Auckland Airport

"suffering from lack of investment"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Terrible airport suffering from lack of investment. Not enough aircraft stands. Had to wait 15 minutes! On arrival for ground crew to connect air stairs. On departure passengers pass customs before baggage screening meaning if you have and prohibited objects you can't take them back to family or friends. Complete lack of thought or customer care. Greedy management underfunding New Zealand's main airport.
Date VisitMay 2019

"I missed my flight by seconds"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | After arriving at airport late because of an issue with SkyBus, I missed my flight by seconds. The Jetstar gate crew called out to me that the gate was closing so to run, so I ran but the skyway staff literally closed the gate in my face. Jetstar claimed that they’d been calling out my name but I heard several names getting called and didn’t hear mine. Reason I’m writing is because if the bag check people had a better system those who are running late could be made a priority. I can think of several ways to achieve this just off the top of my head, surely it can be done. I had planned to get to airport with ample time spare to have breakfast which obviously never happened, so it really wasn’t my fault that I was late. Fair enough if I arrived 2 minutes late, but this gate was literally closed in my face. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who missed a flight that morning because of SkyBus. I had a good trip home on SkyBus. It was just one of those things but a simple fix by Akl Airport could resolve this. If your boarding pass shows your flight is boarding then you get to jump the queue at bag check. I was too shy to push in front, wasn’t sure how I was going for time, or when my flight was boarding. This cost me an extra $289.
Date VisitMay 2019

"hasn't been any overall thought given"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I hate how they force you through a curve just to try and give them slightly more time to make you buy duty free goods upon arrival. The transfer to domestic is an embarrassment by 21st century global standards (walk and shuttle are awful), and there is totally inadequate bag drop at both international and domestic terminals if you are transferring to a domestic flight. There obviously hasn't been any overall thought given to make this airport function efficiently. Departure lounges are small in both international and domestic, and every flight I have taken via Auckland recently has been delayed. Food options are poor and very expensive.
Date VisitApril 2019

"avoided the horrendous queue"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Our flight to HNL was departing at 23.55 and we got to the airport around 21.15pm. By about 21.30pm we had checked in and been through security. Most of it had to do with the fact we had already checked in online for Hawaiian airlines and thus avoided the horrendous queue everyone else appeared to be stood in, but you win some, you lose some. The return trip was much the same - breezed through customs, bag collect and bio so again, well done to AKL. Very rarely can one say this about an airport these days.
Date VisitApril 2019

"toilet facilities were a disgrace"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My wife and I spent nearly 2 hours at Auckland domestic terminal in the Koru lounge and the day was one of delays due to bad weather all over the country thus putting toilet facilities under immense pressure, but, For goodness sake Auckland Domestic terminal is not situated in a third world country and the toilet facilities at both ends of the terminal were a disgrace. Cubicles without toilet paper and the paper hand towels strewn all over the room, and at no stage did I see and cleaning staff within. I was embarrassed to see this area not having constant care, especially when the airlines are delayed and staff knowing that toilet areas would come under pressure with heavy usage.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Terrible airport"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Terrible airport, takes well over half an hour for them to load bags off the plane when there are hardly any flights. No seating for older people to sit on, great big unnecessary obstacles in the carparks to make it nearly impossible to get anywhere with a trolley.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"a long time to wait for a shuttle"

Trip Verified | This is our first time in NZ, arriving in Auckland airport. The airport is small, and it took us a long time to wait for a shuttle to take us to our rental car. The outside, not as clean.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Unbelievably quick and efficient"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Unbelievably quick and efficient. Arrived back in NZ after holiday in Hong Kong, arrived 4.15pm, flight was 1.5 hours late after amazing run-around at Sydney Airport during transfer, which was annoying as it threw us into late afternoon traffic into Auckland. What a pleasant surprise Auckland arrival was, we were expecting long delays after the rantings and ravings by a local Auckland radio jock, whose name rhymes with "busking", but we were amazed at the turnaround since our last visit, we honestly were outside waiting for a shuttle in 10 minutes, our bags were on the turnstile as soon as we arrived at baggage claim, there were plenty of auto passport scan booths available, the customs guy was friendly and chatty and with nothing to declare he waved us straight through, it's hard to believe but we were through our home airport quicker than either Hong Kong or Changi, well done Auckland, world class.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"ordeal cost us time and energy"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | After queuing up for quite a while (around 30-45 minutes) to check in our baggage at the MAS counter for flight MH 130 on 22/11/18, we were ushered to the Business Class check-in counter as it was free. The man at the counter weighed our luggage and told us that the total was 108kg (maximum baggage allowance = 90kg in total. Hence, we were supposedly 18kg in excess). We were shocked and couldn't believe it. We promptly went to the airport's weighing station to weigh the luggages ourselves and found that the total was only 56kg, not 108kg. Then, we had to line up again to check in our luggage. We went to a different counter and this time, the total was approximately 56kg. We do not know why the first weighing was so terribly inaccurate and shudder at the thought that we would have had to fork out money for the excess weight. We did inform the man at that first counter, just so he would be aware of this mistake and so it wouldn't happen to other people. However, he did not offer an apology. This whole ordeal cost us time and energy, and left us feeling too stressed to even eat.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Very impressive service"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Very impressive service from the assistance team at Auckland airport in terms of helping a single mother travelling with a baby all the way. Fast and efficient. These girls made our day and deserve a reward.
Date VisitNovember 2018