Icelandair

"will not give us any credit"

Trip Verified | We were scheduled to fly out of Boston to Reykjavik, but our flight to Boston was late getting to the gate due to weather in Boston. The Iceland air flight left early, and the airline cancelled the return flight. The airline refused to help us book another flight and will not give us any credit. We also lost money on our hotel because we could not fly there.
RouteBoston to Reykjavik

"they changed my ticket"

Not Verified | Horrible, I bought ticket Montreal-Reykjavik then they changed my ticket to Toronto-Reykjavik, I had to beg to get a flight from Montreal to Toronto since I live in Montreal. They finally did it but they were expecting us to just accept the fact of flight from Toronto and not Montreal. Then I tried to buy a checked bag and they charged me extra because of my connection flight Montreal-Toronto - what a joke!
RouteMontreal to Reykjavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"wife and I had completely different seats"

Trip Verified | Extra late takeoff. Rude staff. Seats were reserved in January. We got emails this morning confirming our seats with checkin. When we arrived and got our boarding passes, my wife and I had completely different seats in 2 different rows no longer next to each other. When trying to get it corrected, which took about 25 minutes and 3 people before anyone would even help, we were told that our seats were now taken by other people, and they can't do anything to help. There was only one seat remaining in row 30 when we reserved row 12. Cannot reccomend.
RouteReykjavík to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2019

"losing all 3 pieces of our luggage"

Not Verified | Prague to Keflavik. Arrived for a 5 day stay over and had every minute planned to visit this beautiful country. That is out the window now due to them losing all 3 pieces of our luggage. We have to cancel our plans for tonight and all day tomorrow to come back for our luggage (if it makes it) and drive through the night to hopefully get to our next destination. Unfortunate as we do not have any of the equipment we carefully packed to enjoy our stay. Thank you Icelandair for making this memorable.
RoutePrague to Keflavik
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"Worse than a low budget airline"

Trip Verified | Reykjavík to Orlando. Worse than a low budget airline. After paying extra for everything on an international transatlantic flight, not only luggage as we’ve come to expect, but even for food, our tickets were actually more expensive than had we flown with another airline. Even that did not trigger a bad review. It was the fact my wife and me were separated on the flight back. We received two middle seats seventeen rows apart. We’ve flown over fifty flights together, with luxury airlines and budget airlines apart, and we’ve never been seated apart. Moreover, we’ve never had an international plane as uncomfortable as the one on the way here.
RouteReykjavík to Orlando

"Book with caution"

Not Verified | Chicago to Reykjavik. Icelandair Experience If you are considering booking travel with IcelandAir, I would exercise caution. In April of 2019, we purchased tickets from IcelandAir. Unfortunately, in mid-May, I had a stroke. With our trip due in July, my doctors indicated I should not travel. I was told my recovery was 9 to 12 months. We called IcelandAir and asked about a refund. We were told no refund was allowed but could change our tickets. The tickets must be used by the date in April we purchased. We asked to speak with a manager and were told no. We emailed to inquire about an option to have 60 additional days to rebook our flight. Customer service agent said the system would not allow this to happen. I asked if they could make a personal decision to override the system to allow us to have an additional 60 days as my recovery would take longer and my children would not return from school until after the date in April we purchased the tickets. We again were told no. I did some internet research and found the department manager and director of customer service. I emailed the manager and still have not received a response. About two weeks later, I emailed the director and still have not received a response. With the departure date rapidly approaching, I decided to dispute the purchase with my credit card company to try to force management to respond to my request. IcelandAir responded to my credit card company with the booking rules and I lost my dispute. If you have a problem once you have booked a ticket with IcelandAir, I would imagine you too will not have access to speak with someone in a decision making position. Book with caution.
RouteChicago to Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"a low budget airline"

Trip Verified | London to Vancouver via Reykjavik. Icelandair is a low budget airline, albeit we fly economy the level of infrastructure, communication, amenities, etc are missing. This creates confusion, a lot of guessing/assumptions, frustration, anger, etc. the main complaint are the seats - old and tired padding/cushioning. KEF was our transfer stop via Heathrow. And our Heathrow leg was delay due to mechanical problems. There is very little to do in the airport and prices are expensive, many of the shops and cafes shut down midday. Free wifi is available in the airport but streaming anything is a problem. On time performance average to poor, on board service average.
RouteLondon to Vancouver via Reykjavik

"were thoroughly impressed"

Trip Verified | We recently flew with Icelandair from New York to Dublin via Reykjavik and were thoroughly impressed with the service from check-in, lounge, boarding, flight attendants and pilots. We had a couple of issues initially, one out of their control (weather) and the other a mechanical delay. Once we were airborne the flight attendants were some of the best we've experienced. They are very attentive and engaging and make sure their customers are getting the best service they can provide. The initial delays caused us to miss our connection and Iceland Air's staff did their best to take care of us and others on our flight. The Captains provided relevant weather info concerning potential turbulence. They reassured their customers, especially those who don't deal well with it, that it's normal and everyone is in good hands. We saw a few white knucklers relax after the announcements. My wife and I look forward to returning to Iceland for a few weeks as it is such a beautiful place to visit and takes time to see it all. Thank you Iceland Air for treating us so well. We look forward to our next trip with you.
RouteNew York to Dublin via Reykjavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"never be flying with them again"

Not Verified | Vancouver to Reykavik. I pre ordered my meals on my flight and they didnt include it in the flight. The attendant made me feel bad about asking to get a refund since I didn't want the other items. I travel a lot and bring my carry on bag everywhere, but on their flight, because of how tiny their planes are, I had to check it for $55! They were rude about it too. On top of it, the toilets were full! I have never in 35 years of traveling seen this. It was disgusting! Their lack in fixing this was so nasty and made me feel uneasy about traveling with them. Like, what kind of airline doesnt take care of the toilets? The flight from Vancouver was over 7 hours long and there were no outlets for my laptop. How is this even possible? The lack of movie options was also super disappointing. Tons of old movies that I have already seen. Bottom line, I will never be flying with them again.
RouteVancouver to Reykavik
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"ticket doesn’t include baggage"

Trip Verified | New York to Hamburg via Reykjavik. I usually don’t write reviews but I have to do this. I was visiting family in Hamburg with my 13 yrs old son. I bought the ticket on another site (justfly.com). It’s a website I use all the time to buy my tickets. On the day of departure while checking in, I was told I have to pay for our luggage since the ticket I bought doesn’t include baggage ($90.00 per luggage). When I told the Rep or Agent that I had now idea because there was nothing on the website that indicated that I had to pay for the luggage, she asked where I purchased the tickets and I showed her. She then told me it’s a third party website that’s why. The tickets were not cheap either ($534.93 per person). After the vacation was over in Hamburg and coming back home, I had to pay another fee for our luggage’s again (88.00 euro) for each luggage. Thank God I fed my son at the airport before boarding because they were selling the food. But coming back we did get our own snacks so that was okay. In all I was really disappointed with the airline not being specific with the type of ticket being purchased. I thought “economy class is economy class” but thanks to Icelandair I now know there are stages. Anyway I’m writing this so other customers don’t make the mistakes I did.
RouteNew York to Hamburg via Reykjavik