Milan Malpensa Airport

"I've never seen anything more poorly managed"

Trip Verified | I've been to many airports, and this is without a doubt the worst I have ever experienced. I had to run from one end of the airport to the other to check in, because they had only opened one door. The queue was huge, with only 2 staff working. I joined the queue at just after 5, & wasn't checked in until 5.50. I then had to pay an exorbitant fine for airport check-in, and paying required a separate queue - another 15 minutes, to be served by a woman who snatched my payment slip out of my hands, then threw my card back when I'd paid & said 'ok, go'. Then I saw the security queue, at this point with only half an hour before my then-late flight was due to leave, I've never seen anything more poorly managed, there was barely any system, everyone packed together like cattle. I managed to get to the front of the queue as people kindly let me through, only to meet one of the rudest women I've ever encountered. This agent at security control nodded to allow me to skip the line, which I did, then began shouting at me for going through. I pointed out I didn't intentionally do the wrong thing, so she began shouting & condescending me as if I didn't understand English 'keep a distance, stay away, do as I say!' - if we are to follow the distancing rules, why is everyone herded together like pigs in a trough awaiting feeding time?! Then as I was putting my luggage in the trays, again she shouts at me, this time also grabbing my arm to add extra spice to proceedings, & begins barking 'wait for the bags to go through the machine, them first, then you!'. I've literally never encountered this rule at any airport, & it became clear she was doing this to humiliate me, as I watched as she didn't do it to a single other person. I dropped my e-reader without noticing, then happened to see it, and her smirking and looking away with no intention to tell me. Thinking of her now makes my blood boil, she should not be working in a customer-facing role, the tiny bit of power she has has clearly gone to her head. I then had to run the full length of the airport again to get to my gate, was seen by many members of staff but never offered any help, I made it eventually, to find the plane delayed by an hour, & the only shop at the gate closed. As I showed my boarding pass & passport, when we finally began boarding, the woman checking laughed and said 'oh yes, I saw you running before!' - as if the concept of customer assistance had completely passed her by. If you are concerned about the virus, this is the airport to avoid like the proverbial plague - everyone was packed as closely as possible at all times, it appeared to be some kind of competition to see how many human sardines they could fit in the tin, the signage is out of this world, the distance between the major points puts the London marathon to shame, and all in all I never had a worse airport experience than this. I was supposed to be flying from Milan Bergamo, but I guess for extra fun WizzAir decided to change last minute. To keep us all on our toes I suppose. If you see this airport as a destination or departure location, no matter if free first class tickets are served to you on a complimentary golden diamond-encrusted platter in the business lounge, with the promise of the celebrity of your choosing serving drinks on board as you are treated to a full body massage, serenaded by the entire Royal Operatic Society and eating food cooked by Gordon Ramsey himself - fly somewhere else.
Date VisitAugust 2020

"below standards for a European airport"

(Honduras)

Not Verified | Long queues for check-in and for immigration. Waiting time of luggage never less than 30 minutes. Wifi very convoluted to get on, asks a lot of unecessary info, and is slow. Certaily below standards for a European airport.

"Terrible arriving experience"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Terrible arriving experience. 2 hours waiting time for immigration control. This happens every time for the flights arriving from outside EU, especially when arriving at evening.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"the worst airport I've ever seen"

(Romania)

Not Verified | This is the worst airport I've ever seen. The food court is very poor! After the passport control you don't have anything to eat or the possibility to buy a snack or something. I travel a lot but I haven't seen anything like this in my life. I walked a lot to reach the gate B and I was in a permanent hurry even I Ieft the city with 3 and a half hours before the flight on a Sunday. I will try to avoid as much as possible this airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Very friendly airport staff"

Not Verified | Very friendly airport staff - both the helpers around the place (wearing blue shirts) and the security staff. Airport is clean and seems well maintained and signs/directions are clear. On the downside, long passageways and the inbound passport control for non-EU is tends to be very congested. Bathrooms are not the cleanest. Overall, positive and helpful staff makes the MXP experience reasonably good.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the queueing is incredibly slow and long"

Trip Verified | Malpensa terminal 2 is horrible. One would think that after reaching this place (it is awfully far from Milan) the airport would at least be modern, queueing be fast and personnel be polite. Wrong. The terminal itself is super old, the queueing is incredibly slow and long (Monday Morning only 2 control gates open and more than 30 min waiting time) and personnel impolite. If your flight calls the last minute boarding announcement, the personnel around you would just ask you to pay for fast track to avoid the queue (yes, fast track is to be purchased separately). Absolutely below standard, especially for an airport that aims to become a prime gateway to the country.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Passport control line 2.5 hours long"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Passport control line 2.5 hours long! I’ve been telling myself not to use Malpensa over and over again. Terrible experience, outdated architecture. Ugly as hell. Only 3 passport counters working for almost 1000 people.

"Worst airport ever"

(Luxembourg)

Not Verified | Worst airport ever, poor food area, no power outlet, slow WiFi. Hell on Earth. Staff can't speak English are there are not enough seats. Literally a very poor experience.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"level of service we encountered was simply worse than anything seen"

(Italy)

Not Verified | I have been flying several times a year, all over the world, for more than 40 years and have never experienced anything like the level of discourtesy and incompetence I encountered at Malpensa airport last weekend. The experience left my wife, a non EEA national, absolutely distraught, as she was denied boarding a flight to the UK for a family Christmas holiday, despite holding a valid EU residence card and the EU and UK Gov websites also stating she did not need a visa to visit the UK. However, clearly untrained staff were obviously not aware of these important directives. They only allowed us to check in for the flight after a 10 minute delay while an invisible supervisor was consulted. However, after having checked in, things went from bad to worse. Firstly, a passport control officer waved my wife's residence card in her face and taunted her about being in his country and not being able to speak Italian. For the record, she has been in the country less than a year and has only just started taking Italian lessons and while she can speak her native tongue and English fluently, the passport control officer only spoke Italian. Secondly, at the departure gate my wife was denied boarding after airline staff consulted another invisible supervisor. They were absolutely not for listening, even when I showed them the relevant EU and UK government travel directives which indicated my wife had all the necessary travel documentation. The airline staff only wanted us out of the way as soon as possible and refused to let us discuss the matter with a supervising officer. In what was already a very embarrassing and stressful experience for my wife, further salt was rubbed into the wounds as we had to go back through passport control and endure further scorn from the aforementioned officer. After two days of wrangling with the airline's customer service staff, they finally admitted their error and resolved the matter. Furthermore, they mentioned that they would ensure their Malpensa airport staff would be given further necessary training. They clearly need it. I cannot imagine my wife is the only person to have passed through that airport with similar documentation. The inexperienced young officer at check in even alluded to this when she admitted confusion on the issue as sometimes her invisible supervisor allowed some passengers to travel and others not. That's simply arbitrary then and based on whim, not facts. If you are being paid as a supervisor, then you should be seen to be visible and supporting your staff and customers, not shirking responsibility and hiding in some back office. In conclusion, the level of service we encountered was simply worse than anything seen, even in so called 'developing countries' such as Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Well Malpensa, it's time to wake up, because airports in these 'developing countries', are doing things a whole lot better than you are. What's more, their staff have a service mentality and work ethic and are usually much more warm and welcoming to foreign visitors. I hope Malpensa airport staff enjoyed their family Christmas -we certainly did not as a result of your gross incompetence.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"we also had to reach the terminal on foot"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | At the arrival, not only there was no finger, but we also had to reach the terminal on foot and then go up the stairs on foot (long stairs). I recently sprained my ankle and it was super painful. On top of it, we had to walk through the entire departure terminal before reaching the arrival terminal, then go down the stairs and then walk a long way again. After the baggage collection, to go to the train station, you need to walk (again) outside and go to the train station (600 meters away). Once arrived at the station. Surprise: I need to wait 30 min for the train to the city centre in an area where there is no WiFi and not even a cafe where to buy a bottle of water. Is this the richest and most business vibrant city of Italy?