Icelandair

"transatlantic avoid them"

Trip Verified | This was our second Icelandair go and back flight. Since their fleet of Boeing 767 and 757 is getting old and worn out they had to find a replacement, and, obviously not being willing to change to Airbus, the only option they had was the ill-fated 737Max, which still needs to regain its reputation. The last grounding was in April, but now Icelandair claims everything is under control. This plane is just new but not more advanced inside or more comfortable than their old planes. Seats are leather and about the same comfort as we had many years ago on old 737s, with not much recline. The galleys are tiny, and so is the room for the toilet cubicles. The first row in Economy is with more legroom, but you pay extra. Noise level is not better than in old planes. The TV screens in that first row are lowered into a pocket between the seats, and the crew has to help everybody to retrieve them and pull them up. The food service is typical Icelandair, just minimal. We flew Saga class last time, and it was the same. Advice: do not fly Saga class, the price difference is too much. Bring your own food. Cabin attendants were friendly but not extremely keen on making you feel comfortable. If you need something you have to tell them. Pilots only announced the bare minimum they are required to. Ground service provided by agent at Zurich was excellent as always, but at Keflavik it was low quality. On-time performance was good, but easy to achieve in low Corona passenger numbers. Fly Icelandair if you go to Iceland, but transatlantic avoid them, the change of planes in KEF is an ordeal.
AircraftBoeing 737MAX
RouteZurich to Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2021

"The money was never returned"

Trip Verified | We purchased tickets via a Discover credit card to fly Denver-Reychevik-Stockholm for 7/1/20 with a return trip 2 weeks later from Helsinki on 7/16/20. With the pandemic, the flight did not occur, and Icelandair would not answer their phone or e-mail. This continues through today. The money for the business class tickets was never returned. In essence Icelandair has stolen several thousand dollars from us by keeping our money for a trip that never happened. We have notified the state attorney general about this, but unfortunately settling such matters thru the courts is a long and arduous process. As such we can only notify other potential customers about such deceptive and unethical practices.
RouteDenver to Copenhagen via Reykjavik
Date FlownAugust 2020

"Icelandair was very disingenuous with me"

Trip Verified | My wife and I was supposed to fly in September 2020 for my 70th birthday to Ireland and Scotland. We all know what occurred starting in March 2020. Covid-19. Due to health and safety issues I continually checked to see if Icelandair was going to cancel our flights. It seemed to me that Icelandair was playing chicken with our flights so that instead of letting me know that they were cancelling the flights and that I could get a refund, they kept me in the dark as to the status of our flights thereby forcing me to cancel my flight and take a travel voucher instead or potentially losing $1600.00+ dollars. I am also aware that I was not the only traveler to experience this problem. So I got a travel voucher only to find out later, when speaking to an Icelandair representative that my flights had been cancelled. So to put it succinctly, Icelandair was very disingenuous with me. I should have received information that Icelandair had cancelled my flights and I should have received a refund. Now they refuse to give me a refund because I got a travel voucher. Another way to look at this is that, at the expense of the traveler, Icelandair keeps your money to keep them afloat. Simply horrible.
RouteChicago O'Hare to Dublin
Date FlownSeptember 2020

"one of the best flight experiences I've had"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | I just flew with Iceland air from Copenhagen to Reykjavik yesterday, and I feel the need to support this company. I found a flight with them to Iceland for around 70 Euros, which is pretty cheep for a flight to Iceland. Included was a travel suitcase and a personal item, so no extra money spent. As soon as I came on board I was given a water bottle and a sealed bag with a mask and cleaning items. In addition I could pick a free beverage, soft drink or tea/coffee, 30 min into the flight (children were also given free meals boxes). The seat was comfy, could be reclined and the space greater than what I have grow accustomed to when flying, and they have a TV screen in front of every seat, full of entertainment and flight information. But what really made it for me was the positive attitude and friendliness of the staff on board. It can't be easy to do this job in the middle of a pandemic, but they were always willing to assist with a smile on their face. Honestly one of the best flight experiences I've had. P.S. We flew right past the volcano, it was really cool to see the tongues of fire coming from the ground, and how the lava is slowly filling up the valley.
RouteCopenhagen to Reykjavik
Date FlownMay 2021

"I couldn't have wished for any better treatment"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | I've been flying with Icelandair numerous times during this pandemic, which I understand is a very hard time for the business. I've always been treated very good and now during my latest flight I wasn't able to go with my original flight through Copenhagen which would have led me to have to reschedule my flight to another day. Instead the staff at Icelandair fixed for me so I could go to Sweden through Amsterdam. Previously they've had excellent service when flights have been cancelled. I've been able to reschedule to other flights that should have been more expensive, without paying the difference. I couldn't have wished for any better treatment and am so happy that this is a company I trusted to help me when flying between Sweden and Iceland. Will definitely always use this company when traveling to Iceland (and somewhere else if possible). I lived in Iceland but I'm Swedish, that's why I had to travel between the country even though the pandemic.
AircraftFI500
RouteIceland to Sweden via Amsterdam
Date FlownFebruary 2021

"refused to provide a refund"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to go to Sweden in July of 2020 but the trip was cancelled as a result of the COVID19 Pandemic. In the weeks/months leading up to the trip, their customer hotline was busy and I was told that they were only addressing travel in the next 48 hours. Later, in their email notifying us of the cancellation, there was a clear "Click here for a Travel Voucher". After completing this, I later found a link for a credit refund (buried somewhere on their website). I submitted a refund request. Shortly afterwards, they issued a travel voucher but refused to provide a refund. When I called to get the travel voucher exchanged for a refund, I was told that it was impossible because I had submitted a travel voucher first! Obviously the pandemic upended travel plans everywhere for everyone and I find it inconceivable that they would only issue a travel voucher.
RouteBoston to Stockholm via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2020

"would not fly Icelandair ever again"

Not Verified | If I had any other option - I would not fly Icelandair ever again. In March they cancelled my flight from Gatwick to Keflavik less than a week before the fly date, rebooked me on another flight which was then cancelled again 3 days before the departure even after I contacted their customer service to make sure that it will not be cancelled (they told me that it will 100% not be cancelled cause they're trying to bring all the natives home because of Covid - I'm Icelandic so was reassured by this which was a huge mistake). I ended up buying a last minute flight with EasyJet to get home to my family. So overall it cost me between £1k-£1.5k with the many train tickets I had to buy cause they kept cancelling and the last minute flight. Didn't get my refund until September and that was after I contacted the CEO directly. During summer and easter I kept calling their customer service which just told me that I'm in a queue to get a refund (complete bollocks since people who got their flights cancelled in July/August were getting their refunds while I was still waiting from March!). Now, I need to get back to the UK since my university is starting again, Icelandair is the only airline flying between UK and Iceland that doesn't have any connections in different countries right now so I had no chocie to book with them again. My flight was supposed to be this Saturday and I just received an email from them that it was cancelled - 2 days before departure. They rebooked me for Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised at all if I got an email from them tomorrow or on Sat that, that flight will be cancelled as well. Not to mention, I already booked the train tickets and the hotel for Saturday and changing that to Sunday cost me yet again a lot of money and I had to call my student accommodation and let them now of the change in plans as well. If you have any other option then Icelandair, even if it's more expensive, choose it.
RouteKeflavik to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2020

" the seating wasn't bad for coach"

Not Verified | I had the foresight to fly back home cheaply before borders were shut in some countries. Boeing 757's are hardly spacious but the seating wasn't bad for coach in a narrow body.The cabin was immaculate, it had that new plane smell. Crew polite and efficient, if a little reserved compared to other nationalities. I don't expect to be pampered on a low cost airline. Buy on board menu was ok, fairly priced for a European airline.
RouteOrlando to Copenhagen via Reykjavik
Date FlownMarch 2020

"only two passengers on the flight"

Not Verified | Reykjavik to Boston during the COVID19 shutdown. There were only two passengers on the flight. When boarding we were told there was water and a snack on our seat. I was able to stretch out for the five hour flight. It was difficult times and the airline did well.
RouteReykjavik to Boston
Date FlownApril 2020

"cancelled without me being notified"

Trip Verified | On June 27 I flew from Sacramento CA to Seattle to take Icelandair flight 680 to Iceland only to find out that the flight had been cancelled without me being notified. No flights back the same day so I had to rent a car to drive back to Sacramento, about 14 hours. Vacation gone so no way of even contacting the airline. Customer number just a recording pointing you to one place or the other on their website. Icelandair is is the most dishonest company I have ever done business with.
RouteSeattle to Reykjavik