experience"

Not Verified | We had the most horrible experience last night trying to get through security prior to our flight to LAX. I have traveled all over the world and never experienced the delays in trying to get through security. Not only were they understaffed and under trained the two officials attending the screening area prior to being screen were the rudest and lacking total customer experience acted in the worst manner? There were numerous customers pleading to get through as we all were on the same flight and had 10 minutes before the door was closed on the plane and this is after being in line for almost 50 minutes! Never in my life have I waited so long and after numerous requests to let the people go through she completely lost control and screaming at us at and then decided to stop the screening process and send us back to the end of the line! I demanded her supervisor and she blatantly lied and said we were line jumpers. Thankfully after explaining to the supervisor he turned it back on to allow people to continue to be screened a young woman with two young children in front of us was so upset and distraught stead a total mess we were able to make the flight by running and with a couple of minutes to spare I’m in my late 60s as is my wife and we both have disabilities and if this is acceptable behaviour by staff at JFK and accordingly no apology was offered by anyone it’s a disgrace and obviously the women in particular who were on duty last night have no idea what so ever what it’s like to be put in that situation!! On the positive side the staff of Jetblue were amazing and kept the plane trip as comfortably as possible knowing that half the plane experience the check in GP

"Very rude staff"

Not Verified | Three hours from landing to exiting the airport on arrival. Long queues. Only 3 customs and border checkouts to handle hundreds of incoming passengers. Very rude staff. No communication possible, they literally barked at customers. At departure, very long queues at security. Old facilities, not enough room to sit at gate while waiting. No family room in toilets. Blank faced staff shouting orders at customers or just plain ignoring them.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"A very poorly managed airport"

Not Verified | Extremely disappointing end to New York City visit. Arriving at Jamaica Station well ahead of time we were informed the JFK Sky Train was not in service and shuttles were being supplied instead. We queued for 2 hours, amongst hundreds of other passengers as only 2 buses were sent. No JFK employees were available to update passengers what was happening throughout. Eventually being hoarded onto an over crowded bus which was supposed to be to the terminal, everyone had to get off and stand in the snow and raining for a further 20 minutes to transfer bus. Again no JFK employees were available to co-ordinate the situation. Having finally arrived and boarded the plane, we sat on the plane for 3 hours beyond our scheduled departure. With the captain stating no one at JFK Flight Control was able to be contacted - destining the situation like a ‘circus’. Several other flights were in the same situation. We have now missed connecting flights and face a 6 hour delay. A very poorly managed airport, with terrible communication and a clear lack of staff and coordination. Terribly run organisation, which I hope not to travel through again. Embarrassing showcase for New York City to worldwide travellers.

"Horrible customer service"

Not Verified | Horrible customer service. Was sitting in the plane not allowed to get off for over an hour after a 7+ hour flight. No help by JFK to try and help the passengers off and find a gate. Unacceptable.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"won't be flying to JFK anymore"

Not Verified | When getting off and renting a car you have to walk a long distance to the car rental and my wife is disabled and there is no service to the car rental company. I won't be flying to JFK anymore.
Date VisitNovember 2019