Singapore Airlines

"gave me a hard time with baggage"

Trip Verified | Ahmedabad to San Francisco via Singapore. The overall in-cabin experience was fine, however, the check-in experience at the Ahmedabad airport was horrible. The staff gave me a hard time with baggage. It took 2 hours and standing in the check-in line three times to get my boarding passes. They weighed the personal bag and made fuss about the weight being 0.2 kgs over in one bag while it was 0.3 kgs under in another bag. I was told that the personal bag, which happened to be my laptop bag, cannot have anything else but the laptop and laptop accessories. I asked them if there was a scale I can use to distribute/adjust the weight across all my luggage pieces and they did not know or were not bothered to find out. Each time I had to go through bag screening and stand in long lines to find out that I still need to balance out 0.1 or 0.2 kgs of weight between my bags. While I was going through this ordeal, the staff is trying to sell me upgrade to business class in spite of telling him no once. I do have to mention that I flew Singapore airlines from SFO to Ahmedabad on Jan 27th 2020 and did not have a similar experience with luggage at the San Francisco airport. Given the coronavirus outbreak, I wish the in-cabin staff had some masks on hand to distribute to passengers requesting it. All of them were wearing it and when I asked for one, they said they do not have any.
RouteAhmedabad to San Francisco via Singapore

"Crew was friendly"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Bangkok. Seat and plane were pretty new. Seat was comfortable. Food was terrible. Crew was friendly. Lots better than their economy class crews. Overall was okay.
RouteSingapore to Bangkok
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"not comfortable as I expected"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Singapore. This is my 3rd time for Singapore and this is my first time for business class. Seat when adjusted to be flat bed was not comfortable as I expected. Food was not okay.
AircraftBoeing 777 -300er
RouteLos Angeles to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"I am USD 100 out of pocket"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Zurich. A few weeks in advance they changed several of my upcoming itineraries out of the blue with no offer of refund or compensation. One of the changed itineraries is a big change and really messed up my travel plans. First of all, I paid for a specific itinerary and they just decide to change it to an inferior itinerary. Secondly, I have a non-refundable domestic flight (not SIA) that I can no longer use with the new itinerary so I have to buy a new USD 100 ticket. So, I am USD 100 out of pocket. Customer service is non-existing with SIA. 3 weeks ago my domestic flight (not SIA) got re-scheduled and I arrived very early at MNL so I went to the SIA counter and asked if they could put me on the 2 hour earlier flight to Changi. My flight from Changi to Europe would be the same. So, I would have a 5 hour lay-over in Changi instead of 3 hours. SIA replied that they could do that but asked me to pay a change fee. I declined and took my original flight. I might think it is poor customer service but I acknowledge that they were in their full right to want to charge a change fee although it is in both our interest to increase my buffer time to reduce the risk of missing my connection. However, now that they changed my next itineraries I don't hear them talking about them paying a change fee to me. It is not OK to change and provide an inferior itinerary for the same price for any customer.
RouteSingapore to Zurich
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"no dedicated crew in premium economy"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | This was the daylight flight from Singapore to Johannesburg. Check in and boarding was, as is usual quick and efficient, with a friendly welcome from the crew. There are no pre-flight drinks offered in premium economy. Drinks are offered after take off, including French Champagne, but in tiny plastic tumblers. We had utilized “book the cook”, which had a large range of options, but these are served in an economy format, which nullifies any special qualities. There are no dedicated crew in premium economy, with the result that is approximately an hour before trays are removed and drink refills are available. The flight was good, the entertainment system excellent. The crew came round often with water and fruit juice, and a second meal was served before arrival. Overall this was a good flight with excellent hard product, excellent economy class service, but not up to the standard expected for premium economy. Why do Singapore Airlines not commit to a proper Premium Economy service?
RouteSingapore to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"it was totally worth it!"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Los Angeles. I know we paid a little extra for this one-way flight, but it was totally worth it! The most comfortable, newest, economy seats we've even seen. Large screen viewer, a separate reading light, bottle of water, socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, sleeping mask, fully reclining, foot rest, complimentary alcohol, premium ice cream, etc. We will fly Singapore Airlines whenever we can in the future!
RouteSingapore to Los Angeles

"felt very disappointed"

Trip Verified | Flew with this airline because of it’s reputation, but felt very disappointed. The seats felt crammed in and narrow aisles, it was very hot on the flight and my food was disgusting.
AircraftA350-900
RouteBrisbane to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"air crew were friendly and professional"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Amsterdam. Fantastic airline with great food. The plane was quiet and the Skybed came to good use as I slept more than 8 hours. In business class, we are greeted by name and the air crew were friendly and professional. Upon arrival, I even got a friendly Happy New Year hug from a land crew that I got to know through flying SQ all the time. Big hearts to Singapore Airlines - will fly again.
RouteSingapore to Amsterdam
Date FlownDecember 2019

"given a very generic meal"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Colombo via Singapore business class. Left on Jan 27 2020 from LAX and returned Feb 21 2020. At their website we were told one can pre-book meals called 'book the cook' which was a joke, no none of the cabin crew knew anything about it. We were given a very generic meal which was nothing to rave about. I complained to the crew and they promised I would have my choice on the return flight - that did not happen either. Their website also bragged about free wifi at cruising altitude, I was able to connect for 10 mins ,after which there was no way to connect for free. Same thing happened when I logged -in under my wife's name - the cabin crew was helpless and could not help. I was told to pay to get wifi , which of-course I did not. The cabin crew were fantastic and did their best to make us feel happy but there was only so much they could do. I travelled frequently on Singapore airline about 10 yrs ago and then I switched to another airline through Hong Kong , regrettably I could not book with them due to the Corona scare in China. My seat on the A350 could not be reclined 180 degrees and my feet hit the front seat and I had to curve my body to fit the space. There was a bed of course -the flight attendant had to lower the vertical back section and fold it down to make a bed, but the hardness and the need to curve the spine made it hard to sleep on this 18 hrs from LAX and 15hrs to LAX. Sorry Singapore airlines you are no longer the top 'dog' in the business. I will think twice before going with you again.
RouteLos Angeles to Colombo via Singapore

"Overall a great flightW

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Flew Singapore Airlines Jakarta to Singapore and back. It’s still a great airline to fly. Seats was still 9 abreast on 777. Food was great. Entertainment was great, but it’s limited compared to Emirates or Qatar Airways but still acceptable. Price was expensive a bit but still worth it. Return flight in the A350 was more greater than this flight. Overall a great flight with SQ and will fly with them again.
AircraftA350 / B777