Etihad Airways

"A pretty enjoyable flight"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Bahrain to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi. One thing that needs to be addressing I feel based on both flights & is a dangerous precedent that seems to be on the increase is the continued use of mobiles phones whilst taking off and landing. My first flight from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi on take off had a guy who was still talking on his mobile phone, even after the normal warnings issued by the crew! Then landing you can see folk starting texting and this was so evident on both flights. This is safety violations but as the crew are already in their seats none of them can see what’s going on in the cabin. The use of mobiles on take off & landing must be enforced & not one crew member is doing anything to stop what is becoming an epidemic on the most dangerous part of a flight take off & landing... apart from this observation both crews were attentive and one crew member on The Melbourne flight from Serbia deserves special mention as she did take great care of me even if I slept most of the flight. Makes a nice change when a crew member makes a great effort & goes above the normal of what’s expected from a crew member. Need more of her type in the skies. The IFE seems to have improved as a lot better choice of films were very evident so Etihad must keep it up. WiFi need big improvement inflight though as connection just keeps getting disconnected many times. A pretty enjoyable flight this time around though.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 787
RouteBahrain to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2018

"last flight with Etihad"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi booked for December 2018. Worst Customer Service Center I have dealt with. My parents fly with Etihad Airways every year to Australia. Called customer service last August for my elderly parents who were trying to keep their air miles. They couldn’t fly last year due to health reason but in july 2017 they wanted to book Dec 2018 in order to save their airmiles. There was no flights available as it was too far out. When we explained it, we were told there was nothing we could do. Sept this year my mom gets a call from Etihad that she answered on her hands free as she was driving. She was told that they cancelled her return flight back to the UK and would she accept another flight back. She cooperated and said yes only to find out that the details of the new flight means she has to get a taxi to airport $90 and a hotel. She was quite distraught. I called and explained to be told that she agreed, therefore there was nothing that she could do. I asked to speak to a manager. I got a call from a supervisor. She couldn’t help, so I asked to speak to a manager. I was told on Sept 20th that a manager would call me and still haven’t heard from them. After complaining I was promised another call at 2pm. I then received an email at 3:20pm stating they couldn’t reach me. 3.5months later still trying to talk to a manager. This is my parents last flight with Etihad.
RouteDublin to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2018

"denied entry to the lounge"

Not Verified | I am a gold member of Etihad and my husband is platinum. We live in Abu Dhabi really do not have any alternative to using this airline even though Etihad never fails to surprise me in the myriad of weird and wonderful ways it can think of to treat its customers badly and this flight was no surprise. I booked my ticket on the Etihad website; it had an Etihad flight number EY7854; I paid my money to Etihad. Then, we were not able to select a seat or check in online. So we went to Abu Dhabi airport early to select seats together and to enjoy dinner and a drink in the first class lounge only to find we were denied entry to the lounge because it was not an Etihad operated flight, but Middle East Airlines! We were told this was due to some contract between Etihad and MEA and that the information was available on the website (not true). When we left and were about 4 yards away, I turned around and saw that the lounge manager and door attendant were laughing at us - we are repeat customers - we are travelling again in December, January and February. Etihad do not let their customers, loyal or otherwise, ever have a win. You cannot select a seat in advance without paying about 1/3 of the original price extra even if you are a gold or platinum frequent flyer; they will separate you and your husband when it comes to their seat allocation; you only get one meal on the flight and that is served at inappropriate times so that if you have a flight of over 4 hours you arrive hungry; and all of this is on top of the creaky old planes with their ugly brown livery and small, narrow seats with minimum leg room. I don't know why anyone ever chooses Etihad.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Beirut
Date FlownDecember 2018

"on a race to the bottom"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Bahrain to Diblin via Abu Dhabi. I have been loyal to this airline for over 10 years now , Having been a gold member for many years, whilst once this airline was a leader it is now sadly on a race to the bottom. This race is not just the hard product but the soft product. Staff who need to be retrained from their appalling call centre to the Etihad guest program that is now a farce. Again another 8 phone calls to their call centre 5 I was hung up on within the first sentence to three others who placed me on hold for over 10 minutes to revert with a price on change to my ticket for the return leg, a Flex ticket to be told three different prices, all of which were higher that the original ticket being a ticket cost 1300 Eur to then ask for 1400 Euro for date change. While checking their website a brand new return ticket in the same class would cost me 900 euro. The mind boggles how this is calculated. Etihad need to get your act together. This combined with trying to have your miles credited correctly ever time you take a flight.
RouteBahrain to Diblin via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2018

"IFE is markedly substandard"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Abu Dhabi. Good: Check-in open at least 4 hours prior to the flight. Not busy, efficiently processed and retired to the generic airport lounge used by Etihad for shower and change of clothes though somewhat lacking in facilities otherwise; very limited choice of food particularly for vegetarians and vegans. Flight not that busy, empty seat alongside which makes a big difference. Staff friendly and swiftly dealt with a conflict over seating without making a drama; a largish family group determined to take matters into their own hands to ensure they all sat together irrespective of the allocated seats. Drinks immediately served on departure followed by the meal - a vegetarian option for myself. Arrival in Abu Dhabi a few minutes ahead of schedule. Not so good: The aircraft was one of, if not the oldest 777 in the Etihad fleet and did it show. The brown interior decor favoured by Etihad never looked great but is now hopelessly dated and compares poorly to other airlines. There was no live TV available; generally Etihad's IFE is markedly substandard in comparison to other airlines, including low-cost carriers. Very disappointing on what should be a flagship long-haul service. Whether this was a function of the aircraft's age or a change of policy is not known, Likewise poor show for the failure of the crew to recognize that I'm a Gold Card holder. Finally, there is the near obligatory delight of being crammed into a bus for the grand tour of the wilds of Abu Dhabi airport on arrival - at least the buses turned up this time, unlike a previous occasion. So doing simply undermines the positive impression of the service offered at the departure airport.
RouteBangkok to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Never flying this airline again"

Not Verified | Never flying with this airline again. Not only have I been ripped off incredibly by paying over $2000 AUD for a return flight (paid in October 2017), for seat check in, I needed to pay for the seat reservation. Are you kidding me? This was never something I needed to do with this airline. Also, on my way to Jordan (back in June 2018), I was not told about the recent luggage allowance change from 30 to only 23, which came into effect Jan this year. I was only 1.5kgs over by accident and the rude lady at the counter charged me 2kg excess. Why not charge only for 1.5kg? Why round it up? Couldn’t she have just given me a break and either round down to 1lg excess or none at all? Absolutely fuming at this airline carrier. Not recommending or flying with them ever again.
RouteMunich to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"Excellent service"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Abu Dhabi (return leg) on 28 November 2018. Economy class. The flight from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi (Boeing 777-300) was in my estimation no more than 75% full and took off within a few minutes of the scheduled departure time; arrived on time. Excellent service from the ground staff and from the flight crew on the plane. Liquid refreshments (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) served regularly during the flight. Food was "satisfactory" although not as good as it was when I last flew Etihad six years previously (it was then outstanding). Entertainment availability was fine although more restricted than on some of the other Middle East airlines. Airport facilities at Abu Dhabi (both seating accommodation and available shopping facilities) much improved according to my recollection. From Abu Dhabi to London Heathrow (Airbus A380 - world's best aircraft for passenger experience, in my opinion) the flight appeared to be very close to fully booked and departure was delayed for around 30 minutes to allow boarding by passengers from a connecting flight that had been delayed - this a positive rather than a negative feature to my mind. Arrival at London was nevertheless on time to within a few minutes. My return to Etihad was largely as a result of the extremely competitive price offered for the (return) flight ticket. If the pricing and standard of service can be maintained I foresee that Etihad will become and remain my airline of choice for the time being.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / A380
RouteBangkok to London via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2018

"planes being half empty"

Not Verified | This was my first flight with Etihad Airways from Brisbane to Rome via Abu Dhabi. November isn’t high season in Europe and one can only hope that long haul international flights aren’t full. Each of my Etihad flights were fantastic due mainly to the planes being half empty. All economy passengers had either a row to themselves or at least a spare seat in between each other. My husband and sons each flew different Etihad flights from Brisbane to Rome in November and experienced the same. Also, the interconnecting flights were less than two hours. The meals are small but tasty enough served with complimentary alcoholic beverages. Super impressed and highly recommend Etihad in low season.
RouteBrisbane to Rome via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2018

"never fly with Etihad again"

(Pakistan)

Trip Verified | Islamabad to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi. Not very good experience for long flight economy class passenger. Very small aircraft for long flight of more than 13 hours, over packed flight. Abu Dhabi airport very disappointing in terms of longer transit, pathetic duty free. Food on flight was below average. However flight crew was active and kind. Have travelled from Islamabad to Melbourne then back from Sydney to Islamabad. Although from Sydney it was A380,but again overbooked flight! Economy class not very comfortable. Will never fly with Etihad again, very small aircraft, poor food, no free internet on flight and unimpressive duty free!
RouteIslamabad to Melbourne via Abu Dhabi

"Most horrid experience"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi. Most horrid experience. The food was lousy, salad on both sectors was frozen pieces of vegetables. Cucumber on the onward journey and corn on the return journey. Kept asking the staff for hot water and they kept saying they will come back and they never showed up. This happened not once or twice but 3 times so much so that I gave up asking for it. Counter staff in BLR made a fuss about 1 kilo of excess weight on the hand baggage. I never want to fly with them ever. Better to use the European airlines as the experience is much better.
RouteToronto to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi