Cancun Airport

"this airport nightmare made this trip not worth taking"

Not Verified | This airport is the worst I’ve ever been to in the world. Nobody that works at this airport knows what they are doing nor do they care. They say “I don’t know” to every question a typical traveler would ask or need help with. They yelled at me at the gate when it was my turn to step up to the counter to find out why I paid for a first class seat that they said wasn’t available. All my flights and statuses were paid and confirmed months ago and then the week and day of our flights. They rig their scales for checked bags which we proved to them when we pulled out our luggage weigh tool. Had we not had that they wanted to charge $300 for 1 checked bag that weighed 43 lbs- their scaled claimed our bag weighed 102lbs. They take so long to figure out how to do their job that it caused me to miss my first flight- and connecting flight- they made me book another ticket - on my dime- on top of the first class ticket already purchased. To net this out to all the people considering flying into Cancun international airport - don't. As wonderful as my time was in PDC - this airport nightmare made this trip not worth taking. Staying home in the US in lockdown (no we aren’t locked down, but if we were) would have been better than having to spend a second in the Cancun Airport.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"I have never been more grateful to be back in the U.S"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have ever been to. I will never come back to Mexico just because of this airport. No body working here cares about anything or anyone. Literally almost missed my flight even though I arrived there 3 hours before my flight. Waited in line for over 2 hours just to check bags in. They are such a scattered mess. I have never been more grateful to be back in the U.S. What a mess.
Date VisitJune 2021

"What an absolute embarrassment"

Not Verified | Yesterday, June 20, I took a flight from Cancun airport to Miami. As I was boarding my American Airlines Flight, I was told I was "selected" and told to go to a nearby table where a female official was seated. This official proceeded to treat me as a serious criminal ordering me to take off my outer long sleeve shirt, having me lift my tee shirt up as she swabbed my entire waist line and other most embarrassing things. All of this was done right next to where all other passengers were boarding my flight. What an absolute embarrassment to have this take place in public view. Of course, after nothing was found I was allowed to board my flight but what a shame that Mexican authorities just pick someone at random to conduct this type of intrusive procedure right in public view of everyone. This was a terrible experience.
Date VisitJune 2021

"Plan to be there 2.5 to 3 hours before your flight"

Not Verified | Plan to be there 2.5 to 3 hours before your flight and you’ll be alright. You have to fill a form saying you don’t have COVID (and that’s separate from the negative Covid test needed for travel back to your home country). Make sure your phone is fully charged. There’s expected chaos but if you only speak English there are always Americans you can ask for instructions. Security doesn’t take more than an average US airport. When you fly into Cancun, keep every piece of paper they give you at immigration. Don’t worry about arriving very early to the airport, there are many restaurants and Starbucks inside. (I was at terminal C). The only lounge at the airport isn’t affiliated with any airline, entry fee is about $30. I didn’t try it.
Date VisitMay 2021

"If you want to ruin your vacation, go to Mexico"

Trip Verified | Avoid at any cost this “airport”/country. It took us 2 hours to check in: disorganized, poorly managed long lines. Check-in officers are slow, have a question - go find someone who can understand and give an adequate answer, you will be lucky if you do. We almost missed the flight, another 3 minutes and we would have been stuck there. Trying so hard to get to our flight, we run into incompetence, indifference and unwillingness to help us. When explained that we were miserably missing our flight, the only phrase the staff stubbornly repeated is “go in line”. Period. If you want to ruin your vacation, go to Mexico.
Date VisitMay 2021

"Please plan for way more time than you think"

Not Verified | As an airport in the middle of major tourist destinations, this airport is designed to promote confusion and panic for visitors who likely do not speak Spanish and have little experience of the country, with the goal of getting money from them. Several people will stand inside the airport asking about boarding times to inspire urgency and saying there is not frequent buses to take travelers to different terminals, and that you need to take a taxi to make it on time (this is absolutely not true, there are frequent free buses to transport people around the airport terminals). Definitely be aware of your terminal beforehand, but don’t fall to this trick if you don’t. Check in process requires standing in a massive line to check bags, but payment for those bags are located 100 yards away, but then you have to go back to the first counter to prove purchase and receive your ticket. This is set up to be a time waste and is completely avoidable. Baggage check is laughable, you often have to push your own luggage through the medal detector, and bags are pulled to check items, but they are not going to make it super apparent your bag has been pulled (keep an eye on your stuff). During the pandemic, different questionnaires are required to be completed (which seems fine, there is clearly a need to be safe), but requires a scavenger hunt without any clues to track down the QR codes, forms, and pens to complete. Please plan for way more time than you think, be confident (if you feel panicky from someone who works at an airport, they’re probably trying to get money from you somehow, why would an airport official make you feel extremely uncomfortable and panicky). Side note: Tulum was incredible, would recommend renting a car for travels though.
Date VisitApril 2021

"Do staff know the purpose of their job?"

Not Verified | I had the worst experience through the security check point in your airport. I believe you have the most unprofessional staff! They held me for 30 minutes, I almost missed my flight. Why did they hold me? Because the officer does not know how to do their job. They asked me to put my bag and walk via metal detector 3 times! I had to stay at the end of the line again every time! What do you think they wish hope to find out? Nothing! Only toothpaste. 3 times for toothpaste! Would I come back? Probably Not. Another thing: Airport security asked every one to fill in a COVID survey. Why? Did they ask for it later - No! I thought security in Russia and Turkey was bad. But Cancun airport is the worst right now! No Air-conditioning. I hope someone will read this and train the staff better: For example I took my shoes off and had just pants, underwear and t-shirt, nothing else and the officer was keep asking me to go via the metal detector, when one guy with a jacket in shoes was setting off the detector but no one checked him. My husband kept shoes on and his belt with metal parts on and everything was fine. Really! Do staff know the purpose of their job?
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"felt safe all throughout the process"

Not Verified | Signage clear, airport personnel/customs are quick in assisting arriving passengers to customs clearance. Thermal cameras are in key locations which is very good in my opinion in detecting any or at all "carrier" passengers, felt safe all throughout the process until I went out of the airport no unreasonable delays from customs clearance till baggage pick up. On my return flight I was impressed by the multiple Interviewers until the boarding gate to make sure everybody is safe and feeling ok.
Date VisitNovember 2020

"there were lot's of officials to catch you!"

Not Verified | After passport and luggage pick up there were lot's of officials to catch you! I'd put 3 pack of cigarettes in my bag incase the duty free was not open. It was open so I purchased a carton in EWR. When I was asked if I had cigarettes truthfully replied yes, at the 4th luggage search they had found the additional 3 packs, will be not allowed to destroy it therefore forced to pay $78 duty/tax at a 637% rate on $12 value. There were lot's of people waiting to pay for a few packs of cigarettes, alcohol or an extra computer (one personal, one work). They are in full force out there to get you and make you pay at 637% rate. This is ridiculous! The Embassy in Washington said as long as I was given a proof of payment it's all legal. Basically I had paid $90 for 3 packs of cigarettes. I have no idea how much others must had paid for work computer, iPad, liquor. Good luck for supporting their economy, they are definitely helping themselves to more.
Date VisitAugust 2020

"a very good, clean, safe and efficient airport"

Trip Verified | Cancun is a very good, clean, safe and efficient airport. During this COVID-19 era they have extra safety and cleaning measures in place and you can see and feel them. Flying out of Cancun be prepared for extra luggage screenings all they way to the gate and when flying into Cancun almost everyone on my flight got their luggage opened and hand checked. This could be bothersome but if you've got nothing to hide then you’re fine. For me it was no problem as it made me feel more safe. Flying out of CUN you will also need to compete an online COVID-19 questionnaire that will be given to you at check in with your airline, make sure your phone is charged and with signal or logged to the airport’s WiFi. You will also need a QR reader app. I would like to point out that coming from the USA you are allowed to bring in your hand luggage a large bottle of hand sanitizer, however that’s not the case when flying out of Cancun, they still have the old 3oz rule. Don’t get angry as not everyone will speak English, even immigration officers don’t speak English, have your phone ready with an app that can help you. I really like this airport, is clean, bright and well light, lots to do, safe and efficient.
Date VisitJuly 2020