PLAY

“a very nice experience”

Trip Verified | It was my first time flying with PLAY, and I have no complaints whatsoever. I booked a roundtrip flight from Hamilton, CA, to Berlin, Germany, for $770 (US), PLAY Flex with seat choice in the front of the plane, and one 23 kilo piece of checked luggage included. What more can you ask for at this price!! The crews were friendly, the seats have plenty of leg room, the plane was clean. There are no screens, free movies etc., and you have to pay for drinks, i.e. 3 Euros for a cup of coffee, that's less than at the airport. I was happy to pay for my coffee, and to read a book instead of watching a movie, because I saved about $1200, compared to a flight on a US airline out of Buffalo, NY, where I live! To all those writing bad reviews regarding carry-on luggage: I've seen people carrying large duffle bags onto the plane, or a rather large suitcase, a backpack, AND a stuffed shopping bag type of bag, and the crews were very helpful finding room for those bags in the cabin! What are these people complaining about? My personal opinion: Pay a little more when making your reservation, check your luggage, and quit complaining. I don't understand the "I have to take my entire household into the cabin" mentality at all... And remember, if there are issues at the airport with carry-on luggage, or a long wait for your checked luggage, it's not on the airline, it's on the airport employees. And that is the only complaint I have, the check in people at BER are very unfriendly! But those are Swissport employees, not PLAY employees! Thank you, PLAY, for a very nice experience!
RouteHamilton to Berlin via Keflavík
Date FlownJune 2024

“customer service is terrible”

Trip Verified | Sometime ago, I booked a flight to Iceland at the end of this month. A week ago I broke my knee and the duration of recovery extends past my proposed trip. While I neglected to purchase the trip insurance originally, I shared a doctors note restricting my travel during recovery, a detailed explanation of events, and a simple request to this airline to change my flight without the associated fees that will amount to over $400 US. I complained to their customer service dept, their CRO department, and have only gotten the same response - that I should have gotten trip insurance and they will not offer a trip change without the fees associated with a change. I feel as though this is any undue hardship upon me especially considering my documented injury. I will never fly with PLAY again, and hold them in low esteem. Their customer service is terrible and I do not recommend them.
RouteDulles to Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2024

"offers little to no discount"

Trip Verified | Consumer beware! Icelandic Airline “PLAY” really ought to be called “PAY” airlines, with the missing “L” standing for “LIES.” The strategy behind this company’s low fares is to upcharge on everything possible. Couples buying tickets together will be placed at opposite ends of the plane and then charged over $100US to change seats to sit together. In terms of luggage, only a carryon backpack to be kept under the seat is free; a carry-on bag is between $80-130 and checked bags are up to $190/piece. Everything onboard during the flight is also upcharged—even water. There's no wifi, video screens, radio channels, blankets or pillows. On the airline’s website, the measurements of permissible carry-on luggage is inaccurate, likely to force customers to check more luggage. Contrary to the website, rollerboards that are 9.5”X13”X23” fit in PLAY’s Airbus A320 overhead bins perfectly well. Once all the upcharges are taken into account, “PLAY” airlines offers little to no discount from “basic economy” on major international carriers.
AircraftAirbus A320
RouteWashington to Amsterdam via Keflavik

"wrongly denied boarding"

Trip Verified | After having completed the first leg of my flight from Boston to Reykjavik, I was wrongly denied boarding on my onward flight to Berlin. I was pulled out of the regular waiting line to have the dimensions of my carry-on luggage checked. The person checking the lines before the check-in station told me to put it into a special box for checking the dimensions of pieces of luggage. This had been the third time in a row that Play intercepted me and other passengers in Reykjavik en route to their final destinations to check the dimensions of my luggage. On the previous two occasions, I had passed this test without problems with the same carry-on roller that I had used on all my flights for several years. However, this time Play had apparently changed the box for luggage measurements, as one of the people at check-in confirmed. Another lady who checked in passengers at the check-in station demanded immediate payment of 80 Euros. I noted that other passengers were also distressed, and one fellow passenger left her little suitcase roller behind, leaving the airport employees from security and at check-in in a state of disarray as they did not know what to do with the pieces of luggage that people had left behind because they were unable or unwilling to pay. The situation was chaotic and felt unsafe. I pointed out to the lady at the check-in station that the same piece of luggage had passed inspection by Play Airlines twice before and that this must be some kind of mistake. She refused to hear my argument and insisted on immediate payment with credit card. I told her that I wanted to talk to her supervisor. She told me she was the supervisor. I then told her that I wanted to complain about her decision to Play Airlines and wanted to write down her name. She turned around her ID tag so that I could not see or record her name. She claimed I had been rude to her. I offered to pay the 80 Euros to let me board the airplane and I would follow up with Play Airlines later. However, she denied me boarding despite my repeated assurances that I was willing to pay the 80 Euros in front of security personnel, who were also present at the counter. While boarding was ongoing, I contacted Airport Police around 5:50 am, who said that this incident was outside of their authority since it was a private contract between me and the airline. I then was able to locate another Play representative at the service desk in the same terminal (I think it was D). She told me to write a WhatsApp message to Play Airlines. I wrote the message but received no timely response. Since I had urgent business to do in Germany, and since there were no other Play Airlines flights going out to Berlin, I booked a flight with Iceland Air and was able to continue with my journey with a delay of 11⁄2 hours but was forced to pay for the ticket. Play Airlines did not reply to me until a few hours later by WhatsApp (see WhatsApp protocol) and refused to reimburse me for the ticket. They claimed that complaining to the airline constitutes rude behavior and therefore the lady was within her rights to deny my boarding. Beware of ground personnel and complaints. Inexperienced staff, random selection of people from the lines at check- in who are squeezed for $.Possibly profiling passengers based on accent and nationality and take out their frustrations. Low-cost airline - good start but getting greedy and quality deteriorating.
RouteBoston to Berlin via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2024

“crew was eager to help”

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Boarded by bus on an distant location, A320N on a very good condition, crew was young people friendly and eager to help passengers to place carry-ons to the bins. Legroom was tight, I was lucky my next seat was left empty and the flight was barer able. We departed on time. 20 min after departure they served coffee (no free) and 3 hours within the flight, they served lunch from Buy on board Menu. Flight was 95% full and almost all passengers transferring to North American destinations.
AircraftA320n
RouteAthens to Reykjavík

23rd May 2024 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We truly appreciate getting all feedback from our customers, and hope we can welcome you on board with us again in the future.

"demanded us to pay 80 Euros"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Flight OG700 from Keflavik (Iceland) to Berlin (Germany). When boarding, (a group consisting of 6, thereof several minors) the service desk person (attendant) asked us to show our boarding cards. This turned out to be tedious because we had more than one booking reference. And because we had done the check-in procedure online, we had the boarding cards in our email (not printed). The attendant ordered us to get off the queue and to gather together as a group. She then requested my wife to check whether her personal item would fit in the corresponding metal frame. Though I had measured this cabin suitcase at home (thought it would fit), the wheels would not fit by less than 1 cm. She demanded us to pay 80 Euros at the boarding gate, otherwise she would refuse us to board the plane. I think that this behaviour speaks for itself. 1. We had obviously not intention to betray the flight company (since actually the body of the case would have fit) 2. The percentage of the violation of the flyplay regulation does not correspond to the amount demanded. 3. Obviously it was the personal decision of the attendant to ask for this amount, therefore the decision came from her arbitrary mood at this point of time. I will remember this incident as an arbitrary abuse of "power by authority" and the absence of tolerance. My guess is that I will rather book our next flights with Icelandair instead. Cabin staff were very friendly, but this could not make up for the enlightening occurance which we had at the gate.
RouteKeflavik ro Berlin

23rd May 2024 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. We truly appreciate your insights, and we're sorry to hear about the challenging check-in experience you encountered at KEF airport. At PLAY, our baggage policies are designed to ensure a smooth and consistent experience for all passengers. During the booking process, you get the option to select your preferred baggage allowance and our guidelines are clearly outlined on our website during the booking process, in our FAQs, and during online check-in.  Our airport staff uses standardized equipment to ensure that all baggage complies with the specified size and weight limits. If your baggage exceeds the allowance specified in your booking, the appropriate charges are applied according to our policies. Your comments are invaluable to us, and we hope to regain your trust in our service on your future travels with us. Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention.

"Will fly them again"

Trip Verified | flight with snacks and coffee. Check in easy. Communication very good on flight. Seats recline and are okay. Toilets were kept clean. Will fly them again.
AircraftA320 neo
RouteStansted to Hamilton via Keflavik

23rd May 2024 : PLAY response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and let us know how happy you are. We strive to deliver top service and we love feedback like this!

“shouldn't be called customer support”

Not Verified | I flew with them in Dec 2023, I was stuck in Reykjavík because I missed my connecting flight to Washington. They sent me an email saying I can book stay and rescheduled me on a flight next day. Long story short they were supposed to refund me the money, now the interesting part is their customer service team responds to me (I have 5 emails) saying they cannot contact their own claims team and that they cannot help me. The best part is when you force them to respond they keep coming up with terms like "Several weeks", then when you stress further they start responding "8 weeks" then they start telling you from which point they count "8 weeks" and the clock to 8 weeks is reset every time your claim is shifted to a new department. To be honest now I have started enjoying this, you should try them, haven't had such mind boggling replies from any customer support team ever. They keep responding whatever they want, it shouldn't even be called customer support.
RouteFrankfurt to Baltimore
Date FlownDecember 2023

8th April 2024 : PLAY response

Thank you for the review. We are sincerely sorry for the inconveniences caused by this disruption to your travels. We can see that your claim was sent to our accounting department on the 3rd of April and is now waiting there to be finalized. It takes around 8 weeks for the payments to go through and we are very sorry to keep you waiting this long, but we can assure you that you will receive your compensation. We truly appreciate your patience.

“All flights on time and problem-free”

Trip Verified | This is a fairly new airline from Iceland. It's a low-cost model meaning that you pay for everything, either in a bundle, or separately. They have no in-flight entertainment so bring your own. Some planes don't have phone/device chargers. What they do have is a friendly crew and comfortable seats. I've used them twice now, once in 2023 and again in 2024. All flights were on time and problem-free. Some reviewers slam them for the low-cost model but if you understand what you're getting and plan ahead, this is a great airline that will get you where they fly at a significantly lower cost than other airlines. On the segment from KEF to BWI we were in the front third of seats that had extra leg room and a table strapped into the middle seat to make it unusable and allow for the aisle and window passenger to have extra room. I hadn't expected that but it was a nice surprise. Some planes have phone chargers and so don't so be prepared.
AircraftA340 neo
RouteBaltimore to Amsterdam
Date FlownMarch 2024

8th April 2024 : PLAY response

Thank you for the review and for telling us about your experience flying with us. We truly appreciate it and hope we can welcome you on board again in the future.

“we are still waiting for our refund”

Trip Verified | In December 2023 we booked a return flight for the whole family from Germany to Iceland for our planned family vacation in August 2024. On March 3rd we were informed that all our flights were canceled. So we could choose between “an alternative flight” or “full refund”. However, since no alternative flight was available, we opted for a “refund”. PLAY promised a refund within 3-5 business days. Now 10 days later we are still waiting for our refund. Conclusion: This airline does not work and is not reliable. They are neither able to fly a plane nor able to issue the refund with an acceptable delay. I strongly advise against using this airline.
RouteFrankfurt to Reykjavík
Date FlownMarch 2024

8th April 2024 : PLAY response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this necessary change in our schedule may have caused you. We understand that having your flight canceled can be frustrating and disruptive to your travel plans. We sent a notification with options to all affected passengers as soon as possible, allowing them the opportunity to make alternative arrangements. If you chose the option of full refund, the refund is processed to the card used to purchase with. If you booked through a third party website, it could be that they used a different card to pay for the booking. You, therefore, need to request a refund to your card from the third party you booked with. Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused by the cancellation of your flight. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on board again in the future and provide you with a smoother and more enjoyable travel experience. If you have any further concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer service team, who will be more than happy to assist you.