PLAY

"most miserable experience of my life"

Trip Verified | Flying with Play was the most miserable experience of my life. The booking was easy, as was the check in. There were no delays and everything went smoothly. There is a massive issue however with the fact that they don't have a phone number. Never deal with a company that can't be contacted by phone. If anything goes wrong, you're on your own. While everything outside the craft was fine, inside the plane is a different story altogether. Firstly, getting seated was an absolute farce. The lack of organisation by the cabin crew seemed to rub off on the passengers. Several people switched seats, meaning some found another person sat in their seat. I've never seen this before on such a scale and I can therefore only attribute it to the fact that the cabin crew were not checking boarding passes or directing anyone. Getting seated took longer than I've ever seen on an aircraft and at no time were the crew trying to speed things along. The plane started taxiing with passengers still stood up. The main issue with the flight was the seats. I have never seen this many rows on this type of aircraft. There is no way on earth these things should be in the air for more than an hour. I am 5ft6 and I had so little leg room that I could not physically reach down to pull my bag up. If you are 6ft+ you realistically cannot fly this airline. As if this could not be any worse, the seats recline. Yes. They recline. The room in front of me was reduced to level where I could not put my tray table down. It was 6 hours of absolute torture. Some passengers spent the entire flight stood in the aisle as they could not sit for that long. Everything on this flight is paid for separately. Fine. It's a budget airline. I get it. But water? Surely this is a basic human necessity. It was 3 Euros for the smallest bottle of water I've ever seen in my life. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Not only is it torture but it makes no financial sense. After adding in the extra legroom seat costs (you will need it), water and food, you are likely to be saving little to nothing. Take a real airline. You'll thank me. I'm sure Play will reply with their "hi thanks we're a budget airline as such" spiel, but it's not good enough. These planes should not exist. And if they do they should be flying one hour domestic, not transatlantic.
RouteWashington to Athens via Keflavik

24th July 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We certainly strive to deliver the best service possible and we are very sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our service on your recent travels with us. We appreciate your feedback and really hope you will give us another chance in the future.

"A terrible experience"

Trip Verified | A terrible experience from start to finish. I flew connecting flights both times and multiple planes left late (the first one by 3 hours!). The check-in employees are unfriendly and unhelpful, and seem to prefer gossiping and sitting on their phones rather than taking care of the line. Their system experienced a shut down on the day we left for vacation and flew back home. On top of that, they lost my luggage on our return home and I was traveling with multiple people that did receive their luggage. Will never fly this airline again, and I highly recommend that others do not as well. I took my chances flying with this airline and I wish that I had not.
RouteReykjavik to Baltimore

24th July 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied regarding your experience with PLAY and that your baggage was delayed in transit on your recent travel with us and we want to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused. We are fully aware that delayed baggage is never ideal and we go above and beyond to ensure it is delivered to its owner as quickly as possible. We strive to keep our delayed baggage process extremely clear on our website so that our passengers always know who to contact and when in unfortunate situations like this. We are terribly sorry if our website left anything unexplained and if you felt like you were not receiving the best possible service and information when contacting us. That is something we will definitely take into consideration for future improvements. Again, thank you for your feedback!

"supposed to be a cheap airline"

Trip Verified | It's supposed to be a cheap airline but with everything they charge it really isn't. Not only do they not have TV on long flights, but also outlets to charge phones. They also charge for both check in and carry on bags that are ridiculous high. 250 for a check in bag and my carry ok another 70. Oh also irs 26 for every extra pound/kilo. So the 700 plus I paid for the ticket was for the oxygen I was gracefully allowed to breath while on their aircraft. Hope you don't need to use the bathroom I'm sure there will be fee for that as well.
RouteAthens to Boston via Keflavik

24th July 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are a low-budget airline and therefore we need to charge for extra services. However, rest assured that we do not charge for lavatory use. This suits many of our passengers and we are sorry to hear you feel this way but thank you for your feedback.

"It was a total nightmare"

Trip Verified | Never again. The short story is that they left us and our two small children stranded in NY at night with no plans, support or communication when our tickets were round trip to Baltimore. We are still fighting to get reimbursed for the cost of renting a car and driving to our actual destination. It was a total nightmare. Our flight home from Dub-Kef was delayed by over 3 hrs. Causing the 1 flight a day from Kef-bwi to be missed. We were given very little communication but eventually told that all missed connections were rebooked for the next day and passengers would be taken to a hotel. We went to the hotel and eventually late that night received an email with new flight info. So far, we kept a good attitude and considered it an adventure. However when we tried to check in for the flight we couldn’t and just got error messages. So we went to the airport the next day and we’re told that the new flight was overbooked! They offered us €700 to get bumped but said it could take up to 4 days to get rebooked and there weren’t any hotels available in town anyhow! So we declined and they finally said they put us on an Iceland air flight home. But when we got the booking email it was NOT to Baltimore it was to New York! The email said they were working on flights from New York to Baltimore and would email us when it was finished. The exact time the flight finished boarding, we received emails stating that they were unable to find connecting flights and we should “kindly find our own accommodations.” Upon landing in New York (where PLAY doesn’t have any agents) we were given no further help and told to file a claim on their web site. We had to pay our own way home. Now we are trying to get reimbursed but the communication doesn’t even make sense when they bother to reply at all. It’s like starting over every time someone replies. Such a nightmare.
RouteKeflavik to Baltimore

24th July 2023 : PLAY response

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry to hear that your flight was delayed on your recent travels with us which caused you to miss your connection to BWI. In all honesty, delays are an unloving product for both passengers and the airline alike. Not only is it costly, but we are well aware that a good reputation for flawless on-time performance is highly valuable, thus we strive to keep a clean delay record for everyone’s best interest. The reason for delays is most often an unforeseen cause, which we try to avoid with all the possible precautions and actions that we can take to minimize the effect. We understand that communication is paramount in situations like this and we sincerely apologize if you did not receive sufficient information in a timely manner. Claims for compensation due to delays or cancelled flights can take a few weeks to be processed as all claims are handled in the order they come through to the system. We will be sure to forward this feedback to the relevant department. Again, thank you for the feedback.

"worst part of the flight was the seats"

Trip Verified | My wife and I just had our first experience with Play Airlines. I’m pretty certain it will be our last. First the cost: This “budget airline” tagged us for nearly $2400 r/t from Boston to Dublin in late June. (We booked months in advance.) That was less confiscatory than the other airlines, but hardly a bargain. That $2400 got us a checked bag and carry on per person. It didn’t buy us even a package of peanuts during the 9-10 hours we spent in the air. At one point I asked the flight attendant if I could have a cup of tap water. She said she could sell me a small bottle for three euro. Play is a hub and spoke airline, so all flights go through Iceland. That turns 5.5-6.5 hour nonstop flight into a 10-12 hour affair, with layover. On the long transatlantic flight, there is no seatback entertainment, not even any WiFi for purchase—which is odd since Play tries to make money off of virtually every other aspect of the flight. If it could charge for a trip to the bathroom, I’m pretty sure it would. The worst part of the flight, however, was the seats. I’m six feet tall. I accept that I’ll never get any sleep in coach. This was the first time, however, that neither my wife nor I could sit comfortably for even an hour—at least on the trip from Boston to Iceland. (The trip from Iceland to Dublin was more comfortable.) The seat cushions were wafer thin. There was little lumbar support. It goes without saying that there was no legroom, but the pitch—the distance between my seat and the one in front—was the smallest I’ve ever experienced. My wife and I had to switch seats when the chap in front reclined even a bit. Play’s penny-pinching apparently extends to its airport staff as well. We showed up at Dublin airport at 835 am on July 1 to check in for our return flight home. The queue was already packed. To deal with it, Play had one poor beleaguered attendant at the counter. (After about 75 mins of this they did bring in a second attendant.) We spent about 90 minutes in line waiting just to check our bags. To be fair, our trip off season would cost about half what we paid for peak travel. Honestly, I wouldn’t fly Play again if it gave me a free ticket. This isn’t “no frills.” It’s factory farming disguised as airline travel, with passengers penned in like chickens, valuable only for the dollar signs on our heads. Pay the extra money and get treated like a human being. We will.
RouteDublin to Boston via Reykjavik

4th July 2023 : PLAY response

First of all, we want to thank you for taking the time to write to us about your negative experience. Our main goal is to deliver top service. That's why we appreciate hearing from our passengers in order to improve and we take this very seriously. We are a low-budget airline and therefore we charge for extra services. Moreover, in such a modern-day era, most people have their own form of entertainment to be enjoyed on board during the flight, whether this would be a mobile phone, laptop or tablet. This suits many of our passengers and we are sorry to hear you feel this way but thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our passengers, whether it is negative or positive. This is how we can improve on what is needed and keep doing what is good.

"my advice is to be prepared"

Trip Verified | My experience flying to Dublin with Play was a positive experience. I had flown with a similar airline in the past and knew that I had to be prepared to follow the guidelines for baggage precisely and bring any food/drink that I wanted onboard to avoid additional costs. My return flight was not a positive experience. It was very stressful and there was almost no communication from Play during this stressful time. Our flight had been delayed and the communication about that delay was confusing or silent. The plane was not there at the time we were expected to board and there was no communication between that boarding time and the actual time we would be able to board. My group had a connecting flight in Reykjavík for 3pm that we realized we would miss, but when we asked flight attendants, they were unable to answer any questions. We did miss our connections flight and the only information we were told was to exit the airport to attend a meeting where we would find out more information. This is the situation I am most unsatisfied with. Exiting the airport felt like a bad idea, but that was the direction that was given if you wanted to receive more information. When we got to the meeting, there was no representative from Play. Only a man from the hotel shuttle service that told us Play was going to provide a room for us to stay overnight. No other options were presented. Due to a flight I had to catch in Boston for my friends wedding, I knew I had to fly out that day. So, I had to purchase a flight with a different airline and just hope to be refunded. Since Play had told us to exit the airport, I missed the next flight to Boston because there wasn’t enough time to gather my boarding pass and go through TSA. Luckily, I was able to catch the last flight out of Reykjavík and everything eventually worked out. I received an email that said my flight would be fully refunded and provided with some compensation, which I appreciate. I would still recommend Play because the flight is one of the most affordable options. However, my advice to anyone choosing this airlines is to be prepared. Do your research and read the policies closely because you will not be able to communicate with Play directly. After rebooking the flight with a different airline I spent the next hour or two researching Play airlines policies and that helped me feel better about receiving a refund for my flight. Play did not ever provide the option to rebook a flight with a different airline, or that in some cases they will rebook a flight and transport you to the rear by airport. The website I used to research policies is here: https://airlinespolicy.com/cancellation-policy/play-airlines-cancellation-policy/ I do not recommend calling them, customer service hung up twice.
RouteDublin to Reykjavík

4th July 2023 : PLAY response

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We're sorry to hear about the delay on your recent travels with us and your missed connection. Though we're not sure this applies to your case, but sometimes when bookings come through to us from a third party website the contact details for the passenger are unavailable. This results in all important notifications not being sent directly to the passenger. We know that communication is paramount and should a delay or cancellation occur, the flow of information is more important than ever. Our main goal is to deliver top service. That's why we appreciate hearing from our passengers in order to improve and we take this very seriously. Again, thank you for your feedback!

"Ice cold customer service"

Trip Verified | Ice cold customer service. Charge heavily for regular baggage, even for the standard carry on bag that is ok with all international airlines. They are just here to take your money. Worst experience ever! Never ever flying with them! No flight meals and no movies. They just want to reach you from point A to B after taking all your money for every little thing they can find. Flight was purchased on kiwi and was supposed to be United but they had a tie up with Play Airlines. Flight went back to the gate after boarding and delayed by 1 hour so missed connecting flight!
RouteGothenburg to Washington

3rd July 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. The checked bag cannot exceed the total dimension of 158cm, if it is larger and heavier than that then it needs to be marked as heavy item and we charge per kilogram over the allowed 20kg. Moreover, PLAY is a low-budget airline and therefore extra services such as additional bags, meals and booking changes are not included in the price. We always appreciate hearing from our passengers, whether it is negative or positive. This is how we can improve on what is needed and keep doing what is good.

"booked without cancellation insurance"

Not Verified | Do not use this airline! Terrible customer service! I am 19 years old and planned a once in a lifetime trip with friends. My friend booked the tickets and unknowingly they were booked without cancellation insurance. I was the only person in my group that did not receive my passport in time for the trip. Did all the things I could do in order to secure it in time (paid to have it expedited, contacted my local congressman, drove to wait on line to another state without an appointment to a passport agency, and called daily). The company only communicates through social media apps and a 3 minute conversation turned into days of back and forth since you have to wait for a representative to get back to you. They will not refund my money of $700 even though I was unaware that we did not have non-refundable tickets. My only option was to change to another trip which included paying a change of ticket fee and any difference in the cost of the new ticket (which would have been at least $1,000.) I stated that I could not do that since I wasn’t sure if my passport would come in time for this newly booked trip. If I didn’t receive it, I would have to pay another change of flight fee, along with another ticket. This could have gone on until I received my passport, which I have not received yet. The company is not willing to budge and do the right thing. I would never use this airline again.
RouteNew York to Reykjavik

27th June 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for the review. We are sorry that you are dissatisfied with our Customer Service and policies. As is stated in the Terms & Conditions, all flight tickets are non-refundable without a Cancellation Protection. Moreover, the Protection does not cover lack of travel documentation. It is always the passenger's responsibility to have the correct travel documentation, such as a valid passport, when traveling overseas. We thank you for your feedback.

"flight was very comfortable"

Not Verified | I flew for the first time with this airline in June 2023. The flight was great and one thing that stood out to me is that they were extremely accommodating to people with peanut allergies. I don't have a peanut allergy, but I do have someone in my family with one (although he wasn't on the flight with us). The airline made more than one announcement asking people to refrain from eating peanuts. I really appreciated knowing that. Besides that, the flight was very comfortable, lots of leg room, and affordable.
RouteNew York to Madrid via New York

27th June 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for flying PLAY! We‘re happy to hear you had a positive experience flying with us. We always appreciate hearing from our passengers, whether it is negative or positive. This is how we can improve on what is needed and keep doing what is good.

"All round good value for money"

Trip Verified | This was the first time I flew Play and I was happy with all aspects of their product. I flew out of Stansted and had to get from Gatwick by bus which was a bit of a struggle. Seats were nice and flight personnel were pleasant. We flew to Stewart, USA via Keflavik. We had a two hour stopover and I just sat in transit area and waited. Play is a low cost carrier so you pay for what you need. I usually travel with an under the seat bag so I bought no extras. At Stewart there is a bus that meets the plane and takes you to Manhattan for 25 dollars. I had a friend meet me though. All round good value for money.
RouteStansted to Stewart via Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2023

16th June 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and let us know how happy you are. We strive to deliver top service and we love feedback like this!