WOW air

"it was a catastrophe"

Unverified | Los Angeles to Paris via Keflavik. Me and my sister booked a trip to Europe in September 2016 for March 7th through the 13th of 2017. I would call once a month to make sure the flight was still on time and nothing had changed. And every month everything was ok and still the same. The reason I would check so often is because I read the reviews and they said that WOW air flights were being cancelled without proper notice. Since they would assure me every time I called , that everything was ok, I proceeded to book my tours and hotel room in December. I booked a hotel stay and 5 tours around paris France. The time approached quickly for our departure and the day before our flight we received a message that our flight had been cancelled. We were suppose to board on the 7th march at 10:03am and WOW air sent us a cancellation message March 6th at 11pm. They gave us 2 choices. We could receive a full refund but it would take 5 to 7 business days or we could get on the next flight that was available and that was for march 11th. I was devastated. That would mean we would miss all the tours and would only have two days in the hotel we paid 6days for. There was no other accommodation on their end. So I had to book through another airline and spend money on two extra tickets in order to get to the room On time. And also make it for the tours. I will never book with WOW air again. They were unprofessional, with minimal customer service and cost me so much extra money with care about the perdicament they put me and my sister in. It was obvious that they did not care about us. I ended up getting my money back at the end of my trip so wow airlines ruined my whole trip it was a catastrophe. I hope that they shut them down. Please read the reviews. They are all real and true.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris via Keflavik
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a nasty customer culture"

Verified Review | We traveled early morning having to get up at 2.30pm. I am 6ft 5' and it was an expensive trip to Iceland, so was beyond budget paying for extra legroom seats. When I saw 2 extra leg room seats together not being used, normally if you ask nicely to sit in them there is never a problem - except for Wow Air. I was curtly told that if I wanted to make use of the seats I would have to pay the emergency leg room supplement. When I pointed out the seats were empty anyway and so not costing them anything or depriving them of additional income, the air hostess replied 'It wouldn't be fair to the passengers who had already paid extra in the other seats." I said it was hardly fair having me cramped and squashed in my seat when there was the simple humane thing of letting me sit one row in front in the empty extra leg room chairs. I also pointed out that people paying for extra leg room were paying for the guarantee, the certainty of having these seats, and not paying to deny others. After my legs were knocked 3 time by the trolley doing its rounds and waking me up 3 times one of the air hostesses revealed some humanity, and invited me to sit on one of the empty extra leg room seats for the remainder of the flight. The episode clearly reveals a truth about Wow Air: it puts exploitation of every commercial opportunity before customer service. A nasty customer culture.
RouteReykjavik to Bristol
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Worst airline I've ever flown"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Los Angeles via Keflavik. Worst airline I've ever flown. The offered flights are not cheaper than those of other airlines as WOW air makes you pay for food, luggage, etc. extra. Both flights I were delayed. We had to wait in the waiting area forever just to be driven to the plane where we had to wait again in the cold. Only half of the already little food options was actually available. The only vegetarian option they had was a cup of quinoa that turned out as a major fail. However, the airline was nice enough to spare my from this on my return flight as it got cancelled just hours before due to technical issues. But don't even try to reach the hotline. If you want to do yourself a favor fly with a grown up airline that knows what it's doing.
RouteFrankfurt to Los Angeles via Keflavik
Date FlownDecember 2016

"Just avoid WOW air"

Verified Review | Baltimore-Washington to Bristol via Keflavik. WOW air isn't really cheap. When you add in the "extras" - paying for a seat choice (mandatory), luggage, it only saved my family about 10% compared to regular airlines with a direct flight. Food in the plane and Keflavik airport is awful and ridiculously expensive. We arrived in Iceland to find our connecting flight had been cancelled, and we had a 9 hour wait in the airport. With 2 exhausted small kids at 4am local time, we had to find ourselves a hotel for the 9 hours. The customer service desk said WOW air could not put us up in a hotel, but would refund us if we submitted a claim. We submitted the claim, but 3 months later haven't heard anything back. After reading a few reviews, it seems WOW air just ignores online claims. When we finally got on our connecting flight, we found it was a charter aircraft because Wow's own plane had broken down. It was even worse than the Wow planes we flew on - less legroom, really tatty and old, and 2 of the toilets were out of use. Just terrible. Do yourself a favor, and book with a regular airline, for trans-Atlantic at least. After you spend on choosing a Wow seat, luggage, plane/airport food, you don't end up saving anything and have all the inconvenience of traveling with a budget airline. The airport in Iceland was the worst for facilities and prices I've used. Just avoid WOW air.
RouteBaltimore to Bristol via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2016

"was a very bad experience"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Reykjavik. Yesterday travelling with WOW air with a backpack of 30 litres which usually fit as hand luggage, this time the lady on the desk made me pay 74GBP for my luggage, being rude to me and saying that if I ask again, why I have been charged, I won't travel. She send me to put my backpack on the sizer, which I did. Then it stuck with one of the straps, I just went put it in again because obviously this is not a hard case and it doesn't fit in the same way in the sizer, but she told me that should fit without pushing, obviously I wasn't pushing, but she didn't want to listen and said that I had to pay for my backpack. I'm very dissapointed with this company, and this is the first time that happen to me. I don't think I will fly with this company again, it was a very bad experience.
RouteGatwick to Reykjavik
Date FlownMarch 2017

"worst flight I was ever on"

Verified Review | The cabin was so hot, it felt like 82°F. I asked if there was a way to cool down the cabin, they FA said no and they didn't know why it was hot in the cabin. They were charging almost $5 for a small water without refills. I refused to buy one and slowly sipped my water from Amsterdam airport. Coming back was the same from Amsterdam to Los Angeles via Keflavik. This was the second trans Atlantic vacation I have ever made and the worst flight I was ever on. Cheap but I would never fly with them again.
RouteAmsterdam to Los Angeles via Keflavik

"inconvenience so drastically"

Verified Review | I was scheduled to be on WOW Air flight from Montreal to Reykjavik on Feb 26th. I took the train in from Ottawa, and arrived pretty early in Montreal. I received an update at 3pm, indicating that my departure was delayed and the gate had changed. Annoying, but better than what ended up happening.  Close to my new departure time (8:20pm) I make my way to the gate desk, because they say that there is an announcement for those with connections to Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Initially thought it was going to be info on my new connection - it was a message telling me that due to poor weather my flight to Amsterdam was a no go. The weather wasn't affecting the Montreal to Reykjavik part, but the Reykjavik to Amsterdam part. Furthermore, apparently there were no hotels available in Reykjavik, so I was not getting on the flight. After close to 1.5 hours on hold, I get a customer service rep. I can either cancel booking or reschedule. Next available flight is 1 March, making a week long vacation that much shorter and probably not worth the amount of air travel. So I cancel.  But because I cancel and not reschedule.. they airline isn't obligated to put me in a hotel. They cancel on me, and I'm on the hook? After some discussion, they were able to make an exception for me and I got a hotel room. And I stress exception.. they repeated it a lot. If they cancel on me with little to no notice, why would it be on me?! They also attempted to blame me for not going to the ticket counter upon arrival to the airport. They said starting around 4pm, they were letting guests know that their flights were cancelled. So it's my fault I arrived there early!? Why weren't announcements made? Why wasn't a text sent to me, like the flight delay was? I even messaged on twitter, clearly indicating I was on the Amsterdam flight. I received a response but nothing indicating a complete cancellation.  Somewhat annoyed and unable to sleep. I decided to check out the Reykjavik departure website. Guess what? My flight to Amsterdam not only wasn't cancelled, it took off. Also, there is a flight from Reykjavik to Amsterdam in the morning of 28 Feb. Could be full, but why wasn't there effort made for me to make that? I understand flights get cancelled, I'm not the first person it's happened too. But the behaviour of the airline is unfair at best, and sketchy in my opinion. Why was my flight really cancelled? Was it overbooked and one way of dealing with it is just cancelling certain connections? Why wasn't I allowed to go to Reykjavik and explore other options there? Why didn't they inform me of the changes as soon as they were known? Why is there no responsibility for the airline to take care of those they inconvenience so drastically? Why didn't they try to help me get a flight with another organization? Where is the accountability? Yes, they refunded my flight (hopefully, actually hasn't taken affect yet), but I am out several hundred dollars on non-refundable items I purchased.
RouteMontreal to Amsterdam via Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Thank you for everything"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Newark. I was confronted with weather conditions in UK. My flight was delayed and I missed my connection to Montreal. WOW air booked me on another flight to my final destination the next day. They also booked me a hotel near the Keflavik airport. I appreciated the way they treated us. You shouldn't afraid to book a flight with them. Thank you for everything.
RouteBristol to Montréal via Keflavik

"uncomfortable and unpleasant"

Verified Review | Newark to Reykjavik return. That was a "Wow" experience but not in a good way! If you travel with your family or friends, you will be separated in completely different parts of the plane unless you pay extra for every seat selection, in my case I was travelling with yang children it was very stressful we all got seats in three different sections of the airplane. For every checked in luggage is a charge $68 per bag at check in or $51 online, you pay for everything while flying, they don't even give you a cup of water for free, payment with credit card only and not all cards are working. The airplane is very small, no leg space at all, no TVs, no monitors. They kept lights on for almost a whole entire flight trying to sell duty free items, very uncomfortable and unpleasant flight.
RouteNewark to Reykjavik
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"biggest nightmare of my life"

Verified Review | Reykjavik to Newark. This airline was the biggest nightmare of my life. We were traveling home from Iceland and on the way to the airport when our flight was cancelled. The customer service was nonexistent at best. We waited in line for hours to be told we had to call a telephone number that was busy for hours. We were appalled they couldn't do anything for us at the desk. We found out that they'd never dealt with a cancelled flight before and clearly had no protocol. They were unhelpful, did not try to reschedule on any other flights, and basically only gave the option to take a flight a few days later. We felt stranded in a foreign country with no assistance or reassurance. We were forced to take another airline for four times the cost, and were only offered an apology and one way refund. This airline is clearly no frills - you have to pay extra for everything and it really shows that you're not on a quality airline. I would not recommend!
RouteReykjavik to Newark