Spirit Airlines

"Garbage airline"

Not Verified | Seattle to Phoenix with Spirit Airlines. Garbage airline. Got an email at 10.30pm notifying the cancellation of my flight the next morning. No reason given. No resolution given except a link which leads to their website. Just their website. Find the customer service number on your own. Finally got on the line with a customer service rep and there was so much yelling in the background it was hard to hear her clearly. The "best" she could do was offer me a Sunday night flight when my return flight is Monday morning. Idiots.
RouteSeattle to Phoenix
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"do not choose to fly with Spirit"

Not Verified | Sacramento to Las Vegas. Spirit knew that there was a high probability that the flight would have to be canceled, yet they still had everyone on the flight board the plane anyways, and had us wait for an hour and a half in the seats before telling us that the flight was cancelled. Their reparations were horrible, staff was rude and lied to us, and we had to wait another hour and a half in customer service lines to get refunded. My partner and I were not able to go on our planned weekend trip with family at all. The reason for cancellation was that the bathrooms were broken, and while we were seated they had maintenance frantically trying to fix the bathrooms. Since no one could use the bathrooms while we were waiting for the plane to take off, they had their staff escort patrons on and off the plane to use the bathroom, but wouldn't let anyone buy food, get water or leave. While I was being escorted to the bathrooms, I overheard a Sheriff talking about how there was "no way this plane would take off tonight", but whoever was in charge working for Spirit kept arguing with him, clearly trying to evade refunding everyone's flight ... a decision that would cost us all. After having us wait seated on the plane for an hour and a half - which they had passed the time by reassuring us the flight would take off soon, and giving us orders about leaving the plane and using bathrooms - they finally told us the flight was cancelled and to de-board. Everyone got an email with a rescheduled flight - for my partner and I the next flight would be the following night which would not work because our return flight was only a few hours away from our arrival. Since it was so late at night there were not other departing flights for us .. if they had just told us the flight was canceled before having us board we would have made it on another flight and been able to go on our weekend trip. So we In order to get refunded we would have to wait for over an hour in one of Spirit's customer service lines. We asked for compensation for other expenses for having to spend the night at a hotel near the airport or some meal voucher which is customary for airlines refunding canceled flight, but all they offered us was a $50 coupon for a carry-on luggage with Spirit. We declined as we will not be flying with them again. Save yourself a huge risk and do not choose to fly with Spirit. We chose them because we thought it'd be cheap but everyone that night lost more money with Spirit than they would have if they chose a reputable airline.
RouteSacramento to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"the hassle of flying Spirit"

Not Verified | Orlando to Dallas Ft Worth. I have been flying Spirit Airlines once or twice a month for that last year and a half. The airline and customer service has been on a steady descent ever since I started flying with them. It's time to start looking into other airlines and now I am willing to pay more for my ticket to not deal with the hassle of flying Spirit! The spirit is gone.
RouteOrlando to Dallas Ft Worth

"disrespect and disregard"

Trip Verified | San Juan to Fort Lauderdale. Worst customer service ever. I’m stuck in Florida for 24 hours and that’s after I was lied to at the airport and was just stuck on a flight because one set of Spirit employees did not want to mess with the process so they pawned us off to the next airport so they would have to deal with it. Now I’m stuck. Spirit offered me a hotel and $35 in food vouchers. If you think a hotel and $35 pathetic dollars will help us (2 people) after all this trouble you have caused, you don’t have a clue what customer service is. I have used Spirit 8 times in the last 6 months. I have never been treated with more disrespect from a company than I have when dealing with Spirit Airlines. I never write reviews but I’m at my limit with the disrespect and disregard for taking care of their customers.
RouteSan Juan to Fort Lauderdale

"extremely uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Miami to Boston. My seat is the spirit “Big Front Seat”. It’s true that’s wider and has more leg room, but the seat is unadjustable, which means the back can’t move at all which is extremely uncomfortable. There’s no free carry on or check in, with the money I paid for the carry on luggage, spirit isn’t cheaper than other airlines anymore. There’s literally no service on board, even the water cost 2 dollar. So in conclusion, do not take spirit, it’s not cheaper and it’s extremely uncomfortable.
AircraftA319-132
RouteMiami to Boston
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Ft. Myers to Chicago. My family and I were taking a short trip, so each of us packed a book bag, no one had any additional items on them, such as, a purse, suitcase or any bag with wheels and our bags fell within the size limits. We were then pin pointed out and made to pay as if we had each brought a carry on suitcase. When I contacted the airline about it, I was given the same script that our bags were the wrong size, when they did not even ask for a picture to see the bags. There was numerous dogs on our flight, one that had 2 fully grown German Shepard’s that sat directly behind us, she let everyone know that she did not have to pay for her dogs to fly. Her dogs were bigger than the book bag. Again, I just keep getting the run around. This is awful customer service all around. We will never fly with them again, we followed all of the rules and still got charged. Really upsets me that they pick and choose and took advantage of us, knowing we could not argue with in fear of missing our flight.
RouteFt. Myers to Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Chicago. I will never be flying with Spirit Airlines again. Delayed for 5 hours and had to get a third plane due to maintenance issues. Terrible customer service as well, when asked what the issues were with the plane we got no answers. After paying for luggage you really aren't saving any money.
RouteLas Vegas to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"screenshot your boarding pass"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to New Orleans. The app never works. If you setup a profile you will never be able to login and customer service will only tell you to try again in an hour, but it will never happen. The flight may be cheap but it's only worth it if you have 1 personal item. Otherwise the bag fees are very expensive. And make sure to screenshot your boarding pass because their website and the Spirit app just may not give you the printable version. I think this is done on purpose so you can pay them $10 at the airport for a copy. If you call customer service about it, they will encourage you to print out at the airport. No the seats don't recline so hopefully you get get a long flight and fall asleep on the plane. You will wake up with a crook in your neck and/or possibly aching arms. But if you have only 1 bag 18x14x8 then you're cool.
RouteBaltimore to New Orleans
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"she wouldn’t let me on a plane"

Trip Verified | Was flying from Cancun to LA with the connection flight in Detroit. My first flight was delayed for 1 hour at first, then for another 30 minutes. When we got to Detroit, we were late to our next flight. Took us another 40 minutes to get our luggage. The next flight was already almost boarded. No one seemed to accommodate as somehow or at least to apologize. After we stuck in security area and my tray was just sitting for an additional check, I tried to ask the lady at the boarding area to wait for a little, because we were still getting checked, since it was just across from that area. The lady responded with attitude, that she is going to close the gate now. I went back to security and asked if they could check my tray please, but got another mean worker to tell me NO! n I went back to the boarding area and asked if I can just stay there. And lady said that I had to have my boarding passes, which were kept by my husband who was still at security point So stressful for me and my child and the whole family. I wasn’t disrespectful or didn’t say anything I shouldn’t say. Just trying to explain it wasn’t my fault. The lady called security on me and said she wouldn’t let me on a plane. She made up story that I was calling her names. And when I asked for her name - she refused to give me her name , just laughed and said to look for her on FB. They left us on empty airport for more than 7 hours without offering any food or place to rest. Now we have to fly to Vegas in AM and then to LA. I still don’t know where to look for my luggage. It’s my last time using Spirit airlines.
RouteCancun to Los Angeles via Detroit
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Checked baggage twice as expensive"

Trip Verified | Denver to Houston. I never fly Spirit Airline, but due to a Travel Agency Mixup With my travel date, “I thought” this option would be a cheaper option. I could not have been more mistaken. Checked baggage is twice as expensive as other airlines. This did not bother me as much as them misplacing my snowboard and gear. The not only misplaced mine but the misplaced a fellow passengers car seat. The missing baggage report was simple enough while at the airport. But their follow up is less than poor. It is near impossible to talk with an actual person over the telephone. Their automated is suboptimal. It gives you number options but does not recognize the response when pressed, then hangs up on you. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt by using a landline and the same thing happened. The good news is that the board and gear were found. The bad news is they made no effort to inform me when it was found. I had to spend 2 hours on hold to actually find out where my bag was. Then had to drive back, 30 miles, and pay for parking, then track down someone who could find my bag. Spirit does not have special handling for items such as Snow Boards. I recommend United or American Airlines for these types of item. They do a fantastic job. Not once in over 50 travels have either of these items lost my gear.
RouteDenver to Houston

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]