ZIPAIR

"I thought meals were included"

Trip Verified | Asked to change to aisle seat denied at ticket counter and on plane even though they had several open available. When I booked ticket I didn’t know or see wHere I wanted to purchase meals, I thought meals were included. I said I would pay and I had to wait over an hour till they accommodated other passengers. Then I could buy only certain and few items.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Tokyo
Date FlownAugust 2022

"they would refund me the tax”"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | I got covid while visiting my brother for a wedding in Arizona. When I tried to reschedule my flight they refused, stating they would refund me the “tax” in 2 months time. I now have to spend another $500 for a new ticket on top of the $320 total for PCR tests.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"the visa I did not have"

Trip Verified | This is the worst service I have ever received from an airline! I spent more than 1000$ USD on a one way ticket only to find that there was no phone number to verify my flight details/requirements. The Japanese and US embassy claimed that I didn't need a visa for Japan to transfer there as long as my flight was within 24 hours. Since my layover in Tokyo was 6 hours I thought I was in the clear. When I got to my departure airport, Noi Bai Hanoi International Airport, the staff would not let me board my flight. Aside from the visa I did not have, the airport staff claimed I needed a negative PCR test, all for only a 6 hour layover in the same day? I used the online chat feature to chat with what seemed like a robot (programmed in India with barely understandable English) prior to my flight. However, this robot could not inform me, nor give me any information regarding where to search for the requirements of flying through Tokyo and needing to recheck my baggage. I am now stuck on an expired visa,. In addition, I need to purchase a 2000$ USD plane ticket home.
RouteHanoi to Los Angeles via Tokyo
Date FlownJuly 2022

"need a Japanese citizenship to transfer"

Trip Verified | Got to the Zipair check in desk and they refuse to board us, saying we need a Japanese citizenship to transfer from Narita to a connecting flight within 24 hours. It makes no sense as even the Japanese embassy said no visa is required for connecting flight that’s within 72 hours as long as you stay in international area of airport. Very unprofessional.
RouteLos Angeles to Seoul via Tokyo Narita
Date FlownJuly 2022

"$300 savings was absolutely not worth it"

Trip Verified | My issues started before we even flew. I recovered from Covid but was still testing positive for over a week. Had to get a letter from the Japanese Consulate. At first Zipair said they don't know if they can accept it and to email a copy in. So I emailed a copy and was told they won't accept it. So I called overseas to their Japan HQ and the people there said "They might accept it at LAX, try your luck". No I am not going to try my luck. 12 hours before before my flight was to leave they send me an email saying they can accept the consulate paper. Ridiculous that they are so disorganized. Check-in was easy but their online support said they will add TSA precheck when we check-in. At check-in they refused to do so. On the flight you are only given 1 meal, if you paid in advance and 1 bottle of water - it's barely a snack even to Japanese. You are also given the food 1 hour after boarding so enjoy 10 hours of nothing. You will get no more food, water, etc. If you want anything else you have to order it via your phone connected to their in-flight wifi. I ordered a coffee, cost about $2.50 and was brought in a very small cup. At least when you order snacks they do come fast. In-flight entertainment didn't exist. The system worked on the ground but the second it was airborne all entertainment didn't work. So bring your own movies and entertainment. The seats were clear and nice. Felt the same as any other airline but it certainly was cleaner. The $300 savings was absolutely not worth it. This is Spirit airlines Japan Edition
RouteLos Angeles to Narita
Date FlownJuly 2022

"worst airline experience ever"

Not Verified | Terrible experience with customer service on this airline. Given it is required to get a visa to travel to Japan and you have to be part of an organized tour we were denied access due to lack of availability on booked tours. Totally out of our control and infringed on honeymoon plans to Japan. ZIPAIR refused any form of change or refund and despite several calls and emails have left us with nothing. The worst airline experience ever from two people who fly a lot. We booked business class and are out thousands of dollars. Avoid at all cost.
RouteTokyo to Los Angeles
Date FlownJuly 2022

"customer service is terrible"

Not Verified | Bangkok to Tokyo. I’ve flown many low cost airlines before, but they still served meals, offered beverages, and just had more general information. The flight attendants were there for no reason because they don’t even go down the aisle once even for water. There’s less than ten movies to choose from for a 8 hr flight. The customer service is absolutely terrible, not even a phone number on their website, and they never got back to any emails. On our way home from Thailand, we were denied boarding because they couldn’t complete the transfer due to the check in counter because outside the terminal in Japan. We couldn’t make our flight and had to buy another flight with a completely different airline. Lost over 1000$ due to this discrepancy and inability to transfer in Japan, and misinformation.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownJune 2022

"Avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | Avoid at all costs. I booked flights to go from Singapore to Tokyo and due to unforeseen circumstances I have been really unwell and aren’t allowed to fly. I reached out to zipair and advised the situation and the medical advise I was given. I requested a voucher or refund and will fly with them again when i can. The operator advised I would be only receiving $50 (AUD) from a $550 (AUD) refund because HQ would give anything else (exact words) I was dumbfounded that that was the response. Not even with a medical certificate would they assist with situation. I am out of pocket $500 due to something I have no control over. I wish i could honestly fly with them, Its a planned holiday but I am physically unable. Really disappointing from an airline trying to build again
RouteSingapore to Tokyo
Date FlownJune 2022

"Will not recommend to anyone"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flight was leaving at 23.15 and after an hour and a half flying had to get back to airport due to a medical emergency of a passenger. Upon landing we were left inside the plane in the tarmac until 4:15 am and told to deplane and pick up our luggage and flight would be cancelled. Zipair did not take responsibility for the passengers and just left everyone to sort themselves out at 5am, even families with small children, their reply was “oh, there are many hotels in Bangkok”. When these situations have occurred to me always airline took to hotel, specially once we had already left ground. They didnt offer anything at all at the time… Flight was rescheduled for the next day at the same time.. upon checking in at 10pm or so, they offered a meal voucher of 300THB as compensation… couldn't they have given the voucher in the morning and not just an hour before leaving. Will not recommend to anyone
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownMay 2022

"It was immaculately clean"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Zipair is JAL’s budget airline. They don’t have classes of travel, you just pick your seat (flat bed, emergency exit etc) and pay accordingly. We usually travel BA or JAL business class. This trip was last minute and JAL business was going to cost $8k. Instead we paid just over $2.5k to fly with Zipair in their fully flat seats. Your ticket includes nothing but 7kg of cabin baggage (and they do weigh rucksacks/handbags etc), a bottle of water and the seat you booked. Check in process was not good. Of course we aren’t used to queuing for check in, but here everyone queues. There is no Advanced Passenger Information loaded, so with covid added the check in process was long. Also both our cabin bags were over 7kg so we had to put a bag in the hold. (You can pay to add a bag to the hold, but you can’t pay for additional cabin baggage. They are strict on weight to the gram). We were also asked if we had a return ticket, which as it was booked at the same time as the outward trip was a bit worrying. Finally because the seat map is misleading we had not booked seats together (eg row 2 does not align across the cabin so although we had seats that were both in row 2, in fact I was sat behind and to the right of my husband. This was pointed out to us at check-in but we weren’t allowed to change our seats despite the fact that there were only 2 other seats taken in the fully flat cabin. Seats must be booked at least 24 hours before check-in and again this is enforced strictly. (We couldn’t even change seats on board although the seat on my husband’s left was free). The fully flat bed was nearly as good as JAL/BA business class (not quite so much storage). Includes reading light, table and some storage space. You can stow your hand baggage under the foot stool for take-off and landing (an improvement on the new BA business class seats). Its quite hard, but otherwise good. It was immaculately clean (again better than BA), cabin crew were excellent and it felt safe. There is no entertainment screen. WiFi is included free of charge, and a (very) small selection of films is available. The fully flat seat has a USB charging point. Fairly basic food and drinks can be bought on board by ordering via your mobile device and QI code. The onboard shop opens about an hour after take-off and closes about an hour before landing. Otherwise meals must be booked in advance. Pre-booked meals are served before the onboard shop is open, so you can’t buy a drink until after your meal. Cushions and blankets are not included, but can be bought from the online shop. In deciding whether to use Zipair you need to compare cost to convenience. If you have time to download movies, book seats in advance (there is no app to make this easy), pre-order meals, and to bring your own pre- and with-meal drinks that will help. Also to bring your own cushion/blanket if you like to sleep as soon as you get on board. For me, some of the joy was missing. There wasn’t enough meal/entertainment/shopping to pass much time for those who are not good at sleeping. Is that worth $5.5k - only you can answer that.
AircraftDreamliner