Icelandair

"my bag did not arrive"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Glasgow via Keflavik. They gave me the wrong meal on the first leg of my flight. Then when I got to my destination my bag did not arrive along with about 6 other people. I called every day and never got an update on where my bag was or when it would be delivered. I never got an apology or anything better for losing my bag and all my stuff and forcing me to spend time I didn't have shopping for basic clothing to make it through a work trip. Not recommended.
RouteSan Francisco to Glasgow via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2019

"worst airline we have used"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Glasgow via Keflavik. We booked our flight to leave April 13-23/19. Weeks later we received an email from them that our flight was cancelled on April 23, changed to April 24. We either had to extend our holiday or pay them a cancellation fee. (Even though they changed/ cancelled the flight we booked and paid for). We had already booked our tours so had no choice but to extend. A few hours before we were set to fly out April 13, our flight was cancelled and changed to leave April 14. We tried and tried and tried to get through to Icelandair on the phone but to no avail. There phone message said the # was unavailable. So they cancelled our flight and we then can’t even contact them!! We drove to the airport to see if we could rectify the situation at the airport but even the Icelandair staff could not get through on the phone to there own company. It must have been in fine print. As I did not see it but you have to pay $260 Canadian to check luggage on an international flight? I read food for purchase/ drinks for purchase but not no where did I see I had to pay for luggage. So again on an international flight to only take carry on. I tried to reach out to Icelandair but they basically told me they don’t care. When they say no service on Icelandair they mean it from the time you book to during the flight and after. We travel a lot and have used many different airlines and by far Icelandair is the worst airline we have ever used.
RouteEdmonton to Glasgow via Keflavik
Date FlownApril 2019

"flight was very uncomfortable"

Not Verified | London to Keflavik. We booked the seat long time in advance, an aisle and window, than we got an email 36 before the flight that we can check in, but when we tried it told us to check in in the airport. From previous experience, we knew that we could check in online 24 in advance, this is the first misinformation. When we got on the plane we discovered that the aircraft been changed to one leased from a low cost airline and we are seated aisle and middle, and the seats are much smaller than the Icelandair aircraft and the flight was very uncomfortable. If we wanted to book a low cost, we will book low cost.
RouteLondon to Keflavik
Date FlownApril 2019

"Do not book with IcelandAir"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Geneva via Keflavik. Do not book with IcelandAir unless you are happy to have your flight cancelled, in a generic e-mail which says there is a form to request a refund, but there is no form in the e-mail. We booked flights for a major vacation months in advance, booked our hotel, and had been planning the trip with excitement. However with less than a month before flying, we were notified the flight had been cancelled. New flights at this point to a holiday destination were at minimum, $600 more per person. With the two of us, we now needed to find an extra $1200 to travel or cancel our trip and lose all of our hotel costs. The re-booking options landed us in a different city (and incurring more travel costs and the stress of landing somewhere we are wholly unfamiliar with) or arriving significantly later than planned, causing us to lose money on our hotel. Even though there were other flights available, they refused to re-book us on any other airline or refund us enough to purchase a different flight. This has been deeply upsetting and we will NEVER be flying with IcelandAir again. I recommend booking with a more reputable airline, even if the cost is slightly more, because it would have been worth the peace of mind.
RouteMinneapolis to Geneva via Keflavik
Date FlownMay 2019

"airline not worth the rating"

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Toronto via Keflavik. Icelandair suddenly announced they have canceled before 2 hours of my flight when I asked to the time I would be rebooked the counter told me to call Icelandair. When calling they have left me on hold where no one was picking up and during the process of being on my phone I went back to the counter multiple times and they have informed me that the system haven’t rebooked me yet. Somehow curiosity got the best of me and went to do the checkin process only to find I have been rebooked in the last half an hour before my rebooked flight and I have not received any email or verification about it so I had to rush back to the counter demanding my ticket they still said I wasn’t booked until I proved it by a picture I took in the self checkout, there was my another 20 minutes delay and once I got my ticket I was very close to the gate closing on me and they said it was my fault. This airline is not worth the rating.
RouteStockholm to Toronto via Keflavik

"Terrible seats"

Trip Verified | Washington to Reykjavik. Absolutely the worst airline I've ever had the misfortune to fly on. Terrible seats, cabin temp had to be over 78-80, rude flight attendants, paid to upgrade and was denied at gate. Still waiting for refund. They lie. Do not fly with these people.
RouteWashington to Reykjavik

"ridiculous baggage charges"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Edmonton via Keflavik. Terrible. The flights were average. But the gate agents charged us 120 for our car seat. After disputing the charge the next customer service reps told us "that would never happen" and allowed us to check our baggage for free. Except when we returned and we were charged another 120. I will never fly Icelandair again. Their miscommunications and ridiculous baggage charges for average service was terrible. And they damaged our luggage.
RouteGatwick to Edmonton via Keflavik

"Customer service poor"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Glasgow via Reykjavik. Very poor service. Food poor, baggage not included and no mention of costs to baggage until you arrive. $126.00 per bag ridiculous. Customer service poor. Attitude unprofessional. Avoid this airline at all costs .
RouteEdmonton to Glasgow via Reykjavik
Date FlownApril 2019

"checked bags and food not included"

Trip Verified | Seattle to London via Keflavik. My husband and I bought two way tickets, and somehow we didn't notice that checked bags and food were not included in the ticket price, so we ended up paying over $200 for only one checked bag for both, and meals (meals were rather just a sandwich). Our trip to our destination went well. On our return trip, we had a 25h stopover in Iceland, and leaving Iceland was a terrible hassle, from them giving us a hard time with our toiletries bag (that met regulations, and wasn't a problem in any of the previous flights) so we ended up needing to throw away some of our stuff. Then, we had extra security checks, long lines, that rather made us quite angry, and we are determined not to fly through Icelandair again.
RouteSeattle to London via Keflavik
Date FlownMarch 2019

"last trip with this airline"

Trip Verified | This was my first and last trip with this airline. The Boeing 757 from Vancouver to Reykjavik showed signs of age or neglect. The toilet was not working properly, the light in the washroom did not light up brightly. On the return flight, the door would not open and again there was a light issue. Flight attendants were unhelpful e.g. when asked whether I would still make my connecting flight any flight attendant would check, in my case it was an I don't know On my return flight when I posed the same question, the flight attendant said: run, they won't hold the plane for only two passengers. Had I not sat near the exit, not been able to run as fast as I could I would not have made my connecting flight to Vancouver. One wonders why a connecting time of 60 min is even permitted since the YVR to KEF flight will park in a field position. This means taking extra time to wait for the bus, then rush through passport control afterwards cross the entire airport to reach the international area. With one flight a day, any passenger missing their flight will be stuck in Reykjavik until the next day. There is no complimentary food service, but the food for purchase is not very tasty and overpriced. On my way from YVR to Reykjavik they only offered beverages once during a 7 and a half hour flight. On the 3:45 min flight to Munich however, they named through twice and offered water in between. On both legs the flights were late, which resulted in me having to rush and fear I would not make my connecting flight.
AircraftBoeing 757 / 767