Spirit Airlines

"Worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Hartford. Worst airline ever for both service and cost. Not even a glass of water is free on these economy flights. Not worth the savings in flight cost for the discomfort of the seats which, by the way, has the smallest tray tables ever seen. Additionally, every other airline I’ve used permitted a standard carry-on. Not this one. They make up the charges for each ticket by charging for a standard carry-on; and if you checked in online you’re suckered for the cost of that standard size bag. $65 at the gate. And forget the $9 Fare club. A bigger rip off. Before you purchase,see where they travel. It’s extremely limited. I’m committed not to using this airline again.
RouteOrlando to Hartford
Date FlownNovember 2018

"my first and last time"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay. Booking with Spirit Airline was my first and last time! I paid 580.00 for a round trip ticket and drove 8 hours to catch the cheap flight. Only to end up spending over 200.00 to check baggage. Forget snacks and drinks because it cost extra as well.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Montego Bay

"multiple hidden fees"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Tampa. First and last time flying Spirit Airlines. Total rip off with multiple hidden fees. Around $3 for m and m’s on the plane. Super small seats. This is not the cheapest airline after you factor in hidden cost.
RouteBaltimore to Tampa
Date FlownNovember 2018

"lack of notice and honesty"

Not Verified | Las Vegas to Seattle. I didn’t mind the individual charges for bags, seat selection, in-flight drinks/snacks, and pretty much every other service that is normally bundled in the mainstream airlines’ ticket prices. Bringing the cost of the ticket to within $100 of the larger airlines for the same flight. What I did mind was the lack of notice and honesty when our flight was delayed. Their consolation was a $50 voucher, which was not offered and had to be asked or threatened for. Basically $50 to get kicked in the nuts again in the future. Thanks. Next time I’ll just spend a little more for less aggravation.
RouteLas Vegas to Seattle
Date FlownOctober 2018

"charged 3 different times"

Trip Verified | Houston to Chicago. While in flight I ordered a coke (Because Spirit doesn't give you a complimentary drink) Since that flight I was charged 3 different times for different beverages some more than one drink per charge. When I called Spirit about it they apologized but said they use an outside party and we should cancel our card through our bank. Excuse me? I didn't authorize/trust an outside company to use my card I authorized Spirit to use my card and I expect if a problem arises that Spirit stand behind its actions. Never flying Spirit again.
RouteHouston to Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Do not fly this airline"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Ft Lauderdale. Do not fly this airline. I can't stress that enough. They are most assuredly "gangsters" of the air. Usually when a person is being spirited away, it means something bad is happening. Not only do they charge you for everything, I believe their prices are higher than better reputable airlines because of this. Their customer service needs to be improved. I just want to know what happened to the consumer protection agency? When all airlines are allowed to take your hard earned money, can use any excuse they want to not allow you to board the plane or remove you from a plane and then keep your money.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Ft Lauderdale

"Canceled our flight"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Montego Bay via Ft Lauderdale. Worst airline ever. Avoid at all costs. Canceled our flight and did not notify us. Showed up to the airport and spent 4 hours trying to figure it out. Would not book us on another airline. Scheduled us another flight for following day costing us hundreds of dollars on our vacation. Worst experience.
RouteDetroit to Montego Bay via Ft Lauderdale

"Disgusting experience"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Detroit. Avoid this airline like the plague. Once they finally cancelled my flight after 9 hours of delays for a mechanical problem, they put me in a hotel that was roach infested. Disgusting experience all around.
RouteAtlanta to Detroit
Date FlownNovember 2018

"seats are extremely tight"

Not Verified | First off, wasn't thrilled about having to check in through a kiosk machine and paying $50 for a suitcase, but flying from Oakland to Las Vegas at least the person behind the check-in counter was at least kind enough to help us out when we had questions regarding using the self serve machine. Not so much coming from Las Vegas to Oakland the person behind the counter would not answer any questions would not do anything kept quoting the fact that is it a it is a self interactive kiosk to do your own check-in otherwise he needed to charge us $10 a person for any help. He would not even answer a single question was so rude. $50 each way for a 1 checked bag each way is very expensive, so maybe the flight being cheaper does not really matter because you're paying a lot more with a suitcase. Also, the legroom and seats are extremely tight - never will use this airline again.
RouteOakland to Las Vegas

"Never use this company"

Trip Verified | Horrible airline, horrible service, not cheap. Me and my wife and two children got tricked from a third party ticket, saying that we could bring carry ons. And I’m sure they are in cahoots. You can’t, and they charge 50$ per person per bag per way. So a simple trip from Hartford to Orlando cost us 680$ instead of $380 we were expecting, Then after paying all that extra for the bags, when we got there our bags are all damaged. They were previously brand new. We called when we got back because we were tired and were told it was too late to do anything about. Because 4 hours passed. Never use this company.
RouteHartford to Orlando

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]