Malaysia Airlines

"Customer Service is poor"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Kuala Lumpur. I bought a return business class with MAS last year for trip with my family to Sydney Australia. The problems started with our inability to utilise the on-demand dining service due to an error on their website which we were told was due to a system upgrade. As regular fliers we chalked this down to one of those things that every company goes through and didn't think more if it. On my return flight, I again went to check in online and use the service but again online check-in and dine on demand was unavailable. Again thought nothing of it until I arrived at Sydney airport. Not only did I arrive to a closed check-in counter with no ground staff available. I was told (eventually by Sydney airport staff) that the flight time had been changed and clearly I had not been notified despite MAS having my mobile and email address. Attempts to contact MAS customer service were useless and I eventually had to purchase a 1 way ticket on the day with QR in order to get back home on time. I raised a complaint via MAS customer centre only to be kept on hold for long periods of time and I was repeatedly told that I may not have been informed of the flight change time due to what became the infamous "system upgrade" and the excessive wait times were due to my record not being found due to the "system upgrade". I have made repeated attempts to contact MAS customer service and management team for over a year to no avail. The most I have received is a luke warm "we are looking into it message" from a customer service agent. Customer Service is poor to say the least. For the money their premium tickets cost, there is far much better value for money from other airlines.
RouteSydney to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"awful customer service"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Flew Malaysia Airlines from Phuket to London via Kuala Lumpur. Awful experience, awful customer service. They emailed me after I had departed for the airport to say that my flight had been brought forward a few hours. How can they possible leave it so late and expect me to arrive in time? Not even a phone call. Actually, they didn't move the flight forward - they cancelled my original flight and decided to put me on an earlier one. I then had problems with seats, food and so on. My complaint took more than 6 weeks before I received a totally inadequate reply. Never using them again.
RoutePhuket to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2018

"unexpectedly disappointed"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Kuching. I requested a cup of water and the cabin crew told me that all cabin crew are busy preparing food, therefore no one is able to get me a cup of water. Furthermore, she asked me to turn off the service light above me. My experience with Malaysia Airline was unexpectedly disappointed. For the price I paid, I should not be getting the service of a budget airline.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Kuching
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Most cabin staff very good"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Jakarta Terminal 3 to Kuala Lumpur. the check-in service was fast and the ground staff was very helpful to accommodate my request to send my baggage directly to Singapore although i have a 9 hr lay over in Kuala Lumpur. The flight was delayed for more than an hour which led for me missing my shuttle service to my hotel in Kuala Lumpur. Most of the cabin staff were very good. The cabin cleanliness was okay but the table and the IFE was smudged with dirt. The food was okay but beverages were very limited, they do not serve alcohol in this route.
RouteJakarta to Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2018

"only peanuts and juice served"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Singapore. flight was delayed for almost an hour and it wasn't handled properly by the ground staff. for this flight, only peanuts and juice was served. Such a disappointment for an airline like Malaysian Airlines to serve only that.
AircraftB737-800
RouteKuala Lumpur to Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2018

"It was a bad experience"

Trip Verified | The flight from Kuala Lumpur to Hyderabad (Jul 8th, 21:40) was announced canceled just at the moment we should be boarding (20:40). We were stuck inside at the Transfer Counter where it has taken about 2 hours or more to get our voucher for hotel stay that night. Worst part was that the shuttle to hotel that was about to start at 12 AM started around 1:15 AM. They waited for an hour at the airport for other passengers. The kids were very tired and when we reached the hotel, it was almost 2:20 AM. We hardly had any sleep. And had to get up by 5 AM to rush back by 6 AM shuttle to airport. It was better to stay back at the airport rather be awake all night, waiting in the shuttle for an hour and travelling back and forth to the hotel 1 hour each way. We opted for vegetarian meal and the food was worst. And for vegetarians, there are not many options at the airport though the airline gave vouchers. It was a bad experience.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Hyderabad
Date FlownJuly 2018

"All 4 flights had delays"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur. All 4 flights had delays over an hour even for the short KUL-SIN sectors. KUL-HKG / HKG-KUL sector was both over 3 hours delayed and had me arrive at HKG past 2am! Not only would I miss the train but had me took a very expensive cab ride home to HK Island. As for the hard product, dont get me started with that ageing 737 where J really feel like Premium Economy. On the bright side, kudos to the crew, it was hard to fault them.
RouteHong Kong to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2018

"crews were pretty friendly"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to New Delhi in May for birthday trip, it was like 5 hours flight, the inflight meal was horrible, I ordered seafood meal ahead of time online, but I did enjoy the prawn salad before the main course. The cabin design was nice and comfortable, the pillow was small with purple color blanket. Cabin crews were pretty friendly on board.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Delhi
Date FlownMay 2018

"still not had any response"

Trip Verified | London to Kota Kinabalu via Kuala Lumpur. I've flown business class on MH regionally and domestic six times in the past 2 years and been very happy (apart from the no alcohol policy), so decided to book this long haul business class flight. MH3 LHR-KUL had a creeping delay which ended up at 5 hours 50 mins late. New onboard business product on A350 is very cramped and a big disappointment. While in Sabah MH reservations removed my return booking from their system which caused me problems and humiliation at check in at Kota Kinalablu and again at KL transfer desk (30mins plus 45mins), as they couldn't get my booking back to be live on their system to issue boarding passes. When we did eventually get on the flights we didn't have the seats we'd selected. I submitted a complaint 20 June and still not had any response 1 month later. Shockingly poor service to a bus class pax and OneWorld Sapphire card holder. They seem to be ignoring their legal obligations to pay delay compensation for an EU originating flight.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 737-800
RouteLondon to Kota Kinabalu via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2018

"the lack of beer or wines"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur on their ageing B737’s on 21st July 2018. Check-in in SGN was a breeze as usual – I always get the feeling that they just are waiting for me at the counter. This time there were 6 Biz-pax in front of me, but they spotted me as I apparently travelled without inscribed luggage. Thus I was picked aside by the MH-manager who personally checked me in and changed my seats without even asking: he just by his own reassigned me other seats – at first I did not discover – but then later while in the lounge: I checked the aircraft’s configuration: he had given me other, better seats, much appreciated. It took him two Minutes at the counter to issue BPs throughout. I) was granted 50 kg luyggage that I did not use. They respect other Oneworld elite travellers and gave me the earned privileges to “their” SGN-lounge – they use Apricot, a 3rd-party lounge of good quality with excellent views of the tarmac. That lounge improves day by day, I really like the effort. Had some stuff printed out from the Lounge’s business-centre within Minutes. However, the amazing regional “Golden-lounge” in KLIA is even better, inc. sparkling wines and domesticated buffet with hot dishes. One senior staff helped me to make a complicated rebooking and spent over 1 hour for me and eventually we succeeded for a modest ticket change fee; well done. First flight on time – second flight delayed 45 Minutes waiting on the tarmac. On board the FAs are good – even in economy. Special meal pre-ordered and effectuated to perfection. Flights on time – have neither had serious delays nor luggage problem with this airline. Thus, at times when I read several of the reviews in this forum I cannot recognise that it’s the same airline. IFE fair/good on 2nd leg but lacking on 1st leg. Seats OK and spacious for economy. MH are opting their game. However, the lack of beer or wines served onboard on short and medium-haul flights are a big minus that put the airline at max. 4 stars out of 5.
AircraftB737-800