Etihad Airways

"consoling messages but absolutely zero/no action"

Trip Verified | I received a sms from Etihad Airlines at 1am 1st July stating our 1st flight (EY463) was delayed so I stayed up and phoned Etihad to be told the sms was an error and received an email within 10 minutes from Etihad confirming the original flight time - but this was wrong as there was actually a delay. I phoned again during the day and waited on hold so long that our transport arrived to take us to the airport for the original timed flight so we then had to wait at the airport for 6 hours (not 3). Etihad staff at the airport told us that all connecting flights would be delayed for all passengers so we would not miss our connecting flights. However we received an updated itinerary stating our connecting flight would depart 9 minutes before we were due to arrive in Abu Dhabi (even I know no one can go backwards in time). We arrived in Abu Dhabi ahead of schedule and ran (we are 60 years old) to the connecting flight's gate showing Last Call (after pushing our way through security) to be told that our baggage had been offloaded which is impossible because our plane had only reached the arrival gate 12 minutes before and there were 400+ passengers with luggage so how could our luggage be singled out and transferred to the connecting flight's aircraft and then offloaded in 12 minutes? We stood in line at the Departure/Arrival Transfer desk for 2 hours (I had to ask Etihad staff to bring water for the 100+ passengers waiting as it was 30+ oC in the building) and we were given a voucher for a 5 star hotel for my 60th Birthday but Etihad had not checked vacancies so after reaching the downstairs Transfer desk, we were told the 5 star hotel had no spare rooms so we waited 1 more hour to be transferred to the Ibis hotel. As our final destination did not require PCR tests, we had not been PCR tested (we had used Rapid Antigen tests at home and were COVID negative) so we had to stay in our hotel room and not use any hotel facilities. We had slept through lunch (after arriving in Abu Dhabi at 2.20am but not reaching the hotel until 7am) and had to eat a salad and fruit instead of a proper meal. I even asked for ice-cream and was told I had to pay. (We spoke to other passengers after their stay in Abu Dhabi who were not restricted from using their Hotel's restaurants and facilities. So why were we restricted to our rooms?). Etihad (on Facebook Messenger) had told me that the hotel Concierge would have to contact Etihad to arrange transfer back to the airport 3 hours before the connecting flight but the hotel Concierge phoned many times and Etihad never answered the phone (the phone was busy or did not connect). After waiting and waiting until there was only 2.5 hours before departure I paid for 7 people to travel in taxis back to the airport. I had been in contact with Etihad Support using Facebook Messenger and received consoling messages but absolutely zero/no action. I was told to wait and there would be action but there was no action at all.
RouteMelbourne to Geneva via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2022

"she was unapologetic, unhelpful and unhappy"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | What started off as a much awaited business- cum -pleasure trip to the UK (Manchester) from Malaysia (KL)for my wife and I and our kids was going well and fine till our return leg from Manchester to Abu Dhabi where my wife had problems lifting her hand carry luggage to the overhead cabin and requested for cabin crew assistance to which one of them agreed to. My wife was on one side of the aisle in business class while I was beside her on the other side separated by a barrier and so couldn't help her. Incidentally, both of us are elderly in our mid 60's and she had just had a Left knee joint replacement surgery done barely 2 months ago. Before the cabin crew came to help, the cabin flight manager came and she ordered me to put the bags up for my wife without asking about our health problems. When I tried to explain, she asked to go around to the other side of the aisle to do it and walked away. I didn't have time to do it as we were about to take off but a cabin crew came and helped without any fuss. Immediately after the plane took off and started cruising, this unpleasant lady cabin manager came, introduced herself and sternly told me care of our hand luggage is our sole personal responsibility and not the duty of any of her crew to help! Despite my explaining, she was unapologetic, unhelpful and unhappy. She certainly spoiled my day and made me lose any respect for the airline. Her rudeness, unprofessional behaviour embarassed me in front of my family and the other passengers.
RouteManchester to Abu Dhabi

"they refuse to refund"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Paris via Abu Dhabi booked for June 2020. Bad service, they refuse to refund when the airline cancel their flight in June 2020. I have contacted them so many times and it always direct me to the call centre where hardly speak English.
RouteBangkok to Paris via Abu Dhabi

"Two great flights"

Not Verified | Outbound Business, and return economy Two great flights both on time. Great food and beverage and one of the best crews I’ve experienced- nothing was too much trouble. Very engaged and very professional. Etihad crew I’ve always found one of the best. Kudos to Etihad the experience was like the old days.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Santorini
Date FlownJune 2022

"I wont book Etihad again"

Not Verified | Do you believe that after completing the online check-in process, we still need to stand in line for 2 hours in the airport to get your boarding passes. The airport staff from Etihad Airways are the worst i have ever seen. Inside the flight they refuse to provide hot water to feed the milk to children (we need to beg them for hot water 2 to 3 times), if the child cries they will ask you to take them to Restroom for calming. The Veg food (Cucumber salad) provided in the 13 hour flight (IAD to AUH) was stale and greasy. I wont book Etihad again.
RouteWashington to Chennai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2022

"demanded that we provide Thaipass"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | I, along with my wife and three small children were supposed to fly on flight EY66 / EY430 from Moscow to Bangkok. When checking in our luggage, the airline representative refused to check us in for the flight and demanded that we provide Thaipass. I was not informed that this could be a reason for denial of registration. However, I applied for a Thaipass at the time of check-in, and begged the airline representative to delay check-in from 10.55 am to 11.15 am, with the flight scheduled to depart at 11.55 am. Sheremetyevo airport is not busy. Despite my requests, the representative of the airline finished check-in and left the airport at 11.00. at 11.15 am I received a letter saying that all members of my family received a Thaipass, which allowed me to fly to Thailand. I contacted the Etihad representative by phone and asked to find a way to get on the flight, given that I went through online check-in in advance. All my requests were answered in the negative. In addition, our return tickets were automatically cancelled. In addition to air tickets, I paid for hotel accommodation in Thailand, and a lot of related expenses. It is impossible to describe the state of my family, given the lack of opportunities to change or buy new tickets.
RouteMoscow to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2022

"not to use this company for flights with pets"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Terrible service for those who want to fly with pets in cabin. You cannot plan a trip with this company as the department does not give you answer for ages (btw I called either local cc in Russia and international one in UAE). The calls to support center does not give you anything because they can only verify if there is room for your pet or no. They can only write a letter to this pet department! First time I called the international department, they wrote this letter and said that the dept should answer in 24 hours but we didn't get any answer! Same story with my local department. And all the time when all this happened, I couldn't be sure in my future plans as they do not book this place for your pet. By the way, people in support center are polite and ok in terms of their professional capabilities. All in all I strongly recommend not to use this company for your flights with pets as you cannot be sure in your future plans.
RouteMoscow to Abu-dhabi
Date FlownJune 2022

"nightmare of an experience"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Kochi via Abu Dhabi. It was an nightmare of an experience. The flight was about 2-3 hours delay and we missed the connecting flight. We were provided with tickets only on next day, We were given a cheap food voucher they took our passports for visa processing since the hotel was outside the airport. Even though we called earlier and confirmed that the hotel reservation will be provided inside the airport. They initially said it will take an hour or 2 but we had to wait with kids for more than 5 hours in cold uncomfortable chairs in the middle of the night around 2.00 am to get the visa for the hotel transfer. We asked them to let us in a lounge but they said it cannot be provided as per policy. Such rude attitude and behavior shown by the staff even after mentioning we had small kids. We have never had such a horrendous experience any time during our flight journey in our entire lives. My best advice is to never ever travel with this airlines.
RouteAmsterdam to Kochi via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2022

"I am making endless calls to call center"

Not Verified | I want to make a serious complaint about the terrible lack of customer service at Etihad, for those flying with pets. Etihad is the only airline allowing pet in cabin in and outbound into UAE. However the service responsible for that does not have a phone and only communicates very sporadically and very vaguely by email. Calling the call centre is useless as these people just keep saying it is not their department. So we are facing strict deadlines with complex documents to submit, but no timely feedback from Etihad. Basically no feedback at all. I had to change my flight several times because of this and I am desperate, it feels like I will never get on this flight and I have sleepless nights. One phone call from the right department could have fixed all this. But now I am making endless calls to call center in the hope if could move something.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteAbu Dhabi to Brussels
Date FlownMay 2022

"high service level"

Trip Verified | Munich to Abu Dhabi. Flew to Abu Dhabi on the comfortable Business Studio product of Etihad. Always loved the hard product onboard and seeing that the soft product onboard has steadily improved over the past years makes me very happy. Upon entering the Dreamliner, I found the Wellness Kit onboard that features a few Covid related safety measurements, such as hand sanitisers and a mask. They also had the luxurious Acqua di Parma amenity kit ready as I took my seat, which is my all-time favorite Business Class amenity kit. The catering onboard was delicious with a choice of starters, mains and desserts and the all-day menu featuring a nice range of further meals. Crew was super attentive, remembered my preferences and ensured my well-being throughout the entire 6 hours flight from Munich to Abu Dhabi. It's nice to see Etihad back at their high service level. Excited for future trips on Etihad Airways!
RouteMunich to Abu Dhabi