Icelandair

"in-flight service was awful"

Trip Verified | Boston to Reykjavik. This airline is unprofessional, disorganized, and delivers poor service. Our flight was canceled for bad weather, and when they rebooked us we were given much worse seats and never given the option to select a new flight or new seats - we were just thrown in at their whim. The in-flight service was awful. The flight attendants are unresponsive and do not seem to care about assisting passengers. They do not respond to customer complaints in a reasonable time frame and they do not compensate you if you’re downgraded or their flight is terrible.
RouteBoston to Reykjavik
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"thank you to the staff"

Not Verified | Glasgow to Keflavík. This is one of the best airlines I have travelled. The seats were comfy and everyone had their own TV to choose what they would like to watch. They also provided complimentary soft drinks, pillows and blankets. The staff were lovely and very approachable, huge thank you to the staff on the flights there and back.
RouteGlasgow to Keflavík
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"worst airline I have flown"

Not Verified | Boston to Keflavik. This has to be by far the worst airline I have flown. The staff are unprofessional and very snobby to me.bI was sitting in the row and a lady was trying to find somewhere to put her luggage and the staff yelled at her to hurry up. Coming from the Keflavík airport the staff are also unprofessional plane ran late. Fast forward, getting to the Boston Logan airport, I was late to baggage claim due to leaving something behind on the plane. Icelandair would not give me my luggage. There was no one at the Logan airport from Icelandair after calling customer service and staying in the airport for 3 hours they finally gave me my luggage I will never ever ever fly with this airline again.
RouteBoston to Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"pleased with the flights"

Not Verified | Vancouver to London via Keflavik. The flight was at the gate ahead of schedule and had mostly boarded when I got on 35 mins before take off. The seat was good and there was a touch screen and power. Wifi was for a fee. I didn't use it. The staff were lovely. Service was frequent and they were happy to fill your empty water bottle and you could go to the back for coffee. They have a range of local gins to try and the tonic is free. The flight arrived early. On the way home we got out ahead of a storm. The pilot explained the reason for delay. The layover was then just a change in planes. Same level of service. The flight got in an hour ahead of the time on the booking. I was pleased with the flights. The only thing I would say is that they do not encourage passengers to raise their seat back at meal service - I just also reclined mine. If you are a recliner this is a plus, if you are not it's a minus.
RouteVancouver to London via Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"product is well behind the times"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Keflavík in Saga Class, which is Icelandair's business class. Due to weather in Iceland, out flight was delayed 24 hours. Icelandair rebooked us automatically for the following day. The inflight experience was pleasant. Icelandair's hard product is well behind the times but for a 3 hours flight it wasn't an issue. Service was warm and efficient. Icelandair's problem has been its lack of attention to Saga Class customers who pay a premium expecting a superior overall experience. We were bused to the aircraft in cold weather with the rest of the passengers both while boarding in CPH and upon arrival in KEF. No special consideration whatsoever outside the aircraft for Business Class passengers.
RouteCopenhagen to Keflavík
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"very poor at managing delays"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Never ever fly with Iceland (Keflavik) as transit airport! The weather is unpredictable and there are few if any alternative flight if you miss your connection. We had to stay over night in Iceland on the way to the US and was delayed 9 hours (rerouted with a non-direct flight since Icelandair did not hold their only direct flight this day to Stockholm for like 15 minutes). Icelandair also is very poor at managing delays. Passengers receive poor or no information on the plane and must instead queue at a service desk with all other delayed passengers. On the way to the US Icelandair provided a hotel but I did not get there until 3 am and could just sleep a few hours. Icelandair also charges far to much for extra leg room seats compared to other airlines, do not provide free WiFi on board and do not provide vouchers of sufficient value for meals when delays occur. I will probably never fly with this company again if it can be avoided.
RouteStockholm to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"have never been so annoyed at an airline"

Not Verified | I have never been so annoyed at an airline. When I got into Reykjavík from Denver we had to wait on the plane for 45 mins before being allowed to deplane. I had a connection to Manchester a couple of hours later. I boarded the plane the normal time and then proceeded to sit on the plane for 3 and a half hours without taking off. Apart from all the problems with delays, they serve absolutely nothing for free. You will pay for drinks, meals, snacks. I will never fly with Icelandair again.
RouteReykjavík to Manchester
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never fly with this company again"

Trip Verified | Oslo to Washington via Keflavik. Worst airline in the history of airline travel. The customer service is very disappointing. If you want any type of refreshments you need to buy it. You are lucky if you can get water for free. I bought my seat because I did not want to sit in the rear but on my way back home, my seat was changed without even asking me. I was given the seat by the bathroom and had to put up with the door constantly opening and closing in my face and smell the bathroom aroma. When I emailed Icelandair, they claimed that the aircraft was changed and the reassigned the seat with more legroom. How did they know that I chose my seat based on legroom? As a mater of fact I did not. I chose it because it was close enough to the front of the plane. I would never fly with this company again and based on my experience, I would advise everyone to consider someone else
RouteOslo to Washington via Keflavik
Date FlownDecember 2019

"bad customer service"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket through the Icelandair website from Vancouver to Zurich with a stop over in Iceland on the way home. I had to buy this as two individual tickets. This is not what I wanted as I wanted it to be one ticket. However, the Icelandair website did not allow me to book it as one trip. I thought that might be a system error so I called to see if an Icelandair representative could fix this for me as. However the representative instructed me that they can't do it either and that I should buy two individual tickets to make this trip happen. We bought the economic standard ticket that allows changes for a fee. Once we realized that we can't fly on the dates planned we called to change the tickets, which is when we were informed that we have to pay the change fee of 300$ CAD twice since it's two reservations, eventhough it was one trip. Obviously that made no sense as paying $600 plus fare difference was not worthwhile compared to the original ticket. Interestingly enough, the price that I was told to change the ticket through the representative was $800, compared to $500, when I did it myself online. The difference couldn't be explained to me. While trying to change the dates, I said that I would like to upgrade to the more expensive ticket category that would allow for changes without a fee, I was told that I could upgrade and pay more but that the policy of the old ticket class would carry over. Hence not really helpful either. Eventually I decided to cancel the ticket. I was told that I would get parts of the taxes reimbursed. Once I asked how much that would be, they said that they can't tell me. In the end I asked if there is a complaints department or a escalations department. Guess what, the answer was no. Unfortunately, bad customer service. I can't comment on the actual airline as we didn't end up flying with them, and never will after this experience.
RouteVancouver to Zurich via Keflavik
Date FlownDecember 2019

"worst experience on a flight"

Not Verified | The worst experience on a flight ever! I never have problems with any kind of budget airline, but Icelandair is just ridiculous and should take a very close look to their customer service in my opinion. On my flight from Amsterdam to New York, with a stop in Reykjavik, I only had hand luggage with me. In Amsterdam they said the luggage was correct for a carry on and so I went on the flight. On the flight itself my screen didn’t work, but they didn’t allow me to change seats even though there were free seats in the economy class I was in. I let it go, but was not able to watch a movie or anything, even though there would have been an easy solution for this. After the first flight, the worst part happened: in Reykjavik they told me shortly before we would take off, that my carry on was too big and that I had to pay 100 euros to be able to take it with me. When I said I thought this was very strange because they checked it in Amsterdam already, they treated my like I was stupid and even cursed at me. I went on the flight in a shock and even the crew on board was in shock with me and told me to complain. So I did. Still have not been given a decent answer in months. I have called with the customer service over 20 times, they told me that they could see in the system that I would get a refund, but could not tell me more information about this; if I wanted more information, I should email the complaint department. I have emailed the complaint department and have yet not received any answers on my question from them. The only thing they sent (after two months) was a very standard email with not any answer on the specific questions I asked. I will never in my life fly with this airline again and will highly recommend others to not do this either. It is one big disappointment and I feel very disrespected as a human and a paying customer. Besides: WiFi does not work, no food or drink on the plane, you need to buy your headphones etc.
RouteAmsterdam to New York via Reykjavik