Malaysia Airlines

"Very disappointing"

Trip Verified | Pathetic in-flight experience dirty blankets, poor food quality and the TV screen does not work. I am appalled at the lack of service quality in business class. No response from their customer service team despite escalating the issue. Very disappointing!
RouteDelhi to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"The flight was overall alright"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Malaysia Airlines flight review from KL to Perth. The flight was overall alright but in terms of price paid, it might be a little disappointing to be paying the price of a full service airline carrier. The most disappointing part of the whole trip is when you want to make a claim for a damaged bag. It has been 3 weeks now from the last time I lodged a report on their website / portal and have yet to hear from them. No idea why their customer service is so poor post-flight. It is an embarrassment for a national carrier to treat its passengers so poorly. Their neighbouring country, Singapore Airlines service would bring shame to the services provided by Malaysia Airlines.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Perth
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"this airline is incompetent beyond belief"

Trip Verified | One of the worst airlines I have travelled. I booked my flights 8 months in advance. A nightmare. Four main issues: 1) Only when logging in to manage my reservation 2 weeks before departure did I realise they had cancelled one of the flights on my journey and rebooked me onto an alternative flight which meant that instead of a 2 hour layover between connecting flights, it was now 8 hours! I was not informed of this change in flight schedule which I find absolutely abhorrent and unprofessional. 2) There was an alternative flight on the same day with the same route which would have resulted in a 4 hour layover time which is undoubtedly better but they allocated me the earlier flight. No common sense at all and infuriating! 3) After multiple phone calls and emails from my travel agent requesting the alternative flight, they kept getting told it wasn’t possible to change the flight but without any explanation and we were then told it was fully booked but they would put us on a waiting list. However when I called to complain they said there was plenty of availability and the travel agent needed to request the change. So we went round and round in circles with the final answer being the flight was fully booked and nothing could be done. It took me quoting aviation law demanding either compensation or an alternative flight and daily messaging with a formal complaint to finally get switched to the next flight and guess what, at least 20 empty seats available on the flight! 4) Two people on the booking with same reference number. 3 out of 4 flights our seats automatically allocated next to each other which makes sense. Except the last 13 hr flight from Kuala Lumpur to London where we were allocated seats 4 rows apart! I complained and complained at every step of the journey and nothing could be done because all seats had been allocated. Now firstly, I checked in 36 hrs before the flight which would make you think that’s plenty of time to choose seats! But secondly, and most importantly, despite timing of checking in online, how does their system allow this to happen where if anyone can select their chosen seats it means a group can be split and sit separately! Every other airline has a system in place that would put people together despite time of check in and stop groups selecting random seats to their individual preference to prevent groups being split. What ended up happening is many groups were split up because their system allowed people who checked in earlier to select whatever seats they wanted including window and aisle seating living middle seats empty! Idiotic system to say the least and no thought process. Honestly, this airline is incompetent beyond belief and their systems are so archaic with the upper management staff not being of much help at all, probably because they can’t change the system and have no authority to make much change. Avoid at all costs!
RouteLondon to Bali via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Meal quality has dropped"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | After 3 years absence due to pandemic restrictions, also as an Enrich gold member, I was very much looking forward to flying with Malaysia airlines again. It was a return trip from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur. My high hopes were completely crushed after the 2 flights. My review would be too long if I had to write about everything. So I just simply summed up what we're most disappointing to me. State of the aircraft is old and poorly maintained. Crew service was not consistent, some good, but some were very subpar. Meal quality has dropped to a dangerously low level, with tiny portion barely the size of my mobile phone screen! Served on a cardboard box with just a packet of peanuts and a small bottle water. Came also with cheap filmy plastic cutlery, reminiscent of budget airlines. Not ok for a premium airlines like this! New safety video featuring silly dancing and singing with little regards to conveying the message if safety In short, it shows that they are in financial difficulties, and also lost directions and survival strategies. Once it was possible to use mileage to upgrade, but they removed that feature. Plus introducing new pricing system, and fees for this and that. I used to favor this airlines before the pandemic hit in 2020. After these flights, I see less and less reasons to remain loyal, I will seriously consider shifting my business and loyalty elsewhere after I have used up all my mileage with them.
RouteBangkok to Kuala Lumpur

"have improved tremendously"

Not Verified | I was hesitant when I booked the tickets from London to KL and vice versa. I was proven wrong. Malaysia Airlines have improved tremendously since I last flown with them pre pandemic! No doubt all airlines are restarting their business and so is MH. They are trying their best to develop the same 5 star image when they were on par with other similar airlines. I travelled with my family of four and never had any problems at all. There were a slight delay from London but it was well communicated. The journey back was seamless without any problems. Well done MH and keep on working hard and you’ll reach the peak, once again!
RouteKuala Lumpur to London
Date FlownAugust 2022

"staff are it’s only saving grace"

Trip Verified | 3 small Kababs for dinner, then lights off. Breakfast inedible - we tried each of the three on offer. Poor selection of entertainment. No true Transit through KL - an excuse to steal duty free bought in Bangkok. Discriminatory checks of hand luggage - my bag was with a “locals” and 3 cans of beer went through, my daughters were taken. We like Changi. No drinks between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, even international Business Lounge in KL, in a time warp, no drinks. Onboard staff are it’s only saving grace.
RouteBrisbane to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Great service on long haul"

Trip Verified | Great service on long haul with on time departure from PER and arrival into KUL, same from KUL into BKK. Meals were basic but hot and tasty and good selection of soft drinks (no alcohol served). Overnighted in KL then returned early morning for continuation flight. As a Oneworld Emerald customer was able to visit the Malaysia Airlines Regional Golden Lounge. Seat in exit row on the shorter leg (KUL-BKK) gave extra legroom, worth it for the discounted upgrade price of USD14. Only disappointment was the inflight entertainment. Tiny screen and lack of choices for movies. IFE needs a full overhaul. Excellent value for the price otherwise, and will definitely be using MH for regional Asia flights.
RoutePerth to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Inflight service is sub-standard"

Not Verified | Flying from Melbourne to Bangkok via KL. A midnight flight. No pre-check in fast track service. Staff at check in rude. Flight delay for more than an hour with no explanation. Aircraft is there, must be some technical issue. The crews was not very warm welcoming. On arrival to KL, told the connecting flight was cancelled. I was never told about the cancellation. Has to wait in the KL airport for extra 3.5 hours. Was told by agent the flight was cancelled 3 weeks ago. I was never contacted. I would have ask for refund and go for another airline as I need to be in BK at 2pm for the meeting. Compliant but no reply as usual. Inflight service is sub-standard, crew not interested to the passengers. Food is ordinary. I don't think I will use it the airline again.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 737-800
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2022

"staff asked for my One Health Pass"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | I was issue my boarding pass at the airport. Just as I was boarding the plane I was stopped. The staff asked for my One Health Pass issued by the Philippines. I was shocked to find out at such last minute. The staff said the front office should not had issued me the boarding pass if I do not process this health certificate. They refused to let me board the plane. They said my check in will be returned and I will have to buy a new ticket for the next available flight. I confronted the issuing officer and he just washed his hands by saying I should have done my own research before flying. To add salt to my wound he wants me to get a new ticket at 2800rm. 6 times the original price. I bought another ticket from Philippines Airlines and because MAS failed to return my checked in I missed this Philippines Airlines ticket too. Can you believe they cannot find my check in luggage. Now I have to buy my 3rd ticket. Malaysia Airline agree to fly my bag to Manila if found.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Manila
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"None of my luggage arrived"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | None of my luggage arrived with me at all. Though I paid nearly the same amount of money as my ticket to get my stuff through. Also the luggage services contacts they gave me is not in operations including their website.
RouteDelhi to Auckland via Kuala Lumpur