Malaysia Airlines

"do not want to give my money back"

Trip Verified | Had a booking cancelled and been waiting for almost 7 months now for my refund. The reason for cancellation is not even my fault, they rescheduled my 3rd flight and advanced it by one day making the whole trip useless as I would've arrived at Kuala Lumpur to transit to another flight that already took off a day before I even arrive. Never given other options, and it looks like they also do not want to give my money back.
RouteSydney to Manila via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2021

"it will take 3 to 6 months for refund"

Trip Verified | This review is related to booking and cancelling process and not actual travel of Malaysian Airlines. I had raised a booking for May 2022 to travel from Bangalore to Bali with my family. Due to other reasons and also COVID guidelines of quarantine, decided to cancel the ticket. First i had to call the helpdesk which is Malaysian number and had to wait for 30-40 mins twice to get connected. After that the support person says I am eligible for refund but it will take 3 to 6 months for refund and also the refund money they said they cannot say and asked to call again after a month to check status. Each month i need to follow up to get my money back is what it looks like. Now i am not sure if i will get my money back and if yes by when is still a mystery. This is the first time i had booked this airline and this information sharing to others to ensure they are aware of this issue and be careful choosing this airline. Also the support team said they cannot send any email on cancelling as well, asked to check in airline website the status will be cancelled. So now i am confused what is the proof of refund?
RouteBengaluru to Bali via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2021

"airline would not refund any money"

Trip Verified | I purchased return flights to go from Melbourne to Chennai for December 2021. The tickets were already expensive at $2,800 return but I have been waiting to see my parents back home in India and was prepared to pay the high fares. I tried for 2 hours to book tickets directly through the Malaysian Airlines website but I kept getting error. I therefore had to book the tickets via 3rd party - Trip.com Then the airlines canceled the flights, after which I contacted Trip.com for a refund. I was told the airline would not refund any money and only provide a travel voucher to be used before Dec 2022. I then contacted the airline and after much persuasion and heated discussion the agent agreed to charge a cancellation fee of $200. I questioned this charge, as the flight was cancelled by the airline so I do not understand why I should be the one to pay a penalty. The agent said this policy is mentioned in my ticket booking. I asked him to direct me to where I can view this policy. There was no cancellation policy within my booking. I requested the agent to send me a screenshot which I could see and confirm. He said he was unable to email me anything. I have since spent hours and much of my frustration talking/emailing Trip.com and the airlines but to no avail. It is very clear that the airlines and travel agents such as Trip.com are easily abdicating any responsibility and are taking advantage by fleecing customers like me. The airline says sorry, you didn't book through us and Trip.com says its the airline decision. Even if I did rebook for later, the tickets are expected to be cheaper than $2,800 certainly. So the airline have made money by cancelling the flight, the travel agents have made money and we as customers desperate to see family are at the mercy of these entities.
RouteMelbourne to Chennai via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2021

"never choose to travel with them ever again"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | We had tickets booked by Malaysia Airlines to fly from Auckland NZ, to Mumbai, India during Dec 2020. Due to the pandemic the flights from NZ were cancelled. We now need to travel to India in December this year, however I understand the flights are not operational to NZ route. But dealing with their customer service team is a nightmare. First of all there is no option at all for a refund or a partial refund minus the booking fees or whatever. Secondly I have hardly had any responses to my queries about my refund on compassionate grounds as the only reason we need to travel is due to personal family reasons. We would prefer flying them as we already have tickets, however if they aren't operating flights, they should at least partially refund our money so we can make other arrangements. So far I have 0 responses to my messages to them. Their call centre staff were unable to help me with our flights as they are unsure when the route will begin operating. Now we have booked our tickets with another airline to travel in Dec with the unwanted Malaysia airlines tickets still on our name which they only keep extending so we can rebook another date, even though we do not have travel plans in the future after this date. Now it is not my problem that they aren't operating on the dates we need to fly on. Again I would have preferred using them but since they aren't operating flights to NZ, I am stuck with an extra ticket to India on which I may not travel anytime soon in the foreseeable future. Thanks Malaysia airlines for nothing. Customer service gets a 0 for ignoring all my messages. Will never choose to travel with them ever again. Happy to pay extra for other airlines and get the assurance of customer service.
RouteAuckland to Mumbai via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Prolonged waiting time and multiple calls"

Trip Verified | Stay away from Malaysia Airlines I have booked tickets in March 2020 from MEL to BLR for a family of 4 and the travel is cancelled due to pandemic. After a long struggle and multiple calls to Airlines, they issued travel vouchers. I thought I could use these vouchers next time I travel. But, it remained as a dream. Surprisingly they issued MH-Evouchers when things are settled and deducted A$150 for each ticket. In addition, one of E-voucher is not redeemable. Prolonged waiting time and multiple calls each day to customer care doesn't yield any desired results. The customer care is really useless, every-time during the call they go through all details and comes up with standard answer- 'We are sorry sir, we know that it's an issue but we can't do much about it' This is going for multiple hours for the past 7 days. I haven't expected such unprofessional & below standard response. Even, the ticket prices are tripled now when things are slowly getting normal. The website is either slow or doesn't work at all most of the times.
RouteMelbourne to Bengaluru via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Still waiting on a full refund"

Trip Verified | Still waiting on a full refund for a planned flight in June 202o, after multiple calls, emails, bank disputed transactions and legal notice of demand. Keep away from this unethical airline. The audacity to still sell flights from Australia while hundreds of customers are waiting for their refunds. The mentality of those managing the customer service, public relations and management is a warning sign to safely stayaway from booking flights with them.
RouteSydney to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"I would expect more from a national carrier, shame on you"

(Sri Lanka)

Not Verified | They cancelled my flight at the start of COVID 18 months ago and will not return any money not even the extra that I paid for seat allocation, the voucher they have given me is worthless and will now not even get me to KL (half the distance that I had originally paid for). I run a small hotel in Sri Lanka and I gave everyone who cancelled with me a full refund because it was the honest & right thing to do, now I am in no position to go on holiday so the money would be big help to me. You can steal from people once but they will never return. I would expect more from a national carrier, shame on you.
RouteColombo to Myanmar via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownOctober 2020

"flight has been cancelled 2 times"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | I am a Malaysian and sorry to say Malaysia Airlines is being the worse airline from my flight experiences, my flight has been cancelled 2 times without any sms or calls. I open my apps only I discovered my itinerary was disappear, than after I realized flight was cancelled via email. Called up customer service and their replied was not friendly and refund will only be made in 6 months. Please note that I was aware of the cancellation just 3 days before my flight. I’m on a business trip and imagine the hassle that I had.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2021

"This is extremely unprofessional"

Not Verified | I was flying from Sydney to Mumbai on the 3rd January 2021. Flight got canceled and I received a single email, but then they still tried to check me in via sms? Had to call to confirm if it was actually cancelled. Later I was told that they will deduct over 200 USD as admin charges on a refundable ticket! And when I asked for a timeline for a refund - they don’t have a time line, there is a minimum wait of over 8 months. Seriously? At least provide us with something. This is extremely unprofessional.
RouteSydney to Mumbai via Malaysia
Date FlownJanuary 2021

"Worst airline experience"

Trip Verified | Worst airline experience when covid hit back in March. I was in Nepal and had a flight booked for 23 March (it was 19 March). Heard a rumour that KTM airport was going to close in 24 hours. Went straight to Malaysia Airlines office the next morning. Was told that “yes the flight is cancelled however our system has yet to be updated so you will have to pay the difference and claim it back later”. I had no choice and they knew it, the flight they were moving me to was to depart in 3 hours, so I had to get back to the hotel, pack and rush to the airport. So my original flight was already double the normal price and I then got charged that and a bit more again... so paid quadruple the normal price in total. I went round and round in circles for 8 months where they even claimed not to have an office in KTM (I sent them a photo of it via google to disprove this particular lie). So, as with many others, no refund as promised or travel voucher or anything.
RouteKathmandu to Adelaide via Kuala Lumpur