PLAY

"do not expect a helpful response"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | My boyfriend and I recently flew from Europe to Washington DC with a stop in Reykjavik. We had never heard of PLAY before but decided to give them a try because they were cheap and new. When we arrived at Reykjavik for a 1.5 hours stopover, we were told that the flight to DC had been replaced and we had to get new boarding passes. We (and many other passengers) ran to the service desk only to find out that they had separated us. I told them that we had paid extra in advance to choose our seats so that we would be sure to sit together in the long haul flight but they said too bad. After boarding several people had the same seats and people were standing up trying to find anywhere to sit. Looking through the other reviews on this platform, I can see that this seems to be a recurring problem for PLAY. When we got to DC they had lost our luggage in Reykjavik. We waited 2 days without any word and then on the third day luckily the luggage was suddenly delivered to our hotel. We had to shop for replacement clothing and toiletries and when we made a claim after they told us you can only claim USD 100 per person. In their response they said that we could have rented clothes instead of buying. I don't know where you go and rent normal clothes and shoes so I replied to their customer service representative that perhaps they should give this advice in advance and also on where to go a rent clothes in a strange city. Moreover, they said that we should have brought necessary extra clothing in our hand luggage - bearing in mind that you also have to pay extra for carry on luggage! This response is so absurd and the only really positive side to it is that I now get to show this email to friends who can then have a good laugh. All in all, PLAY feels like a discount airline with no on air entertainment or even water and we will most likely not be flying with them again. I do not expect a helpful response from PLAY as I have read their comments to the other reviews on here which seem to be very standard and insincere. I am writing this review because this is a new airline that I had not heard about before and I want to warn other potential passengers.
RouteCopenhagen to Washington via Reykjavik

10th August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your flight was delayed and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. In all honesty, delays and canceled flights are an unloving product for both passengers and the airline alike. Not only is it costly, but we are well aware that a good reputation for flawless on-time performance is highly valuable. Thus we strive to keep a clean delay record for everyone’s best interest. The reason for delays, or cancelations, is most often an unforeseen cause, which we try to avoid with all the possible precautions and actions that we can take to minimize the effect. We understand that delayed or canceled flights, and missed connections, are far from ideal. We want to offer our sincerest apologies for this unfortunate disruption to your travel plans. If you felt the communication or information given on our behalf was lacking, we truly apologize for that. Due to the extremely high volume of incoming inquiries our once quick reply time slowed down, and for that we are sincerely sorry.

"the most painful experience"

Trip Verified |  Horrible. My plane was one of several delayed due to a rainstorm. There were at least 2 other flights from Baltimore and Washington that also missed their connecting flights. Most of us missed our flight but less than ten minutes. I’m not complaining about that, I get it missing a connection sucks, what happened after though is the most painful experience of my life. We were told by the staff to go out and wait for a representative by baggage claim. That they would help us with new flights. There is no one. We realize this pretty quick and try to connect to PLAY. They have no phone number. There is no way to get a response. We even tried DMing them on Instagram. Nothing. Not from email, not from Facebook messenger not from their AI service bot. And we wait for 4 hours before someone finally comes and tells us that no one actually work at this airport from PLAY. Of the 250 people waiting half got an email that their flight had been rebooked. We never got a email to this day saying our flight was rebooked. We had to pay 700$ for a new one. We had to go on to rebook a new flight, stay the night and pay travel expenses( it’s about 80$ for a taxi in Iceland). In total about 1,200 spent because of this. Now here I am a week later no refund and I just got an email response asking if anyone had reached out to me yet.
RouteBoston to Stockholm via Keflavík

10th August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry that your flight was delayed and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. In all honesty, delays and canceled flights are an unloving product for both passengers and the airline alike. Not only is it costly, but we are well aware that a good reputation for flawless on-time performance is highly valuable. Thus we strive to keep a clean delay record for everyone’s best interest. The reason for delays, or cancelations, is most often an unforeseen cause, which we try to avoid with all the possible precautions and actions that we can take to minimize the effect. If you felt the communication or information given on our behalf was lacking, we truly apologize for that. Due to the extremely high volume of incoming inquiries our once quick reply time slowed down, and for that we are sincerely sorry.

"Unprofessional airline"

Trip Verified | Our Play had about 30 passengers trying to make a connection in Reykjavík. The flight was delayed over an hour, out of anyone’s control, but the way this was handled afterwards is atrocious. No communication between our Play flight and the flight taking off occurred while in air, our flight attendants were all clueless, no one knew what gate the next flight would be taking off from or if it was still there. I was able to look up all of this and tell people in the seats around me. We sprinted to our gate but unfortunately it was already closed, even though the aircraft was still parked right outside. Half that flight was standing by the gate wondering why they couldn’t let us on. Zero communication happened between the delayed flight and the missed connection, even though several enquiries were made and both were Play aircrafts. Play made everybody exit the airport, shuttled us to hotels without telling us the location of our hotel or if a new flight was booked. Several unaccompanied minors were involved in this. Currently still waiting to hear on the details of our reimbursement if we’re even getting one. Unprofessional airline.
RouteCopenhagen to Washington via Reykjavík
Date FlownAugust 2023

10th August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry that you had to experience a delay on your recent travels with us and we apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused. We are well aware that a good reputation for flawless on-time performance is highly valuable, thus we strive to keep a clean delay record for everyone’s best interest. The reason for delays is most often an unforeseen cause, which we try to avoid with all the possible precautions and actions that we can take to minimize the effect. If you felt the communication or information given on our behalf was lacking, we truly apologize for that. Due to the extremely high volume of incoming inquiries our once quick reply time slowed down, and for that we are sincerely sorry.

"Play is a terrible airline"

Not Verified | Play is a terrible airline to travel with. The travel conditions are miserable, there is NO TV, NO Wi-Fi, No way to charge phone or any electronic devices, food IS NOT provided, food is sold, they have few options being sold is COSTLY, all food items are charged in Euro, NO dollars. The play does not give travelers baggage, even though tickets note that travelers are allowed a package. They have HIGH charges in baggage. When travelling recently, we were charged to pay for carriers' baggage to take inside the cabin. Things that do not exist with other airlines companies. THERE ARE NO BAGS ALLOWED in the cabin, except for very small backpacks. We had a terrible experience with PLAY, this has been our first and last time traveling with PLAY, and WILL NEVER RECOMMEND PEOPLE TO TRAVEL WITH PLAY based on the conditions highlighted above. Play staff will say that they are a low-cost traveling airline agency, but when you add up the money spent with BAGGAGE, FOOD and also traveling in such miserable conditions, especially when traveling with kids, you will spend more money. This leads to experiencing HIGH STRESS. It is better to use another AIRLINE agency that is more organized and more reliable than PLAY WHEN LOOKING AT ALL OF THESE FACTORS. PLAY as a company on its whole is disorganized, there is LACK OF COMMUNICATION between staff from one airport to another airport. We had an issue in ICELAND when we were requested to double pay carriers' baggage that was taken in the cabin that we already paid for in the departure location. Staff at this Iceland airport WASN'T Knowledgeable, did not have a better understanding of their system, and COULD NOT COMPREHEND despite telling them that carriers' baggage was already paid at the departure location. We had this issue resolved after requesting to speak to the airport SUPERVISOR who was nice, professional and understandable. Supervisor easily controlled the matter and informed its staff that all was okay with us. Although I was very upset at the time, I appreciated the assistance from the Iceland Airport evening supervisor. Please, supervisor to continue to provide good customer service to your clients.
Date FlownAugust 2023

10th August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you feel this way. Upon booking it is stated very clearly what is included in your flight ticket. We are a low-budget airline and therefore we need to charge for extra services, meals and drinks on board.

"I will not be flying them again"

Trip Verified | Play airlines is a low budget airline so I expected the flight to not be super comfortable. What I did not expect was how terrible their customer service is or how antiquated their system is. I booked a round trip flight to Berlin from New York and opted for the basic economy rate on the outbound flight but upgraded to the FLEX rate on the return trip. Amongst other things it included, there was a free one time date change. A flight price difference could apply but there would be $0 charge for changing dates. I knew there was a possibility of needing to change dates so I upgraded. When going to change my flight, it had been saying $0 for weeks. The day I went to officially change it, one day before the original flight departure and within the allowable timeframe, there was all of a sudden a $289 date change charge. It was impossible to speak with anyone on the phone as they only have online chat support. The online representative dismissed it saying oh it must just be a fare difference nothing I can do. How is your system that bad that things just show up wrong. I also looked at the price of the flight now versus what I initially paid and it was not a $289 difference, so I have no idea where that number came from. I had to pay the amount because I had no other option. So I essentially paid $289 more than I should have plus paying the additional for the FLEX rate that did not matter in the end. The return flight plane was actually nice and comfortable, especially if you upgrade to the front of the plane. I considered flying with them again but after multiple attempts to reach out and no one able to give me a real answer or refund the incorrect amount, I will not be flying them again.
RouteStewart to Berlin via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2023

10th August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for your review. Our flight prices go by supply and demand, and can therefore fluctuate. The pricing strategy works so that there are only a certain number of seats offered for a certain price; once those seats sell out the next price takes over and this is usually higher. If the price right when you were changing was higher than expected it simply means that there were fewer seats left on that flight and at the higher rate. The FLEX option only allows waiving of the changing fee, not airfare difference. We always appreciate hearing from our passengers, whether it is negative or positive. This is how we can improve on what is needed and keep doing what is good.

"I had a great experience"

Trip Verified | I had a great experience with PLAY. Flying out of Hamilton to Stockholm via Keflavik was an experience I would recommend, from the speedy check in with my personal item and paid for carry on bag, to the passenger loading, to the flight itself I had not one bad thing to say. All of my flights arrived on time or ahead of schedule. On all flights I was either in a row by myself or had the middle seat empty while I shared the row with another solo traveler. I had downloaded movies and Documentaries on my Ipad and was able to watch them comfortably on seats that I had no issues with. There were options for food and drink on the plane, but I brought my own drinks and snacks.
RouteToronto to Stockholm via Keflavik

10th August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and let us know how happy you are. We strive to deliver top service and we love feedback like this!

"could not have ask for anything more"

Trip Verified | We needed to make an impromptu visit to family in the UK, and we had recently heard about this new airline, Play. Normally, we fly high-end airlines with all the alcohol, food, entertainment, pillows, blankets, and ear buds. For a sudden visit in mid-July, this was going to be a costly trip. Therefore, although we were full of much trepidation, we booked round trip flights from Washington DC to Glasgow via Reykjavik on this new game changing airline. Then, we read the reviews and fear struck. After reading the reviews we were full of doubts. We were just hoping to get there. Four flights total. All flights were on time arriving ahead of schedule. The staff from initial check in to flight attendants and the pilot were all very enthusiastic, professional, and responsive to passengers. We could not have ask for anything more and will definitely fly Play again. And I must comment on the legroom and the comfort level of the seats. The planes are new and well designed with much more comfort and space than others. Plus we saved some money and had a great experience. My only advice is be prepared. Food and beverages are available for purchase in flight. Although the prices aren’t horrid, you can save some money by bringing your own food and snacks on the plane. Also bring a water bottle and fill it up before take off. I saw many people with pre downloaded movies on their devices. I just enjoyed a book.
RouteWashington to Glasgow via Keflavik

2nd August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We're happy to hear you had an overall good journey with us and hope to welcome you on board again in the future.

"Apologies simply does not cover it"

Not Verified | Our flights were booked four weeks in advance for a family wedding. We are working professionals and took the time off of work and paid the necessary fees for so called "service". We were at the airport nearly five hours in advance of this flight. We were the first people to speak with the Play airline check in. We were not able to board because a "green check mark” on our ticket because their site timed out when we tried to online check in on multiple occasions. This is clearly an administrative issue. 1. They did not have a plane available with the correct amount of seats. 2. They were unable to rebook us. 3 . Their site timed out, not allowing us to check in 4. Their customer service “representatives” were incompetent and did not have a functional computer or clearly the cognitive ability to direct 30 passengers in the same scenario and scoffed at our concerns. We and 30 other passengers were told to go home. There was no apology, no rebooking, and no assistance at the airport from any of the PLAY representatives. This is unacceptable. A 400$ compensation package was offered. Additional costs for flights on another airline are close to double what we initially paid. "Apologies" simply does not cover it. Also nearly one month later, we are still pending a refund for the second flights. $1746. I have never paid more money for less service in my life. 0/10.
RouteStewart Intl to Dublin via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2023

2nd August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your negative experience. Our main goal is to deliver top service, that's why we appreciate hearing from our passengers in order to improve and we take this very seriously. We will investigate this further. Again we'd like to thank you for letting us know about this.

"reduced our chances of boarding the flight"

Trip Verified | I am writing this review to express my deep dissatisfaction and disappointment with the travel experience we encountered with Fly Play on flight OG102. I must acknowledge our own contribution to the problem as we were running just a little bit late for the flight and we fully understand and accept that responsibility. However, what followed left us perplexed and disheartened. Upon realizing that the flight was delayed by approximately 50 minutes, my husband and I, experienced travelers, considered this a fortunate turn of events. We proceeded to the check baggage counter, which was unmanned – understandable given our tardiness. We decided to get through TSA and inquire about gate checking our baggage at the gate. To our surprise, we encountered an extremely rude and unreasonable gate attendant. We politely requested if we could gate check our bag. Unfortunately, her response was an immediate refusal without providing any explanation. This was particularly disheartening as gate check had been a feasible option in the past, including with Play in September. Our attempts to seek clarification or speak to someone else were met with further hostility. The gate attendant claimed to be the sole authority and refused any further assistance, which left us feeling unheard and disrespected. The situation escalated when the gate attendant intentionally covered her name tag and displayed an offensive gesture towards us. We were unable to board the flight and learned from the chat bot that we were labeled as "did not fly due to inappropriate behavior." This statement is categorically false, and we were relieved when Play ultimately offered discounted tickets as compensation after hours of pleading via chat and trying to come to some resolution. Nonetheless, we firmly believe that the entire situation could and should have been handled more professionally and with greater courtesy by your employee, who represents your company's values and image. While we understand that being late reduced our chances of boarding the flight, we firmly believe that every passenger deserves to be treated with respect and kindness. We would have gladly accepted any reasonable explanation for not being able to gate check our bag. Instead, the encounter left us with a sense of shock and disappointment that overshadowed the entire travel experience. We sincerely hope that this matter will be taken seriously and addressed appropriately to prevent similar incidents in the future. As loyal customers, we believe in the value of constructive feedback, and we trust that Fly Play will endeavor to ensure a more positive and respectful experience for all passengers.
RouteBaltimore to Keflavik

2nd August 2023 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review about your negative experience. We're sorry to hear about this incident at the airport. Regarding the gate check-in for your bag; it is not possible to check in baggage to the hold at the gate. If you arrive too late in time for the designated check-in time then unfortunately you have missed that flight and need to purchase a new one. It is not possible to change your flight after the check-in has closed. Of course, this could've been explained better to you at the gate and we're sorry to hear that this was not the case. We will be sure to forward this incident to the relevant department for further investigation. All our employees go through standard training, and are provided with comprehensive knowledge and understanding that racism and discrimination is a behavior that is not tolerated within PLAY. All our customers should be treated with respect at all stages in their journey with us. Again, we want to thank you for the feedback.

"Fantastic experience for the money"

Not Verified | NY-Stewart (SWF)- Keflavik (KEF) round trip. Fantastic experience for the money. Yes, there isn't any WiFi nor any kind of IFE, and I do have to knock off points for that, but it's also a budget airline. You get what you pay for. The seats are very comfy, which is not a given in economy class for 6,1 figure like mine. The service was very good, with attendants at my beck and call. The planes were very new too. The food items were very top notch quality, actually worth the prices. But best of all, it's very very cheap. One round trip cost me exactly what a one-way on other airlines would have. Will be using this again for my next Iceland or trans-Atlantic sojourn.
RouteNew York-Stewart to Keflavik