Auckland Airport

"service desk however was horrible"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I was droping off my mother at Auckland airport yesterday for her first ever trip to New Zealand visiting myself and her grandchildren. She's coming back to Indonesia by herself using Singapore Airlines. Due to her lack of English, the airline had told me to go to service desk to ask for assistance so she could go to the gate that she's supposed to. The lady at the service desk however was horrible. She was rude and started yelling at me. I had done nothing but wait patiently in the queue, and she told me to move away, and back off. I thought people at the customer service were supposed to be friendly and helpful? This lady was not friendly or helpful. So Auckland airport, New Zealand is famous for how friendly and nice the people are here, you put that horrifying kind of person as your representative at the service desk, this was a big mistake.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"only seen it get worse"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I am a regular traveler through Auckland international and i have only seen it get worse, very little improvement at all. Now takes longer than ever and on Sunday 30th of September the cue for immigration was out into the shopping area and only half of the security lanes were open. Poorly managed and completely set up for revenue gathering. I got through Cairo airport far quicker, what an embarrassment. Airlines should boycott, would happily fly to Wellington or Christchurch to avoid if i could.

"very disappointed"

Not Verified | On Sunday 16th Sept I arrived at the Auckland International Airport had a lovely walk over to the Domestic to wait for my connecting flight. A couple of hours later and listening to many delays of flights with disgruntled travellers my flight was also delayed for and hour. With very limited seating due to the delays there was nowhere to sit and people were splayed on the ground to rest their legs. My return 10 days later I am saddened to say I was very disappointed with my lengthy wait at Auckland International on Tues 25th Sept. Due to an earlier connecting flight I had a 5 hour wait at the airport. I don't mind the wait but it would have been nice to have found some seating to use whilst waiting. I scrambled for a table to sit and eat, the limited food outlets led me to the Haymama for something decent, unfortunately I had the wonton soup that consisted of 6 small wontons and some 2 min noodles in a very bland hot water - this 'meal' cost me the expensive price of $16. Disgusting. I dread to think what some of our travellers from overseas think of this. I know there are modifications going on but please - for heavens sake - some seating and reasonable food at a respectful price. You have a captive audience and they will be back and they do pass on their thoughts and recommendations.

"What a poor airport"

Trip Verified | What a poor airport. We had a layover for 3 hours and they didn't have a restaurant to have dinner. Only a food court with limited selection and long queues because of the low number of choices. No place to get a quick decent burger. Uncomfortable chairs. Noisy atmosphere. Construction all over the place.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"we deserved better service"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | Not happy with the free wifi only limited to 45 min and for used for once only. I have used up the 45 min when I arrived on 24/8/18 but when I departed on 26/8/18, I was unable to used it as it mentioned I had used up my free wifi limit so it means the free wifi 45 min is for either arrival or departure usage only. What a joke. I cannot immagine such a developed country has such limitation as I am from Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur International Airport has no such issue. Free Wifi is a must in this modern days. Also there are limited seats at departure hall only for us to sit. As a passengers and pay tax to use the airport so I think we deserved better service.

"another horrible experience"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Another horrible experience at this horrible airport. No decent food options, with those that are there understaffed with queues a mile long. Don't bother of you want to catch your plane on time. And the toilets evil automatic flush gets you everytime. Disgusting.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"security lines were incredibly long"

Not Verified | Departure - Flew Auckland to LAX on business - Very disappointing. The security lines were incredibly long, no differentiation for priority passengers and only 2 security scanners open. Once through there was a food hall of perhaps 2-3 fast food outlets and 1 or 2 shops. Long walk to gate and once there virtually no seats. Lots of construction. Arrival was ok but again lots of construction and long lines for customs, food inspection etc. Unfortunately you don't have a choice but to go through this airport to visit NZ which is I guess why there is no incentive to make it even close to comparable airports but I expected more from what is a usually pragmatic and efficient country.
Date VisitMay 2018

"shocking service Auckland"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I flew to Brisbane on the 28th July with a 17 month old infant. I was horrified at the distance my departure gate was to walk with infant. On arrival at destination staff were waiting with strollers. On leaving Brisbane Qantas the same amazing service. Stroller supplied and staff couldn’t be more helpful. Once back in NZ I asked for stroller as it was a long walk again. Staff laughed telling me to get mine of the carousel. Once again holding infant in my arms, had to walk for miles. Shocking service Auckland.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"just end up disappointed"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I use Auckland International all the time when I travel overseas with family. First of all the access, just getting out there is a dilemma, with all the continuous roadworks in the are the commute time is just stupid. I live on the shore so I use the Waterview tunnel which does reduce the travel time but when you do get out there it is so confusing just to find where to go because the layout is constantly changing. Once you do get inside and to the check-in hall and arrivals level, you get an immediate early 2000s feel with the ugly flooring and just the general feel of the airport [old] and even though it is so crowded that you constantly bump into peoples sholders it just seems disused. Checking in is also a challenge, the layout means the queues zig-zag all over the place and once you have dropped your bag you go upstairs to the departure (pre-security) level you just end up disappointed with the lack of restaurants and shops and the small area that they are situated in. Security on the way out is nice and quick and the staff are friendly [I have an NZ passport] but once you are through the struggle continues, the noise from the power tools was aggravating and there was very little space because of the closed off parts and shut shops, the rest is better but is a tight hodge podge which even though there is decent signage it makes it difficult to find your gate. I have found that boarding any aircraft is always slow at this airport. On the way back in the zig-zagging is terrible and the baggage claim has very bad signage as to what flight and where your bag is, security on the way out is always slow. I have used the domestic terminal and it is not as bad but is the original international airport building from the 1950s so it is extra tiny and if you fly regionally they do not scan your carry on bag which is weird. It is super cramped and the a.c is broken so it is too hot or freezing cold inside.
Date VisitApril 2018

"seems to be no contingency planning"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland airport is third world to other Western airports, the fact that they are mid way through an upgrade is a joke, there is not enough security check ins, and when there was a security breach the place ground to a halt with people queuing out the doors. There seems to be no contingency planning or if there is it failed at the first hurdle. Auckland airport, go look at Singapore Changi and see how it should be done.
Date VisitJuly 2018