Spirit Airlines

"Absolute worst airline"

Trip Verified | Chicago to San Diego. Absolute worst airline to fly with! I had a flight scheduled to leave from Chicago to San Diego and it was cancelled just hours before departure without any option to get another. When I called to get another flight or some type of solution the customer service was terrible, careless, and unreliable. Thankfully United airlines came to the rescue and I was able to get to San Diego. But my flight back home to Chicago from San Diego (which was also booked months in advanced) had a delay without a notice. I will never fly with airline again. They do not care about their customers, only money.
RouteChicago to San Diego

"careless and unorganized"

Trip Verified | St Thomas to Ft Lauderdale. They lost my bag which was right near my husbands bag. They also tagged my husbands bag with my name, and tagged my bag with his name. Very careless and unorganized.
RouteSt Thomas to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"my worst flight experience"

Not Verified | This has been hands down my worst flight experience ever. I’m an experienced traveler and I decided to book Spirit because currently low on money and Spirit wasn’t horrible for me I’m the past. After this flight I will never be taking it again. Our flight was delayed 2 hours. We were told an hour before we were suppose to take off. When we finally do land our luggage does not come out for over an hour. I was not able to get any compensation on my flight even though I paid the 20$ for it.
RouteFort Myers to Philadelphia
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"charge you if you miss your flight"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Tampa. This was my first time flying with spirit and definitely my last. They charge you if you miss your flight, they charge you for water, they charge for small bags. Do not fly with spirit unless you want your pockets to hurt and want no leg room on the plane.
RouteNew Orleans to Tampa
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"charged $55 for a carry on"

Trip Verified | Ft. Lauderdale to Newark. I paid for my brother flight ticket for Spirit and I saw that it was $315 for this flight, and other airlines where like $350-$450. I saw that the Spirit Airlines price was the cheapest. That wasn’t the case. When he got to the terminal they charged $55 for a standard carry on. I basically paid $370 for this flight. I felt like they tricked me.
RouteFt. Lauderdale to Newark

"the worst airline"

Not Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Richmond. This is the worst airline. This is the 2nd time we’ve had to fly Spirit and it’s always issues. This time we found out that the flight would be delayed 30 mins, but gate was changed, so we had to walk half way thru airport to wait, we got there only to find out there was a 2nd delay, plus the gate changed back to the original gate! Walk all the way back. Definitely will never fly Spirit. Adding insult to injury is that customer service doesn’t even have the courtesy to explain what were the delays!
RouteFt Lauderdale to Richmond
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"in the end you'll end up paying more"

Not Verified | Boston to Atlanta. Cheap tickets doesn't mean you can cheat customers with delays and cancellations. Sometimes it's understandable that flights may get cancelled but for spirit airlines this happens again and again. This is the second time my flight got cancelled and I have to return home with my family. Please do yourself a favor and never ever book this airline. Don't get lured with saving few bucks, think wise and choose better airlines. Trust me in the end you'll end up paying more.
RouteBoston to Atlanta

"Worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Atlanta to Punta Cana via Fort Lauderdale. Worst airline ever. Not did they not do anything about the annoyingly drunk people right behind me after several complaints from other passengers around, I also arrived without my luggage. For days no response about it, if it got found, where I can pick it up, nothing. I finally got it today, dirty and damaged. Well thanks for nothing spirit! The money safed in compare to other airlines I wasted on taxis to the airport, phone calls and replacements for the first few days as well as a new bag. Definitely CANNOT recommend Spirit airlines! Not talking about the service at the office when I picked up my bag... PS: 1 star because they wont let me give 0
RouteAtlanta to Punta Cana via Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"satisfied with the flight and price"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Newark. Check-in online was very routine. Checking the bag online and printing the tag was also routine. Since my wife and I were assigned random seats, my wife asked the receptionist if she could seat us together. We were assigned seats together even though the flight was sold out. There was a one-hour departure delay, which had something to do with high winds in Newark. The rest of the flight was pleasant and uneventful. We knew that this was a no-frills flight, so we did not expect any. I was satisfied with the flight and the price
RouteFt Lauderdale to Newark

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Columbus to Tampa. I was flying home from Ohio after having two funerals for two different family members. I booked with spirit because of the price and time of flights, due to everything being last minute. During the flight my wallet dropped out of my purse. Once I realized this, I visited the Spirit desk where the lady printed two (I had my young daughter with me) gate passes to go back to the gate and retrieve the wallet. We had someone picking us up from the airport and had already received our luggage from the flight. We had to call our ride to put them on hold and go back through security with suitcases that weren’t carry-on size. They had been checked baggage. TSA yelled at us several times and said that a spirit rep should have brought the wallet down. By this time, my young daughter is sobbing and I was ready to cry myself. Thankfully TSA helped us get through and we were able to retrieve the wallet. Retrieving the wallet was another obstacle as the Spirit worker never confirmed what gate the wallet was at and no one seemed to know what we were talking about when we arrived to the gate. Horrible customer service and experience. I will not choose spirit for any future flights and I will encourage others to avoid this airline at all cost.
RouteColumbus to Tampa

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]