Icelandair

"lack of response from representatives"

Trip Verified | Icelandair lost my bag on my flight to BWI this past Saturday, I filed a report at the airport and keep calling customer service daily but up to now my bag has not been located. I have not received any email/notification/call and every time I call, customer service gives me contradicting information saying they're in communication with the airport, saying they cannot reach out to the airport, mentioning flights to me which do not exist that my luggage could be on (it never was) to then saying there has never been any information in the system to confirm anything that has been said to me. One agent in particular refused to update my personal information (my address) and bag descriptors and raised her voice at me. I am on an important business trip which has been completely sabotaged by this and the lack of response from representatives is something I have never experienced. When I asked about refunds for items purchased while my bag remains lost one customer service rep replied "who told you about this?" and when I said that it was mentioned to me briefly by her colleague, she asked for the colleague's name before reluctantly said that I could file but that it was up to the airline to decide what they would refund me. I have read the terms and conditions by now but am very negatively surprised by the unprofessionalism in handling my request so far.
RouteLondon to Baltimore via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2022

"portion of my luggage was lost by the airline"

Not Verified | Flying IcelandAir has, honestly, been one of the worst experiences of my life. A significant portion of my luggage was lost by the airline. It has been almost 14 days. I have submitted multiple claims and none of them have been responded to. Staff are rude, refuse to provide policies that they are referencing on my rights as a consumer, and they do not allow for me to raise my complaints with a supervisor. Currently, I am in Greenland on business without the proper clothing and resources to do my trip safely. I have missed out on important meetings and I am virtually confined to my room with the temperatures and IcelandAir's unwillingness to provide compensation that can be used up front for the clothing and gear that I need. IcelandAir is neglectful and they do not respond online, offline, or with sufficient information to keep their passengers safe and supported after they have collected their revenue.
RouteKeflavik to Nuuk
Date FlownJune 2022

"They will not refund me"

Trip Verified | Buyer beware of purchasing through Icelandair! I recently have been diagnosed with a high risk pregnancy complication and have been instructed by my doctor not to travel. I called Icelandair to figure out my options. They will not refund me, or even let me transfer the ticket to another name on the exact same flight in the exact same seat with no cost to them. Even with a doctor’s note. Do not do business with this shady company.
RouteSeattle to Paris via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2022

"Never flying Icelandair again"

Trip Verified | I lost my suitcase on my trip from the US to the Netherlands and never got any compensation, and the luggage was never found. I couldn’t provide the baggage tag because for some reason it wasn’t attached to my ticket, it probably fell somewhere, and that I admit was my fault. I went through the whole process of filing the claim, sending countless pictures of what I had in the luggage, the email exchanges lasted almost a month just so in the end they told me that there won’t be any compensation because there is no proof that I had any luggage with me. It was a 20kg suitcase and worth a lot of money, so I’m really really disappointed. Never flying Icelandair again.
RouteNew York to Amsterdam via Keflavik
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"Very disappointed with Icelandair"

Trip Verified | Very disappointed with Icelandair. I planned a trip to Europe, what would have been my first trip out to the continent. I planned for months and had everything worked out. Then the pandemic happened, the airlines shutting down due to the quarantine. A year later, airlines started opening back up but financially I was struggling because of the pandemic. Now I am trying to plan my trip again and Icelandair will not provide any credit for this trip. Since the cancellation had to do with a global pandemic, definitely not under my control, they want me to fork over another $1600 for a new flight. So now I am looking at over $3000 alone on the ticket by paying again due to horrible customer service. Because of this, I will be looking at flying with another airline, hopefully one that will offer better customer service over something like this if it is not in my wheelhouse of control. I will never recommend this airline and really wish southwest flew to Europe as honestly, they are the only ones with good customer support.
RouteDenver to Copenhagen via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Pretty poor service"

Trip Verified | IcelandAir sent out an email saying to check in three hours in advance of departure due to airport delays. Given the problems at Dublin Airport (security delays of 5+ hours on May 29), this seemed eminently sensible. Unfortunately, when I showed up 3 hours prior to departure, the check in counter was closed and at least 150 people were waiting to check in. 15 minutes later the line was even longer and still no check in agent. The time to go through security to the gate was about 1 hour, figure 1 to 1-1/2 hrs to go through check in and that the gate closes 15 min before departure. Anyone needing extra time would likely miss their flight. Pretty poor service.
RouteDublin to Seattle via Rekavik
Date FlownJune 2022

"if you have medical needs, Icelandair doesn't care"

Trip Verified | I need extra legroom due to a damaged knee. To my delight I was allocated to a normal seat next to a window. Staff were completely useless and did nothing to help the cause. Absolutely zero initiative to get the seat changed, didn't even provide instructions on how to reclaim the negligible extra price paid. Only option I was offered was to deboard the flight. 0/10. Be careful if you have medical needs, Icelandair doesn't care.
RouteBerlin to Toronto via Reykjavik
Date FlownJune 2022

"I felt lied to and cheated"

Trip Verified | Icelandair says you can change your flight at anytime online, you cannot. I had to call (1 hour wait time), was disconnected multiple times, went on the chat, they refused to admit I couldn't change it on the website and kept trying to send me to the "my journey" page - finally, they admitted you cant change it online and have to call because we had a stopover in Iceland. They say you can change it with no fee, only the change in cost of the ticket price, 30 minutes after I booked (should be able to change your booking 24 hours after you originally book), I tried to change to a later flight: same day, same price - I couldn't do it online and the phoneline wouldn't connect (kept dropping). Magically I missed my 24 hour window where I have to now pay to change it. My family wanted to book the same flight as me, I doomed them to an early flight with my mistake, they called to try and change it since I was disconnected, and the customer service agent tried to sell them a ticket 1000$ higher than what is online, so she had to call. They dont tell you in advance they dont include headphones or food in the cost of the flight and you have to pay once on the airplane. The covid regulations and requirements for your destination is incorrect. In this day and age, everything should be available online to change or edit your see your booking. I have flown internationally with multiple airlines and this is by far the worst experience. Icelandair had terrible customer service in regards to booking or managing your booking. They tried to squeak every dime out of us and their processes set you up to have to pay more. If they were transparent in the process that would be one thing, but they are tricky and deceitful. They lost three customers. If you dont care about the cost of the trip or money and transparency, then they are just fine to fly with. The flight and staff onboard and check in was good, but my ethics refuse to fly with them again after the booking issues and lack of transparency. I felt lied to and cheated. I never would have booked with them if I had known in advance.
RouteDenver to Oslo via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2022

"Will not fly them again"

Trip Verified | Flying from London to Seattle with sister. Business class. We each checked 2 bags. We each received 1 in Seattle. The small carry on size ones - the large suitcases - nada. No IcelandAir folks available, their desk was closed. Their report line was closed. Their website useless. Their phones just go to message. In addition - 1 hour delay in London on the tarmac with no air. Will not fly them again.
RouteLondon to Seattle vi Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2022

"I would not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | I have been waiting for 2 hours at the checking Icelandair counter. Boarding starts at 1:35 pm and now is 11:25 am and nobody is at the counter yet? We still have to check in the luggage and than go through airport security. You can forget about the business lounge, by the time they start to finally work and for you to go through airport security you’ll have to run to catch the plane. Also the past two days I was trying to contact customer service to extend the layover to stay for a day or two in Reykjavik, but every time by the phone or the chat after 1 - 1.5 hour waiting time it just disconnects you. I would not recommend this airline, not even to my enemy. Also don’t bother paying 3x the price for business class, because on Icelandair this is like economy plus at any other normal airline.
RouteFrankfurt to New York via Reykjavik