Icelandair

"never fly with this company again"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Washington via Keflavik. Worst airline in the history of airline travel. The customer service is very disappointing. If you want any type of refreshments you need to buy it. You are lucky if you can get water for free. I bought my seat because I did not want to sit in the rear but on my way back home, my seat was changed without even asking me. I was given the seat by the bathroom and had to put up with the door constantly opening and closing in my face and smell the bathroom aroma. When I emailed Icelandair, they claimed that the aircraft was changed and the reassigned the seat with more legroom. How did they know that I chose my seat based on legroom? As a mater of fact I did not. I chose it because it was close enough to the front of the plane. I would never fly with this company again and based on my experience, I would advise everyone to consider someone else
RouteOslo to Washington via Keflavik

"bad customer service"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket through the Icelandair website from Vancouver to Zurich with a stop over in Iceland on the way home. I had to buy this as two individual tickets. This is not what I wanted as I wanted it to be one ticket. However, the Icelandair website did not allow me to book it as one trip. I thought that might be a system error so I called to see if an Icelandair representative could fix this for me as. However the representative instructed me that they can't do it either and that I should buy two individual tickets to make this trip happen. We bought the economic standard ticket that allows changes for a fee. Once we realized that we can't fly on the dates planned we called to change the tickets, which is when we were informed that we have to pay the change fee of 300$ CAD twice since it's two reservations, eventhough it was one trip. Obviously that made no sense as paying $600 plus fare difference was not worthwhile compared to the original ticket. Interestingly enough, the price that I was told to change the ticket through the representative was $800, compared to $500, when I did it myself online. The difference couldn't be explained to me. While trying to change the dates, I said that I would like to upgrade to the more expensive ticket category that would allow for changes without a fee, I was told that I could upgrade and pay more but that the policy of the old ticket class would carry over. Hence not really helpful either. Eventually I decided to cancel the ticket. I was told that I would get parts of the taxes reimbursed. Once I asked how much that would be, they said that they can't tell me. In the end I asked if there is a complaints department or a escalations department. Guess what, the answer was no. Unfortunately, bad customer service. I can't comment on the actual airline as we didn't end up flying with them, and never will after this experience.
RouteVancouver to Zurich via Keflavik
Date FlownDecember 2019

"worst experience on a flight"

Not Verified | The worst experience on a flight ever! I never have problems with any kind of budget airline, but Icelandair is just ridiculous and should take a very close look to their customer service in my opinion. On my flight from Amsterdam to New York, with a stop in Reykjavik, I only had hand luggage with me. In Amsterdam they said the luggage was correct for a carry on and so I went on the flight. On the flight itself my screen didn’t work, but they didn’t allow me to change seats even though there were free seats in the economy class I was in. I let it go, but was not able to watch a movie or anything, even though there would have been an easy solution for this. After the first flight, the worst part happened: in Reykjavik they told me shortly before we would take off, that my carry on was too big and that I had to pay 100 euros to be able to take it with me. When I said I thought this was very strange because they checked it in Amsterdam already, they treated my like I was stupid and even cursed at me. I went on the flight in a shock and even the crew on board was in shock with me and told me to complain. So I did. Still have not been given a decent answer in months. I have called with the customer service over 20 times, they told me that they could see in the system that I would get a refund, but could not tell me more information about this; if I wanted more information, I should email the complaint department. I have emailed the complaint department and have yet not received any answers on my question from them. The only thing they sent (after two months) was a very standard email with not any answer on the specific questions I asked. I will never in my life fly with this airline again and will highly recommend others to not do this either. It is one big disappointment and I feel very disrespected as a human and a paying customer. Besides: WiFi does not work, no food or drink on the plane, you need to buy your headphones etc.
RouteAmsterdam to New York via Reykjavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"seats are way behind the times"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Keflavík to Copenhagen in Saga Class. Icelandair's fleet of 757 is now old and the Saga Class seats are way behind the times. While Icelandair's Saga Class product will win no awards, for short flights to and from Iceland and Europe it is a comfortable enough experience. Icelandair has a good on-time record. The wifi included with your Saga Class ticket is a nice touch.
RouteKeflavík to Copenhagen
Date FlownDecember 2019

"be careful using IcelandAir "

Not Verified | On our way home from England, they had booked us a connecting flight through Montreal. They must not have considered the fact that we had to clear customs in Montreal, as we ran to Porter to catch our flight to Halifax and they said we did not have time to make it. There was no agent at the airport for Icelandair, which seems ridiculous as they just had a flight arrive. From there we proceeded to call Icelandair to let them know we needed to rebook as they booked our flights too close together. They did. We then proceeded to ask them if we would be able to book a hotel room as we couldn’t get a flight until the next morning. Between the 4 of us, there were 3 reservations and they told us we would qualify for 3 rooms, 1 for each reservation. We only booked 2, one for mom and dad and one for me . They said we had to pay for the room up front, then put the claim through their website afterwards to be reimbursed for them. Now they will not pay. They initially argued that the flight to Halifax was 3 hours late leaving and we had time to catch it. But they were looking at the arrival time, not the departure time. They agreed that was a mistake, but that we still had time to catch the flight. They have said we need to take it up with Porter that they didn’t let us on the flight. Why did their representative tell us we qualified for 3 rooms and now not pay for it? Had they said so at the time, we would have camped out in the airport, or at the very least, shared a room between the 4 of us. My mother has had numerous correspondence with IcelandAir. She said she is not going to let this go and their response was the following: “further request for a different resolution of this case will unfortunately at this time result in the closure of this case without further reply”. It’s bad enough they will not pay, but to have led us to believe they would, causing us to incur the costs. This is the most recent issue we have had, and one in many issues we had travelling with IcelandAir last August. My family and I feel bullied, and left to feel like there is nothing we can do and have to just suck it up. Well, maybe we’re are not going to get the money back from them, and that’s fine, but I don’t want to go away quietly and want to speak up. Please be careful using IcelandAir for your travelling needs. Their customer service and ethics are “less than desired” and you may incur some additional expenses.
RouteMontreal to London via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"absolutely recommend"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Keflavik. I have flown with Icelandair once a year for almost 20 years and never had a bad experience. I have only experienced three major delays, one was because of a storm. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I don’t eat the food anymore as it’s expensive and not that great but my flight is short enough to manage. I absolutely recommend Icelandair!
RouteStockholm to Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Icelandair Cost Me!"

Trip Verified | Icelandair Cost Me! Very poor customer service! I flew Icelandair in September because I wanted to try the new airline. I was heading to Edinburgh, but they only flew to London so I booked a separate flight on British Airways from London to Edinburgh. I left plenty of time between flights, to ensure I could make the transfer. However, when I got to Reyjavik for the layover, I was told my next flight was delayed 2 hours! I was pretty sure since I had to change terminals at Heathrow I would miss my flight (in the end the plane left Reyjavik 3 hours late!) I went to the customer service desk and advised of my dilemma and asked what they would do for me. They said nothing, it was my problem! How does their delay end up being my fault?! I was on the telephone trying to change flights with British Airways, and they were great! But, I had to pay an extra $425 for the last minute changes on an expensive flight! British Airways said that Icelandair should be covering the costs, but they refused to. I filed a claim with Icelandair, but 2 months later I still have no resolution and they have denied my claim, so I am out that extra cash. Please share this with all of your friends, I don't want anyone else to have to go through this!
RouteVancouver to Heathrow via Reykjavík
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I would never use them again"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to Washington via Keflavik. We arrived without our luggage which the airline left in Iceland. It took them over 3 days to finally reunited us with all of our luggage We had to buy clothes. They have never paid us a penny compensation. They offered to pay us half the cost of one of our party, but have never paid us. They never gave us a baggage missing receipt so cannot claim from insurers. They do not communicate. Worst Airline I've ever used. I would never use them again.
RouteGlasgow to Washington via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2019

"can't see how Icelandair is a good choice"

Trip Verified | Awful experience with weather cancellation handling and uncaring customer service, I'll avoid Icelandair in the future. I had to continue from one business trip to another and booked Icelandair because it was the quickest way from Orlando to Glasgow, premium economy seat upgrades were surprisingly competitive in their pricing, too. Now I know why. A storm in Iceland caused some delays that cascaded into my flight out of the US getting cancelled. That happens, I understand. But then, Icelandair (without consulting me or my corporate travel broker) booked me on a pair of replacement flights on different airlines leaving 'more than a day later'. Here I am checked out of my hotel being told "tough luck, you can leave in 36 hours or so." The travel agents called to try to get anything that wouldn't require an extra night, but (a) Icelandair was unwilling to book on anything but a narrow set of partner airlines that had no availability and (b) they were also unwilling to comp an extra night's accommodations if more than an extra day was needed. I've had comparable cancellations on other airlines before and they universally did their best to make sure the passengers were properly cared for leading up to a replacement flight. With no other options outside of eating two extra hotel nights myself (one at my origin and one unused at my destination), I ended up needing to cancel the entire Icelandair itinerary and did a last minute rebook—at a way higher price and with dreaded middle seats in front of lavatories—on another carrier. This is all bad, but then I wrote to their social media support to share my experience and politely request some attention to the case, even if it was just extra legroom on the return flight itinerary that was already booked. The response, although not unprofessional, was essentially "we're not obligated to give you anything, we're not giving you anything, but oh, hey, here's a WiFi voucher." Yes, after many hundreds of dollars and several lost hours, a WiFi voucher. Gee, thanks. Like it is with a 1¢ tip, nothing at all would have been less insulting. With all the airline options and now seeing all the similar experiences, I can't see how Icelandair is a good choice. Stuff goes wrong with the chaos of global air travel, and what separates good airlines from mediocre ones is how they take care of their customers getting through the complications. Icelandair seems it couldn't care less.
RouteOrlando to Glasgow via Reykjavík
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Don't waste your time"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Munich. To start our trip, we arrived in Munich to find my bag had never left Minneapolis. I filed the necessary paperwork and told them where I was going to be and when I was going to be there. They said shipping my bag would take 1-3 days. They managed to always be slow so my bag would arrive after I had already left the city I was in. To top it off, they would only reimburse me for $100 so I was travelling abroad in the same two pair of cloths for 10 days with no toiletries. Finally, my bag got returned to me two weeks after they had lost it. Don't waste your time, spend a little extra and fly with someone else.
RouteMinneapolis to Munich