Etihad Airways

"Very rude ground staff"

Trip Verified | Very rude ground staff of Etihad Airways at Ahmedabad Airport. Inflight staff was good. This staff humiliates to passengers. This feedback is latest when my Daughter was traveling this Airline on 29.12.2023 thru EV 285 Flight.
RouteAhmedabad to Toronto via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownDecember 2023

"Terrible unfortunate experience"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Terrible unfortunate experience. Never encountered such inexperienced and incompetent ground staff. But being inexperienced and incompetent is one thing and being curt and arrogant is another. That is uncalled for and simply unacceptable. Couldn’t wait to get away from the toxic environment. Firstly, for unknown reason when I arrived to check in my seat for unjustified reason was put on stand by. After the employee called the aircraft that issue was solved of course still no explanation and then followed one incompetence after the other. Having compassion for the lady I stayed patient and calm but when her colleague but as her colleague started becoming so rude and talking to me in an aggressive, rude and incomprehensible manner, that’s when I asked him his name as he wasn’t wearing a badge but of course he didn’t give his name. It’s so unfortunate and disappointing to be treated in such a curt and aggressive manner by an airline employee.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Jeddah
Date FlownDecember 2023

"exploitative baggage policies"

Trip Verified | While the in-flight service on Etihad Airways was quite decent, the service on the ground and the issues with the app/website, along with their exploitative baggage policies make this airline one that I would never fly with again. I had an economy class ticket but paid for an upgrade to Business Class for the second leg of the flight. I had attempted numerous times prior to this flight to add an extra checked bag via the airline's website as well as the Etihad app, and each time I tried to do so there was an error asking me to try again later. As a result, I ended up having to check the bag at the airport. When I got to the airport and tried to explain my situation, I was told that because I didn't book the bag online (keep in mind that I literally couldn't) the charge would be higher - I ended up having to pay 2,860 SAR ($1083.41 CAD) to check one 20kg bag. This was more than the cost of buying an entirely separate economy class ticket, and was the case despite me having paid to upgrade to Business Class for the second leg of the flight. In addition to this, the Etihad staff at Riyadh airport handwrote an additional fee onto the receipt and refused to provide me with baggage tags unless I also paid the extra fee, without any explanation for why they added it on. The check-in agent specifically noted that I "should have picked a different airline" if I wanted all of the fees to be actually printed on the receipt. When I spoke with Etihad staff in Abu Dhabi regarding the same issue, they told me that it was essentially my fault the website and app didn't work properly, and that I "didn't really have a choice but to pay all the fees which is too bad". I filed a complaint with Etihad Airways the same day as my flight (when I asked staff what the contact information was for the airline to do so, they told me that I "should know how to use Google"). They eventually wrote back two weeks later, with the following reply: -- "Please note that The excess baggage can only be issued on Etihad flights and where itineraries involve other airlines excess baggage can be purchased at the airport We appreciate your understanding regarding this matter." -- This reply is not applicable to my situation at all, given that all of my flights were flown by Etihad Airways (as can be confirmed on my attached boarding passes), and the ticket was booked directly with Etihad Airways and not with a third party. I replied to this message, and have had only radio silence since November 24, 2023. I therefore feel that I have given Etihad Airways more than a reasonable timeframe to reply to my concerns prior to posting this review. I should mention that the in-flight service by the crew on both flights was excellent, particularly in Business Class from AUH-DUB, where the crew was pleasant, attentive, and caring. The A350-1000 was also a very clean and quiet plane, although the A320 from RUH-AUH was a bit dated. Ultimately, if it wasn't for the incredibly rude and condescending way I was treated on the ground (both in Riyadh and Abu Dhabi), plus the lack of acknowledgement by the airline that the app and website have significant issues (ultimately I have penalized immensely for Etihad's technical problems), I would have rated the airline much better.
AircraftA320 / A350-1000
RouteRiyadh to Dublin via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2023

"Will never fly Etihad again"

(Indonesia)

Not Verified | The worst business flight I had in 2023. Despite purchasing a business class ticket from Etihad for a full flat all aisle access we were downgraded to a Wamos aging A330 with broken seat, broken, IFE system, appalling IFE content and terrible food. Total disgrace. Will never fly Etihad again.
RouteJakarta to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2023

"a shocking level of negligence"

Trip Verified | Having arrived on 17.09.2023 from Dallas Fort Worth to Ahmadabad, my ordeal began when I discovered my wheelchair missing. What ensued over the last 3 months has been a frustrating odyssey of failed attempts at resolution, highlighting a shocking level of negligence and insensitivity on the part of Etihad Airways. Despite my relentless efforts to communicate and seek a resolution, each attempt has been met with silence. As an individual with a disability, my wheelchair is not a mere convenience; it is a fundamental necessity for my mobility. The loss of this crucial aid has disrupted my daily life in ways beyond comprehension. My presentation of an option to Etihad Airways suggesting the expedited purchase of a replacement wheelchair has yielded no tangible results. I extend a cautionary note to potential travelers, urging them to exercise careful consideration before choosing Etihad Airways. The evident lack of concern for my predicament is not just an isolated incident; it reflects a broader pattern of neglect and apathy towards customer service.
RouteChicago to Ahmedabad via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"I have not received my refund"

Trip Verified | I purchased Etihad return ticket through cleartrip for departure date 25 June 2023. A few days prior to travel, I randomly checked online on Etihad website and couldn’t find my ticket. Thinking it may be temporary error and tried checking again after one or two days and it returned same – that my ticket wasn’t getting displayed on Etihad website. Finally I called the airline to check what was the issue and they said the flight is cancelled. I was shocked as nobody informed me (either email or sms) about cancellation. Immediately I applied for full refund of the ticket value and till now I have not received my refund. I have made dozens of calls and they give so lame excuses. Today they came with another excuse – that my refund was rejected. The reason they say that my ticket is still showing active on their website. I am more than frustrated with this airline’s pity state of affair. I will never ever travel with this airline even if they offer free ticket, but also I will urge other people to exercise extreme caution if you happen to chose this airline.
RouteDubai to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2023

"did not have extra legroom"

Trip Verified | My wife, 2 kids (4 years and 3 months old) were flying with me from Toronto to Doha. They were on a separate booking than me, so I paid extra money to have seats next to them. I paid for extra legroom seats at 23C aisle seat. The staff had moved my wife and kids away from row 23 and moved them to row 43. When I asked them to put them back on the seats we had selected in row 23 by calling Etihad airways customer service, they refused. As such they changed my seat to row 45 which did not have extra legroom and was a middle seat. Etihad went about boarding in Toronto with business first zone 1, 2, 3 and then came to us. I asked a few times that with children long lines are difficult for them, is there a family line and I was told there was none. We had four carry on for all four of us and had put it in the seats above us. While re-arranging others bags, the flight attendant whose bag is this to which I said it was mine. She took it out and gave it to me and said we have to put other peoples bags even though it was right above our seat. I said the leg space is already less and we have just put one carry on and not multiple like some other people, but she just left. For the 13 hr flight, not only did I get my extra leg space, I had my one carry on forced onto me to put under the seat in front of me. When we landed in Abu Dhabi we waited for the stroller to be given at the airline gate, we were told the we can only get the stroller in Doha and to ask for a stroller at the Abu Dhabi airport. We asked around waited for 30 minutes and no stroller was found at the Abu Dhabi airport. When it came time to board the Abu Dhabi flight, the same issue of not having a specified line was prevalent. When our boarding pass was scanned, I reached the bus gate and it was packed, so I asked the Etihad personnel to open the bus behind us which was empty. He instead led us to the same bus to the third bus door asking people to make space for us. There was no space to be made. The passengers in the bus were kind enough to see my wife holding a 3 month old baby and gave up their seats for her. The touchscreen for your entertainment screen from the Toronto to Abu Dhabi was extremely error prone and we mostly had to use handsets to manouvre the options around. I fly Qatar airways and they board people who need assistance and families sometimes even before business class. Doubtful anything will change after this post, I wish you luck in trying to be a fair and inclusive airline.
RouteToronto to Doha via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2023

“left a lasting negative impression”

Not Verified | My experience with Etihad Airways, particularly at the check-in counter with Imran, was regrettably disappointing. Imran exhibited a concerning lack of flexibility and subjected me to the unnecessary inconvenience of weighing my handbag, an unusual and unwarranted practice in my extensive flying history. Moreover, the ordeal continued as he insisted on charging more for baggage fees than seemed justified, consistently rejecting the option to pay for an extra piece of luggage and instead emphasizing additional kilos. As a frequent flyer, my first encounter with Etihad left a lasting negative impression. Imran's meticulous scrutiny of grams, seemingly aimed at extracting every possible fee, was both frustrating and unprecedented in my travels. Unfortunately, this experience has left me with a strong reluctance to choose Etihad Airways for future flights. The emphasis on financial gains over customer service has significantly diminished my confidence in the airline.
RouteMuscat to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2023

"Unexpected fees and lack of clarity"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | When I bought a business class ticket from Lisbon to Bangkok, I expected comfort and all the perks of expensive tariffs. However, when I wanted to change the date of my return flight, I was surprised: instead of $30, they charged me $700 euros. Explanations about "fare rules" left a lot of questions. Even the support couldn’t clearly say where the fee comes from. All they said was “the website calculates it like this”. Unexpected fees and lack of clarity is something you don't expect from business class. I recommend weighing your choices before flying business with Etihad.
RouteLisbon to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2023

"can only be described as chaotic"

Trip Verified | The cabin experience was fine and on par with other airlines. Consequently, this review is primarily regarding Ground/Back Office Operations. It has taken the Airlines more than 2 months and multiple contacts and misdirection to inform me that I need to contact American Airlines to claim Frequent Flier miles, in spite my having specified my AA number on the reservation! There appears to be very little coordination between Etihad and Abu Dhabi Customs in terms of disallowed items et al and I was detained for carrying clearly labelled medications, threatened with imprisonment and fined. Needing my medication, I visited a medical institution in Abu Dhabi, and paid for a doctors's consultation and a prescription! My subsequent flight to JFK was delayed by a whole day but the way the Airline handled Hotel and transport for the delayed passengers can only be described as chaotic.
RouteBangalore to New York via Abu Dhabi