Dublin Airport

"no need to abuse their power"

Not Verified | I asked the airline staff if everything in my cabin bag was allowed and was asked a patronizing 'do you have things in there you are not supposed to have?', rather than just answering my general question. The toilets were filthy. At security, I got through no problem, however, two young ladies in front of me were preparing to go through the scanner and the security officer shouted at them to hurry up. After going through, I was taken my belongings and an older officer immediately pushed me and ordered me to move to another area to put my shoes on etc. didn't even give me a minute. I then ordered coffee, the lady who served me couldn't even speak a word of English and charged me twice for the wrong order, in the end I had to wait for a manager to give me two refunds, one for the wrong order, the other for me being charged twice. At the departure gate, I was asked to present my passport and boarding pass, the boarding pass was on my phone, which had gone into lock screen, as I quickly unlocked my phone, the charmless gentleman snapped at me and said 'no point bringing it if you're not going to show it'. Overall, it was a horrible experience. I don't know why staff feel the need to be so unpleasant to passengers. I understand they have a position of authority, but there is no need to abuse their power.

"Absolutely unacceptable"

Trip Verified | Travelled to Dublin on a regular basis for the last 5 years and the staff at the passport control have always been very friendly and polite. That was my impression, until yesterday. What I have experienced yesterday was outrageous! I was shouted at and verbally abused by one of the operators at the passport control for no reason. They tried to force me to finish a phone call although I only held the phone in my hand. I didn't hold the phone to my ear and still they wouldn't stop shouting and insulting me. I would prefer the Gardai to always be responsible for checking the passports instead as it seems like part of the current staff (whatever qualification they may have!?) isn't professional at all. Small people like this obviously think they are important because they are wearing an uniform. So far I always had a very positive picture of this Airport but unfortunately this has changed now. And I think people like this should be monitored and questioned about their bad and unprofessional behaviour! Even if they want someone to put the phone away (for whatever reason) I expect them to do it in an appropriate way. Absolutely unacceptable. I am still very upset about this incident!
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"not good ambassadors for Dublin"

Trip Verified | Travelled the world but never met such a rude, arrogant and disrespectful bunch of staff. Specifically the female staff. Just because they work in security it doesn’t give them a right to treat other people in such a rude and offensive manner. Certainly not good ambassadors for Dublin. Dublin airport needs to invest in some decent training in customer service or try employing some decent people with manners. Obviously some small minded people feel empowered by working in security.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"easy airport to transit"

Trip Verified | I had an almost four hour layover at Dublin changing from one Aer Lingus international flight to another to JFK New York. The most attractive feature of this airport is that you can do your U.S. Customs and Immigration clearance here itself. Thus, when arriving at JFK, I was able to walk out of the aircraft and airport as if it was a domestic airline. The set up is very similar to that of the airports in the U.S. labyrinthine queues, checking of your bags, taking out liquids and computers, pat downs as necessary and then you go to stalls manned by immigration officers who look at your passport and wave you into the "U.S.". The waiting area beyond this U.S. run security and immigration check is ample as all U.S. bound flights are going through the gates in this area. However, food and shopping options are extremely limited. So it is best to spend more of your time in the general transit area where there are many more eating areas (including a Burger King) and shops selling Guinness liquor to many types of Irish memorabilia. The currency is Euro. The airport is in any case small, and staff speak English with an accent. There are large glass panels in the terminal waiting and walking areas offering splendid views of the tarmac and runway activities. Because you have cleared U.S. Customs, the flight is now a "domestic" U.S. flight and hence no duty free shopping can be availed of on board. You need to do those shopping in the transit area before boarding or at the small stall just after U.S. immigration. An easy airport to transit through. Benefit: Avoid the chaos and delays of clearing immigration and customs on arrival in the U.S. Downside: If you are transiting through Dublin, your journey has just become longer.

"Essentially hassle-free airport"

Not Verified | Essentially hassle-free airport. From all the times I've travelled through here there's never been too long of a wait at security or passport check upon arrival. A good selection of places to eat and duty-free shopping - The staff are usually pleasant too. The only inconvenience is that public transport to the airport from the city centre is infrequent and quite poor. However, we did manage to get a taxi upon arrival quickly.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"ruined our outward journey"

Not Verified | Security staff manner. I have to say I never met people like I did in their position before. As my wife and I came to place our items in the plastic bins for scanning, the guy organising things said to me the plastic bags with toiletries etc got to be sealed, now I had tried sealing them but couldn't and they were the airport bags. Then he started, if they're not closed they ain't going, my wife and I tried to seal them, he said to my wife, you're not even trying, as she has rheumatoid arthritis she was unable and I am ok and I couldn't seal them.Then he said to me loudly, look back, do you not feel embarrassed holding up all those people behind you. After all the hassle he said, go on, we went through totally humiliated. Just to say we are not old, ie 50, are Irish and live in Ireland. Very disappointed and people like this certainly wouldn't make anyone feel welcome coming or going. Basically ruined our outward journey, upset.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"I hate it a bit more each time"

Not Verified | My comments refer to Terminal 1. Horrible airport. Arriving, after a long walk you reach a long queue for passport control. It's a pity that they don't have some way of knowing when they're likely to be busy as it's common to have a massive queue for passport control with half the booths shut. If only there was something like a flight schedule they could look at for planning. Departure is just as bad. Frequently really long queues for security, while half the lines are shut. Everyone is crammed in to make as much room as possible for shops. Sitting down and having a coffee near the gates is a nightmare with constant shouting of gate announcements. By the time you get to your gate you're only too aware about the rules, as you hear them being blasted out at you for every departure for every gate. I fly through Dublin airport on average twice a month and I hate it a bit more each time.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"decent, friendly, clean"

Not Verified | I fly regularly back to Ireland, mostly via Dublin airport and almost always with Aer Lingus, so usually arriving and departing from T2. I really like the terminal. It's quite fast to check-in, though security screening is hit and miss, sometimes really fast, sometimes taking more than 15 minutes. Everything is expensive to eat / drink but there is a decent selection to choose from. Overall, it's easy enough to get around and find somewhere to sit near the gate. Toilets and general areas seem to be well kept, staff are quite friendly, but often with a good dose of Dub banter thrown in. Compared with Gatwick, Heathrow, Newark, JFK, Tegel, CDG and a few others, I'm happy enough with Dublin T2. It's not a patch on Zurich, Schipol, Barajas T3 or Hong Kong though. If anything, I'd like to see more places for charging my laptop / electronics (the free wifi is pretty good, btw). But overall, as an airport, it's decent, friendly, clean, and easy enough to get around.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"treated terribly at the safety check"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Me and my friend were treated terribly at the safety check. Was made fun of in front of all the other people there because we did not know that we were supposed to push our luggage all the way to the machine. We are used to it rolling by itself. Anyway, they could have told us. Instead they made us go back and talk to this horribly rude man who I am sure has never smiled in his life. He also treated our luggage as badly as he treated us. My friend and I work in customer service ourselves, and would never treat people like that. Disrespectful.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"unhelpful and rude staff"

Not Verified | Terrible airport. Coming from an EU county with a connecting flight, we were directed outside the terminal and had to go through security again. All terminal seating is uncomfortable after 20 min. Long lines, unhelpful and rude staff.