Icelandair

"be careful using IcelandAir "

Not Verified | On our way home from England, they had booked us a connecting flight through Montreal. They must not have considered the fact that we had to clear customs in Montreal, as we ran to Porter to catch our flight to Halifax and they said we did not have time to make it. There was no agent at the airport for Icelandair, which seems ridiculous as they just had a flight arrive. From there we proceeded to call Icelandair to let them know we needed to rebook as they booked our flights too close together. They did. We then proceeded to ask them if we would be able to book a hotel room as we couldn’t get a flight until the next morning. Between the 4 of us, there were 3 reservations and they told us we would qualify for 3 rooms, 1 for each reservation. We only booked 2, one for mom and dad and one for me . They said we had to pay for the room up front, then put the claim through their website afterwards to be reimbursed for them. Now they will not pay. They initially argued that the flight to Halifax was 3 hours late leaving and we had time to catch it. But they were looking at the arrival time, not the departure time. They agreed that was a mistake, but that we still had time to catch the flight. They have said we need to take it up with Porter that they didn’t let us on the flight. Why did their representative tell us we qualified for 3 rooms and now not pay for it? Had they said so at the time, we would have camped out in the airport, or at the very least, shared a room between the 4 of us. My mother has had numerous correspondence with IcelandAir. She said she is not going to let this go and their response was the following: “further request for a different resolution of this case will unfortunately at this time result in the closure of this case without further reply”. It’s bad enough they will not pay, but to have led us to believe they would, causing us to incur the costs. This is the most recent issue we have had, and one in many issues we had travelling with IcelandAir last August. My family and I feel bullied, and left to feel like there is nothing we can do and have to just suck it up. Well, maybe we’re are not going to get the money back from them, and that’s fine, but I don’t want to go away quietly and want to speak up. Please be careful using IcelandAir for your travelling needs. Their customer service and ethics are “less than desired” and you may incur some additional expenses.
RouteMontreal to London via Keflavik
Date FlownAugust 2019

"absolutely recommend"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Keflavik. I have flown with Icelandair once a year for almost 20 years and never had a bad experience. I have only experienced three major delays, one was because of a storm. The staff is friendly and accommodating. I don’t eat the food anymore as it’s expensive and not that great but my flight is short enough to manage. I absolutely recommend Icelandair!
RouteStockholm to Keflavik

"Icelandair Cost Me!"

Trip Verified | Icelandair Cost Me! Very poor customer service! I flew Icelandair in September because I wanted to try the new airline. I was heading to Edinburgh, but they only flew to London so I booked a separate flight on British Airways from London to Edinburgh. I left plenty of time between flights, to ensure I could make the transfer. However, when I got to Reyjavik for the layover, I was told my next flight was delayed 2 hours! I was pretty sure since I had to change terminals at Heathrow I would miss my flight (in the end the plane left Reyjavik 3 hours late!) I went to the customer service desk and advised of my dilemma and asked what they would do for me. They said nothing, it was my problem! How does their delay end up being my fault?! I was on the telephone trying to change flights with British Airways, and they were great! But, I had to pay an extra $425 for the last minute changes on an expensive flight! British Airways said that Icelandair should be covering the costs, but they refused to. I filed a claim with Icelandair, but 2 months later I still have no resolution and they have denied my claim, so I am out that extra cash. Please share this with all of your friends, I don't want anyone else to have to go through this!
RouteVancouver to Heathrow via Reykjavík
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I would never use them again"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to Washington via Keflavik. We arrived without our luggage which the airline left in Iceland. It took them over 3 days to finally reunited us with all of our luggage We had to buy clothes. They have never paid us a penny compensation. They offered to pay us half the cost of one of our party, but have never paid us. They never gave us a baggage missing receipt so cannot claim from insurers. They do not communicate. Worst Airline I've ever used. I would never use them again.
RouteGlasgow to Washington via Keflavik
Date FlownJune 2019

"can't see how Icelandair is a good choice"

Trip Verified | Awful experience with weather cancellation handling and uncaring customer service, I'll avoid Icelandair in the future. I had to continue from one business trip to another and booked Icelandair because it was the quickest way from Orlando to Glasgow, premium economy seat upgrades were surprisingly competitive in their pricing, too. Now I know why. A storm in Iceland caused some delays that cascaded into my flight out of the US getting cancelled. That happens, I understand. But then, Icelandair (without consulting me or my corporate travel broker) booked me on a pair of replacement flights on different airlines leaving 'more than a day later'. Here I am checked out of my hotel being told "tough luck, you can leave in 36 hours or so." The travel agents called to try to get anything that wouldn't require an extra night, but (a) Icelandair was unwilling to book on anything but a narrow set of partner airlines that had no availability and (b) they were also unwilling to comp an extra night's accommodations if more than an extra day was needed. I've had comparable cancellations on other airlines before and they universally did their best to make sure the passengers were properly cared for leading up to a replacement flight. With no other options outside of eating two extra hotel nights myself (one at my origin and one unused at my destination), I ended up needing to cancel the entire Icelandair itinerary and did a last minute rebook—at a way higher price and with dreaded middle seats in front of lavatories—on another carrier. This is all bad, but then I wrote to their social media support to share my experience and politely request some attention to the case, even if it was just extra legroom on the return flight itinerary that was already booked. The response, although not unprofessional, was essentially "we're not obligated to give you anything, we're not giving you anything, but oh, hey, here's a WiFi voucher." Yes, after many hundreds of dollars and several lost hours, a WiFi voucher. Gee, thanks. Like it is with a 1¢ tip, nothing at all would have been less insulting. With all the airline options and now seeing all the similar experiences, I can't see how Icelandair is a good choice. Stuff goes wrong with the chaos of global air travel, and what separates good airlines from mediocre ones is how they take care of their customers getting through the complications. Icelandair seems it couldn't care less.
RouteOrlando to Glasgow via Reykjavík
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Don't waste your time"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Munich. To start our trip, we arrived in Munich to find my bag had never left Minneapolis. I filed the necessary paperwork and told them where I was going to be and when I was going to be there. They said shipping my bag would take 1-3 days. They managed to always be slow so my bag would arrive after I had already left the city I was in. To top it off, they would only reimburse me for $100 so I was travelling abroad in the same two pair of cloths for 10 days with no toiletries. Finally, my bag got returned to me two weeks after they had lost it. Don't waste your time, spend a little extra and fly with someone else.
RouteMinneapolis to Munich
Date FlownOctober 2019

"experience less than pleasant"

Trip Verified | We flew with Icelandair because it was the best fare and it allowed a stopover in Iceland. Originally our outbound flight from Toronto was also with Icelandair but the three of us in our party got bumped to a BA flight to LHR instead. Not a huge issue except that a fourth member of our party, flying under a different booking, ended up at LGW where we had originally intended to fly. Both the GLA to KEF, and KEF to YYZ flights were uneventful. The staff both on the ground and onboard both flights were friendly and professional. I was impressed at the leg room on both flights (33A from GLA to KEF, and 35A from KEF to YYZ). Unfortunately our KEF to YYZ flight was delayed by 20 minutes which ended up causing us to miss our connection with WestJet to YUL. Although Icelandair put us up in a hotel in Toronto for the night, the experience was less than positive. Up to that point things were good. We waited at Pearson for almost an hour with Icelandair trying to find a hotel room for 26 of us (4 in my group plus a group of 22 Germans who were headed to Montreal for a New England cruise) who missed our connecting flight. When they'd finally sorted something out, we were given vouchers for the night plus $20 for dinner and $10 for breakfast. I had asked if dinner would even be available at that hour since it was nearly 11:00pm and were told that yes, the hotel knew we were coming and that food would be available. We were all loaded into private cars and driven 30 minutes to Brampton. As soon as I saw that it was a Comfort Inn, I knew there was no food. The receptionist at the desk had no idea who we were or why we were there. He was incredibly apologetic as he tried to sort out what was going on. He told us that he'd been called and told that the airline "might need 20 rooms or it might be 50" but never called back to confirm any details. So here were 26 people in the lobby of the hotel waiting for things to get sorted out. He opened up the breakfast room for us at least. One of the ladies with the other group started eating bananas, while two others took bowls of dry cereal, as it was the only food available other than the vending machine in the lobby. Finally, at nearly midnight, we fell into bed exhausted. On top of that we had to be back at the airport by 5am to catch our flight to Montreal. On top of this, all of our bags ended up getting put on the flight to Montreal that night, as we likely would have caught the flight itself had we not been delayed at the baggage carousel and then again at security. Icelandair argued with us that our bags were in Toronto even though we all insisted that they were not there! It wasn't until a supervisor with the airline made a call and confirmed that indeed, we were correct, and our bags had been sent through to YUL. I wish I could rate the airline better. The in-flight crew were amazing. KEF is a bit chaotic (well, really chaotic) but the agents we had to deal with in Toronto just put the icing on the cake for me. They made the experience less than pleasant and seemed to pass the buck, putting blame on WestJet for the bag issue while ignoring the fact that it was Icelandair's 20 minute delay that put us all in the situation in the first place.
RouteGlasgow to Toronto via Reykjavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"does not care much about customers"

Not Verified | Denver to Munich via Keflavik. Worry when flying this airline. Before our trip, Icelandair changed the date one of our return legs, but not the other if I had not been carefully monitoring we would have been stuck in Iceland. On Oct 9, we departing Denver, their reservation system failed for an hour in the flight from Denver to Munich, which delayed the flight, and the crew refused to assure us we would make our connection. Then today, Oct 29, on returning from Munich to Denver the desk crew showed up late and were nonchalant about getting started in taking bags. We will probably make it, but it seems this airline does not care much about their customers concerns.
RouteDenver to Munich via Keflavik
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Appalling to say the least"

Not Verified | Orlando to Manchester via Keflavik. They don't offer complimentary food service on an international flight of over 10 hours total, this was a first for me. Basically bring your own food & snacks from home if you don't want to pay exorbitant prices on food & snacks by Icelandair. Appalling to say the least.
RouteOrlando to Manchester via Keflavik

"Absolutely appalling"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Keflavik to London Heathrow. I fly weekly, generally on Emirates or Cathay Pacific. I can tell you that my first experience with Icelandair is the worst of any airline I have experienced. My partner and I were flying from Reykjavik to London and both had connecting flights to make out of London. Icelandair delayed our flight by 3 hours, forcing us to miss our connections. Rebooking our connections cost us almost £1800, and created an unbelievable amount of stress for us. No compensation whatsoever from Icelandair and what’s even worse, I submitted my claim to them almost 3 weeks ago and they still didn’t get back to me. I can’t make a travel insurance claim until they tell me why the flight was delayed. Absolutely appalling. Do NOT fly Icelandair.
RouteKeflavik to London Heathrow