New York JFK Airport

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. I landed on a flight from London, heading to a connecting flight to Minneapolis. We cleared customs but signs for connecting flights departures were not apparent/user friendly. Staff guided us to an area that eventually mixed with an area where new arrivals could merge. This meant that we had to go through security/x-ray screening all over again. If they had guided through an area of the airport that was still contained within the airport we would not have had to repeat screening, as we had already been screened at our last airport. The line for screening moved extremely slowly, perhaps due to being understaffed? Several of us were concerned about missing connecting flights, I almost missed mine despite having a 2 hour layover. I had to race to the gate and made it just in time to be one of the last people on the flight. I didn't even have enough time to grab a cup of coffee or use the bathroom. Very bad experience.

"treated very inequitably"

Not Verified | TSA rude and careless, barking orders and unhelpful. My items were dumped and scattered in various trays and people honestly don’t care. I will avoid this airport in future. With your reviews awful, you really need to have some care training. I am a senior citizen and treated very inequitably.
Date VisitOctober 2023

"goes from disgraceful to utterly disgusting"

Trip Verified | This airport goes from disgraceful to utterly disgusting. Not only is the staffing for immigration clearance so poor - this is the second time in 2 months I’ve waited over 2 hours but the staff did not stop the cheats from going round via US Citizen queue then walking across and cutting the line. Complaints fell on uninterested staff who shrugged their shoulders. I will try avoid this airport as much as possible. What a horrible advert for a country when’s its main airport is such a shambles.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"really leaves a sour taste in your mouth"

Not Verified | I never have much of an issue departing from this airport, but the line attendants for passport control on arrival are always rude. It really leaves a sour taste in your mouth. The passenger in front of me was an older Hispanic woman - she was walking a little slowly, getting her papers and passport together, but there was nobody behind us and I could tell she was older, so I didn’t mind. The line attendant rudely said “let’s go!” To her and then immediately asked her if she was a green card or visa holder - I’m assuming because of her race? It turned out she was an American citizen (duh - we were in the US Citizen line). The attendant just kept barking commands at her and giving her no time to answer any questions. Then she starts barking at me and just being really patronizing. I’ve seen similar behavior multiple times from passport control line attendants when arriving from an international flight.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"whole airport needs massive improvement"

Not Verified | Absolutely awful experience at this airport! After an amazing 5 night stay in NYC with my family, our holiday quickly turned sour when going through security here. If the 1 hour queue wasn't bad enough, being greeting by shouting security officers made it the worst experience we've ever had in an international airport. I can't single just the one security official out, they were all aggressive, abrupt, and completely unprofessional. This must be in the training, as it was quite consistent throughout. I could add a little assistance if anyone from JFK is reading this. Instead of saying "if I see those phones in your hands I'm pulling you to one side" perhaps say "could everyone please place their phones in the trays provided". Its just a little common courtesy, and plain good manners, and you'd be surprised how far it gets you in life. The whole experience has actually put us off coming back to New York again. Which is a shame, as we really enjoyed it. I was emptying my bag of my laptop and tablet at which time the lady took it from me and put it in a tray, and told me to take my shoes off. I said my laptop is in there and she looked at me with a steely gaze and said "I know.....take your shoes off". Honestly it was just horrendous. Herded through like cattle and shouted at. The whole airport needs massive improvement, and lessons in basic decorum.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"Simply awful and frustrating"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Simply awful and frustrating. We were almost missing our connecting Flight despite around 5 hours of transit time. Running and sweating because of unbelievable queing at passport control first and then unbelievable hundred and hundred meters of queue. Laziest staff ever experienced, they don t care nothing about pax, repeating same controls several times, only very few security staff for thousands of passengers, quite rude and totally against passengers. No transit area, no connection line, no way to send bags to final destination. I will never never fly to or via JFK in the future. Shame on Airport authority and tsa and staff working there.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"by far the worst airport"

Not Verified | This is by far the worst airport I have ever had the misfortune to travel through. The security staff are the laziest, most rude individuals imaginable and the security system is like something out of the dark ages. How this airport has the cheek to carry the name of such a great man is beyond me - shameful. Would put me off ever coming back to New York!

"Despicable experience"

(Armenia)

Not Verified | Despicable experience. People pushed around in a very long line as though they are animals. Women standing with little babies in their hands for hours and no one giving them priority! The whole security experience is the worst I have seen in any airport in the world. What is the JFK management doing? They should be fired for humiliating JFK passengers, who are their clients. Stop following modern standards of service, this airport has a really unpleasant, almost fascist feeling. This is serious. I was in terminal 4.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"TSA staff are so abrupt and rude"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | TSA staff are so abrupt and rude. The gentleman at the scanner told me me to pull up my pants...My pants were just fine (Im a 36 man, not a teenager) I asked him "should I pull up my pants". Then proceeds to say "yeah you heard that correctly, pull up your pants bro, pull up your pants bro", when I walked I said "no need to be rude" to which he said, "step out, bye". Not sure in what world is it acceptable to talk to people like that

"I loathe this airport"

Not Verified | Miserable experience. Security personnel were mouthy and rude and pushed people through security so quickly that it caused a large group of people trying to get themselves and their belongings back together while security personnel kept screeching, “move down, this is a working area.” There was only one bench and one small table and no room for people to put their shoes on, belts on, re-pack electronics etc. and there were only TWO agents screening hundreds of people. The process was so slow that we missed our connecting flight and had to spend the night in the airport which was freezing cold even in July. It also irks me that people cannot speak English clearly which causes more confusion and frustration. I loathe this airport and will avoid it at all costs in the future.