Spirit Airlines

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Houston to Chicago. Engine failure coming down force us to land at another airport. Rebooked us for the next day on United. They would not honor our check luggage and we had to pay 50 dollars a bag. The meal tickets they gave us and said we could use them anywhere in the airport was not true. Very few restaurants would take them. Terrible customer service and curiosity. Will never fly with them again.
RouteHouston to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"ended up missing the flight"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Tampa. I was 6 minutes late at baggage check. I understood that I might miss my flight, however the customer service lady was rude and would not help me figure out what to do. She shrugged her shoulders, acted nonchalant and was just rude. Finally, after 5 minutes she told me I could try getting through security with my check bag. I ended up missing the flight, but I'd never fly Spirit again. I'd rather pay more and fly Delta and be treated well!
RouteAtlanta to Tampa

"The worst airline ever"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Ft Lauderdale. The worst airline ever do not book with them. The app doesn’t work. I got to airport an hour early only because I had no bags I checked in at the same time I arrived. The app said something about seating so I thought my code would still scan because why else would they give me one. Also it said please see attendant once I checked in. I arrived to an attendant at check-in area after the barcode wouldn’t work at clear around 40 minutes before take off. They wouldn’t help me even though I told them and other people told them their was a glitch in their app. Their line took a 30 minutes to get through. All around the worst airline ever, I fly often but after this I refuse to book with them. I had no bags To check in might I add. So I would’ve easily made it with any other airline. It’s cheap, that’s the only reason I give spirit even two stars, other wise they are horrible based on everything from customer service to they’re hard seats.
RouteOrlando to Ft Lauderdale

"The seats are tiny"

Trip Verified | Boston to Fort lauderdale. Never again. Cheap tickets but they charge you for absolutely everything from you baggage to the water you drink. The seats are tiny and made out of hard plastic. They do not recline and theres barely any space to cross your legs. If your trip is more than 2 hours I recommend you pay the extra $50 from the next cheapest airline. In the end you will be spending much more than that and at least flying comfortably.
RouteBoston to Fort lauderdale
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"The flight was pretty good"

Not Verified | Nashville to New Orleans. The flight was pretty good in my opinion. No in flight entertainment and no WiFi and seats were a little tight, but when you pay 40 dollars for a seat, you get what you pay for. Plane was new, flight was on time, crew was pretty nice. Only thing is bags are more expensive than tickets most of the time and a 40 pound weight limit is frustrating, but as far as the actual flight experience, it was perfect. Recommended for anyone solo who won’t have a lot of stuff. Families might want to look elsewhere though because of the bags prices and limits.
AircraftA320neo
RouteNashville to New Orleans
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"refuses to give us a pink ticket"

Not Verified | Chicago to Dallas. So we got to the Chicago airport at 5:30 this morning because we had a family member graduating in the naval forces. We got guest passes to escort him to his flight, so therefore to get passed the gates we went through security. We walked to Spirit terminal and asked the customer service counter if we had to redo security since we paid for checked bags and they assured us we didn’t. Well we get here for our flight and the lady at the desk refuses to give us a pink ticket and says we have to pay for a carry on. Then another worker came over and defended us, calling out the worker for being lazy.
RouteChicago to Dallas

"Garbage airline"

Not Verified | Seattle to Phoenix with Spirit Airlines. Garbage airline. Got an email at 10.30pm notifying the cancellation of my flight the next morning. No reason given. No resolution given except a link which leads to their website. Just their website. Find the customer service number on your own. Finally got on the line with a customer service rep and there was so much yelling in the background it was hard to hear her clearly. The "best" she could do was offer me a Sunday night flight when my return flight is Monday morning. Idiots.
RouteSeattle to Phoenix
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"do not choose to fly with Spirit"

Not Verified | Sacramento to Las Vegas. Spirit knew that there was a high probability that the flight would have to be canceled, yet they still had everyone on the flight board the plane anyways, and had us wait for an hour and a half in the seats before telling us that the flight was cancelled. Their reparations were horrible, staff was rude and lied to us, and we had to wait another hour and a half in customer service lines to get refunded. My partner and I were not able to go on our planned weekend trip with family at all. The reason for cancellation was that the bathrooms were broken, and while we were seated they had maintenance frantically trying to fix the bathrooms. Since no one could use the bathrooms while we were waiting for the plane to take off, they had their staff escort patrons on and off the plane to use the bathroom, but wouldn't let anyone buy food, get water or leave. While I was being escorted to the bathrooms, I overheard a Sheriff talking about how there was "no way this plane would take off tonight", but whoever was in charge working for Spirit kept arguing with him, clearly trying to evade refunding everyone's flight ... a decision that would cost us all. After having us wait seated on the plane for an hour and a half - which they had passed the time by reassuring us the flight would take off soon, and giving us orders about leaving the plane and using bathrooms - they finally told us the flight was cancelled and to de-board. Everyone got an email with a rescheduled flight - for my partner and I the next flight would be the following night which would not work because our return flight was only a few hours away from our arrival. Since it was so late at night there were not other departing flights for us .. if they had just told us the flight was canceled before having us board we would have made it on another flight and been able to go on our weekend trip. So we In order to get refunded we would have to wait for over an hour in one of Spirit's customer service lines. We asked for compensation for other expenses for having to spend the night at a hotel near the airport or some meal voucher which is customary for airlines refunding canceled flight, but all they offered us was a $50 coupon for a carry-on luggage with Spirit. We declined as we will not be flying with them again. Save yourself a huge risk and do not choose to fly with Spirit. We chose them because we thought it'd be cheap but everyone that night lost more money with Spirit than they would have if they chose a reputable airline.
RouteSacramento to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"the hassle of flying Spirit"

Not Verified | Orlando to Dallas Ft Worth. I have been flying Spirit Airlines once or twice a month for that last year and a half. The airline and customer service has been on a steady descent ever since I started flying with them. It's time to start looking into other airlines and now I am willing to pay more for my ticket to not deal with the hassle of flying Spirit! The spirit is gone.
RouteOrlando to Dallas Ft Worth

"disrespect and disregard"

Trip Verified | San Juan to Fort Lauderdale. Worst customer service ever. I’m stuck in Florida for 24 hours and that’s after I was lied to at the airport and was just stuck on a flight because one set of Spirit employees did not want to mess with the process so they pawned us off to the next airport so they would have to deal with it. Now I’m stuck. Spirit offered me a hotel and $35 in food vouchers. If you think a hotel and $35 pathetic dollars will help us (2 people) after all this trouble you have caused, you don’t have a clue what customer service is. I have used Spirit 8 times in the last 6 months. I have never been treated with more disrespect from a company than I have when dealing with Spirit Airlines. I never write reviews but I’m at my limit with the disrespect and disregard for taking care of their customers.
RouteSan Juan to Fort Lauderdale

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]