Korean Air

"This airline was disappointing"

Trip Verified | I flew out from Brisbane, stopover at Seoul, before continuing to my destination Japan Tokyo. During this 13 hour trip I found this airline to the most disappointing so far in my travels. I have previously flown with Cathay, Thai and Malaysia and they've been pretty good (Cathay being the best in my opinion). This airline was disappointing because they always skimp on the water levels in their cups given out every time. I'm on a plane, that is the last thing that I need - to be even more dehydrated! To those people thinking of flying you are better off buying your own bottle of water before you go. Seats were uncomfortable and at a weird angle. For that reason I highly recommend choosing a different airline for long distance travel. Seats were also quite compact and not spacious. Inflight entertainment was average and on one of the planes its remote control was stuck to the screen with a wire. What I mean by that is that everytime your window seat buddy needed to go to the toilet and needed to pass me in the aisle seat, the wire was in the way making it a clumsy design. Food was very average. Never going to fly Korean Air again.
RouteBrisbane to Seoul via Tokyo
Date FlownMarch 2019

"appreciate all their effort"

Trip Verified | I was flying Korean Air from Jeju to Gimpo. My parents in law was catching another flight from Jeju to Shanghai with different airline. I got notified my parents in law flight got last minute cancelled due to weather issue.The Korean Air crew helped me to contact the other airline to find out what’s the issue and managed to reach my parents in law. The crew even lets us to cancel the existing flight back to gimpo so we can reunite with my parents in law outside the boarding area. I would like to thank you the Korean Air and the crew for your sincere help. I truly appreciate all their effort so we can settle our parents in law.
RouteJeju to Seoul Gimpo

"seats comfortable"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Seoul. Have flown this year with KE 3 times now. Our last flight with KE in August was the best. We are a family of 3 (baby 1 year old). Cabin crew was so nice and cared for us throughout the flight. We sat in the 2nd row of economy on one flight. I asked for cabin crew for something to drink which they said they have back in the galley (i told never mind and asked for something else). After finishing providing meals for others the staff came back especially with my drink. Check in was super fast on all flight, boarding on time, seats comfortable (I am a big guy) food was ok, movie selection changed on the 2 flights (so i had full new options to watch on both ways), flights on time.
RouteTel Aviv to Seoul
Date FlownAugust 2019

"The crew were unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Singapore via Seoul. Delta put me on Korean Air as a codeshare flight. I last flew with Korean Air in 2010, and my impression after flying with them at that time was that it was fantastic, far better than most other airlines. Now, that impression is gone. Leg room was very good, entertainment ok although the range of movies is far more limited than Delta Studio. The crew were unfriendly and even borderline rude towards non-Korean passengers. I repeatedly observed them being very friendly and all smiles towards Korean passengers, however, the treatment towards non-Korean passengers was different. I believe this is because they felt more obliged to be courteous towards their local passengers. The biggest complaint I have though is the food. Food portions were terribly small and mostly tasteless. Halfway through the flight, I ate a sandwich which I purchased at the airport and flight attendant told me I was not allowed to eat outside food. This surprised me as I thought outside food was only not permitted only on budget carriers. Overall, it's still better than a 3-star airline, but there are now airlines out there that are better than Korean Air.
AircraftBoeing 747-8/ 777-300
RouteHonolulu to Singapore via Seoul

"nothing very impressive"

(French Polynesia)

Trip Verified | Incheon to Bangkok. After flying from Hawaii to Bangkok several times with Korean Air, I can say that there is nothing very impressive about this airline. It's not that anything is especially awful, but it's my impression that the company and its personnel are several rungs below their competitors. They lack the charm, cleverness, efficiency, and poise of other airlines, and are often lax and simply sloppy. On one recent flight, a member of the cabin staff spilled a tray of drinks on me while he was serving them to other passengers; on another recent flight, I was exiting the toilet and a flight attendant was literally running up the aisle and ran straight into me and knocked me out of the way and, without stopping, yelled, "oops!" and shrugged and carried on running. Their Thai staff are by far their best. Korean Air's catering is unappetizing, the interiors of their aircraft are uncomfortable, and their uniforms look something like pajamas. The entertainment on board is limited, dull and needs improvement fast and, most surprisingly for such a supposedly technologically-advanced country, Korean Air's website and app are clumsy and not at all user friendly. The airlines likes to make choosing a seat as difficult as possible and it's now only possible to do so when signed in as a member of the airline's frequent flier program, despite my preference for earning mileage with one of their codeshare partners. Does Korean Air know what codesharing actually is? Finally, Incheon airport is new, but beyond shopping there's actually not much to do and it's not very much fun. So, in short, nothing awful, but Korean Air is far, far behind ANA, JAL, EVA air, Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, and can only really compete by being cheap.
RouteIncheon to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2019

"overall poor customer service"

(China)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Shenyang via Seoul. Korean Air has recently introduced a ridiculous policy of not allowing online or app-based seat changes (even for Biz class) unless you are a member of their program. Their response is it is a security issue. But it seems they just want to collect even more information than they already have and discourage your use of your other program membership, I am an elite Skyteam member via Delta, and all I want to do is change my seat. this is both pre and during online check-in. Really doesn't make sense. Thousands paid for the ticket and I can't even choose the seat I want. Very disappointing but inline with the overall poor customer service performance I am accustomed to receiving on Korean Air. I am not sure if they truly understand the concept of alliances and the purpose of sticking with an alliance like Skyteam. They really need to consider this poor service with their customers.
RouteHong Kong to Shenyang via Seoul
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"experience is bad"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Seoul. Senior ground staff full of attitude. Traveling with pet did not get pre-boarding unlike other airlines have always given my special assistance. Cabin crew are ignorant. I asked for hot water and got refused by a crew member saying that “no, we don’t give hot water here”. I asked for a special meal and only got a meal with no drink. The cart came after and the crew skipped serving a drink to me as I assumed they think that I have gotten everything. Overall experience is bad since on-ground to onboard the aircraft.
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Seoul
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"experience onboard Korean was underwhelming"

Trip Verified | The experience onboard Korean was underwhelming. Flew from DLC-ICN-LAX. The first leg was a quick hour flight onboard a 777 with good entertainment and was served a small lunch consisting of a chicken sandwich, pineapple and a beverage. The second leg was delayed for 1.5 hours after boarding due to technical issues. Leg space and seating on A380 was great, however I found the in-flight entertainment and meals subpar. The movie offerings were limited with a few new releases and between 15-20 old movies. Moreover, meals left a lot to be desired as the portions were small and snack options were limited to asian shrimp crackers, plain crackers and banana bread. Cabin stewardess did a fine job, going through the motions of carrying on their duties, but there wasn't any personal touch or personality to their interactions. I'd fly Korean Air again if the price is less than better competitors.
RouteDalian to Los Angeles via Seoul
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Tomato Soup for breakfast?"

Not Verified | Excellent staff. However, Tomato Soup for breakfast? In general, the food is not good quality. Only a few very old movies for entertainment. Business Class Lounge was like being in McDonalds - noisy children, more people than seats, no bar service, dreadful food. Feel using the entire top level of a 380 for business class is not reflected in the facilities st Seoul. 16 hour layover, not permitted to take blanket from plane to “Nap Room”. The seats in the A380 are impossibly uncomfortable for sleeping
RouteSydney to- New York via Soul
Date FlownJuly 2019

"thank her for her amazing help"

Trip Verified | Seoul to Sydney. I am a very nervous flier and I let the cabin crew know this. The first lady, who was showing customers to seats took this very seriously and was very welcoming and also checked up on me at the end and kindly wished me farewell. This lady assigned staff to look after me during the flight, Moon was the loveliest, kindest air hostess I have ever met. She stayed with me during bouts of turbulence (without neglecting her other hostess duties to other customers) and checked on me throughout the flight. She also distracted me by chatting to me about my time in Korea and assuring me that we were safe, as well as bringing me water and comforting me. I would love to be able to recommend her and thank her for her amazing help. Thank you Moon!
RouteSeoul to Sydney