Spirit Airlines

"a poor excuse for a company"

Not Verified | I booked a family vacation back in March. The flights were cancelled due to the virus but Spirit Airlines said they can only is a credit not a refund. I said ok because I knew we would take that flight again later in the year when the virus is not so wide spread. I then find out that Spirit is no longer flying out of the airport that I live near anymore. I contact them to find out if I can get a refund now since they no longer fly the airport I live near. The closest one they now fly out of is 6 hours away from me. They said they still can issue no refund and credit is all I get and I just need to drive the 6 hours if I want to use that credit. I did some research and saw that the IS Department of Transportation issues a guidance that all airlines are required to issue refunds if the cancelations are due to the virus. However even after telling Spirit that, they still say I’m just out my $1192 I spent on tickets that we can never use now. This is a poor excuse for a company and I hope other people are not getting treated the same as our family. I will fly Delta from now on and hope you do as well.
RouteNew Orleans to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2020

"chosen to not give refunds"

Trip Verified | I do not think good customer services is provided to customers who travel with this selfish, in it for the profit and the profit, not concerned with people airline. During a national pandemic, this greedy airline has chosen to not give refunds. You could not pay me to ride or booked a flight with Spirit every in life again. Cheap is right!
RouteDetroit to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2019

"one year credit - no refunds"

Trip Verified | Spirit shows a lot of fluff while screwing their passengers. I purchased a cheap nonrefundable one way ticket last January, and for obvious reasons cancelled before my travel in April. They offer a one year credit - no refunds. Now that the world is beginning to get back on its feet, we know that we will never live the same life again. and a ticket that expires in January 2021 is the same as throwing $200 over my shoulder. Does anyone know what our world will look like in January 2021? So I called and asked for a refund (again). the agent read the script and bottom line - nope and no extensions. For the first time ever, the agent and I (we) are all in the same boat. And we discussed that. So, in an effort to see what they could do, the agent had a supervisor call me back. He did call me and read the same script. And his response: tough! Use the ticket by January 2021 or you are out $200.00. The most amazing thing about this is that I purchased a comparable ticket on Southwest at the same time (for the return trip.) And today I was advised that Southwest's "use in one year" policy has already been extended until - January 2022! I never even had to ask.
RouteNew Orleans to Las Vegas
Date FlownApril 2020

"not worth the frustration"

Not Verified | Spirit Airlines has had a terrible track record for a number of flights I have taken, but this last one will cause me to avoid them forever. I had a connecting flight in a city that was twice as far as my destination, which was acceptable to me because of the low prices. However, there was only an hour between the connecting flights. We began boarding 30 min late and I told the employees I was afraid I was going to miss my connection. They assured me there would be no issue and told me my best option was to board. I did so, and when I arrived myself and two others on that connection were left stranded in Baltimore. At the gate the spirit employees were helpless and could not provide anything. I left the gate and went to the spirit ticket counter. They informed me the next flight was tomorrow, or they could fly me back to LAX in six hours. They would NOT provide a hotel or a ticket on a different airline. I have never come across that before. I asked for a refund and was told that I would be given a ticket voucher directly to my account. I then was forced to pay out of pocket on a different airline just to make it to my destination. Once I checked my account I found I had not been given a voucher. Three days and half a dozen phone calls later I finally received a voucher number. Upon attempting to use the voucher I found ALL days were unavailable until further notice. A dozen more phone calls got me a plethora of explanations all of which ended with, "sorry, there is nothing we can do." I have wasted so much time and money on this airline. If this happens to you even once it is going to ruin your trip and cause hours of unnecessary work and wasted time. The cheap prices are not worth the frustration this airline will eventually cause you. I cannot dissuade you enough from taking this airline.
RouteLos Angeles to Chicago
Date FlownMarch 2020

"hope that my refund was processed"

Not Verified | I called this morning after speaking with other parents from my daughter's cheer gym. Our cheer competition was canceled in March. I canceled my flight on March 16th & received my vouchers. As COVID-19 started to shut down more events, we realized that the cheer competition would not be rescheduled. And, the government was asking airlines to refund travel. Several parents said that they called Spirit and received refunds after the initial cancelation of their flights. One of my friends told me she called this morning, so I decided to call and ask for a refund. She said that the process was simple. She stated that she wasn't given any hassle & it was a good experience. When I called, the representative told me that he was unable to process a refund on the phone, but I could receive a refund if I went online and requested it. I told him that I had a friend that called this morning & she was refunded over the phone. He told me he could not help me, so I asked him to transfer me to someone who may be able to. He transferred me to his supervisor, who proceeded to tell me that I wasn't warranted a refund at all & that he could give me an additional $50.00 on my voucher. I told him that the other representative told me I could get a refund online & he told me that wasn't true. So, the first person told me I could get a refund, but they weren't able to do it. And, his supervisor told me that a refund wasn't authorized at all. I told him about the friend I mentioned above and told him a voucher didn't do me any good because I am not an airline traveler. He hung up on me. This was 17 minutes of conversation. I called back & talked with Zamie. She told me that the supervisor put notes in the system that he was "disconnected". No, he clearly hung up when I asked him about why they issued refunds to other individuals. I gave her both reservation numbers and full names. She looked them up & verfied their refunds. After 53 minutes on the line with Zamie, she told me that she wasn't able to issue a refund either, because "I" canceled my flight .. not Spirit. I told her that the other two individuals did the exact same thing that I had done. And, I was following the same protocol. So, I was curious why I wasn't warranted the same refund that Spirit gave to other customers. We had the same flight to the same location & all of us canceled online and received vouchers. Once I told her I had received an email from Spirit that my flight was canceled, she put me on hold & issued the refund. So, I spent an hour & ten minutes this morning talking with people that told me I wasn't authorized a refund & finally gave me a refund. I understand that there are guidelines & rules in place. But, in times like these understanding goes a long way. And, I would understand if the answer was "no, vouchers only" to every single traveler. But, I personally knew of 2 different families that received refunds & I was being denied one under the same circumstances. Zamie was helpful, but her hands were tied. Nonetheless, I am very disappointed in Spirit Airlines. My husband is a retired Marine of 30 years & I served 5 years in the Air Force. I wasn't asking for something that was impossible. I was asking for the same service other people were given. I am hoping that other customers aren't having to jump through the same hoops I had to catapult myself through. People are out of jobs. People are scared. I truly hope that my refund was processed & I will get my money.
RouteCharleston, WV to Orlando, FL
Date FlownApril 2020

"The flight was terrible"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Orlando. I was disgusted for the passengers and flight crew. There was a large group of people That were traveling together that basically ran the plane. They did not follow directive to sit they stood in the aisles hovering over other passengers and their children did the same. The group was loud, obnoxious and the flight crew had no control. I couldn’t order a beverage because they could not get the cart through the aisle because of all the people standing. When we exited the plane it was trashed with spilled milk all over the seats and trash everywhere. Not to mention we didn’t leave the runway until 25min after scheduled time because some other group traveling together were late and needed to board. On top of that there was technical difficulties which made the plane return back to the terminal. We landed an hour and a half later then we were scheduled. The flight was terrible due to the lack of control over this large group traveling together. The flight attendants were loosing their patience and were ignoring the rest of the passengers due to dealing with the large group traveling together. No excuse I paid my money the same way they did. Moving forward Spirit will not be my first choice.
RoutePhiladelphia to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2020

"Very frustrated by Spirit"

Trip Verified | Very frustrated by Spirit Airlines! I have purchased tickets for my family on Feb 24th (3 seat places = $350.44) for the flight on Feb 27th over to Fort Lauderdale. Because of the COVID-19 news that came up later on TV News I decided not to take a risk and canceled for 2 seats (for my wife and daughter = $222.78) within 6 hours but kept one for myself for business purposes. The Spirit Customer Service has offered me credit that I could use and I was ok with that because I needed to buy a flight for my way back to Chicago. Everything went fine but I still couldn't receive a confirmation email from Spirit Airlines about my flight details. Then I've called them back again and I was surprised when I heard that they don't see any booked flight from Fort Lauderdale back to Chicago under my name. I was super frustrated because of wasted time and decided to refund my full amount. After intense discussion with an agent (and agent with her manager), they have agreed to return my money. After that, I bought a ticket from United Airlines and was all set. But, again, I have not received my confirmation about the refund. When I called them again they said they see my flight that was reserved from Fort Lauderdale (they couldn't see that flight on their system one day before), when I heard that I wanted to send them to the Moon. I have kept very polite and explained that I've already purchased one with another airline and wanted to refund money. They refused to return it, they forced/kept that flight (with no show further of course), and left me with $14 credit. I've tired of calls with them and decided to save my nervousness and health. I am super upset about Spirit Airlines, about their Customer Service and their unsynced database system. I am a Software Engineer myself and sure they need to start to invest in their systems/db servers.
RouteChicago to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Good job Spirit"

Trip Verified | I would like to start this review by stating this was the very first time I have ever been personally thanked for flying Spirit by the in-flight crew. I was pleasantly shocked and surprised. That small detail made the in-flight experience that much more pleasant. The airplane was brand new and like I recommend in every review, please spend the extra few dollars and upgrade to the big front seat if you can and if available. That is one of the main reasons I continue to fly Spirit the big front seat gives you the business class comfort without the price tag. The checkin experience at Fort Lauderdale was also more pleasant than what it usually is so overall for this particular experience I have to give two thumbs up. We left on time and arrived early. Good job Spirit, now all you need is b..consistency. I fly Spirit multiple times a year.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Atlantic City
Date FlownMarch 2020

"still trying to get a refund"

Not Verified | My wife was in Colombia trying to leave and we were able to get her on an earlier flight (all of this due to Covid 19) and was able to change her flight. Not only did Spirit charge me a $90 change fee, but after one month I am still trying to get a refund for the original ticket cost. The text system is useless and they do not offer the ability to speak to a live person.
RouteBogota to Atlantic City
Date FlownMarch 2020

"never notified me of cancellation"

(Puerto Rico)

Not Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to San Juan. There are no words to describe my frustration with this airline. My flight to Puerto Rico was leaving today April 14, 2020 at 5:40am and at the time of check-in they indicated that the airline was closed and had canceled all flights. The airline never notified me of the cancellation. I contacted them and they offered me three alternatives, first was that they would return the money but that it takes time to register in my bank account, second is that I have a one-year pass to fly with them again and third that the closest flight is on June 10, 2020. I am a police officer in PR and I am banned at the Dallas airport to pay another hotel and transportation to figure out what can I do.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to San Juan

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]