Icelandair

"Never flying with them again"

Trip Verified | London to Washington via Keflavik. The air-hostesses were passive aggressive - which was comical considering they were hurrying me aggressively onto a flight that was delayed by 2 hours and still sat at the gate for an additional hour after boarding. I don't like long haul flights that try to get out of serving food by forcing stopovers and I despise airlines that give you a single cup of a free beverage without any free snacks. You pay $700 for the ticket and they give you a single cup of sparkling water and an attitude. Never flying with them again. The entertainment options were very limited compared to other airlines - and everything was riddled with ads for random icelandic business and overpriced tourist traps. At least 5 minutes of pure ad space before you can even access the main menu. The seats aren't uncomfortable - but lack space. Another issue was that you can't control the airflow to your seat - meaning you'll need to bring clothing appropriate for whatever temperature you're given.
RouteLondon to Washington via Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"zero respect for it's customers"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Keflavik. What a joke this company is. If you can fly a different airline to Iceland please do and save yourself the headache of dealing with a company which has zero respect for it's customers. I bought and paid for their "extra leg room" seats ($65 each) and when I boarded the plane the seats I selected were their regular seats, which are extraordinarily cramped. I asked the flight attendant about this and she said, Oh this happens a lot since they change planes. In reality, their booking system is completely screwed up as the plane model was the same on my return flight and had the same exact issue. So they have a known problem which they won't fix, red flag one. Second, they will gladly sell you a seat which doesn't exist, red flag two. I'm directed to contact support over the web for my refund, in reality any reputable airline would refund your money with a simple phone call for this type of blatant screw up. This is an obvious and known error on their part which would warrant swift resolution. But no, I open the ticket and here were are 6 weeks later with no material response from them. They are obviously desperate to keep their $130 and hoping that giving me the run-around via email will get me to forget about it- red flag three. At this point I am done with them and will be pursuing a refund through my credit card company. Lesson learned, never deal with these desperate low budget airlines that nickel and dime for any little thing.
RouteSeattle to Keflavik

"avoid this company"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Keflavik return in Saga class. In MAD this company does not have any agreement to use the Fast track, nor a Lounge. Boarding is by bus. The flight and the attention on the plane are normal. KEF-MAD The KEF lounge is fine. The flight, without notification of any kind, is made by a charter company, Privilege Style, of which nonca had heard nothing. On the web, when buying tickets and in subsequent mail, no mention of this change. In MAD, transfer from the plane to the terminal by bus. If you can, avoid this company.
RouteMadrid to Keflavik

"Worst check in ever"

Not Verified | Dublin to Reykjavik. Worst check in ever. Don’t bother checking in online if you have a bag to put on the aircraft. You are at the back of an enormous queue of people who are being fleeced to pay to check in. Absolute joke of a check in process.
RouteDublin to Reykjavik
Date FlownJuly 2019

"onboard service was excellent"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Keflavík to Copenhagen in Saga Class, which is Icelandair's premier cabin. For this early morning flight, we used the excellent Saga Lounge at Keflavík airport to have breakfast. Flight was on time, onboard service was excellent. The one wrinkle was the boarding process in Keflavík. Icelandair needs to up their game here. As a premium class passenger one expects convenience and not having to jostle to get into the aircraft.
Aircraft767
RouteKeflavík to Copenhagen
Date FlownJuly 2019

"the staff were incredible"

Not Verified | Had a great flight with Icelandair. Seats were very comfortable, we were given blankets and a pillow to add to the comfort. For the entertainment system, it included many films and shows I’ve been looking to see for a while, so I spent most of my time watching films. As for the staff, they were incredible! Between one of my family members losing a Mobile in Reykjavik to another family member taking sick midflight, they were amazing in their attempts to do what they could and showed much kindness. The only problem I had was that the WiFi wouldn’t connect, not sure if it was only me or if it was only the flight I was on.
RouteDublin to Orlando via Reykjavik
Date FlownApril 2019

"I was happy flying Icelandair"

Trip Verified | Iceland was part of my Nordic holidays, I flew CPH-KEF and KEF-AMS. Initially I booked the morning flight from CPH to KEF however suddenly a month before the flight I receive an email from Icelandair, they changed my flight to the afternoon flight due to the morning flight being non operational. I had no other choice as it’s part of my itinerary and I can’t change anything which made me lose almost a day of my trip in Iceland. One day before the flight I receive another email from the airline that the flight will be operated by partner airline Euroatlantic with crew from both airlines, the aircraft was a B767 and looked very old. Everything was written in English and Portuguese, even the entertainment system configuration was 2-4-2 which led to very tight seats especially if you have a huge passenger next to you. Flight wasn’t very enjoyable but crew were fantastic, friendly and always smiling, it was the national day of Iceland so they handed over a small chocolate cake with the flag on it. On the return the aircraft was an Icelandair plane B767 which was much nicer and really comfortable, seats configuration 2-3-2 with plenty of leg room, nice entertainment system, they usually serve tea and coffee and if you want a meal there will be an extra charge. Overall it is value for money and enjoyable. However, on the way from KEF-AMS at Keflavík airport their system was down and it was a chaotic check in for about an hour. I was happy flying Icelandair.
RouteCopenhagen to Amsterdam via Reykjavík
Date FlownJune 2019

"not an excuse to lower the standard"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Manchester via Keflavik. The ratings below are for the second leg (Keflavik – Manchester). The first leg was marginally better.I fully appreciate that the grounding of the 737MAX must be giving headaches for all airlines who have them, but it is not an excuse to lower the standard to the level which Icelandair have done. My wife & I paid for flexible Saga Class tickets for the above sectors. The first sector was an aircraft so old (at least 25 years old!) owned by Euro Atlantic with cabin staff of Icelandair. We had booked window seats but were given 2 in the middle the aircraft configuration was 2x2x2). There was no place to hang coats, no inflight entertainment (no audio, no visual), no individual fresh-air blowers (the air was controlled for the whole aircraft). To my knowledge at least 3 of the crew had not used the aircraft before and did not know how to either turn on the reading lights or the seat to recline. With regards to the cabin staff I realised how difficult it must be for them to conduct themselves so professionally when they were working in such conditions. A number of cabin staff with whom I talked said that the aircraft should never have been on the north American run and we, Saga passengers, were being robbed. With the late arrival of the first sector (it left 90 minutes late) we had to run to the gate for the next flight. That sector aircraft was waiting for us (we were the only 2 connecting passengers) and as soon as we got on board two things happened. Firstly, before we could find where we were to sit, the door was closed behind us (nothing like having a captive audience when you want to break the bad news to them!!) – it was an all economy flight operated by GETJET with the cabin staff hardly speaking English (the aircraft & crew were Lithuanian) The first time we were aware of a change of aircraft/company was an email which I picked up when I turned off my flight mode on arrival at MAN. After take-off I was asked if I would I like a drink, so I asked for champagne – I was duly handed a small bottle and a plastic beaker. When I asked for a glass, I was told that one was not available. When I asked for our meal, I was told that there was none – not even a snack (yet the email had said there would be a meal). Consequently, from the time of our meal on the flight until we left the aircraft at MAN we had not eaten – some 6 hours. As soon as the cabin staff had gone down the aisle with the trolley they retreated to the front galley and spent the rest of their time laughing and chatting amongst themselves – not once did they go down the cabin to ascertain if everything was fine – or see if someone wanted something. I noticed one female (there were both male & female cabin staff) spent most of her time playing with her hair. I should mention from my seat I had a good view into the galley even though the curtain was pulled as best it could be. Of course, with the 15 minutes between getting off one aircraft and getting on the second one our bags did not travel with us and were finally delivered to our house some 36 hours after we did. Icelandair had a moral duty to inform passengers weeks ago that newer aircraft and cancelling business class to all economy was on the cards – had I known either we would have cancelled and flown home with another carrier.
RouteToronto to Manchester via Keflavik

"had a great experience"

Trip Verified | We had a great experience on Icelandair! We missed our connecting flight in Iceland to Munich but Icelandair gave us vouchers for food and booked us on the next flight to Munich. The check-in staff were nice, the flight staff very friendly, ground staff in Iceland were kind, and customer service on the phone was great .Thank you Icelandair for taking care of us. We will fly Icelandair again.
RouteBaltimore to Munich via Reykavik
Date FlownNovember 2018

"not use Icelandair again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Berlin via Keflavik. Our luggage was lost to include a baby car seat and stroller. We waited in lines and were kindly told to go away by the airport. We called Icelandair and they told us to call the airport. Bottom line they didnt had themselves accountable for our lost luggage and didnt offer reimbursement. Meanwhile we were stuck on our vacation overseas without a stroller and a car seat. It put a big damper on our trip. I will not use Icelandair again.
RouteChicago to Berlin via Keflavik