Icelandair

"efficient but perfunctory"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Keflavik return in October 2018 in Saga Class. Icelandair has recently reinstated direct flights from San Francisco to Iceland. On the outbound flight we had a large amount of excess pre-paid luggage that was handled very professionally by the ground staff. As my earlier reviews cite, the boarding process in the USA is very streamlined unlike the chaos at Keflavík. The on-board service on both the segments was efficient but perfunctory. There is no special touch for what is supposed to be a premium class experience. The hospitality ethic is not part of Icelandair's ethos. The hard product is also behind the times. No flatbed here - the seats in Saga Class are more like the First Class seats on US domestic flights. Nevertheless, Icelandair has a good on-time record and they get you to your destination without drama. The boarding process at Keflavík remains a disgrace. The entire scene reminds one of a chaotic bus station in a Third World country. Those flying Saga Class have to jostle with the rest to even get to the priority boarding line. One bright spot - the new Saga Lounge is very nice.
RouteSan Francisco to Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2018

"last two times were chaotic"

Trip Verified | Boston to Oslo via Keflavik. My first time traveling through Keflavik was 3 years ago and since then they have made improvements and expanded, a little. I’ve flown into and out of Keflavik about five times and the last two times were kind of a nightmare. It doesn’t bother me that we unboard on the tarmac and get bussed to the airport doors. It doesn’t bother me that options for food are limited and mediocre. I do like the spicy tuna sandwiches at Joe and the juice. I like to also fill up my water bottle with some wonderful Icelandic water from the fountain . What really upsets me is that the gates are too close together and there is no where for you to sit and wait for your plane without being in the way. Like other reviewers have stated it can be a nightmare when there are multiple flights landing and leaving within minutes of each other. Chaos should not be part of an airports experience. The last two times were truly chaotic because no one knew where to line up, or even if they were at the right gate because the lines extended down the terminal. In fact, on my most recent flight we were told by an Icelandair employee to NOT form a single line because it would be too long! I don’t like queuing up or waiting in line for too long. I’m at an airport so there’s nothing I can do about that. What really gives me anxiety is when there is no line but rather a herd of people forming a bottleneck to get their boarding pass scanned. On this last flight, there were multi times when someone got upset because another person or group got in front of them. I don’t know who is to blame for this terrible design. But it really needs to be addressed, it is a problem!
RouteBoston to Oslo via Keflavik
Date FlownNovember 2018

"staff at check in particularly rude"

Trip Verified | Washington to London via Reykjavik. Not a good choice. No relationship with TSA so you can’t use Global Entry in the USA and a hand baggage allowance that’s so small it’s less than US domestic carriers. Result - travelling clutching valuables after they insist on checking in my one and only piece of luggage. And staff at check in particularly rude. It was a fair priced ticket but there reaches a point when you silently decide you are never going to use an airline again and mention the fact to those you work with. That happened tonight. I suspect it will in the end collapse financially because if it’s going to be cheap it also needs to be cheerful - and it wasn’t.
RouteWashington to London via Reykjavik
Date FlownNovember 2018

"disappointed by the service"

Not Verified | I have been very disappointed by the service received by this airline. My husband and I fly around 8 times a year and for this trip had upgraded to business class to allow us to sleep. Issue one the first flight was late, there was no communication or organisation of any form by the airport staff. No one had a Clue what was going on and when we would be leaving, we queued up and then told to wait then lined up again, but there was no organisation. For Business class we were expecting a fully reclined seat to allow us to sleep. No. The staff on the flight were rude and no help. When we landed at Reykjavik there was very poor signage and direction to allow us to find our connecting flight. When we eventually did our boarding time came and went, there was an area which had to be emptied of people to then allow us to be checked in. By this time the flight was already delayed with no communication. We approached the airline representative as we were checked in and advised that the organisation was appalling. To which she replied ' I know' and passed us through. When we boarded we were given a shot of fruit juice as we sat down. 45 mins after we were already late we were advised that we were awaiting a passenger and would be waiting a furthe half hour before we departed. A further 45mins later we then started to complete some of the take off routines, and the flight staff were abrupt and not responsive to any queries of the new arrival times. When we arrived in London we then discovered that out luggage had been damaged. After returning home I contacted customer service to explain my disappointment in the service and damaged luggage and was sent the most unapologetic response and damage claim form. I asked to speak to someone on the phone to express my dissatisfaction and was told that they cannot take calls in any circumstances and that I must only follow the claim damage form. I have completed the form and was told it can take up to two weeks for the payment to clear, it has now been over 3 weeks and I have not seen the funds. Customer service and the cabin and ground staff have no interest in you as a customer, even a business class customer. This airline is only interested in profits and taking your money. It is not worth the money and I will not be flying with them again.
RouteWashington to London via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2018

"They lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Keflavik. Absolutely garbage airline. While the flight itself was nice, I would never recommend anyone ever fly this airline. They lost my luggage and will make no effort to find it and provide you with absolutely no customer support.
RouteToronto to Keflavik

"most uncomfortable airplane"

Not Verified | Frankfurt to Seattle via Keflavik. This is the most uncomfortable airplane for a long flight. The seats are not designed to keep the passenger in any level of acceptable comfort. After a hour most passengers are squirming in their seats. In addition the airport in Reykjavík is not large enough to handle the number of flights passing through that location. the airport lacks sufficient gates and must use buses to move passengers to and from their aircraft. the weather is often wet and windy making this method uncomfortable for the traveler.
RouteFrankfurt to Seattle via Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Paris via Kevlavik. I was scammed by the worst airline that I ever traveled My last trip has been with Icelandair via Kevlavik. Traveling with them was the worst flight experience that I ever had. I booked my trip in March 2018 for September. I checked at the booking time the company luggage policy allowed me for a big case of 23 kg and 10 kg for the hand case. Meantime they downgraded my ticked without notify me, so when I checked my luggage in Montreal they asked for 120 $ for the 23 kg bag while the 10 kg was free. Too late to challenge this so I paid the money. In the airplane they serve overpriced tasteless food. Only few passengers bought their meal. They are also stingy. If you ask for a Pepsi of Coca, they take the rest of the can and you have to pay if you asked for more. I cannot rate the flight attendants too much because since nobody gets food, they are mostly doing nothing during the trip. Not having a complementary meal during the flight shows the company disrespect towards their customers. On the return trip from Paris I was not willing to pay again for the big case so I got rid of it, keeping the 10 kg only. Surprise they asked to pay 88 Euro, motivating that from Paris the airline charges for hand luggage too. Unfortunately I could not get rid of it because I had some sentimental gifts from my friends which I couldn’t throw away. Knowing how they treat the passengers on the airplane, I bought food from Paris terminal which was three time cheaper than the one from Icelandair plane. The same terrible transit through Kevlavik airport so in the end I made safely back to Montreal.
RouteMontreal to Paris via Kevlavik

"treatment extremely disappointing"

Trip Verified | In July 2018 I booked a flight from Edmonton to Iceland through a travel agency for December 15 2018. I called Icelandair to upgrade my seat and was advised that my flight was cancelled completely. Due to this I am out $356 for my hotel. I requested Icelandair reimburse my lost money due to their cancellation and was advised by their reservations that nothing would be done and no compensation would be given. I asked multiple times to let me speak to a supervisor and was told I would not be sent to a supervisor. I am extremely disappointed that Icelandair is taking no action on my lost expenses due to their changes. The treatment and not being able to speak to a supervisor was also extremely disappointing. I travel multiple times in a year and have never been treated so poorly by an airline.
RouteEdmonton to Keflavik

"a great experience"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Keflavik. Icelandair has excellent service. The plane was boarded promptly and left on time. In economy class they give you a bottle of water and greet you. The flight attendants were cordial and pleasant. The value proposition is amazing. For the price we paid we got 32 inches seat pitch instead of 31-29 which would be expected at this price range. We also have IFE in the seatback which was great. Overall just a great experience.
RouteToronto to Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Icelandair is a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Kansas City via Keflavik. For over 3 months in advance of our trip, I attempted to contact IcelandAir about a concern I had with our names on our tickets not including our middle names. I tried calling IcelandAir which would either lead me to being hung up on due to high call volume, or being told I would have to wait over an hour on hold, and end up getting disconnected. The only way I was able to contact anybody at IcelandAir over 3 months before our trip was through Twitter. Icelandair’s website is still confusing, and their response to my basic question about ticket names was vague and unacceptable. They told me to “take responsibility.” I took responsibility by inquiring about this 3 1/2 months in advance. It's not my responsibility for being confused and not able to get a proper response from the airline. That's on IcelandAir. A couple of months later, after several more attempts at calling them, I had another twitter conversation, which somewhat answered my question finally. I then picked out the seats I wanted and had an e-ticket for myself and my wife with our seats printed on it, only to find out the day before our flight home from Europe that those seats weren’t actually ours, and we’d be seated 15 rows apart! After dropping another $430 on business class seats, I ended up having to pay an additional $55 just so that we could sit in the seats we had already originally picked and had printed on our tickets! We flew with 5 other airlines within 2 weeks of our European trip, and had absolute zero issues with every other airline, and only had issues with IcelandAir, that began and continued through over 3 1/2 months from booking until take off. The response I got over email about our non-business class seats on our first leg flight was “we cannot guarantee any particular seat. We reserve the right to assign or reassign seats at any time, even after boarding of the aircraft as we sometimes have to change aircraft.” Then why exactly did your website allow me to pick seats and then print them on our ticket!? They didn’t change aircraft .We literally had nothing but extreme anxiety during our trip knowing that we would be flying with this terrible airline who has nobody to speak to in customer relations and could care less about the customer entirely anyway, which has been shown through their complete lack of responsibility. Icelandair is a nightmare.
RouteDublin to Kansas City via Keflavik