Milan Malpensa Airport

"layout of this airport is really confusing"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | The layout of this airport is really confusing. Usually you would go through customs etc then once you get to the Duty Free stores you can relax and make your way to the gates. I checked the sign which said the distance to my gate so knew I had a bit of time. Then you get to passport control, which when I was there I was greeted with a massive line. I had to push past people to get to my flight in the end otherwise I would have missed it. I was not prepared for that lengthy wait right before the gates. Other people on my flight missed the plane so I’m guessing this is a common thing. There should have been more counters open at least.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"the board was not forthcoming with updates"

Not Verified | First of all there needs to be more and better signage in this airport. We arrived from a USA flight at 6:00 morning and planned to wait 2 hours for daughters flight. Notice was ok that it was 1 hour delay. Eventually it was six hours delayed but the board was not forthcoming with updates. Next the free WiFi in the arrival waiting area was very poor. Next they put the hotel shuttle van at the far end of airport with no curbside accommodation. You have to navigate through cars and traffic. Next all the convenient check in gates have obviously been sold to the Middle East airlines and everyone else has to schlep to a distant section of the airport. Then you have to walk a couple of miles to you gate. Security screen was efficient and competent.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"extremely inefficient"

Trip Verified | This airport is a very fine physical building. We find it to be extremely inefficient. Our baggage wa not delivered to the baggage hall for 50 minutes. On the return check in was unfriendly and inefficient. Food facilities at 9.p.m were very poor. The waiting area for boarding was crowded. If possible we would not use this airport again.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Staff are good and nice"

(Hong Kong)

Staff are good and nice. Wifi is terrible. Barely connect to wifi, and is limited access. The boarding gate area are very narrow, no much room for passengers, 10-20% of passengers got no seat. There aren't much transport late in the night. The airport is way far from the city unless someone can come to pick you up.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"arrival at gate B7 - 6,000 steps"

Trip Verified | If I had been given a choice to die in a car crash or fly through MXP - I would have chosen a fiery car crash! This airport is not friendly. Nothing is close. Our bus dropped us off at check-in counter #1, I had to go to counter 24. Once checked in - the walk to the immigration area and gates was back to the area near check-in counter #1. From the security check to the gate was another half-mile. There are no moving walkways that work, and the arrangement of getting from point A to point B is like going from A to Z then back to A. From the moment I set foot on the airport to my arrival at gate B7 - 6,000 steps! Immigration processing is as slow as watching paint dry. There is little to no seating in the gate area. I departed from gate B7 and found a seat 4 gates away!! Airport Wifi is little to non existent, and it was hard to log into if you could log into it.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Poor signage" ** EDITED - ASKED TICKET

Trip Verified | Immigration on arrival for non-EU was horrible. Expect potentially 30-90 minutes of waiting in line. Arrived on Ryanair flight from Sofia around 12.30pm. Upon arrival, line was already at an estimated 30 minute length. Poor signage resulted in me (and many others) following a line that led to a EU counter for crew which thankfully allowed me to get through in 50 minutes (although the agents were close to having us restart from the back of the queue). Had the signage been clearer and I followed the line like the rest, I have no doubt my entire waiting time may have been as long as 90-120 minutes. Top 3 longest immigration lines I have experienced out of traveling through East and South East Asia, US, and Europe.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"airport shops should open earlier"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Malpensa has now much better shopping areas (following the smooth security check) on the UE departures, compared to last year. What should be considered is that several flight leave quite early in the morning, thus airport shops should open earlier. In general no long queues from baggage drop off to boarding, everything ok.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"absolutely not professional"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Lost & Found area: 20 desk, only 3 people working on Friday at 16:30. Staff absolutely not professional and unkind. It’s 2018, Milan is an important city in both Europe and worldwide and deserves an important airport
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"High marks for transiting"

Not Verified | High marks for transiting at MXP - from non-Schengen to Schengen, on a Saturday morning at 8:30. Security took about 3 minutes. There was a family ahead of me, with a small child. The security personnel were friendly and helpful, in Italian and English. There were no other passengers at passport control. It's a bit of a hike to get from the B gates (international) to A gates (Schengen), but not too bad. Lots of shopping opportunities along the way, of which none of them I availed. Very few facilities at the A gates once you leave the transit area

"Excellent experience"

Trip Verified | First time using Malpensa. Excellent experience. Immigration check when entering Italy was smooth - presentation of the passport and a stamp without questions or long waits. Stepping out I found a huge well lit hall with luggage retrieval carousels and then exited out. I was taking a bus to Lugano, Switzerland and there were signs in the terminal in English pointing to where bus stations and taxi stands were. It was a longish walk but found the place and the bus pulled up. I had the option to pay in Euros or Swiss Francs. I paid the driver in cash and received a receipt. I did not feel stressed at all being in a foreign country and having no competency in the language. The bus driver spoke English. On the return I took the express train from Milan Central station to Malpensa. The train leaves twice every hour. A 50 minute ride in a very comfortable train with ample space for luggage. My departure was from Terminal 2. The train station is connected to the terminal. The terminal is a veritable shopping emporium with all the famous brand name shops there, as befitting the fashion capital that Milan is. You are spoiled for choices, from food and wine to clothing to cosmetics. Credit cards accept payments in dollars. I needed a boarding pass and for that had to go to the airline counter. My carry on bag was supposedly overweight by 2 kilograms but the clerk said no problem and fastened a tag that said it was authorized as a cabin luggage. I appreciated the touch. Security checks and immigration checks were fast - the lines were moving quickly - and without any hassles. At the Alitalia flight gate, which was at one end of the terminal, there were ample seats and a few shops and cafes which were crowded. Boarding was by group number and perplexingly, group 2 was boarded before group 1. Gate agents wished the passengers "Ciao" or "Arrivederci" - a very nice gesture. The flight left on time. The only discordant note was the free wifi. I was able to use it for a few minutes and then turned it off. When I wanted to use it again later on, it was challenging to reconnect with the instructions confusing and so I gave up. It was not a big problem as the airport has many shopping and dining attractions to keep you engaged. Large glass windows allow you to glimpse the runways and observe the many planes from different airline companies taxiing about - a very cosmopolitan sight! In sum, an excellent airport to use.
Date VisitJuly 2018