Icelandair

"avoid traveling with Icelandair"

Trip Verified | Reykjavik to Washington. First and only time traveling with icelandair. The flight experience was bad, but they also lost my luggage. My fiancé gave them his luggage seconds before mine, and his made it without a problem. Mine is not only lost and delayed over 2 weeks, but they don’t think they’ll be able to locate it at all. Through this process, they’ve contacted me only twice. I’m going to make sure everyone I know knows about this experience so they can avoid traveling with Icelandair.
RouteReykjavik to Washington
Date FlownAugust 2019

"never book with Icelandair again"

Trip Verified | In December 2018, I booked and paid for a return flight to Copenhagen with Icelandair from Edmonton to Copenhagen via Reykjavik. The flight departure was September 11, 2019, and the return from Copenhagen was October 2. About 2 weeks before departure, I found that the leg of the return flight from Reykjavik to Edmonton had been cancelled, and I was advised to contact my travel agent. On September 3 I contacted my travel agent, and on Sept 5, 6, and 7. They tried to rebook each time, but were told that a refund was the only option. I phoned Icelandair myself to try to rebook the cancelled portion of the flight. Although they should have rebooked me at no additional expense, they would not. I offered to pay to cover any route from Reykjavik via any other city such as Toronto, Minneapolis or Vancouver, and I was told no, the only option is a full refund, which I would get in a couple months. I had to book the same flight my daughter booked in February at $1000 dollars more than she paid. I will never book with Icelandair again. I can’t rate a flight, because they refused to fly me.
RouteEdmonton to Copenhagen via Reykjavik
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"they are really greedy"

Trip Verified | Paris to Keflavik. The trip was nice, but they are really greedy: even headphone is paying and expensive! You can’t benefit from entertainment if you don’t have your own headset. It’s the kind of littleness that make you lose client.
AircraftBoeing
RouteParis to Keflavik

"seats are miserable"

Not Verified | Boston to Helsinki via Keflavik. When you get on the plane and they warn you they rented the plane because of the 737max being grounded you know it's gonna suck and it did! The seats are miserable, no legroom, no wifi, second rate entertainment, rude attendants. This airline used to be good and why we bought the 6 tickets to get us to Finland. Never again.
RouteBoston to Helsinki via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"airline is definitely not worth it"

Not Verified | Flew from London Gatwick to Keflavik in Iceland on flight FI471 last year. This airline is definitely not worth it. It claims not to be a budget airline but then doesn’t provide any food for free on a 3 hour flight! They do however provide one small drink for free. There was entertainment in the back of the seat but their were barely any choices to pick from and you had to pay for earplugs! The seats were okay but nothing special. The ground crew are so rude. I had special priority boarding thanks to the Gatwick airports hidden disability lanyards and the lady at the gate made a huge fuss about it and made me feel very embarrassed. She clearly knew what the lanyard was for. Finally a nice, friendly lady came over and let me board. The plane was quite old and small. You have to pay for checked in baggage.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Reykjavík Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Do not use this airline"

Trip Verified | Minnesota to Oslo via Keflavik. Do not use this airline. In July on a flight to and from Norway they changed our seats from more leg room to less without telling us or reimbursing us for the extra leg room we paid for. Then on the way home from Iceland we bought a set of ear buds and they charged us in Icelandic currency and when converted it came to 138.00 US for set of ear buds, the steward didn't tell us that, they had told us it would be about 7 or 8 dollars. They have refused to reimburse us for the over charge. Ear buds specially the cheap kind on airplanes don't cost 138 dollars Don't use this airline, if you do watch their tactics, they will take advantage over ones trust and naivety. Wish i could rate them a 0.
RouteMinnesota to Oslo via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"a horrible experience for me"

Trip Verified | I was travelling with my wife on 14th August 2019 from Manchester to Manchester to Reykjavik with Icelandair and I had 2 bags to check in which were 19.2 kilo and 13 kilo (23 kilo per bag allowed). My hand luggage was the exact size required but it was slightly bulging and it was slightly difficult to fit in the metal box. I also had a pain in my hand so I was not able to push this very hard inside the metal box. I requested the person on the counter to accept this as I had travelled with this same hand luggage numerous times and there was no issue in the past but I was asked to pay £47 which was shocking to me. The guy on the counter did not wanted to listen to anything. We had no choice left but to pay the charges. Then I decided to try again to fit the bag in the metal box and I took my jacket out from the bag and with the help of my wife we managed to fit this in the metal box and as we showed this to the guy on the counter I could see his pale face and expression. This was a horrible experience for me and I will never travel with Icelandair again. They have no respect to passengers and they are only there to rip you off. I was not asking to give me any favours or break the rules but a little bit of common sense from the guys on the other side of counter would make lot of difference to all passengers and overall good experience to check in.
RouteManchester to Reykjavik

"what a mistake it was"

Not Verified | This was the most uncomfortable flight I've ever been on in my life. My husband and I flew Icelandair to Zurich for our honeymoon, and what a mistake it was. We were packed in to an old 757 jet like sardines with no leg room, small arm rests and rock hard seats. The air was turned off most the time making the plane extremely hot and stuffy. The seats did lean back, but because the seats were so close together, when you leaned the seats back it smashed the legs of the person in back of you. I had the lady behind me begging me to put my seat back up. This was an 10hr red-eye flight overseas! After a miserable 10 hours (and I wish I was exaggerating) we were waiting over an hour for our bags at the baggage gate. After thinking our bags may have been lost (many other people were waitin thinking the same thing) an intercom came on saying something on lines of, 'oops we found some extra bags in another truck and will be putting them through in soon'. Please, please save yourself the misery of flying with this air to Europe. It's not worth your money or your sanity. I've flow with many other airlines overseas and had great experiences: United, American and Hawaiian just to name a few.
RouteDenver to Zurich
Date FlownAugust 2019

"sold one product and given another"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Boston via Keflavik. Along with many other of the customer's reviewed here, I was part of the Icelandair's plane switch due to the Boeing 737 Max groundings. The planes that they replaced them with are smaller, cramped, tinny (vibrating quite a bit upon take off), and with really bad entertainment systems (didn't work for half the plane on the Amsterdam-Keflavik leg of my journey) with crummy selections. I used to love Icelandair. I am tall and their extra leg space meant I could still feel my legs after a trans-Atlantic flight. The service was basic, but the flight staff have always been kind and accommodating. And I love stopping in Iceland, it is a beautiful place. The flights this summer were with replacement planes. I was not notified of this when buying the ticket, or before my first flight in June. The seats were extremely cramped and narrow. Sitting all the way back my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me. My shoulders were held tight in order not to cramp others out of their space. The flight staff went above and beyond to make my seating better, and my experience better, but they couldn't change the seats. My main problem is that I was sold one product and given another. The flight staff were apologetic and gave me a card with contact info. This was the replay I received: "I´m sorry ... We are doing our very best in a difficult situation and trying to avoid massive flight cancellations in the best way we can. Best regards" It was a revealing testament to the difference between the flight staff and the corporate office. Shame on you Icelandair, throwing your customers under the proverbial bus. Shame.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteAmsterdam to Boston via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"We received different seats"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Vancouver via Reykjavik in July. We still have several claims opened with Icelandair due to different incidents occurred during the flights, this is related the first flight. We were flying with a baby (<2 years) so we decided to purchase seats with more legroom / extra space. We decided to make the reservation for the seats, already in February when we did the purchase of the flight. We did reservation for extra legroom seats for the long flights (between 80- 100€ for each seat), and for normal seats for the short flights (between 20-30€ for each seat). But when we did the check 24hrs before our first flight in July, surprise! We received different seats for all flights (long and short), it was impossible to get our extra leg room seats without paying again, so we decided to complain at the airport before flying, unfortunately without success. Icelandair gave us several excuses: seats are not suitable when flying with babies (why was then possible for us to reserve them?), airplane change.They said we have to claim for our money via internet / Icelandair webpage customer support. We did it directly after our flight, and currently two weeks later we just have received an email saying that we will be compensated for the extra legroom reservation (nothing about the rest of seats reservation) in 4-6 weeks. Airplanes are old - Food service for all flights (long and short) have to be paid. The food quality and quantity is poor. Service is very slow. Flight entertainment has to be updated - Wifi service only paid service. No Customer service existing when complaining. Seat space is rare and is the same for long and short flights.
RouteBerlin to Vancouver via Reykjavik