Malaysia Airlines

"Very poor customer service"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur. Very poor customer service. Flights are delayed. Uncomfortable seating. Business class seats are like premium economy. Waste of money. Don't opt for Malaysia Airlines for travel.
RouteMelbourne to Kuala Lumpur

"cheap for a reason"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Kuala Lumpur in December 2017. They do not have a call center in different countries and you are routed to their call center back to Malaysia (which is an outsourced service to Fiji). Not just the no one ever picks up after making you wait as it drains your international call charges or no replies ever for emails, even if you are fortunate to receive an email, it is a template to refer to the relevant department and no one will come back to you. Should you need any ground assistance, there are no offices in international airports outside Malaysia to help. The onboard service was ok, the attendants were keen and courteous. Other than that plane was not in the best condition. The worst part is getting help after they retimed is impossible. Cheap as they are, they are cheap for a reason.
RouteSingapore to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2017

"a below average flight"

Trip Verified | Received a one liner from MH via email 12h prior to departure that my flight would be “re-timed“ by 17 hours. No reason, nor alternatives or phone numbers to call were offered. I called MH and was told that I would have to pay a hefty penalty if I insist to be placed on another flight since the change requested would be seen as voluntary. After an hour of pleading and bargaining, the agents supervisor finally gave in and put me on an MH night flight 3h later. One full night at a 5 star hotel in KL wasted! The flight was operated by an A380, which I usually adore, but this one was so rundown and outdated, that I didn’t enjoy the flight. The seats were uncomfortable, the staff robotic and not very friendly. The food was rather mediocre, USB port and power plug not functioning. Overall a below average flight.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownOctober 2018

"onboard service was great"

Trip Verified | Flew return Sydney to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur and I cannot recommend Malaysia Airlines enough. I was lucky enough to get MH's brand new A350-900 going and coming back and what a wonderful aircraft it is. Silent and both the inflight entertainment system and wifi is second to none. Even though the IFE doesn't have as many options as airlines such as EK or SQ, it was more than adequate for my 8hr journey to KL. The onboard service was great and food was also good. Anytime I was given a drink, be it alcohol or soft drink, I was always given a full size can, which is more than I can say for some other full service airlines I've flown on. KLIA itself is a great transit airport, many food options and well priced. The KL to Bangkok sector was flown on a B737-800 which is also equipped with seat back tv screens, even though it's a less than 2hr flight. Both the flight going to and coming back from Bangkok were really comfortable and again, there was a full meal service. But most of all, the price I got was beyond belief, cheaper than some low cost airlines, even though the service was better than other full service airlines I've paid double the price for.
AircraftA350-900
RouteSydney to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownOctober 2018

"this trip was fantastic"

Trip Verified | London to Kuala Lumpur. It's been 15 months since I flew with Malaysian. My last trip was great, this trip was fantastic. The crew, the food, the drink. Real Malaysian hospitality! My flight experience was a step up from last flights in 2017. I could sense a real desire from the crew to deliver an outstanding customer focused service- nothing was too much trouble. I was met at the aircraft door and shown to my seat, addressed by name throughout. All food served was of a high standard and very well presented. The seat comfort both seated and whist sleeping was very good. A quality business class product at a very reasonable cost. My Asian carrier of choice!
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"departure time had been delayed"

Trip Verified | London to Perth via Kuala Lumpur. We booked a flight to United Kingdom to attend a wedding of a very close family sibling on 21st July 2018 and returning back to Perth, Australia on 12th August. Before leaving my home in the UK, we checked in online via the website, and the departure time was showing as scheduled which was 10.25am from London Heathrow to Kuala Lumpur, and these details were confirmed by the automated check in email, and also on the boarding pass. When we got to Heathrow Airport at 7am on 12th August, and went to drop off luggage, staff advised us that the flight departure time had been delayed until 16:30 for MH3, and we were issued with 4 breakfast vouchers. Why did Malaysia Airlines not email us to advise of the delay in the departure flight then I would not have bothered coming to the airport at 7am! Approximately at 15:30, we were waiting at the departure gate and staff announced that the flight would be further delayed till 17:30. Approximately 17:15 we started boarding but we did not depart till 18:45 which meant that we were sat in the aircraft for 1.5 hours. At this stage, we had been at the airport for over 11 hours in total and I asked for hotel accommodation but Malaysia Airlines staff refused my request. We have never experienced so much incompetency from an established airline such as Malaysia Airlines, and I don’t think we would ever consider flying with Malaysia Airlines ever again.
RouteLondon to Perth via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2018

"crews were very friendly"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Kathmandu via Kuala Lumpur. Enjoyed the flight experiences. Cabin crews were very friendly and responsive. They was a delayed for departure, however, the captain explained in detailed the reason of the late take off. Well done MAS!
RouteSingapore to Kathmandu via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2018

"entertainment system did not work"

Trip Verified | London to Denpasar via Kuala Lumpur. The complaints about the journey, overall, are fairly minor, however an accumulation of these minor issues alongside the abysmal customer complaints service has warranted this review. Firstly, our flight was delayed. This happens and there is no point in complaining, however, there was no communication between the airline and passengers. In the end, we went to ask someone what was going on and they told us ‘Oh its only a minor delay, 20-40 minutes’. 2 hours later we boarded without any further communication following the initial and somewhat obscenely inaccurate estimation. This was, again, minor, but we had a interconnecting flight with a 2 hour 20 minute gap (which had now been reduced by 2 hours to just 20 minutes) and we had no idea what was going to happen. Would it have been too much trouble to make an announcement? My magazine pouch had a massive hole in it. My stuff went everywhere and I had to get on my hands and knees to retrieve it all. My boyfriend’s on board entertainment system did not work. When he asked a member of staff if there was anything they could do to help, (not expecting much but it was worth asking) he was laughed at. They eventually confirmed his seat number and ran a reboot, but it did not work. None of the charging ports were working. It was just so frustrating for him having to sit and do nothing for the duration of the flight. In truth, we rotated seats and shared the burden. I was feeling extremely rough at one point during the 14h flight so I went to the back of the plane to be near the facilities. There was a row of 3 reserved seats for staff rest. Whilst it was completely unoccupied, and had been for well over 2 hours, my boyfriend asked a member of staff if I could rest there for a short while just so I could be next to the toilet. Very kindly, I was allowed. But we were abruptly asked to leave the area immediately and return to our seats by another member of staff. She didn’t even sit down in the seat I was in, she just didn’t want me there. It may sound petty, but its all building up. Thank goodness we made our connecting flight.
RouteLondon to Denpasar via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2018

"there was no water on board"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | On my outbound flight (Kuantan - KL - London), my connecting flight from KL to London was delayed by almost 2 hours, - and when I did get on the flight from KL to London MH2, the charger at my seat was broken, the table and near window had coffee stains and there was no water on board. On my return flight (London - KL - Kuantan), my connecting flight from KL to Kuantan was delayed by almost 4 hours (only when asked did they give a breakfast voucher with no written value, while checking at the restaurant, was informed the value was only RM13, balance needed to topped up by myself). When attempting to check in online, I was unable to select any seat. This is the only airline when I tried to check in online had no option to choose the seat, all the other seats were occupied.
RouteKuantan to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2018

"service with a friendly smile"

Trip Verified | London to Kuala Lumpur. Customer service check-in excellent and efficient service with a friendly smile. I don't think Malaysia airlines have a random upgrade pick, I think you have to earn it somehow. Plane crew welcoming and friendly. After the long haul flight, there wasn't many crew saying good bye. I think they were tired and not very happy, then again, who would be if you have to serve a plane load of passengers. Overall, on economy class, it's what I expected. Food was ok - edible. Seats were comfortable. I didn't even get up once from LHR to KUL.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur