Spirit Airlines

"Absolutely everything has a cost!"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale. I've been travelling with JetBlue, American Airlines and other airlines for a very long time, however, I think I travelled with Spirits Airlines probably about 12 years ago. This time after all those years I took a risk to fly again only because my trip was arranged at the last minute given me no option but to fly with them. This time I realised that not only it's cheaper in some cases but the service is terrible. Absolutely everything has a cost! Even soft drinks including water, coffee and tea! Not to mention the fact that the chairs are the most uncomfortable, even the big chains offer at extra cost! I'm sure next they'll be charging to use the aircraft's toilets! Cheap becomes expensive. Sorry Spirits but not flying again even if it's free!
AircraftNK310-NK339
RouteLos Angeles to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Horrible airline"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Orlando. Horrible airline and customer service is just as bad. My son was flying by himself, he was at the gate an hour and half early. The plane was boarding and when he got to the gate he was told to move to the side and wait until everyone boards the plane because he will be last to get on. Actual words, “ oh no you have to move to the side and wait, you’ll be last to get on”. He then has to wait another 15 minutes at the gate after everyone has boarded the plane to board the flight. Once he is finally on the plane stewardess removes another passenger out of their seat to make room for my son to have a seat. So not only are you making an experience bad for an unaccompanied minor you have now inconvenienced another passenger. Very rude and very unprofessional.
RouteChicago to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2019

"I don’t appreciate being called a liar"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Atlanta with Spirit Airlines. Horrible when someone calls you a liar after all the hassle getting to gate. I was told my bag was no problem, no charge. Get to gate I was told they would never say that. I had no problem paying, just would have been easier and cheaper to check it in, also I don’t appreciate being called a liar at all and be told the wrong thing.
RouteMinneapolis to Atlanta
Date FlownMarch 2019

"attendants were very nice"

Trip Verified | Thank you Spirit. This was an awesome smooth comfortable flight. My husband said best flight he's ever had. Flight attendants were very nice, seats roomy and comfortable. We had people telling us it would be the worst, so that's what we expected. I have knee troubles and was not bothered at all. Thank you again and please nobody listen to what others say because this was a great flight and we will use Spirit Airlines from now on!
RouteLoveland to Denver via Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Very upsetting and disheartening"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Houston with Spirit Airlines. Horrible customer service and very unprofessional. Workers at gate made rude remarks and were whining about how difficult their job is which I'm sure it is but it is not for one to use it as an excuse to be rude to customers. This was our first time at this large airport and traveling with a toddler and yet the lady at the gate had to throw in how we were the last people boarding and that 200 hundred others made it on time. Very unnecessary especially without knowing everything we had been through that morning. Very upsetting and disheartening. I would rate my experience as a 0 if possible. If only I could have recorded her horrible words.
RouteAtlanta to Houston
Date FlownMarch 2019

"will not use them again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Tampa. Worst Customer Service I’ve experienced. Was at the gate 17 minutes ahead of time and they were announcing last call and were closing the door so we went up and got a “sorry I already closed the door” from the girl at the gate. The door just closed and the plane did not move for almost 20 more minutes after, yet we couldn’t get another flight until the following night - definitely will not use them again.
RouteChicago to Tampa

"really did not care"

Not Verified | I had a layover in Fort Lauderdale going to Hartford and we were stuck on runway for 45 minutes because the plane had no place to dock. When the plane finally docked me and about 8 other passengers ran to the Hartford gate only to find out the gates were closed. Although the plane was still there. The staff for Spirit was no help at all and didn’t seem to even care about my well being. I waited in customer service for an hour and a half to reschedule a flight for the next morning. Spirit offered me no place to stay at all. This shouldn’t have happened in the first place at all. There other flight should have been notified of the plane being on the runway for 45 minutes but it was not done at all. Once again the customer service agents really did not care. They essentially said to me your on your own for now. It is extremely safe to say that I will never be doing business with Spirit Airlines again. For future reference I recommend you communicate better with your other flights and staff about situations like this because this is ridiculous.
RouteTampa to Fort Lauderdale via Hartford

"horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Managua. This is absolutely the worst experience I’ve had with this airline, do not use their service, stick with another airline, I had my flight delayed 2 times having to wait 3 hours to finally board and then in the middle of our flight having to be told that our flight is heading back because of bad electrical navigation system? I though the delays were to fix it like they said they would? And also I thought they would change our airplane if they couldn’t fix it like they said? What a bunch of liars, I’m still here along with the rest of the clients in the airplane finding a way for us to reach our destination as soon as possible because vouchers for future flights is not acceptable! It’s disrespectful to even think I would use this airline again, Bottom line horrible experience, horrible customer service horrible in general. Stay away.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Managua

"bad customer service"

Trip Verified | When my flight was canceled. I called Spirit to see what my options were but kept getting disconnected. My husband went online to book a different flight. When the confirmation came back the dates were wrong. I tried calling Spirit but kept getting disconnected. I was also getting charged cancellation fees. I went to Spirit in DIA the ticket agent gave me a different flight that didn’t meet any of my preferences and charged me over twice the amount I originally paid for. She said anything else would cost over $400.00 thinking I didn’t have a choice I took it. Shortly leaving I had a feeling to check there availability I found one that meet my needs and $100 cheaper. I was already driving home on bad roads and decided to call when I got to a stopping point. Could not get through until 1am the agent wanted to charge me an $152 on what I had already paid. I decided to call a manager. He would not help because I was out of the 24 hour period. I told him when I first got through it was 1am not out of the 24 hour period. This did not mater. All in all my flight that cost $116 turns to $352 . I spent several hours on hold, I was stuck in Denver for two nights because of weather, I was lied to taken advantage of, Very bad customer service. I understand they cannot control weather and there are extra fees to change flights but when someone has already paid for a service but when a cyclone hits you should help people not take advantage of them. While at the airport I was standing next to Delta and they were talking care of all there customers making sure they got were they needed to go.
RouteDenver to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2018

"Bad customer service"

Trip Verified | Spirit Airlines from Las Vegas to Chicago. Bad customer service. Outrages prices. Had to pay for checked bag $50, that is $20 more then other arlines plus $30 more for a bag over 40lb (other airlines allow 50lb). Had to pay for seat assignments. Will never fly Spirit again.
RouteLas Vegas to Chicago

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]