Spirit Airlines

"Nothing good to say"

Trip Verified | Atlantic City to Orlando. Nothing good to say. The staff at Atlantic city actually caused us to miss our flight. Our trip was ruined, our added expenses to reach our destination exceeded $200 and Spirit feels that they are going above and beyond by offering a $50 pp voucher to be used on a future flight. Well that's useless because my family will never trust Spirit to get us to our destination again!!
RouteAtlantic City to Orlando
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"One of the worst airlines"

Not Verified | Latrobe to Orlando. One of the worst airlines I have ever flown. They decided to cancel my business trip flight at 4 in the morning, leaving me to scramble for another flight, which as you all know, cost a pretty penny. Their customer service has always been extremely rude, and their flights have always been the most uncomfortable and shaky. I know people say this all the time, but with Spirit airlines you really get what you pay for. Maybe even less.
RouteLatrobe to Orlando
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"no bag is included"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Los Angeles via Ft Lauderdale / Atlanta. Horrible airline. Do not fly them. Seats that don't recline. Like a rod in your back. They treat you with indifference (at best) or spite or malice. The price you're seeing is at least $55 lower than the price you'll pay since no bag is included. And, if the ticketing agent made a mistake, like they did with me, they'll charge you $55 again. And then they won't even consider refunding this. The line at "Customer Service" was long and full of unhappy faces. You'll spend hours on the phone if you try to call. They ignore you at all costs. It's all about scamming you – taking you for every sent you're worth and giving you nothing in return.
RouteSan Jose to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"worst company I've flown"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Boston. The worst company I've ever flown. I paid for a seat and found it occupied. When I looked for a commissary, I was treated stupidly. She told me to go and claim my money back. A very unpleasant situation. I was tired and there was no sleep at night so I paid for the seat. I would not recommend this to anyone. They treat customers stupidly.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Boston

"first and last time"

Trip Verified | It is the first and last time I will fly Spirit Airlines. My friend recommended that I should try them as I was looking to fly to FLL to attend a wedding. As I am very organized and don’t like any surprises when traveling, I registered online for my flight. This is what you need to know when you are flying with Spirit. 1) You pay for carry on and checked bags. 2) Carry on cost more than checked bags. 3) You pay for selecting your seat online. 4) You pay more to check your bag at the counter than online. 5) If you paid online for carry on and they will not accept it, you will have to pay the counter fee which is higher. Make sure you are very familiar with Spirit Airlines luggage rules, carry on and checked bad size and weights, these are there to get you. I paid for checked bag and seats in advance and they changed my carry on to checked bag in which I ended up paying $960.74 for round trip between EWR and FLL. This gets better as they lost our luggage and delivered one the following morning and the other never showed up. It was my wife's bag and you women that read this review can only imagine what was there especially when you travel to attend a wedding. I filed a claim with Spirit by mail (there is no phone number to reach them unless they email you and then you have someone to communicate with). The best part is that they denied my claim on the basis that “their investigation online” found that one of the items I submitted was returned. I am very surprised that they did not give me any information on the receipt they are referring to and I can assure you that it was replaced with a more expensive item knowing my wife. Flying used to be fun, not any more with companies like Spirit on the market.
RouteNewark to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownNovember 2018

"late to request a refund"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Orlando via Baltimore booked for March 2019. Customer service had a chance to make me a loyal patron. Instead, I'll never give them another cent. Booked a flight for a conference, and I found out I needed to cancel roughly 36 hours after booking. Spirit offers a refund within 24 hours. Keep in mind I am giving about 4 months of advance notice. I contacted with a detailed explanation, asking for a human to talk with and was met with 3 automated messages. I was even asked to write a review of customer service before getting any automated response-that's how slow they were in replying. When a "real person" finally responded, they were un-empathetic, and reworded what was already said in the automated emails. In sum, I have a ticket I will not use, and the "best" they can do is offer a $50 credit for another Spirit flight. I would have even appreciated a credit for the value of the ticket (without fees), but because I was a half-day late to request a refund for a flight 4 months away, all I get is unhelpful automated responses and a credit offer worth a fraction of my ticket price. I've had similar scenarios with Delta, and even other cheap airlines like Allegiant, and never had an issue with customer service working with me to reach a reasonable solution that acknowledges me as a valued customer. Spirit offers many flights that appeal to me to destinations I frequent, but thanks to their customer service, I'll be opting for a company that doesn't treat me like a piece of garbage.
RouteDetroit to Orlando via Baltimore
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Don’t recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | San Salvador to Denver via Houston. My family & I we’ll never spend a cent on this airline. The airline charges you for water and a snack & carry on, the seats are so cheap. The staff in El Salvador was so bad. Don’t recommend this airline again to anyone. You have to double check in your bags if transferred fights. And no one even knows what is going on.
RouteSan Salvador to Denver via Houston
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"definitely fly with them again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | What Spirit offer in low fares, their policies and customer service, is well within reason. Atlantic City to Tampa return. Both flights were great. I had heard negative things about Spirit, so was very interested and keen to fly with them, to enable me to have my own experience and form my own opinion. The price and flights were much better than other options, so I decided to fly with Spirit. Everything turned out to be completely smooth in both directions. Boarding was very fast on both flights, and service was reasonable (with cheerful staff). I had no problem bringing my backpack on board, as a free carry on. I knew Spirit is an affordable budget airline and not to expect free food or drinks, but the prices for purchasing items were reasonable. My flights left and arrived ahead of time. Leg room was reasonable and I was comfortable, it was worth being on a budget flight and preferred what little discomforts there were? There were none, considering the excellent fares. The aircraft was clean neat and tidy and the air crew and ground staff were all in good Spirit, pleasant and friendly. Definitely a value for money flight. I received everything I wanted and expected, a pleasant flight without any issues or problems. Only concern was my carbon fibre suitcase received unwarranted minor scratches. Next time I will protect my luggage with an outer cover. I would definitely fly with them again.
RouteAtlantic City to Tampa

"lazy and incompetent"

Trip Verified | I wanted a direct flight from Baltimore to Orlando to take our two boys to Disney for the first time. That was by far the worst experience of my life. I get to the airport more than an hour before our flight. Their check-in machines don't work. I asked for help, but no one was interested. There was more than 4 women behind the counter, doing nothing but chatting and checking their phones. When we walked over to one of them, who was extremely unfriendly and impolite, after fussing around for half an hour, one time they said they can't find our ticket, then they can find records of us paying for the luggage, then the printer is not work to print the tags. We finally get our luggage checked in, still don't understand what the problem was except, their employees are lazy and incompetent. We finally get through security and we get to the gate about 14 minutes before our flight. there was four of us. The gate door was still open and the plane still there. The check-in person mumbles and states that we missed our flight and we can't get on another flight. Considering that this was a morning flight. Yet not flights today or the following day. How about our luggage,? it's probably on the plane she said. After begging and arguing with her for a while, I realized that was useless. I needed to get to Orlando, so I call United, god bless them, they get me on a direct flight from IAD. So we took a cab to Dulles airport and we get on a flight on united. the difference was day and night. I called the the customer service, a woman that barely speaks english answers from the Philippines, I could barely understand anything she said. She told me basically tough luck, she's sorry but there is nothing she can do and I lose 2000K for my two tickets. I think it's crazy to have such an airline operate in this country.
RouteBaltimore to Orlando

"plain horrible experience"

Not Verified | Dallas to New York. Horrible experience. Not clearly defined rules for passengers to follow on baggage sizes. The boxes for checking the baggages are not at the places where it is easy to measure the size. They charge whatever they want to charge for the bags without notice. On line on Google when you check for prices they says are 55$ on boarding they charge you $65. They do not accept cash so if you forgot your credit card you can miss the flight. That's plain horrible experience.
RouteDallas to New York

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]