ZIPAIR

"I should not have to pay extra just to get a meal"

Not Verified | I paid a large amount of money for what is a 6 hour flight from Tokyo to Bangkok. The very least they can do is include food! I should not have to pay extra just to get a meal. I’ve been on many flights and every single one includes food if longer than 5 hours. Terrible.
RouteTokyo to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I cannot say enough good things about Zipair"

Not Verified | I cannot say enough good things about Zipair. First and foremost is the excellent price for a round trip ticket from LA to Tokyo. With the current exchange rate you can go Business class for under $2,000 R/T, or for under $900 if you fly economy. This is with all the upgrades added. You will spend a little more on snacks and drinks, but that is even cheap with our current exchange rates. The seats are all comfortable and their internet is free. I would recommend downloading some shows prior to take off as the internet did drop a couple of times.
RouteLos Angeles to Narita
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I highly recommend ZipAir"

Trip Verified | It was my first time with ZipAir and I was a bit leery of flying so far with a budget airline, but it was an enjoyable experience. Off to a good start, the check-in was fast and efficient. I flew in Standard (economy) class with 3-3-3 seating, which was comfortable with adequate legroom. The basic fare is only for the seat, but I opted for the "value" package to get 23 kg checked baggage, seat selection plus a meal (pre-selected from a picture menu) and still saved about $500 over the fares of established airlines. Passengers are required to show their boarding pass during flight to verify the optional upgrade. The tasty meal came in a box on a tray, with just beef and rice next to bottled water. There was no salad, dessert nor other drink, But the free Wi-Fi connected to my smart phone allowed ordering drinks and snacks later, as well as compensating for having no seatback screen. The charming cabin attendants were very safety conscious, double-checking to make sure overhead bins were closed securely. ZipAir should be commended for creating a unique budget flying experience on lengthy international flights. Some earlier negative Skytrax reviews were based on unmet pandemic regulations and refund policies, not the flights themselves, Overall, I highly recommend ZipAir as an alternative to traditional carriers whose fares have skyrocketed on the HNL-NRT route since the pandemic, Just follow the their common sense rules and enjoy the money saved.
RouteHonolulu to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownNovember 2022

"insist I paid for another 23kg of luggage"

Trip Verified | Twenty years in the film distribution business and never once has an airline refused to allow me to hand carry movie posters in a tube until my first flight with Zipair from NRT-SIN on Nov 4th 2022. They said my poster tube exceeded the dimensions of their overhead compartment. They insist that I paid for another 23kg of check-in luggage when my check-in luggage was 19.5kg of 23kg and my hand carry was only 4.5kg of 7kg. It was very clear that they did not want to listen to my explanation that my luggage was under weight and the poster tube weighed under 2kg. They kept saying that it is company policy. The flight was less than 20% occupied. A Very empty flight. The overhead compartment would have easily contained my poster tube with plenty of space to spare. Poster paper measures 27inch width and 39inch height rolled into a poster tube (cardboard) 2 inches longer than the poster's width. The cabin crew were unsmiling patrolling the aisles like the police. I found them annoying as they made their presence felt, too much and gave out that I am watching you feeling. And it's not like they were giving out water. You have to pay for it. My pre-paid inflight meal was not bad. The expensive wagyu beef bowl is available and they seemed to have stopped selling their normal beef bowl.(minus points here) Purchased a can of Suntory Premium Beer and Pringles. Paid with a credit card but had to type in my details on their tablet. Prices were reasonable but I had to self-type all the cc details, etc for it to happen. Cash is not accepted for inflight sales. Otherwise, the flight was smooth., cabin was clean (hardly any pax) Less rigidity and friendly cabin crew may improve business. Keep your current attitude and Scoot will benefit most with their flexibility and surprisingly professional and charming cabin crew on my SIN-NRT flight on the same trip. Both flight tix were bought using the airline official website.
RouteTokyo Narita to Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2022

"had me pay a fee to take the luggage"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. They say that my luggage is too big for cabin, because it doesn’t fit a small box they had. But inside the airplane there was not only plenty of space but I’ve flown with the same suitcase carry-on for years. So they had me pay a fee to take the luggage to checked baggage. I asked them if they can make it cheaper if I take stuff out. I had 15kg. They said no, 6500 yen is the cheapest. Then I looked on the website and the cheapest was under 14kg with 5500 yen. I came to the airport 3h before departure and waited and waited at the gate. I saw then boarding two other destinations (Singapore and Bangkok) before they started with Los Angeles (my destination). I went there one hour before departure because I was worried. They said that the gates are closed and we can’t het checked in, I said I was there for 3h and not once did I hear them call the LAX flight. They eventually let all of us in and we managed to get on the plane. I just wanted the minimum amount of respect and professionalism when dealing with customers. If one of them complains, it’s maybe the customer who’s crazy. But when you have 3 passengers not checked in because they didn’t know where/when to do it, then there must be a problem with your system. Thirdly, they didn’t offer us water as a free service on a 10h flight. You had to buy it.
RouteTokyo Narita to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2022

"Very frustrating experience"

Trip Verified | Very frustrating experience. Does not allow connecting flights at Tokyo during the time of COVID restrictions and does not inform this when making the reservation online. This is not clearly stated and feels very deceptive. Do not fly this airline and pay for something reputable.
RouteBangkok to Tokyo
Date FlownOctober 2022

"go with a reputable airline"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Tokyo. DO NOT BOOK. There is a reason the flight costs are so low. They do not guarantee or stand by their brand. The airline would not allow us to fly due Japan restrictions and would not allow any re booking, credit or refund. Every single airline in COVID times, allowed options. They were difficult to speak with and only available via chat. Spend the extra money and go with a reputable airline.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo
Date FlownJune 2022

"hoping that he is able to get a refund"

Trip Verified | My son, active duty military, had a connection in LAX to go back to Japan where he is stationed. His connection landed 2 hours prior to his flight on ZIPAIR, he was informed his bag had to be re-checked at their counter prior to going through customs to board his flight. There was no agent at the counter to check his bag or father his required documents, check him in and provide a boarding pass. After multiple conversations with airport help desks and ZIPAIR customer service we ultimately had to book a flight on a different airline in order to get him back to Japan timely. Now we are just hoping that he is able to get a refund from ZIPAIR. I would not recommend using them for any flight but if you do be prepared for pricy inconveniences and no customer service. If I could rate them a 0 I would
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Be prepared for any inconvenience"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | I bought a flight from Zipair in July. I will flight 24 of August from Singapore to japan, and take my new flight from Japan to Brazil in 28 of August. In 22 of August I went to a clinic in Singapore and I and my grandchild did the PCR test. In 23 of August in the evening I received a e-mail from Zipair saying that my flight was cancelled. One day before the flight departure. And the next flight available will be only 28 of August (same day that my flight from Emirates will leave Japan). So I had to buy a new ticket that cost four time more from another company and I had to do a new PCR express test that cost me 280SGD per person. Total 560SGD + 2.300SGD for a new ticket. When I asked for refund the first assistant told me that the Zipair will refund the PCR test too. But when I asked for a refund, the company refunded only the ticket value. Be prepared for any inconvenience as it is not a reliable company.
AircraftDream Liner
RouteSingapore to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownAugust 2022

"had to buy another flight"

Trip Verified | Was not informed of needing a PCR test so attempted to change flight but was not allowed nor was refund even considered and had to buy another flight. Was only refunded "airport services fees" but not the preflight charges paid for and never used which include seat charges, meal charges, and baggage charges. If non Japan resident, you are unable to purchase travel insurance nor is there a toll free number to speak to anyone from the airline; just an outsourced ISA in a non English/Japanese speaking country who does not care about customer retention. Have a magnifying glass handy when purchasing your ticket so you can read the fine print that is meant to benefit the airline and cheat the customer.
RouteHonolulu to Tokyo Narita