New York JFK Airport

"a long haul travellers nightmare"

Not Verified | Honestly I would rarely review an airport but I was shocked at how truly awful this airport is. It’s a long haul travellers nightmare. This service would simply not run in the UK- it makes our busiest airports in London look timid by comparison. First off if you’re catching a connecting flight through here good luck, the airport is huge and it is not clear where you’re supposed to be going. Not great when this is your first time here. I was stood in a customs queue that wound on forever until I got panicky my connecting flight was in 40 mins. I stepped out to inform them and they told me to ‘go over there’. I wander over to a desk and a rude lady asks what I’m doing and I need to scan my passport first - well sorry the man did not tell me that! Wouldn’t it be helpful to tell me? They start whispering in another language and exchanging looks as if this isn’t an airport where new people enter every single day. I’m not thick thanks. Then comes the icing on the cake - the ever so fun customs lady who dragged her feet over to man 1 of 2 customs desks. She tells me she needs to sit down first and takes as long as possible with an attitude. Sorry I know the job is stressful but suck it up lady. Then she starts getting really intimidating telling me I’m not stood near the camera enough and I’m telling her sorry I’m flustered as I need to catch my flight. She seems totally unsympathetic and continues being rude. Sorry but I just got off a 7 hour flight from Manchester and I had 30 mins to get through security and to the gate - excuse me if I’m a little disoriented by your awful airport! She then makes me scan both my hands at least 11 times and it was very clear she was doing it to toy with me. I mean seriously who employs these people. Luckily I kept it together to avoid trouble but I have never met such rude airport staff in my life! I’m so glad I wasn’t travelling to NYC because boy what a welcome to that city. I know New Yorkers are known for being brash but they were just simply obnoxious and unprofessional. Boy was I glad to get to LAX in sunny California where the staff were lovely and helpful. I’ve never been particularly interested in NYC and it’s -10 weather as it seems like a more aggressive version of London and this airport just confirms my opinion on the place.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"2 out of all of the booths were actually manned"

Trip Verified | Our flight landed slightly early around 11am, we got to the immigration hall and stood in a queue which didn't appear to be too bad, however, we then realised that only 2 out of all of the booths were actually manned. Every so often one of the people manning the booth would walk away for about 5 minutes leaving just one booth open. It was taking an average of between 3 and 5 minutes per person going through immigration. There were other staff members wandering around but nobody seemed to take charge. It took us around 2 hours to get through this fiasco but by this time the queue was about 4 times bigger than when we arrived and one of the booths was about to close because the lady was going for lunch. I dread to think how long it took those poor people to get through. I was absolutely amazed that in a country renowned for its customer service, this was allowed to happen - where were the management, or at least somebody to take charge and get additional staff in.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"A nightmare after a 16 hour flight"

Not Verified | Arriving with EVA air from Taipei the flight was on time but JFK authorities did not have a parking spot available for approx 1 hour. A nightmare after a 16 hour flight! Once out of the plane immigration procedures were next. A huge and extensive hall with plenty of booths but only one was open. One officer for 4 wide body aircrafts. Where are all the officers? Sleeping, chatting, taking a break? Welcome to the service desert called USA. Any questions raised are replied like you are a criminal, rude and agressive. Overall that gives any arriving visitor a good impression of what to expect within this snobbish and rude country. Try to avoid whenever possible. B.t.w., lack of immigration officers is common. At another time I experienced that 2 out of 53 counters were open.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Staff were extremely rude!"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | The worst airport I have ever been to (and I travel a lot!). We were 4 hours early for a flight and just made it on time because of the very long queue both for check in and through security. Staff were extremely rude! In fact I saw a member of the public ask a member of staff if she worked for the airport as she needed help and the staff member simply said 'no' even though she was wearing a uniform and clearly on duty. She just couldn't be bothered to help! Unnecessarily stressful and the worst organization I have ever seen.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"please stop with announcements"

(Norway)

Not Verified | The annocments for passengers and changed flights happen all the time, it was loud, annoying and the girl on the microphone ruined the waiting. Fix the mic, speakers and please stop with announcements. Also very expensive.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"this is a horror show, not an airport"

Not Verified | Arrived from Seoul to JFK Terminal 4. Connecting flight to Boston scheduled to depart from Terminal 2. Waiting for 2 hours at Terminal 2, you cannot even get a wifi connection, the free JFK wifi signal is not strong enough to connect to the web. After 4 (!!) gate changes, back on the shuttle bus to Terminal 4! Add to this a $13 sandwiches, this is a horror show, not an airport. I thought Manila, Philippines, airport was slow and inefficient, but at least they don't jerk you around the airport from gate to gate, and you get better wifi in Manila than at JFK,
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"airport has put us off ever coming back"

Not Verified | Absolutely shocking airport on both the times we were here. Very long queuing times. Staff are so rude and very unhelpful. Although we loved New York this airport has put us off ever coming back. We are frequent travellers so we are aware of how busy an airport can get. We were left infuriated still when we boarded our flight back to the UK.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"by far the worst airport"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | JFK is by far the worst airport I've been to. Why don't they have a stroller or something, for family's with small children? No smoking area (its my review, so I write whats important tp me!) once through security, you are stuck at the same 20 something gates, and a handfull of bad cafe's! Very bad airport! Wifi is slow as though from the 1990!
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"It was a horrible experience"

Not Verified | I was disgusted by the treatment of security staff and how they spoke to people and shouted at them. On arrival the staff were hostile (mainly the women) and in departure I overheard one security woman telling her colleague that people are “scared of her” to which she found this to be very amusing, another shouted orders in the face of an old woman telling her to pick up her tray off the floor, she was very intimidating and would have been better suited to working in a prison than in an airport. I was disgusted at this and how these people are a representation of your country, something needs to be done about the way they approach and interact with passengers. Most of the security were stood around in large groups talking and one women was whining about how she hated being theirs and wanted to go home. It was a horrible experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"experience was quite positive"

Trip Verified | On Delta Airlines I flew out of Terminal 2 and returned through Terminal 4 for a domestic trip. The terminals differ enormously by size- Terminal 2 is very much smaller and very compact. Terminal 4 is huge with many stores and eateries requiring a lot of walking to and from your gate. On departure, I was surprised at the virtually non-existence security line. The gate areas have large glass panels and high ceilings. Lots of seating with electric power points. Quite a few eating places - including a Wendy’s - for a terminal with less than a dozen gates. My first time in Terminal 2 and highly recommend it. Delta had staff at the terminal entrance to assist you. Terminal 4 was very busy and required a long walk out from my gate. Just outside Terminal 4 is dedicated space for Uber and such service cars to come to pick up clients - this is very convenient. In short, my experience was quite positive and was very pleased with Terminal 2 especially.
Date VisitJanuary 2019