Spirit Airlines

"terrible hospitality"

Not Verified | Philadelphia to Dallas with Spirit Airlines. Delayed 6 hours due to engine failure. Small seats, no recline, terrible hospitality. Avoid at all costs, it's not worth saving the few bucks on your flight.
RoutePhiladelphia to Dallas
Date FlownDecember 2018

"crew has always been friendly"

Not Verified | I have been flying Spirit 1 to 2 round trips a month from Chicago to Denver for the last 3 years. Only fly other airlines when Spirit has no flights available. Have never had a problem with delays other than weather related. Customer service and crew has always been friendly. I am retired and my schedule is flexible and normally travel with only a backpack but do occasionally bring my dad and mother-in-law with bags. I also upgrade to front seating (4 seats per row) when available. Flyers have to realize it may not be for everyone as it is a cafeteria style airline. Just wish they had more flights per day. I will continue being a loyal customer of Spirit.
RouteChicago to Denver
Date FlownNovember 2018

"never fly Spirit Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Tampa. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. They nickel and dime you to death. Please dont be tempted to sign up for their Spirit 101 club (their supposed $9.00 club). They will charge you a yearly fee of $69.00. They will charge it before it is due and it will be difficult or impossible to get out of. Bye bye, Spirit Airlines. There are just too many other better choices.
RouteBaltimore to Tampa
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"inability to help customer"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Oakland. I was not helped. I was shocked by the airlines inability to help customer. My wife had lost her wallet in the Airline, I went rushing to the airport 's Spirit Front Desk. Since I am done with my flight , they too were done with helping me. We were waiting for the ladies to help us and no they never wanted to help. We finally got a call saying please come and collect your wallet anytime tomorrow. I came to the Oakland Airport at 10 AM and I am still waiting as I write this review its 3PM already. With Spirit there is no way to speak to a Human Operator , The only time you can speak to one is when you book a ticket and thats 30$ extra to talk to that human. I feel I could have booked the same flight that I booked with Spirit with an American or A United and I could have had much better peace of mind. I wasted 2 days when I could have been helped and got my wallet back in 2 hours. The cost of a cheaper ticket was I had to waste one day of my salary and my peace of mind. As I was angry with my wife all the time for losing the wallet in the first place. I swear I would spend the extra dollars with other carrier for a safer and a smooth customer experience rather than flying Spirit.
RouteLas Vegas to Oakland
Date FlownDecember 2018

"will avoid this airline at all costs"

Trip Verified | 19 year active military. Never use Spirit Airlines. 14 people (military and spouses) in our group, all flown same days and times. We and multiple others not in our group, were treated with disrespectful attitudes, ie if they must, they will grace us with their assistance to do their jobs of checking bags. In Seattle the carry on item size checker at gate was bigger than Las Vegas so on the return flight the rude gate agents were charging people $50-65 to bring on carry on items (that easily fit in the approved Seattle carry one size checker). Then I paid at the baggage check for one of my other bags $21 bucks to Vegas and after speaking to the supervisor was required to pay $50 (same bag, same weight, just different airport). Agents at gate and baggage check do not enjoy their jobs and dont enjoy helping us or our military. I will avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2018

"cancelled my return ticket"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Las Vegas. Missed my departing flight so i bought a new Spirit ticket for next day only to find out they cancelled my return ticket! After I called to let them know I would miss my departing flight they never mentioned the cancellation of my departure flight. After 400 dollars more I made it home, but will never use this airline ever again.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Delayed 3 times to depart"

Not Verified | Tampa to Minneapolis. Weather in Florida is sunny 80 degrees and Scheduled to board at 9:15. Delayed 3 times to depart at 1:15 AM. The people at the airport say that the flight is in route from Detroit and will be leaving as soon as it touches down. Well, at 12:30 AM they tell us that yes the flight is coming but they don’t have a pilot to fly it. So they are going to delay it another hour why they try and find a pilot. Bottom line is that you can’t count on this airline to get you to your destination. 5 years ago I flew this airline and this same thing happened. I swore I would never fly this airline again. Well fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. For those of you who have flew this airline and said “ I’ll never fly them again”. Well, don’t fly them again -from the Tampa airport with 2 kids at 1 am
RouteTampa to Minneapolis
Date FlownDecember 2018

"I got exactly what I paid for"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Las Vegas. I have heard a lot of complaints about this airline even as I sit in the terminal waiting to go back to Seattle. What I have taken from all of this is people read the website, it's not the fancy way to fly it is economy. You pay for anything more than the bare essentials. I have enjoyed my experience with Spirit. I payed for an aisle seat, and understand that is isnt the most comfortable airline to travel but I got exactly what I paid for. Dont blame the airline because you are to lazy to read the fine print.
RouteSeattle to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2018

"had to throw clothes away"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Cleveland. Never in my life have I ever had a problem having a carry on and a purse. The lady at the counter gave me a hard time I had to throw clothes away to take my purse and my carry on. Checking a bag for $65 is crazy when all other airlines let you have both. I flew American to Tampa with the same amount of Carry ons and had no problem.
RouteTampa to Cleveland
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Houston via Las Vegas. I've only ever flown with family before this trip, and when I was much younger. This was my first time flying on my own. I took four flights via Spirit Airlines; from Seattle to Vegas, then Vegas to Houston and vice versa on my return. I looked at reviews prior to my trip and it had me incredibly worried. However, I was pleasantly surprised about the service I received whilst flying with Spirit Airlines. The trip went as planned and I believe on three of the four flights we arrived at our destination ahead of schedule, the last flight making it on time. The seats were a bit cramped but I wouldn't say they were uncomfortable. The flight attendants were kind and fun - I actually watched a flight attendant calm down a crying baby! All and all I felt safe and comfortable flying with Spirit. The price is really low but the service, in my own opinion, goes above what you pay for even still. No qualms.
RouteSeattle to Houston via Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]