Icelandair

"Food was inedible"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Keflavik. I knew that Icelandair is a budget airline, but surprisingly the flights themselves were first rate - they departed on time and arrived earlier than scheduled. I commend the crew on being professional in this regard. However, everything else was poor! Starting with my seats. I specifically need aisle seats, and chose 15G for the departing flight and 38B on the return flight. Both seats were chosen at random, and even so, in checking with Seatguru.com there is no mention that both of these seats were bad. However, they were terrible. There was no way possible to fit my backpack (i.e. my carryon bag). Why? Because some idiot decided to place a huge horizontal plastic contraption right under the seat in front of mine thereby blocking the possibility of placing anything other than a tiny (4" x 4") item underneath. So I needed to put my backpack in the overhead cabinet. Then on my departing flight a flight attendant (more likely) or another passenger thought it would be cool to move my backpack without my knowledge to the other overhead cabinet across the aisle from me although there was no need to do that. This caused panic when I arrived to open my overhead cabinet and not find my backpack! Had to search frantically before finding it. The cabin crew on the departing SFO flight were okay (two were anyway). However, when it came to the 'meal' service I prepaid for two meals (for my son and myself) yet they claimed I paid for none. They asked to make copies of my receipt so fortunately I thought to print it out and bring it with me. Remember this in case you prepay for anything via their website!! Because this pattern followed for the return flight as well: The cabin crew claimed that I only paid for one meal when my receipt (and my credit card statement) clearly showed that I paid for two meals instead. In fact, before my return flight I paid for extra baggage and received confirmation online. Yet when I got to KEF the staff said I did not pay for second piece of luggage, that it's probably late in showing in their system! What a lie because it had already shown up instantly when their website charged my credit card days prior. Furthermore to their service, I find that overall the Icelandair cabin crew members to be sour, sullen, and really rude. At one point, for instance, the couple in front of us decided to use their right to recline all the way even when it was meal time. I kindly asked the flight attendant to ask them to have them put their seats up. Instead of complying like what other airlines' flight attendants would do without any hesitation, she instead told me that I could recline and eat! I got terribly irritated at that rude reply that I told her that I never eat while reclined. She did finally but reluctantly. To be fair, there were a few (a few mind you) crew members who did their jobs well and were not rude. Also there are tons of staff just milling around gossiping at KEF because it's the passengers who need to do self-service check in! Food was inedible. Not even fit for animals. And exorbitant prices too. Just buy your own at the airport and bring on board. Honestly. Entertainment: Outdated films, head phones costs 5 euro!
RouteSan Francisco to Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"not purchase their insurance"

Trip Verified | Boston to Dublin via Keflavik. I highly encourage all people who book through Iceland Air to not purchase their insurance since they make it very difficult to actually make a claim. This is not a general cancellation insurance. It only covers medical situations covered by a doctor's note. This is very inconvenient and not what most people consider typical cancellation insurance. I even supplied a doctor's summary diagnosis but they rejected it since it was not signed by the doctor. I will chalk this up as just another way that Iceland Air nickel/dimes you after you purchase their tickets.
RouteBoston to Dublin via Keflavik
Date FlownApril 2018

"bad way to treat customers"

Trip Verified | Keflavik to Newark, had ticket with assigned seats. At checkin Icelandair changed seats, saying assigned seats cost more and we had to paid up or take what they offered. On the 5 hour flight home the first seats assigned to us were empty all the way. Very bad way to treat customers. Never again.
AircraftBoeing 737 max
RouteKeflavik to Newark
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"I'd rather go Ryanair"

Not Verified | Manchester to Halifax via Rejaykvik. Pre-ordered food never arrived. 4 flights, of which 3 had technical issues causing delays. Lounge in Manchester is awful. No lounge in Halifax. Baggage left outside and soaked in Iceland. No access to lounge in Iceland because it is on the other side of security. Rejaykvik airport so busy - nowhere to sit. Security queues too long to use lounge Avoid at all costs. I'd rather go Ryanair and that's saying something. To cap it all, on the back of three business class flight tickets they offered £30 compensation in points. I didn't bother responding. My time better spent here.
RouteManchester to Halifax via Rejaykvik
Date FlownAugust 2018

"flight was pleasant"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Oslo to Keflavík in Saga Class. If there's one thing that Icelandair is good at, it is its on-time performance for the most part. This 3 hours flight was pleasant, and on-board service was warm. Icelandair's Saga Class seat, while comfortable for shorter flights, is way behind the times.
RouteOslo to Keflavík
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Vancouver via Reykjavik. We paid $ 176.48 for 1 checked bag each, and was assured this would take us through to Vancouver. When we arrived in Reykjavik we had to go through check in again and told we had to pay another $88 to continue on to Vancouver, for a total of $264.48 for 2 checked bags well under the allotted weight of 50 lbs.each. While going through boarding, a passengers carry on bag was too large to fit in the frame to allow it as carry on, "No problem" they just tagged it and told him to hand it to the flight crew to be stored on board "No Charge" Our departure lounge in Reykjavik. I believe #28 had very few, if any seating most of the passengers were sitting on the floor. Be prepared to take food on board with you or purchase from an extremely limited menu. We each had a pizza, about the size of a thin pocket novel for $11 each. We flew Icelandair about 5 years ago and were so happy with that experience, we raved about them to everyone. We can't believe this is the same airline, while waiting to be boarded, one attendent was checking people through while the other was walking around doing a survey. We will never use this airline again.
RouteDublin to Vancouver via Reykjavik
Date FlownDecember 2018

"completely happy with the service"

Trip Verified | We got a great deal on the fare from DFW to KEF and decided to give it a try. We knew that luggage was not included in the cheapest fare so we paid just a little more for one person to get a bag included and I just used a carry on which is already included. Overall this was still a very cheap flight. I was completely happy with the service of the airline. It was all very efficient and the employees were all very kind. The plane is a smaller plane for a long haul flight but everyone still had TV screens for entertainment and whatnot so we were happy. Not a luxury airline by any means but let's be honest, neither is American, Delta or United. I would equate it to flying on one of their planes within the US but it is just a little longer flight. If you are not a high maintenance traveler, you will be totally fine on this trip. The only hint I would give you is to bring your own food. We knew that food was not included which was fine. We were happy to pay as the flights were so cheap, but the food was pretty awful. The pictures on the menu look nice but they do not reflect the real food. Asian soup = ramen in a styrofoam cup. Margarita flatbread = microwave pizza in a cardboard box. Other than the food, the experience was great. Sodas, coffee, water, etc. was all free, just bring food with you for the trip and you will be happy!
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteDallas to Reykjavik
Date FlownNovember 2018

"will never use them again"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Paris via Keflavik. As a budget Airline - you get what you pay for! Our flight was delayed from our origin point due to weather - beyond anyone's control, but we never should have left. We arrived to a madhouse and a grounded airport. Our connecting flight was cancelled due to weather and they did pay for our hotel, but we spent hours in line due to minimal staffing. When we finally left Iceland we were assured our bag got on our re-booked flight, this was a complete lie to clear the airport. They knew our bags would arrive the next day and lied to just get us gone. Then in Paris we had to deal with a third party to find our lost bag and got equally bad customer service. We didn't get our bag for 2 days and easily lost that much of our trip due to their bad customer service. Again - it's a budget Airline so I don't know how much better to really expect. I will never use them again and recommend not flying budget for international flights!
RouteMinneapolis to Paris via Keflavik
Date FlownNovember 2018

"luggage been held in Seattle"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Reykjavík. We arrived at Reykjavik airport and waited for our luggage for over an hour. Only to find out it had deliberately been held in Seattle because the plane was “overloaded”. This happened to about six other passengers that I was aware of. Which was interesting given that the plane was not full at all. It seems they load it with cargo which takes precendence over passenger luggage. I didn’t receive my luggage until 39 hours after arrival.
RouteSeattle to Reykjavík
Date FlownOctober 2018

"efficient but perfunctory"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Keflavik return in October 2018 in Saga Class. Icelandair has recently reinstated direct flights from San Francisco to Iceland. On the outbound flight we had a large amount of excess pre-paid luggage that was handled very professionally by the ground staff. As my earlier reviews cite, the boarding process in the USA is very streamlined unlike the chaos at Keflavík. The on-board service on both the segments was efficient but perfunctory. There is no special touch for what is supposed to be a premium class experience. The hospitality ethic is not part of Icelandair's ethos. The hard product is also behind the times. No flatbed here - the seats in Saga Class are more like the First Class seats on US domestic flights. Nevertheless, Icelandair has a good on-time record and they get you to your destination without drama. The boarding process at Keflavík remains a disgrace. The entire scene reminds one of a chaotic bus station in a Third World country. Those flying Saga Class have to jostle with the rest to even get to the priority boarding line. One bright spot - the new Saga Lounge is very nice.
RouteSan Francisco to Keflavik