Spirit Airlines

"depend on subterfuge and lies"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to LaGuardia. I booked through a third party and had to then pay a carry on fee at the airport which was not specified at the time of booking. This led to the unwelcome surprise or having to pay an additional 40$. Mind you, this was not mentioned on my first leg (LGA-FLL) otherwise I would have had to pay that leg too. When I then looked at the departure time screens the flight was delayed by two hours. This was later wordlessly rescinded and my flight times were magically returned to their original times, leading me to have to hurry through security. Lastly, this was a rebooked flight after my initial flight in August was canceled. For this rebooking I was forced to pay a fee of $180 which I was told to contest (and escalate to a manager on advice or a Spirit employee!!). I understand the business of LCCs is to charge extra on several factors, but this company seems to depend on subterfuge and lies in order to make a buck.
RouteFort Lauderdale to LaGuardia
Date FlownNovember 2019

"act like it's no big deal"

Not Verified | Orlando to Detroit. My mom was on flight 804 from Orlando, Florida today and it was a complete disaster while traveling alone on Spirit. She needs her walker to walk and they lost her walker and they act like it's no big deal. She arrived at the gate for the flight sat there 2.5 hours in advance. The gate agents boarded the flight and never rolled her on to the flight so she had to use her walker to go on the flight so tell me how do you lose it? She gets off the flight and walker was nowhere to be found. This is a major problem because she needs to walk with it.
RouteOrlando to Detroit
Date FlownNovember 2019

"seemed to show some concern"

Trip Verified | Montego Bay to Ft Lauderdale. My 85-year-old mother was injured after a fellow passenger dropped a piece of luggage from the overhead bin on her at FLL after landing. Although she sustained injuries to her head and chest, no airport security or medical staff were called on-board to take a report or check her out. She had to walk off the plane under her own power and then be placed in a wheelchair. Meantime, the man that dropped the luggage was allowed to leave the plane without any questioning, obtaining any information, name, etc. Spirit airline employees seemed at a loss as to what should be done, even after we requested that medical and security personnel be brought on board to check her out and investigate. Although Spirit employees seemed to show some concern, they seemed more interested in keeping the incident quiet and even had my mother move to the rear of the plane to help keep this private. Spirit employees should at least have basic training in dealing with something like this, but it appears they do not.
RouteMontego Bay to Ft Lauderdale

"Unsafe, unruly flight"

Trip Verified | Kansas City to Orlando. The people on our flight were young partiers. They were partying in the aisle, refusing to put on their seatbelts, and were generally loud and obnoxious. Besides that, they were seated in the emergency exit row! The flight attendants did not attempt to redirect them or make them comply with any requests. At one point, one of the people started smoking an e-cig! When I pushed the button for help, I got chastised on the loud speaker. The attendant did come back and say to them, “you know I have my eye on you. Do the right thing,” but they continued their poor and unsafe behavior for the remainder of the flight. I taped their conduct and later showed the attendants. They said, can you believe that?” but the partiers and smoker were able to deplane and continue on their journey with no further conversation nor intervention. Unsafe, unruly flight- not worth the discount!
RouteKansas City to Orlando

"Worst of the worst"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Jacksonville. Worst of the worst which you may not realize unless/until you have a problem, one you can walk away from, I mean. They charge extra even for water, not to mention any kind of carry-on bag bigger than a purse--and then an extra fee for the airport agent to put the tag on your bag, also extra for the right to pick the seat you're buying (and none of them reclines at all), and a hefty fee for the opportunity to change your flight once only. Forget communicating with their underpaid and overworked staff. I waited on hold more than an hour twice, then tried to chat but was told: "go on about your day, we'll get back to you when we can." Then, I even drove to the airport to make the one change I paid for and to implement the change, they insisted on charging me double for a seat I'd already paid for. The airport staff claimed they had no authority to do anything else and the "customer service" crew (online, of course) said they couldn't refund the doublecharge because it was "not consistent with our management's guidelines." Spirit may be faster than a bus but unless you're truly desperate, avoid this airline!
RouteDetroit to Jacksonville
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Terrible! Worst ever! Looters!"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Richmond via Orlando with Spirit Airlines. Terrible! Worst ever! Looters! First time and last time. I understand airlines want to make money but advertising on third party and allowing us to book on third party without letting us know the total price for check in is ridiculous. Two flights one check in bag is $100. $50 for the entire check in was okay but $100 absolutely not acceptable. Don’t advertise on third party if you cannot provide the details correctly. Seats worthless, service and kiosks worthless. I don’t think we need an airlines which charges mindlessly.
RouteAtlanta to Richmond via Orlando
Date FlownNovember 2019

"feel that Spirit have robbed me"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Nashville. This would be my first time flying with Spirit Airlines and this will be the last time as well. The Spirit terminal in Nashville is pretty decent and very polite. No problems out of them what so ever, but the Fort Lauderdale location! I can't believe how they treated me and my business partner. The same carry on bags we brought from Nashville which they didn't charge us for but in Fort Lauderdale, they want to charge you for a carry on and if it's too heavy they charge you again $40 extra. I feel that Spirit Airlines have robbed me and my business partner.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Nashville
Date FlownNovember 2019

"rude and very unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Baltimore via Boston. This airline is a complete rip-off. First-time customer my first experience completely turned off from being a continued customer. Staff is rude and very unprofessional. Not dressed in proper uniform. Customer service is awful. I was charge $65 for a carry on bag under the required measured size. I was not charged for when flown in on the flight to the destination. Now I’m being charged for my return home. Seats are uncomfortable. Unorganized. Dirty airplane found gum stuck to my seat. Paid extra for shortcut security line $7.00, had to wait in a longer line. Paid extra $5.99 for shortcut boarding still had to wait for zone 3. I expect a full refund for the service I paid for but did not receive. On top of the huge inconvenience and now horrible experience.
RouteCancun to Baltimore via Boston
Date FlownNovember 2019

"waste of my money and time"

Trip Verified | I spent $261.00 for my flight to be delayed for 3.5 hours. I was suppose to leave at 5:58pm and didn't leave until 9:10pm. We ended up boarding twice. And still had to still on the plane for and hour and a half. The staff did not inform or accommodate us while on the flight. They thought that playing music was ok. And not attended to the customers. We did not land until 11:30pm. When we was suppose to be there at 8pm. This was a waste of my money and time.
RouteOrlando to Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2019

"would never fly Spirit again"

Not Verified | Pittsburgh to Orlando. I would never fly Spirit again, I don't care how cheap it is. Service is terrible, too many hidden charges. They charge for baggage and seats. I booked 2 tickets together and they separated me and my husband seats. This really pushed me over the edge and ruin the start of my vacation. Dont fly with them, customers satisfaction is not a priority.
RoutePittsburgh to Orlando

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]