Spirit Airlines

"Only 1 bathroom working for 228 people"

Trip Verified | Upon entering the plane and finding my seat, the flight attendant kicked my life vest that was in a sandwich bag, under my seat. Can you imagine sitting down and looking at this thing which could possibly have to save my life in the event of an emergency? Only 1 bathroom working for 228 people, you do the math. When I contacted Spirit, they said they verified my story, which consisted of lies told by the crew! Always take pictures folks. If you value your life, don’t fly Spirit.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Baltimore
Date FlownJuly 2021

"I should have known better"

Trip Verified | Truly terrible. Like many other reviewers for Spirit Airlines, I should have known better. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $50 on a ticket for Jet Blue. I was flying to Orlando from Saint Thomas, and was supposed to transfer to Boston. The plane from Saint Thomas was "diverted" to San Juan, Puerto Rico, so they could refuel. Why they couldn't do that in Saint Thomas, I have no idea. We were joking on the plane that this is just like when you only put in a bit of fuel so you can make it to a cheaper gas station. So we were delayed in San Juan for one hour, which caused me to miss my flight to Boston. The stewardesses on the flight were reassuring me that the attendant at Orlando would be able to put me on the next available flight to Boston, even if it was with another airline. Barring that, they would at least be able to put me up in a hotel and give me dinner. Needless to say, in classic Spirit Airlines style, that did not happen. When I got to Orlando, I was told by the Spirit attendant that the refueling was due to "weather conditions", and so they would not only have to put me on the next Spirit airlines flight, which is 24 hours later, they would not put me in a hotel for the night. I spent an hour standing in the airport trying to not to lose it, and eventually came to the conclusion that I only had myself to blame for being out of my mind to ever even consider booking Spirit Airlines. I ended up paying out of my own pocket to get a hotel room and getting on the flight 24 hours the next day. I cannot recommend against flying Spirit airlines more. Every single flight I've ever had with Spirit has had some problem associated with it (cancelled flights, missing layovers, etc.). Truly the worst airline in America. Trust me, the $30 you save instead of booking United or America is NOT worth it. You will most likely spend more trying to compensate for Spirit Airline's terrible policies and general inadequacies. I would give this airline negative stars if possible. I am giving the flight attendants 3 stars because even though they were misinformed about their own airline's policies, I would be surprised if the company was at fault for not communicating to them correctly.
RouteSaint Thomas to Orlando via Boston
Date FlownJuly 2021

"50 people in line and 1 agent assisting"

Not Verified | Trying to buy a ticket at Ft Lauderdale airport with 50 people in line and 1 agent assisting. The agent wasn't the problem as Spirit employees are constantly walking by and we ask several to please have a supervisor come out. Employees said time after time a supervisor will be coming out and after 90 minutes when I made it to the counter, no supervisor ever emerged.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Miami
Date FlownAugust 2020

"I should have known better"

Trip Verified | I should have known better. Flight delayed by 8 hours. Rude staff(specifically referring to Houston ground crew). App and flight board information are not the same. Big front/first class seats were hard and uncomfortable. App never allowed me to check in on line. Spirit is what it is; take it or leave it I will leave it and never book again
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteHouston to Cartagena via Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Spirit has taken no responsibility"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. I was part of flight 760 from Las Vegas to Newark on Friday, July 16. It was supposed to leave at 10.30pm but because of lack of personnel, we were pushed to 1.30am, 7/17/21, then it was changed to 6.00 am on 7/17/21 and then 7am and then 7.30am. Half an hour before arriving to Newark, we had to land in another airport because of lack of fuel since there was a weather problem. We landed in Philadelphia, PA at almost 4pm. They made us get our baggage in baggage 4. Then, nothing was told to us and the police was involved. I understand that your company cannot foresee the weather but if you have had personnel, then we would have gotten there at 6am, as planned, and the weather wouldn’t have been bad in the morning. Spirit has taken no responsibility. I want a full refund, including taxes and my baggage fee. This is the minimum you all can do. I could ask for more, and I should but at this point I’m over it. I want my money back, I should change you for the time your company has made me lose.
RouteLas Vegas to Newark
Date FlownJuly 2021

"We stood in line for over 2 hours"

Trip Verified | Got an email stating the flight was canceled 3 hours before the time. We stood in line for over 2 hours to get a flight for two days later. They will not reimburse us for the 2 night hotel room stay or transportation fees. We are stuck in Fajardo (nothing available close to the airport) in a cheap hotel with no rental car. We had to extend airport parking and call out of work until we can make it back to the mainland. We got nothing but a we're sorry for your delay. Never flying with Spirit again.
RouteSan Juan to Orlando
Date FlownJuly 2021

"very bad and rude service"

Not Verified | The worst thing that could happen to me. Flight was delayed, missed my connection flight and they still charged me $99 to rebook for another flight 6 hours later! The agents at the counter had no customer service skills, very inconsiderate with my situation. At the end, I paid more than the other airlines options for a very bad and rude service.
RouteSantiago to Fort Lauderdale via Houston
Date FlownJuly 2021

"not be using this airline again"

Trip Verified | Worst Airline ever! My Flight got Delayed and because of it I ended up missing a connecting flight. I did not receive an automatic update and had to walk around from gate to gate like an idiot because no one knew what to do. I tried calling customer service several times and had to wait for half an hour each time before the call automatically ended. I finally stumbled on someone who told me to go to customer service. Waiting in the line took hours. Mind you my Flight landed at 9pm. I didn’t receive help until 12. I was told I could be accommodated with a place to stay but that was also a joke being that the book the next flight for 6am and all the hotel was over 30mins away. I ended up sleeping in the airport without any blankets, shivering the whole night. Will definitely not be using this airline again and you shouldn’t either. So not worth it.
RouteColumbus to Atlanta via Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownJuly 2021

"This airline is not worth it"

Trip Verified | On July, 17th 2021, the cancelled my 8am flight for 6 people at 4:00am. After discussing the disappointment with several people, I was able to rebook for 7:35. However, there 3:03 flight from BWI to Myrtle Beach was still sitting on the Tarmac at 7:35. Several passengers came of the flight cursing and fussing and demanding their money back. Then it turned into an all out verbal war between current passengers, future passengers and the airline when they stated that the flight to San Juan would be delayed another 5 hours until 12:30am in the morning. This would make almost 24 hours my family would’ve been waiting in the airport. On top of this they didn’t have any wheelchair assistants available and the refused to honor our military status to check luggage for free. This airline is not worth it. This is not at all worth the small amount of money you save. They are cheap for a reason.
RouteBaltimore to San Juan
Date FlownJuly 2021

"changed/delayed our flight time 3 times"

Not Verified | I had a flight booked from MCO - PHL and on the way to the airport, Spirit sent an email to see if we wanted to give up our seats for our money back. That was a sign! We decided not too, so while waiting at the airport, Spirit changed/delayed our flight time 3 times! After checking one last time it said that our flight time was changed back to the normal time. When walking to the new gate, our flight was completely gone from the list of flights on the board and when we checked our emails, we got an email saying that our flight had been canceled. Trying to get help and service from them was a disaster! They did not want too give vouchers for food or for a hotel and they tried to book us a new flight, but not for another 5 days without even asking us! Thankfully, they issued our refund but we had to pay for our own hotel! While talking to other people in the line for our refund, they told us that Spirit did this to them days prior and then tried to blame it on the weather.
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia