Icelandair

"why doesn’t common sense prevail?"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Orlando via Keflavik. All flights cancelled. Not allowed to visit USA ESTA cancelled by homeland security. Been told I can be put on the next available flight or a credit note. I was visiting the USA fo 4 weeks as a once in a life time trip for my wife and I for our retirement. 45 years working that has now gone to pot and we just want a refund - what is so difficult about that? Stop hiding behind keyboards and do the decent thing return ours and many others hard earned cash. Theirs a pandemic going on in the world - why doesn’t common sense prevail?
RouteManchester to Orlando via Keflavik
Date FlownMarch 2020

"poor service and no integrity"

Not Verified | My flight to Europe was scheduled for March 13th. Due to the upcoming coronavirus ban, I wished to cancel. After endlessly calling, I got through one day in advance of the flight and was told I had to choose a date before the flight for Sept 1 or earlier and pay the difference. There were no flights without additional expense, so I sent a message, per their post about upcoming flights, to ask for a credit to allow a little time to plan. I received the response on March 15th saying I could reschedule my flight through Dec 31st. When I called to schedule, they rejected me and said my ticket was already suspended even though I received the message March 15th and sent mine before the flight. I had also sent a letter to their president Bogi, and he said under no circumstances were they making exceptions to ticket rules. I have lost $1500 because they wouldn't provide a credit voucher to allow me to plan another flight. Every other airline allowed that. I have spent about six hours on hold and in conversation to no avail. While I was speaking with one Icelandair clerk and asked for the spelling of her name, she said it wasn't her problem if I didn't know phonetics. Icelandair has poor service and no integrity.
RouteWashington to Paris via Keflavik
Date FlownMarch 2020

"inadequate services for the elderly"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Keflavik. Icelandair Coming out of a small airport with inadequate services for the elderly (key escalator was not working), apparently to punish folks with carryon luggage by forcing them to walk briskly down an unsafe stairwell, with said luggage to the designated gate. Relatively small long narrow walkways with times posted as high as 30 minutes to walk to a particular gate. No electric walkways for. If you’re elderly, you’re screwed! Then you get to the gate and talk to the Icelandair “gatekeeper” who is busy typing in stuff on the computer. You tell her that, “I’m going to need extra time walking into the plane because of my back. Can I board early? “Yes, you’ll be called early.” I was never called and the line started to move. I went to the head of the line, much to this dismay of the lined up super customers, and asked a new attendant about boarding early. The attendant looked shocked and seemed not know what I was talking about. I asked again and finally the question began about buying stuff or carrying something for someone started. I got on another line and there was no such thing as “early boarding for the handicapped.” And when they say, before landing, “return your seat in their upright position, you can ignore it. On two Icelandair flights I observed that they failed to correct many passenger “upright seat indiscretions.” Then there’s the free snacks, which don’t exist. You’re lucky if the coffee is fresh. With only profit in mind, IcelandAir failed in quality and took away your space so they can cram as many in less square footage as possible.
RouteNew York JFK to Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"in-flight service was awful"

Trip Verified | Boston to Reykjavik. This airline is unprofessional, disorganized, and delivers poor service. Our flight was canceled for bad weather, and when they rebooked us we were given much worse seats and never given the option to select a new flight or new seats - we were just thrown in at their whim. The in-flight service was awful. The flight attendants are unresponsive and do not seem to care about assisting passengers. They do not respond to customer complaints in a reasonable time frame and they do not compensate you if you’re downgraded or their flight is terrible.
RouteBoston to Reykjavik
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"thank you to the staff"

Not Verified | Glasgow to Keflavík. This is one of the best airlines I have travelled. The seats were comfy and everyone had their own TV to choose what they would like to watch. They also provided complimentary soft drinks, pillows and blankets. The staff were lovely and very approachable, huge thank you to the staff on the flights there and back.
RouteGlasgow to Keflavík
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"worst airline I have flown"

Not Verified | Boston to Keflavik. This has to be by far the worst airline I have flown. The staff are unprofessional and very snobby to me.bI was sitting in the row and a lady was trying to find somewhere to put her luggage and the staff yelled at her to hurry up. Coming from the Keflavík airport the staff are also unprofessional plane ran late. Fast forward, getting to the Boston Logan airport, I was late to baggage claim due to leaving something behind on the plane. Icelandair would not give me my luggage. There was no one at the Logan airport from Icelandair after calling customer service and staying in the airport for 3 hours they finally gave me my luggage I will never ever ever fly with this airline again.
RouteBoston to Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"pleased with the flights"

Not Verified | Vancouver to London via Keflavik. The flight was at the gate ahead of schedule and had mostly boarded when I got on 35 mins before take off. The seat was good and there was a touch screen and power. Wifi was for a fee. I didn't use it. The staff were lovely. Service was frequent and they were happy to fill your empty water bottle and you could go to the back for coffee. They have a range of local gins to try and the tonic is free. The flight arrived early. On the way home we got out ahead of a storm. The pilot explained the reason for delay. The layover was then just a change in planes. Same level of service. The flight got in an hour ahead of the time on the booking. I was pleased with the flights. The only thing I would say is that they do not encourage passengers to raise their seat back at meal service - I just also reclined mine. If you are a recliner this is a plus, if you are not it's a minus.
RouteVancouver to London via Keflavik
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"product is well behind the times"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Keflavík in Saga Class, which is Icelandair's business class. Due to weather in Iceland, out flight was delayed 24 hours. Icelandair rebooked us automatically for the following day. The inflight experience was pleasant. Icelandair's hard product is well behind the times but for a 3 hours flight it wasn't an issue. Service was warm and efficient. Icelandair's problem has been its lack of attention to Saga Class customers who pay a premium expecting a superior overall experience. We were bused to the aircraft in cold weather with the rest of the passengers both while boarding in CPH and upon arrival in KEF. No special consideration whatsoever outside the aircraft for Business Class passengers.
RouteCopenhagen to Keflavík
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"very poor at managing delays"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Never ever fly with Iceland (Keflavik) as transit airport! The weather is unpredictable and there are few if any alternative flight if you miss your connection. We had to stay over night in Iceland on the way to the US and was delayed 9 hours (rerouted with a non-direct flight since Icelandair did not hold their only direct flight this day to Stockholm for like 15 minutes). Icelandair also is very poor at managing delays. Passengers receive poor or no information on the plane and must instead queue at a service desk with all other delayed passengers. On the way to the US Icelandair provided a hotel but I did not get there until 3 am and could just sleep a few hours. Icelandair also charges far to much for extra leg room seats compared to other airlines, do not provide free WiFi on board and do not provide vouchers of sufficient value for meals when delays occur. I will probably never fly with this company again if it can be avoided.
RouteStockholm to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"have never been so annoyed at an airline"

Not Verified | I have never been so annoyed at an airline. When I got into Reykjavík from Denver we had to wait on the plane for 45 mins before being allowed to deplane. I had a connection to Manchester a couple of hours later. I boarded the plane the normal time and then proceeded to sit on the plane for 3 and a half hours without taking off. Apart from all the problems with delays, they serve absolutely nothing for free. You will pay for drinks, meals, snacks. I will never fly with Icelandair again.
RouteReykjavík to Manchester