Spirit Airlines

"charged me $100 for the grocery bag"

Trip Verified | I Booked my flight paid for a checked bag. Go to the airport my bag was over 40lbs so the lady told me to pay $70 or take some items out and put in a grocery bag which I did I then get to my gate they and then charged me $100 for the grocery bag, my carry on was my purse a small purse that go over my shoulder - the lady should’ve told me that they were going to charge me $100 for it. For all of that I could’ve just paid the $70 because it was over by 8lbs. Then I get on my flight we are boarding and I put the grocery bag in the cubby it was a single one by itself and the flight attendant says we need to take it out because they need more space and I’m like no I just paid $100 for this bag to get on the flight I just feel like I should be credited back $100.
RouteAtlanta to Baltimore

"awful experience"

Trip Verified | I would avoid this airline at all costs. First my flight was delayed resulting in me missing my connecting flight. Second I was charged $99 for my carry on bag. My carry on bag cost more than my flight. When I tried checking my carry in online it was no where to be found forcing me to pay extra when I got to my gate. The airplane has absolutely no leg room. I am 5’8 and my knees were pressed against the seat in front of me. It was also freezing in the airplane being blasted with cold air the entire flight while is 40 degrees outside. Overall awful experience and will make sure to be avoiding this airline in the future.
RoutePortland to Las Vegas
Date FlownNovember 2022

"gate was changed last minute"

Trip Verified | Terrible! I paid a pretty penny for these tickets: $260 one way. And yet, the gate was changed last minute, the boarding was late and worse a $99 charge was added to my account because of a small bag! Small! Worse, 2 minors were refused entry because their bag was too big and they couldn't pay with cash. They were left crying at the gate. I tried to help pay but they said they were closing the gate. They shut down the front desk before all people were processed. Never ever again. This company wont exist in 2 years. Mark my words
RouteIndianapolis to Tampa
Date FlownNovember 2022

"The worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Horrible airline! The worst customer service. I paid for a trip that I needed to cancel and rebook. I supplied all the information they requested, had numerous chats and was not responded to. They kept my $450+ seats and bag check that I paid for. I have never had an airline be so unresponsive. It will always be a win for them and a lose for the customer!
RouteMiami to Detroit
Date FlownJune 2022

"the worst airline I've flown"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | This airline is nothing but a huge rip-offer. They charge ridiculous amount for every single additional service. The biggest rip-off but perhaps their biggest source of income is baggage charge. And please be careful because even if you have paid for additional baggage online in advance, at the check-in counter, they can just pretend it doesn't show on their system and refuse to let you board without paying for the same baggage one more time, but with a bigger amount. They will just keep saying they have no idea. Even when you show them confirmation emails as proof, they will just keep saying it doesn't show on their stupid system. They'll even blame you for possibly being scammed by other websites even though you have paid through websites that officially represent their airlines and they say they know those websites very well. The attitude of their staff is also beyond words. They treat you as if you beg them for a free seat on the plane. Some of them even laugh at you for being charged extra at the counter. There are so so so many hidden costs from the moment you book until you board. In short, this is the worst airline I've flown. It's the worst even among all the low-cost airlines I have travelled with.
RouteLa Guardia to Miami
Date FlownNovember 2022

"book with anyone other than Spirit"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever! Would never recommend Spirit, not to anyone for any reason! Terrible customer service! Uncomfortable seats! Reserved front row then told to move to second row after paying for front row because they have airbag on seatbelts on front row. Ridiculous! No mention of that when paying. Awful, never again will fly this supposedly cheap airline! Do yourself a favor and book with anyone other than Spirit.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Newark
Date FlownNovember 2022

"no other airlines are treating people that poorly"

Trip Verified | Flying Spirit Airlines is the most horrible experience ever. Yes, it is cheap, but if you add $60 for luggage and all the trouble you have to go through it is not worth it whatsoever. I fly a lot and no other airlines are treating people that poorly. They change the time of your flight and don't care if it is convenient for you or not. They are constantly late. Employees are highly unprofessional and rude. Seats are so uncomfortable that it feels like you were sitting for couple hours on wooden bench. They will not let you board the plane if you are less than 45 min early. They charge arm and a leg for 1lb over limit on your luggage. Customer service sucks! People should stop using this airline only to show that doing business this way is unacceptable! I know I am.
RouteChicago to Florida
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I would not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | We booked with Sprit Airlines to fly to Orlando for the day and fly back had our tickets ready and got to the airport one hour before the "take off time" for a small airport that is about the right time to get there. After going through TSA Myself and 10 other people were not allowed to board the plane due to them "already closing the door" The plane sat in the loading area for 10 minutes before taxiing out to the runway. All those people could have boarded the plan without doing anything besides opening a door but the crew at the front said that their airline has been running late to much and they had to start taking off sooner then the times they gave us. After it was all said and done the man came out to myself and the 10 other people to state that none of us were getting our money back. So we are out 600$ and was lucky to find another way to where we were going. After calling their customer Service center the women was very rude and kept saying no, no, no almost like a child. It was very weird and I would not recommend this airline at all even for the price. I do not like leaving reviews however something has got to change with this airline.
RoutePensacola to Orlando
Date FlownNovember 2022

"nonstop for 4 hours it's good enough"

Not Verified | I bought the tickets because they were cheap, and only needed enough for one week. As long as your carry on fits the measuring drop, you will not be charged for it. Just stuff your purse in the bigger bag, and you save lots of money. The flight attendants were very nice when I told them I was a nervous flyer with a phobia of flying. On the way to Las Vegas when I was boarding the pilot said hello and was reassuring when he heard I was scared and was forcing myself to take an airline. They were on time to Nevada and back to Detroit, so no problems there. I took another budget airline once before, but Spirit was better. My only complaint is the wifi is bad, and the seats are small and your behind will start to hurt after a few hours. Once they fix the seat issue and make them more comfortable, and get the wi fi working better, I wouldn't have a single complaint. I wouldn't recommend for a long flight, but for a nonstop for 4 hours it's good enough.
RouteDetroit DTW to Las Vegas
Date FlownNovember 2022

"cheap ticket cost is a sham"

Trip Verified | This is the first time and the absolute last time I will fly with this airline. The cheap ticket cost is a sham because when you check in they charge you a fortune for all bags accept a back pack/briefcase(1/person). We were charged $289.00 for 3 bags. Also if any of the checked bags are over 40lbs they charge for that as well. Received a notification 2hrs prior to flight that we would have a 3hr delay and would not make any accommodations for the delay. Do not fly with this airline!
RouteLos Angeles to Portland