Spirit Airlines

"delay right before boarding"

Not Verified | Atlanta to Dallas. They update on our delay right before boarding time. Why can’t they update earlier? Told myself not to use this airline so many times, I guess need to stop using it anymore really. So many delays and cancelled flights. Hopefully not going to cancel this one tonight.
RouteAtlanta to Dallas
Date FlownMay 2019

"all tell you something different"

Trip Verified | This is the worst company to deal with. We booked flights and then had an unfortunate death in the family. They instructed us to get a death certificate so they could process a refund. I spent 2 hours and 17 minutes only to be told No. we followed all the steps and was told No because they couldn’t process it. Not an ethical company! You can speak to 3 different people and they will all tell you something different. DO not use this unethical airline. I’m so frustrated.
RouteAtlanta to Dallas
Date FlownMay 2019

"People should research airline policy"

Not Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Columbus. People should fully research airline policy when flying for the first time. If you had you could have avoided 90% of your frustration. This is a no frills airline. I personally think the business model will be successful and works well if the customer knows what to expect. I have flown twice within the last six months and was a little suspect because of the low fares, but was pleasantly surprised. customer service was good, very smooth flight etc. Seats a little close together, but adequate. If you need free snacks, pillows, blankets, wi-fi you may need to travel with another airline. But if you need to watch your pennies like I do and don't mind a no frills bus ride in the sky this could be for you. We are planning another trip soon and will check Spirit first.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Columbus
Date FlownApril 2019

"$145 cancellation fee"

Trip Verified | Denver to Detroit. My flight was scheduled for almost 3 months from today (selecting that date wasnt an option). I called to cancel today. My flight was only $186 and they wanted to charge me a $145 cancellation fee. So, I asked how much to just change that date, she said $170 to change my date. I said that was ridiculous as it's almost double what I paid. She tells me that even if I cancel, I dont get any money back. The 40 something left would be applied as a credit. I explained to her that I was hanging up now, cancel my reservation and if their company needed money that bad they can just keep it.
RouteDenver to Detroit
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Baltimore. Worst customer service I’ve ever had! This is the third time out of six redeye flights from Las Vegas to Baltimore that the crew acts like I’m a hindrance if I don’t want to fall asleep right when the plane takes off. When I asked for a cup of coffee or an alcoholic drink they act like I’m not allowed and I should be sleeping because of the rest of the plan. My service on a redeye should not be any different from my service on any other time during the day, especially when I have to show up and go straight to work. Some veterans at spirit understand and have good energy, but one woman in particular I have seen numerous times on my flights as a blonde who is now pregnant and gives attitude every single time. This is very poor advertising for your company and we shouldn’t allow people with bad attitudes to handle customers in the hospitality Environment
RouteLas Vegas to Baltimore

"the worst flight ever"

Trip Verified | Columbus to Las Vegas. This was the worst flight ever. Price for and over stuffed plane. This is the worst. They broke the tow bar and might have damaged the plane so we are not taking off in time and they never offered anything to drink for the inconvenience. I wish this flight would have been better there is no type of entertainment and you get a stuffed airplane and you hear every one having conversation this will not happen to me again. I will not fly this airplane again
RouteColumbus to Las Vegas

"prices are incredible"

Trip Verified | Spirit Airlines prices are incredible. I'm usually able to put my bag under the seat at no charge. When I do need a larger bag, I check it since that's the cheapest. Here's the negative I've read : Pay for baggage - yes but you have to pay for bags on every airline except southwest. 2. Pay for drinks - yes but drinks cost the same if you buy it in the terminal. Pay $10 to print boarding pass at gate - I've never had to have my boarding pass printed at the gate or at check in. Leg room I don't find much different from other airlines. I recently read that spirit is adding wifi. Because of the cheap fare, I can survive without wifi. The seats don't recline but neither do they on other airlines - I wouldn't call my seat going back an inch reclining When I know I'm going to be flying, I just keep watching the fares. As a $9 Club Member, I've flown four times in the last six months for less than $50 round trip! Even if I purchased a bag and seats towards the front, my total would be around $150 which is still cheaper than most airlines.
RouteDallas to Denver
Date FlownMay 2019

"terrible and so uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Dallas DFW to Phoenix. This was my first, and probably only flight, I've ever taken with Spirit. Everything started off well, on time flight, easy check in, things going great. The workers for Spirit were kind and welcoming. Boarded the plane, and I had the window seat. 2 people were in the others, so i asked them to move so I could get to it quickly - nothing out of the ordinary. There was a woman in the aisle and a man in the middle. The woman stood up and instead of the man standing or scooting, he sat on his seat which caused me to bump past him. Weird, but oh well. Throughout the next 2.5 hours, the couple took off their shoes - the woman her socks off as well. They were bumping into me while they rubbed each other's arms and legs. The woman was shaking the seats so much that I was being bounced around. She would bang her head on the person in front of her's seat and her hands on the tray table. Just very rude. They didn't wear seatbelts and the whole ordeal made me feel so uncomfortable. Especially when the woman put her feet ON the man's tray table and had him give her a massage. Keep in mind they were probably late 30's, early 40's, and I am in my early 20's. Overall, the experience was terrible and so uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get off.
RouteDallas DFW to Phoenix

"turned out a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Columbus. This is my first time ever flying and the experience what I thought would be exciting turned out to be a nightmare! Problem after problem I would never recommend this airline to anyone. If you don't plan on spending extra money that wasn't in your plans this is not the airline to go with if you want notification of any changes to your flight this is not the airline this is not the airline to go with. Money and inconvenience is what this airline is about. To sum it all up spirit airlines is a mess and I will never fly with them again.
RouteOrlando to Columbus

"go with anybody else"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Ft Lauderdale. Spirit Airlines is the worst airline, they didn't have a flight attendant show up. It absolutely wrecked my plans and cost me a ton of money. Never book Spirit Airlines, go with anybody else instead.
RouteAtlanta to Ft Lauderdale

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]