WestJet Airlines

"uncomfortable flight"

Toronto to Vancouver with Westjet - legroom has gotten noticeably smaller in the past few years. I'm 6'6" and had the most uncomfortable flight. Not since the days of Canjet have I been that cramped. I hadn't flow Westjet in a couple years, mainly because I prefer the movie selection on Air Canada, but I do remember being able to fit into the seats, now I can't anymore. If you're tall, fly Air Canada (not Rouge), you will be uncomfortable on Westjet.
RouteYYZ to YVR
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"had issues all three times"

Have flown WestJet three times and have had issues all three times. This last trip on WestJet from Phoenix to Calgary via Penticton is the last time I will fly with this airline. I must say the flight crew were very good and accommodating and the same for all the ground people in Calgary and Phoenix. Booked and paid for tickets last August and then they cancel our return flights about two weeks before departure without any word from them. Read about the cancellations in our local paper and then call our travel agent and find out we have been rebooked on a flight leaving Phoenix at 11pm arriving in Calgary at 2.30 am laying over in Calgary until 2 pm. This was unacceptable to us and had our travel agent arrange for different return flights and all that was available closest to our original schedule was return flights on Feb 18 instead of Feb 20. Lost 2 days prepaid car rental and 2 nights prepaid hotel. Thanks WestJet, never again.
RoutePHX to YYC via YYF

"my favourite airline"

I flew on a WestJet Boeing 737-800 from Calgary to Las Vegas. The service was great, and you don't have to pay for movies and TV anymore (on a 737-800, that is). Just download the WestJet app and you connect to WestJetConnect (their new wifi) and watch free movies and TV shows. Unfortunately, you have to pay to access the internet. WestJet has always been my favourite airline.
RouteYYC-LAS
Date FlownDecember 2015

"Complete lack of communication"

Complete lack of communication by WestJet employees. Calgary to Las Vegas via Edmonton, and the flight left YYC 2 hours late, meaning it would be a tight squeeze for all 10 individuals getting on the plane from YEG to LAS. I asked the flight attendant on the YYC to YEG flight if they would be able to contact YEG and ask for the flight to Vegas to be held 5 minutes so we could all get there. She told me it was "out of her control" and "not possible". I was informed that the exact opposite was the truth upon arriving at the gate in where the Vegas plane was to leave from. Long story short, we got burned and lost our money on hotel and show tickets, as well as never getting to Vegas. This flight attendant, and the individuals in Calgary (who never bothered to phone and let the YEG staff know the plane was still on its way), single handedly ruined 10 people's vacations. I don't care how cheap their fares are, I would rather pay double and fly with another airline who can manage to be on time, and actually employs people who want to do their job properly.
RouteYYC to LAS via YEG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"should be no pets allowed"

Flew WestJet Airlines from Ottawa to Orlando. The flight and attendants were great. However, I was unaware of the pets being able to fly on board with us. Flying down to Orlando was a small dog sitting on their owners lap and coming back my severe allergies kicked in as when we got off flight we realized that there had been a cat right under my seat. I truly believe for the comfort of all passengers there should be no pets allowed on board with us.
RouteYOW to MCO

"how happy we were"

We cannot begin to tell you how happy we were to discover WestJet direct flights from Toronto to Merida. For more than nine years we have been flying twice a year to Merida but until now we took Spirit Air out of Detroit. This was a flight from Detroit to Cancun with one sto over. When WestJet offered the first direct to Merida flights we were no longer required to take a four hour bus ride from Cancun to Merida. We have extremely high hopes that not only will your direct Toronto to Merida flights continue but that they will become more frequent and continue to be competitively priced. This will allow our family and friends to visit us without the complicated journey to and from Cancun to Merida. Since purchasing property here five years ago it has been very difficult to convince family members with little ones to come to Merida. This year we have already had two families come direct to Merida by WestJet and we are hoping many more in the future. One other aspect is the upcoming possibility of Canada allowing local Mexicans to be able to get the required permits to travel to Canda . When that happens our Mexican friends will be able to visit us in return.
RouteYYZ to MID

"staff typically cheerful"

I very much appreciate the convenience of the WestJet direct Vancouver flight to Santa Ana Airport (John Wayne). However Westjet needs to be aware of passengers who are bringing their larger pieces of luggage to the gate. On both legs of my trip recently, the flights were completely sold out - this is during a typical slow travel period so this direct flight is very popular. Some passengers are aware of this and do not check in their luggage to avoid the extra fees. I saw massive backpacks and certainly more than one piece of carry-on for several travellers. The airline rep then makes a preboarding announcement claiming that the overheard bin allowance is very limited and they would appreciate passengers checking in their luggage at the gate for free. This is annoying as I followed the rules (as did many others) and paid the check in fees per piece. Westjet needs to be more vigilant and monitor this. Some of the flights on this route have the tv screens, others do not. Seats are crammed in Economy and the back recliner buttons do not necessarily work - this is probably an advantage. Beverages are served in plastic glasses smaller than hotel bathroom cups, but it is nice that prior to descending, additional water is offered. For an Economy flight, 2.5 hours is tolerable and the staff is typically cheerful. The counter service at Santa Ana is very helpful.
RouteYVR to SNA

"were absolutely amazing"

We flew on WestJet on January 13th from Toronto to Cozumel. Due to weather there were problems landing. The pilot tried 3 times to land but was not successful. We then flew to Cancun and they got more fuel and then they tried again for 40 minutes but again unsuccessful because the airport was shut down. We then returned to Cancun. The pilot kept us informed the whole time which was very reassuring. They rented buses to take us to the Marriott for the night and gave us all a $60.00 food voucher. We were picked up at 11:00 a.m. the next morning and then flew us to Cozumel. We must commend WestJet for their handling of this situation they were absolutely amazing! Thank you WestJet for turning a potential bad situation into something we will treasure for a very long time.
RouteYYZ to CZM

"exceptional service"

I was on a WestJet connection from Toronto to Vancouver (origin Ottawa) on January 14th on the 10:30 am flight when I experienced exceptional service. I was in seat 1F in the Plus seating. The one member of the cabin crew for our section (Patrick) was extremely attentive and kind. I had a very bad cough that I couldn't shake and staff ensured that I had bottled water or hot tea (he even refilled my tea when I was sleeping so I had it anytime I coughed and woke!) as well as offering me cough drops (Buckley's - they taste so awful but they really work!). This cabin staff member managed to start and hold a conversation with everyone who came up, myself included. The only reason I bumped it down to a 9 is because on my origin flight we had to wait approx. 30 minutes after landing and arriving at the gate because it was broken and they couldn't fix it so we had to switch gates.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYOW to YVR via YYZ
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"crew had poor attitudes"

I normally do not complain about airlines and their service, however, after flying Westjet service Vancouver to Lihue return, I feel compelled to express my opinion on the cabin crew of both legs. Front end crew had poor attitudes on both flights. On the 1st leg the Cabin steward was extremely grumpy with any guests that stood on his carpeted area at the front of the cabin while being next in line for the bathroom, which would force these people into the other people's sitting area. This happened numerous times throughout the flight. When the front end cabin crew exchanged areas with the rear crew briefly, this was not an issue. Although having paid extra money for 4 to be seated in the "Plus" section both directions, there was apparently only one blanket on the plane, and it had just been handed out to row 8. I'm sure it wouldn't break the bank for WestJet to ensure that there is always enough blankets on the plane for people seated in Plus. When my husband asked for a glass of wine (the 1st) only 3 hours into the flight, he was told that the alcohol cutoff time was 2:30 am. How convenient it was 2:30 am! Perhaps it was an inconvenience for us to interrupt her knitting. Having flown many airlines internationally, we have never heard of such an alcohol policy. Please inform me if this does exist. Will I fly WestJet again - yes, but only on regional flights. However, never again on a flight over 2 hours, and never will I pay for a "PLUS" seating again. It's not worth $$$ for bad attitudes, poor service and amenities.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy