New York JFK Airport

"I really felt treated like cattle"

Trip Verified | On several locations I really felt treated like cattle. “Move up, stand there, don’t go there’s, etc.. Come on staff, treat us the way you want to be treated yourself.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"through in a very short time"

Not Verified | Went through immigration and customs in 30 minutes. I’ve read a great many reviews about slow long lines at immigration but we arrived on time from UK and were through in a very short time.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"JFK is a total fail"

Trip Verified | Rude, unhelpful and officious staff; do they receive special training to unlearn basic customer service? My mother taught me to smile and say “please” and “thankyou”. Incompetent and inefficient setup; have they never seen how other international airports work? Please someone, go visit Changi or Haneda to see how to do it properly. On arrival, there was just one immigration officer for two full planes. Long lines of unhappy people ordered around like cattle. I’ve previously missed connecting flights due to extremely long wait times in immigration. On departure, surly staff are needlessly rude. Security is a joke with little understanding of the concept of flow. Terminal 7 is small with very basic amenities. I’ve travelled internationally every month for the last 25-years, and in my experience, JFK is one of the worst airports in the world. If first and last impressions matter, then JFK is a total fail and does NYC a massive disservice. Avoid if at all possible.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"my checked bag had been opened"

Not Verified | I arrived home to find that my checked bag had been opened, it was locked when I checked it and not locked when I got to my destination. I know that TSA will randomly open and check a bag which I have no problem with, however, I had 2 carefully packaged whiskey glasses from Hudson Valley Distillers which were missing. It is a shame when those who have the job of security cannot be trusted. The glasses were of very little value monetarily but a reminder of an otherwise wonderful trip. I was told a long time ago that you are only worth what you are willing to lie or steal for, in this case about $5, oh worthy individuals. Maybe TSA should make those who open a bag register and do so under camera surveillance. Who's the real security threat? Oct 19 Jetblue flight 161 from JFK to Sacramento in case anyone cares
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the worst arrivals experience"

Trip Verified | This was the worst arrivals experience I have ever had. I have visited many airports, including some in developing African countries and JFK stands out from all of them. Standing in a queue for 2 hours (with 2 children) just to get through immigration is totally unacceptable. I thought maybe there were some staff on strike or something, but no, there just weren't enough staff - only about half of the counters were open. Why? When we finally got through our baggage was on the floor next to the carousel - it had had to be taken off so that the carousel could be used for another flight! None of the staff I asked could tell me why the queue was so long (when we were at the back and couldn't see what was going on). One lady, when I said "excuse me, can you tell me what's going on?" Just said "No" and carried on walking! Absolutely dreadful after an eight hour flight. My daughter went to the toilet after we finally retrieved our baggage and said they were disgusting. And when we got I to a taxi and told the driver where we needed to go, which was an airport hotel, he asked "where is that?" and I had to give him the full address! I hadn't realised London was such a paradise. I hope never to fly in to this airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"staff in the airport were unhelpful"

Trip Verified | This is the worst experience I have had in an airport. 3 hours was not enough to get through immigration and transfer to the connecting flight. The airlines say that they were on time so, it’s not their fault. Nobody will pay for a hotel until we can get on another flight to our final destination. All the staff in the airport were unhelpful, even the supervisor who advised us to come back to her after 30 minutes if we had not gotten to the security checkpoint. She just said we had to kept waiting, and, as a result, we missed our transfer. I used to like the USA. I now have no intention of coming back or spending any money on American products.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the worst arrivals experience"

Not Verified | 1hr 30mins to clear passport control even with the automated system. Without doubt the worst arrivals experience I have had. Totally unacceptable that there were only 2 border control officers for the whole of international arrivals.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"The experience was terrible"

Not Verified | I was extremely disappointed in the customer service at JFK airport. I had numerous encounters where staff/individuals were unwilling to assist with questions, I was told different agents to see, multiple numbers to call, I was told to not step up to a counter without being “told” by agent and then told to step up and fill in gaps when there were gaps in TSA lines - I assimilated this experience with being a cattle in a barnyard - quite inhuman. The experience was terrible and I will go to great lengths to not fly through the airport in the future. Lastly the personnel gives your city and our nation a bad image for visitors and I hope you think about how to train staff in a more effective manner.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Terminal 2 needs a complete makeover"

Not Verified | Amazing, I felt like I was in some under-resourced country: old rusty bathrooms, broken escalator, insufficient seating, crowded, terrible food choices for high prices. Terminal 2 needs a complete makeover!

"Rude, incompetent staff"

Not Verified | Absolutely awful. Rude, incompetent staff who were scruffy, sour faced and unhelpful and who were screaming unintelligible instructions to confused passengers of all ages. Endless snaking lines, absolute chaos. I have travelled extensively and have never, ever seen such a disgusting airport and staff. (perhaps the exception here is La Guardia Airport) How can New York put up with this being the first impression international travelers get when they arrive in the United States? A disgusting experience all in all.