Spirit Airlines

"I will never fly Spirit again"

Not Verified | Scam airline with deceptive pricing and practices. Purchased 4 seats for two adults and two children. Flew from Orlando to Kansas City with no problem. When we arrived at the airport in Kansas City to fly home the lady at the counter was very rude because apparently they close the counter an hour before the flight leaves and we were unaware. She then proceeded to tell us we had to pay for the two child car seats that are supposed to be free as outlined on their site. She proceeded to tell us that we could pay $158 or miss our flight and said we had 2 min before the computers switched to the next flight. I can only assume they get paid a commission for adding costs to already paid for flights. I will never fly Spirit again. Never.
RouteKansas City to Orlando
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"deceptive in its pricing"

Trip Verified | Spirit is deceptive in its pricing. Flew first leg via Alaska airlines and it was the expected $30.00 to check a bag with free carryon. Bag limit was 50 pounds. Coming home on Spirit they charge$ 75 per checked bag and $75 for a carry on. Our checked bag was 4 pounds over so yhey charged an additional $69 for the additional 4 pounds. Total of an additional $279 for bags one way. More than the total airline ticket. Very deceptive practice. Never flying spirit again. Beware of the false advertising of low fares.
RouteLas Vegas to Boise
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"dissatisfied with this airline"

Not Verified | Flew out to Puerto Rico and everything was fine. On the other hand the flight back I ran into some issues. I purchased a check on bag when processing my flight back. The check on bag did not go through so I had to stand in line for customer service. Once I did that I had to go back to check on bag to get it scanned. After that I stood back in line to check my bag onto the airline. With the amount of time it took they said I can no longer book my flight even though there were 45 minutes left for me to board. They said I did not have time to get on my flight when there was not a single person standing in the customs line. Also, my flight was the first gate after going through customs. After all the issues I had to pay an additional $100 for me to board the next flight which did not leave for another 2 days and I had to stay in Puerto Rico. I have emailed customer service to get some assistance with this and they first responded back in September and I keep reaching out and no one has said anything back with my concerns. At this point I will never book another flight with Spirit Airlines. The response rate and the attentiveness to customers with issues has not been addressed. I have heard multiple people complain about spirit airlines and previously I have not had any issues until now. I am dissatisfied with this airline and I would not recommend it to anyone.
RouteBaltimore to Puerto Rico
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"experience was an absolute nightmare"

Not Verified | I needed help from spirit airlines customer service. After waiting 10 minutes for a live person to take my call, I explained I needed help paying, before my flight, for one checked bag through the entire outbound flight as well as for the return. Oh boy, the lady at customer service started to read a script, in very poor English, to sell me all kind of stuff that I was not interested in at all, instead of helping me out as a customer to resolve my specific issue. I got no resolution whatsoever. My customer experience was an absolute nightmare. This is my first time flying with spirit airlines and it will certainly be the last. Spirit, never again.
RouteCharlotte to Bogota via Orlando
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"Never will I fly with Spirit again"

Not Verified | We sat in the plane for 3 1/2 hours at the gate trying to get the engines started. Only once during the ordeal did they come through the cabin to give travelers one small cup of water. Everything else was offered at full price. Finally they announced for everyone to get off the plane and take their belongings. The gate was chaos with no communication about what was going on and the passengers were going all over the terminal not knowing what was going on. Complete confusion and the employees at the gate were saying nothing. We eventually found another airline to get us to our final destination but it cost us 3 x the original price charged by Spirit. We got to our destination 10 hours late. I tried to get ahold of customer service to get a ticket refund but only got an email stating they would not refund us the original ticket price nor reimburse us for the secondary airline who actually flew us. We got coupons for $100 per person for our next Spirit flight. They refused to call and the emails were very slow in coming and ended up giving us nothing. Never will I fly with Spirit again!
RouteLos Angeles to Dallas
Date FlownDecember 2022

"I will never fly Spirit again"

Trip Verified | First time flying with Spirit because I thought the tickets were cheap. That is until they charge you all the additional fees. My flight out was delayed by 8 hours and am currently being delayed on my flight back with a minimum 2 hour delay so far. Customer service is hard to deal with, and with all the delays a minimal discount was offered on future flights within 2 months. Needless to say I will never fly Spirit again.
RouteOrlando to Milwaukee
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"more expensive than other airlines"

Trip Verified | Paid for a $69 for a carry on at reservation. Get to the airport and have to pay another $99 for a carry on. $170 for a carry on that is stored above the seats is ridiculous. Spirit is by far more expensive than other airlines. Do your homework. Second time flying with spirit and will be the last. First time the flight attendants were very rude the whole trip yelling at people with a 4 year old. My fault for trying Spirit again. Lesson learned. Tickets may be slightly cheaper but in the end you could get 2 tickets from another airline for less than 1 flight with Spirit.
RoutePittsburgh to Fort Myers
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"departed roughly 120 minutes late"

Trip Verified | Previous plane was running 60+ minutes late. Spirit called our plane 30 minutes late. We departed roughly 120 minutes late. "They are loading bags at the moment, e will be ready to leave soon" What? Crazy. Furthermore, while the flight is going to Orlando, the gate monitors had it listed as going to Newark. Laziness or malfunctioning system. Even as we boarded.
RoutePittsburgh to Atlanta
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"customer support is horrible"

Not Verified | They cancelled my flight rebooked my connection flight which then got delayed to a layover of over 5 hours. I was in between airports from 3pm feb 1st till 11am feb 2nd and the airline refused to give me a hotel or food voucher because it was a cancelation and delay due to weather. Instead I got a travel voucher of 50 dollars for my next booking. I refuse to fly spirit again after they failed to resolve my problem which was the sleep deprivation and hunger. Seriously not even a complimentary snack on the flight. I refuse to give that airline any more of my money. Its not the airlines fault there was bad weather its also not my fault that they cancelled my flight when I was already at the airport, they rebooked me on a flight that got delayed, and the connection flight of that rebooking was over 6 hours later. Give me at least a food voucher for my troubles. The customer support is horrible, 2h waiting queues, the customer support number sends you in circles, the automated chat is frustrating and the customer representatives at the gate just kept saying: in an hour, in an hour, in an hour well we left 6 hours later so I guess they were right by the 5th time. Most stressful, infuriating and just straight up unnecessary experience I have ever had the displeasure of having with an airline. Also there is no entertainment unless you pay extra for internet, at least Delta and AAA have TV. Also don't bother complaining to anyone, no one will help you. I give them 1 star because its the lowest you can give but they deserve a category in the negatives.
RouteAustin to San Juan via Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2023

"What an absolute joke of an airline"

Trip Verified | What an absolute joke of an airline. Please please save your money - it is not worth it! We missed our flight because the gate attendings did not call for our zone. So far it has added an additional 48 hours to this trip and we have completely missed our conference. There were five of us waiting outside the gate waiting for our boarding zone to be called - it never was. When I called Spirit to change our flight - they guaranteed we would be on a new connecting flight. That also never happened. Terrible company, terrible employees, terribly rude. Fly anywhere else!
RouteDetroit to Dallas Fort-Worth