Etihad Airways

"Not a children friendly flight"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Manchester to Abu Dhabi. This sector was not available for online preferred seats (paid seats) The seats were allocated 2x3 rows for six passengers where three seats were available in the sector. These were system allocated seats. I called the Etihad office in Manchester to change this in to three in a row since we were traveling with Kids. Although the call center officer tried her best to help me, she said I have to get them from the Airport and it should not be an issue. When we reached the Airport we were dissapointed with the attitude of the Ground staff, where the checkin counter officer was rushing us to check in the baggage warning us the counter would be closed in 10 minutes and we would be off loaded (we had 1hr and 20 minutes at this point before departure) This looked like a scam to earn additional money from passengers who are over weight. Since we had little choice to rearrange our baggage, Out of desperation I paid for 5 additional kgs and left two baggages behind. We wouldn't have been over weight if we were not refused a Cabin luggage, mentioning it was oversized to go in as cabin luggage, although it was in the allowed cabin baggage allowance. I wonder why they did not allow the kilos that we were allowed in the refused cabin luggage to be checked in, since they refuse the baggage to be taken in the cabin. Also I was surprised how the same piece of baggage survived two sector belonging to the same Airline when we travelled to Manchester. It was very disappointing to see the treatment of the the other ground staff officer, rushing us to get to the boarding gate although we were traveling with an elderly lady. Finally I had to tell him that I made a request online for Wheel chair assistance where it was never offered to the passenger at check in. When we arrived at the gate, the passengers were still queued up. "What was the mighty rush my the so call ground staff officer"? The biggest drama was when we boarded the Aircraft. It was hot like a sauna. Most of the lockers were full and I ask one of the cabin crew where could I keep the baggage and she replied "The flight is full" with a don't care attitude and just walked away. At that point a kind passenger was helping me to sort out my baggage. When I opened one of the lockers, the cabin member came back and said "it is understood that the lockers are closed because they are full" 'Oh Really" that was news to me having, flown for several years. However the kind passenger (mentioned above)helped me out to sort out my baggage. Since the heat was unbearable, my wife pressed the button for assistance to get some water, but no crew member turned up. But soon I realised that we were not alone since I saw three more illuminated lights calling for assistance where no cabin member turned up. The flight took off around 8.45 PM. Around 9.45 pm we were served with some savoury biscuits (savoury biscuits at that time of the night?) Finally when the Dinner was served, it was 11.15 PM. At least the kids were not served meals on time. Few points to note to the benefit of other passengers- Although this is a long sector only 23kg allowed in Economy. Not a children friendly flight. If you are traveling with children and elderly people, avoid this flight as it is very unlikely that you will get any kind of assistance from the cabin crew. Should also mentioned that the seats were not adjustable although a button exist to do so.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteManchester to Abu Dhabi

"Terrible customer service"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Kuala Lumpur via Abu Dhabi. The 20th October I was going to fly from Madrid to Denpasar, and I said "I was going to" because the crew was so overwhelmed with the overbooking in the flight that could not attend everyone properly and let me out of the flight. I waited in the queue more than an hour (they had to open more desks as otherwise they wouldn't be on time to close the flight). First person I talked to ask for a flight that shows I am leaving Bali within a month, I completely understand that legally you need it but I explained them I have lived in Bali for 4 years (I showed them all my working permits and stamps) and I am waiting for a new working permit (also you can extend your visa at airport until 60 days so this could be also an option, but not). This person pass me with the manager, I have to wait as she is talking with other passengers, I don't understand why everyone is so tense, crew and passengers but I wait until there is a space for me. After explaining her the same she still requires the ticket and send me to buy it to the front (AirEuropa), they were also busy so I waited, when they were free they told me they don't fly to Bali and can not help me, why do you send me to AirEuropa then? I ended up buying the ticket online close to the crew of Etihad, they knew what I was doing, and when I received the confirmation they said the flight was closed and that i am not considered overbooking like another 5 people because I had no my flight in time. This was the worst treat I ever had, they were so overwhelmed because the company sold more seats than what they should. I followed every step they told me, they knew I was buying the ticket, they knew I live here in Bali and need to fly and still let me out, shameless. When they realised how bad they treated me and how unfair they were, they try to fix it and, of course, Madrid approved to reissue the ticket for the next day, when they were on it the central did not let them reissue, did they even listened to what happened at the airport? I called customer services several times just to be told I have to pay the change plus the no show fee, again, shameless, 500 euros. I ended up buying a new ticket as I would not accept a no show in this situation. Another 580 euros because the airline was too busy to attend properly to the passengers. The day after the crew apologised but nothing else they can do. I already claimed twice and did not even have an answer from them. Terrible customer service, terrible attitude.
RouteMadrid to Kuala Lumpur via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2018

"going through such bad times?"

Trip Verified | Delhi to London via Abu Dhabi. The seating policy is too bad. I understand that all the airlines have started charging for some seats if we want to select them beforehand but once the check-in opens, other airlines that I have flown allow us to select them. I flew from Abu-Dhabi to London on 23rd October and we were not able to select exit or bulkhead seats. Once inside the aircraft, we saw that the seats were vacant, so requested the crew if I could move there and was denied. Some other passengers also requested to be moved but were denied. When I was flying from London to Abu Dhabi, I went to the galley and asked if I could have some crisps or peanuts as was still hungry. The lady crew member tells me that I have to pay if I wanted to have anything else. Is Etihad going through such bad times?
RouteDelhi to London via Abu Dhabi

"very pleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Washington to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi. First time flyer with Etihad Airways. The smaller aircraft with fewer passengers provides more individual attention from the cabin crew. The transfer from aircraft to terminal in Abu Dhabi was in a bus. More comfortable arrangements can be made for Business Class passengers. Ground transportation from airport to the hotel and return was well arranged and comfortable in a limo. Ample selection of food and beverages provided on the flight. Very impressive cabin crew, courteous and friendly. Seat comfort was good but could be more plush. Overall, a very pleasant experience.
RouteWashington to Bangalore via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2018

"not fly Etihad ever again"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi. Awful impolite crew. I had to ask for water several times. It was an overnight flight which arrived in the evening in Brisbane so I didn't want to sleep because of jetlag & work next morning. The crew didn't like that & ignored my request that I had to go to the galley myself to receive water. Not enough immigration cards for all passengers. When I complained they gave some to other passengers the cards & totally ignored me even they had some more left later. I asked politely again & was told to organise it at airport. Food was below average. Booking system is worth & you have to pay extra for seats ($50+ per leg) so it sums up to not low air fare anyway. So many other airlines are cheaper & offer excellent service, food & entertainment. Will not fly Etihad ever again.
RouteFrankfurt to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2018

"food tasty and plentiful"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Kuala Lumpur via Abu Dhabi. Booked flights to with Etihad simply on price. My daughter had used them several years ago and had nothing but praise. From the moment I boarded till the moment I left both flights, the service, food and aircraft were excellent. The seats were a little hard, but not uncomfortable and the entertainment system is somewhat lacking. The cabin crew did regular drink rounds with a smile and the food tasty and plentiful.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A330
RouteManchester to Kuala Lumpur via Abu Dhabi

"Extremely uncomfortable seats"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Abu Dhabi. The cabin crew service was good and that is about the only positive for this 7 hour flight. Extremely uncomfortable seats in this aging aircraft. If you recline you cant get get out as there is no space and these seats are not worth the ticket price. We had flown to Madrid on the Boeing 787 which definitely had better seats. The food selection looked good but the quality was lacking. The Chicken Biryani was over-spiced ginger chicken pieces on boiled yellow rice - nothing even close to what a biryani should be. My partner had the Pumpkin Pasta which turned out to be under cooked. The Passion Fruit meringue was on a stone hard base. A very disappointing experience. The toilets on the rear side of the cabin had this foul smell. In the B777 the Business Class experience is not worth the price you pay.
RouteMadrid to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Etihad was a big let down"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam and I can say that Etihad was a big let down, an utter failure when it comes to customer service. I have already checked in and chose my seat (window seat) online but when I showed up at the airport to drop my bags and get my boarding pass the check in lady changed my seat into an aisle seat (she didn't even bother to notify me) and to my surprise I didn't know until I reached the airplane and staff directed me to my new seat - that was the first thing that made me frustrated. In addition to that the cabin crew were really impolite and they kept hitting my shoulder as they were walking down the aisle and they didn't even bother to say sorry until I told one of them 'Hey watch it, this is the 3rd time you hit my shoulder' then he looked at me and continued walking? It was a morning flight so breakfast was served and I'm happy as hell that I ate from McDonald's Abu Dhabi airport before I board the plane - the breakfast Etihad served was so atrocious. The in-flight entertainment was mostly old movies and the alcohol served was mainly cheap brands - bconsidering how expensive Etihad flights are in general (around 1000 dollars for an economy seat yet they provide the cheapest alcohol ever). Etihad is a horrible deal with its expensive prices & cheap service onboard and impolite staff - an airline to avoid. I recommend Etihad becomes a low cost carrier with it's extremely bad services both on ground & on air.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Amsterdam
Date FlownMay 2018

"gone to the bottom of the pile"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Abu Dhabi. Have had a gold card now for 8 years with Etihad and they used to be excellent but over the last couple of years have gone to the bottom of the pile. But the final nail in the coffin was when, on a half empty plane, I was told i was not allowed to move to a empty row of bulkhead seats, wrote to Etihad and had a blunt reply insinuating that if i want to move there I have to pay a ridiculously high fee. Asked to see cabin supervisor to explain but she didn't have the courtesy or guts to talk to me. I have a couple more flights booked but after that I'm changing airlines
RouteKuala Lumpur to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"never fly with Etihad again"

Trip Verified | Islamabad to London via Abu Dhabi. At check in I was refused because the flight was overbooked as told by the check in staff. What surprised me is she ask me to pay around 300USD or wait till the check in close which is an hour before the flight time. More surprising when she said my aircraft was A380 but because we have less passengers we going to send Boeing 777, but I didn't understood why she ask to pay again to guarantee me the seat when I all ready paid for my ticket. Anyway one hour before my flight they issued me a boarding card and I checked in. Will never fly with Etihad again, in flight the food, seat or entertainment nothing is good.
RouteIslamabad to London via Abu Dhabi