Icelandair

"Awful experience"

Trip Verified | I paid for the luggage to go from Seattle to Barcelona and from Barcelona back to Seattle. When I went to the airport they wouldn't refund my money and they told me I have to call Icelandair. When I called to get a refund they refuse to even take my claim or to transfer me with a supervisor. On top of that, the flight attendants were extremely rude, we had to go up stairs with luggage, baby, carry-ons, baby strollers and more, and take a bus who was extremely rough driving and made a lot of people fall (no seats available on the bus). Awful experience, never again.
RouteBarcelona to Seattle
Date FlownAugust 2023

"never book with this airline again"

Trip Verified | We booked an economy roundtrip ticket from Toronto to London via Reykjavík and back to Toronto from Berlin again via Reykjavík. We knew that we had to pay for our checked in luggage (which is so weird for an international flight paid over $1,500 but OK). However, when we were about to check in one luggage on the way back to Toronto, we got the notification that we have to pay twice for 2 itineraries, one from Berlin to Reykjavík and one from Reykjavík to Toronto for a total of $130 for 1 luggage. Super disappointed and did not check in my luggage. Also, they served nothing than water or coffee. I had a short layover in Reykjavík with my kid, I had to run and buy stuff from the closest store to our gate in Reykjavík for $$$. I don't recommend the airline and will never book with this airline again unless is free plus some rewards.
RouteBerlin to Toronto via Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"no included meal or snacks"

Not Verified | I don’t think I would ever fly with Icelandair again. When walking to the boarding gate they had said my carry on was too large and they could check it which was no problem. During the 8 hour flight it took roughly 2 hours to get water and to my surprise there was no included meal or snacks throughout the flight. I am not sure if that is a normal occurrence, but I am not impressed with the lack of service and accommodation that this airline provides. After claiming my baggage the handle that retracts is broken and I’m hoping to get in contact with them however they haven’t emailed back, would avoid this airline if you can!
RouteKeflavik to Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2023

"I wouldn’t recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience. We had a business class direct flight from BWI to KEH and they canceled the flight do to weather. Clear sky in both locations and another flight flew the same route at the same time with a different airline perfectly fine. It’s terrible how airlines do what they please and make excuses all so they don’t have to refund you. They then rebooked our 5 hour direct flight into a 14 hour trip through London with a 4 hour layover. Someone should be able to keep airlines like this accountable for false cancellations. I wouldn’t recommend this airline to my worst enemy.
RouteBaltimore to Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"refused to cover minimal delay compensation"

Trip Verified | I wouldn't fly Icelandair if you want your luggage to arrive with you. I checked my bag 4.5hrs before flight on Aug 17 from Reykjavik to Denver. It never arrived and sat in Denver 4 days while they tried to figure out where Flagstaff, Arizona was (6 flights daily Denver to Flag via American airlines. Then stupidly sent it to Tucson where it still sits a week later (8/24) and they refused to cover minimal delay compensation. They absolutely suck, you get what you pay for and it ends up costing you more in time, trouble, money and emails than flying with a more reputable airline which do correct their mistakes when they occur such as delayed or lost baggage.
RouteReykjavik to Denver
Date FlownAugust 2023

"flight was horrifically delayed"

Not Verified | Saga Class, Denver to Amsterdam via Keflavik. Flight delays for over an hour. Wrong name on ticket led to my needing to spend an additional $1,200 to change my name (which they again got wrong) even while I was told it would be a simple fix. Drinks in business class were warm, so no champagne or white wine. They were warm on all 4 flights we took including two legs in Economy class. Only one of the last 6 flights we've taken with them was on time, every other flight was horrifically delayed without much communication. One flight was delayed by two hours while we were standing in line 3 hours early and only my wife was notified and she shared it with me, who made the reservations, and also several people in line who didn't receive the notification. We paid over $5k US for Saga class and it's nothing more than the seat you are paying for as the level of service is dismal. In flight wifi never worked on any leg not even when we paid $12 for access. I was taken to a room and patted down and had every item of mine tested for gunpowder residue they said because it was random but this was following multiple delays a near missed connection, a name issue on my tickets that cost me more money and terrible service all around. They refused to give us a set of the cheap headphones when the wifi didn't work. There was no meal served on an 8 hour flight. The seats are so old there is zero padding so we had to sit on the pillows and couldn't get another one for our heads. Just awful and everything you think of when you think of a budget airline.
RouteDenver to Amsterdam via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2023

"this is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | After 80 countries visited, this is the worst airline. Nickel and dime you, including some of the highest baggage costs for an international flight. Every other airline accepts the standard carry on, but they don't. Their sizes are different than other airlines. We paid to reserve seats and at no time did they tell us the seats we reserved were limited recline. Why did I pay for one of the only few seats that doesn't recline. Boarding process seems scattered and hectic. Not a fan and will look elsewhere for flights to Europe and iceland.
RouteBoston to Keflavík
Date FlownAugust 2023

"seat upgrade and meals can't be refunded"

Trip Verified | Buyer beware! I bought a nonrefundable ticket in December and was unexpectedly laid off in July. I purchased meals and upgraded seats for two passengers for a trip in September. I understand I could not get a refund for the basic airfare but I don't understand why the seat upgrade and meals can't be refunded. They will not even give me a travel credit. They are really kicking a person when they're down.
RouteBoston to Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2023

"no issues and got me there on time"

Not Verified | The flight was fine - ample legroom, nice entertainment options, clean onboard bathrooms and pleasant staff. The food kinda sucked and you have to pay for it. Icelandair was great - no issues and got me there on time.
RouteStockholm to Portland via Reykjavík
Date FlownAugust 2023

"I will never fly Icelandair again"

Trip Verified | The day before our flights I was told our business class seats were being downgraded. Turned out only one leg of the trip was downgraded. We requested a wheelchair for my husband. No wheelchair was in sight when we landed in Seattle. We had another flight to catch so my husband started walking. No one with a wheelchair came to our rescue. I found a wheelchair and pushed the wheelchair while towing and carrying our luggage. The customs agent said that it is common for there to be no one with a wheelchair even when requested. After arriving home, I received an email stating that only half of the fare between business and economy class would be refunded. I will never fly Icelandair again.
RouteBergen to Seattle via Reykjavik