Icelandair

"express our sincere gratitude"

Trip Verified |   My wife and I recently faced unexpected challenges during our journey from the US to Munich, Germany with Icelandair. Heavy snowfall shut down the Munich airport for an extended period of time, which turned our original 50-minute layover in Reykjavik into an unexpected 2-day stay. Icelandair's response was exceptional. They quickly arranged comfortable hotel accommodations nearby and provided meal vouchers, easing the inconvenience. The team's communication and proactive assistance during the flight delays were commendable. I want to express our sincere gratitude to Icelandair for their handling of a very challenging situation. They provided outstanding customer service. Thank you, Icelandair!
RouteBaltimore to Keflavík
Date FlownDecember 2023

"lesson is anything but Icelandair"

Trip Verified | I wish I'd read other reviews on this site before purchasing tickets. I bought 5 tickets with upgraded seats in February 2023 for a flight in December 2023. A week before the flight, I received an email encouraging me to upgrade our seats; when I looked, I saw we had been downgraded and redistributed in separate seats throughout the plane. I was confused because it appeared I had the option to repurchase the upgraded seats I'd already paid for. I was frustrated because two members of our party are elderly and in wheelchairs, and one is a toddler, which is why I paid extra to preselect roomier seats together in the first place. When I called customer service, the agent apologized and placed us back together, so I assumed the issue was resolved. A day later I looked again and saw that the toddler had once again been separated to the back of the plane. I called customer service again. Rather than move the toddler to sit with us, the second agent again redistributed the five of us around the plane. I called again. The third agent offered to let me pay again to upgrade our seats, while informing me that the airline could not guarantee that children sit with their parents or that our upgraded seats would not again be downgraded and we would be split up. So, IcelandAir's apparent policy is: we can't guarantee families will sit together, so you should upgrade, but even if you upgrade we'll still split you up and ask you to upgrade again, with no credit for the prior purchase. What a joke. Never again. I've learned my lesson, and the lesson is anything but IcelandAir.
RouteDenver to London via Reykjavik
Date FlownDecember 2023

“Company is terrible”

Not Verified | Company is terrible. Lost our luggage coming home and there was no response from the company. Avoid them at all cost - the customer service is no good as they are not a major carrier in the US. I called Icelandair headquarters for 8 months trying to find out bags and they were never returned to us with no explanation.
RouteDenver to Iceland
Date FlownJune 2023

“will force you to pay”

Trip Verified | We got charged $75 per standard USA size carry-on and 10kg (as they required) luggage. Stay away if you from any civilized county with standard luggage sizes, Icelandair will force you to pay.
RouteOslo to Seattle via Reykjavik
Date FlownNovember 2023

"unacceptable customer relations"

Trip Verified | I booked round trip flight for 3 night vacation at Blue Lagoon, Iceland scheduled for December 9-13. My hotel is located in the southwest peninsula of Iceland which the Iceland government has closed because of earthquake and volcanic activity. The entire region is completely inaccessible to the general public, roads are destroyed, residents have been evacuated, and my hotel is closed indefinitely. I asked Iceland air to either refund my ticket or allow me to reschedule to a later date. They flat out refused claiming that I bought a nonrefundable ticket and that my flight has not been cancelled by them. Seems to me that such an intransigent position is unreasonable in light of a natural disaster that is beyond anyone’s control or ability to predict. I’ve made several calls to the airline and sent emails to company executives to no avail. Completely unacceptable customer relations!
RouteNewark to Reykjavík
Date FlownDecember 2022

"worst experience on an international flight"

Trip Verified | My worst experience on an international flight ever! I went to Europe on another airline but returned on Icelandair. On my flight to Europe this airline provided 2 full meals and earphones at no extra cost. My flights home were on Icelandair. It was double the cost and provided none of the above. The first plane to Iceland was older and smelled badly. When transferring to the second plane in Iceland, de-planing and re-planing was done outside in the cold and required going up and downstairs carrying my own luggage. In the airport, all passengers had to stand in line (no seating) behind a locked door waiting for group of passengers to board another flight. And prior to boarding the flight, staff did manual a inspection of passports which delayed the flight from leaving. Once on the flight, I had to remove dead bugs from the window and their was no WIFI. On this 8 hour flight, only coffee, tea, water etc. was offered and this was infrequent.
RouteRome to Vancouver via Reykjavik
Date FlownNovember 2023

"I do not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Terrible airline and airport services in Reykjavik. It is total chaos in the airport, no organization and no Icelandair staff to help. After a chaotic check in and boarding, we had to wait for more than 2 hours on the ground waiting for more than 50 passengers to board. Cabin crew left with no information. I do not recommend this airline.
AircraftBoeing 737 Max
RouteReykjavik to Paris
Date FlownOctober 2023

"did not show up for the flight"

Trip Verified | I purchased a ticket from Denver to London via Reykjavik. From London I flew to Greece with a different airline. On my return ticket I saw it is possible to have a layover if a couple of days in Reykjavik to see Iceland and I added a 2 night layover. My flight was on 24 sept from London to Reykjavik and then return on 26 September to Denver. I decided to fly from Greece straight into Reykjavik on 24 Sept and I was going to continue my flight back to Denver on the 26th. To my surprise at the airport they told me because I didn’t come on my flight from London, they cancelled my ticket from Reykjavik to Denver. I was forced to spend 550$ and buy another ticket to return to Denver. I have never had such experience in my entire life. They have closed my original ticket, because I did not show up for the flight. I will never fly with this airline again! On the flight to Reykjavik from Denver on 17 September, they also did not bring the meal I ordered and I have celiac disease so I couldn’t get anything on the plane because it had gluten. The flight attendant just told me that I’ll get reimbursed for it or maybe it’s for my other flight. This company is worse than any of the low cost airlines from Europe or USA. I do not recommend and will never fly with them again.
RouteDenver to London via Reykjavik

"Not recommended at all"

Not Verified | Tiny seats, no food included in the price (1300$) for more than 10h flights, you can enjoy movies but only if you bring your own ear sets, otherwise are 4 extra dollars to buy one, and no free drinks served for such long flights. Not recommended at all!
AircraftBoeing 737 max
RouteOrlando to Berlin via Keflavik

"abysmal customer service"

Trip Verified | Originally purchased seat upgrades from SAV to KEF, our flight was cancelled due to unknown reasons and rebooked without seat upgrades. When we requested a refund for the seat upgrades they gave us the $160, but cancelled the return leg of our flight saying that we requested a refund. The customer service rep Pam was extremely rude, and would not listen to what I was telling her about our refund request and how in the note it said “refund for seat upgrades only”. She just repeatedly told me that since we requested it l, it was cancelled and a refund for the flight was issued. $160 for our $2000 flight. Despite telling her several times that refund request was just for the seat upgrades that the airline could no longer provide. She was extremely rude, refused to escalate the issue, and provided no help at all. Aside from the abysmal customer service, at 6ft tall my knees were crammed in the back of the seat in front of me. The flight crew were inattentive and ride when asked for anything. Drink carts were brought out at the start of the flight and at the end of the 6 hour flight only. The whole experience was awful. Iceland is a beautiful country but if this is your only way to get to Iceland I’d recommend going somewhere else.
RouteKeflavik to Savannah via New York JFK