Etihad Airways

"First and last time choosing Etihad"

Trip Verified | It took me 2 months of dealing with Etihad before getting to a point of writing a negative review, as I never do that. Which means I had given them many chances to fix my experience, which only got worse. I was surprised to be dealing (for over 2 months) with phone & FB representatives who gave me false promises, attitude and zero help. From guaranteeing a certain rate for extra luggage (I called to check, as the price in unavailable prior to purchasing a ticket) to ending up paying almost twice that amount (after already paying a very exaggerated amount for my one-way ticket), to poor communication and having to check the status of my complaint every week or so (which was not handled, of course, until this day), and to book a specific seat, which after getting confirmation turned out to not be available (3 different seats- same issue). I was never offered compensation, even after asking for it, and only got embarrassing answers from different people, plus promises to get a call back from a supervisor - which never happened. That is the tip of the iceberg of my experience. First and last time choosing Etihad.
RouteSydney to Tel Aviv via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownApril 2022

"Keep up the good service"

Not Verified | Pleasantly surprised that Etihad have kept up the standard during Covid. Flight was smooth, food options were good. Flight took off on time. Keep up the good service.
AircraftBoeing 78X
RouteAbu Dhabi to London
Date FlownMarch 2022

"By far the worst experience"

Not Verified | By far the worst experience I have ever had with an airline. I purchased seats for an extra $128 when I booked my flights. My return flight was changed to a day later than what I booked. All reserved seats were eliminated so I had no assigned seats. I tried to rebook the seats online but they wanted to charge me for the seats again. I called the help center and after 1:20 minutes on hold, the agent told me to purchase the seats again and then request a refund. I replied that wasn't an option and finally got the agent to reassign my seats without a charge. Fast forward a few weeks and there is another flight schedule change. All assigned seats are lost again. Online attempt to recover wants me to pay again. Another long call to customer service to get resolved. Now it is check in time. After check in I find the paid for seats have been lost and instead I am given poor seats in the rear of the plane. Two additional calls to customer service being told they cannot change my seats nor will they refund the money I paid for the seats but they can assign the correct seats for the return flights. Thirty minutes after the call I log back into their website to see if I can download my boarding passes. Surprise! The assigned seats for the return flights are now gone and I don't have any seat assigned.
RouteChicago to Seychelles via Abu Dhabi

"become increasingly disappointing"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | As a former Gold member of Etihad, the airline has become increasingly disappointing over the years. Flight booked on Etihad website from Cape Town to Dubai. Etihad cancels Cape Town leg, stating they no longer fly to Cape Town. Departure point is changed to Johannesburg, approx 1500km away. Etihad books a local flight on British Airways after numerous phone calls to an incompetent disinterested call centre. Flight cancelled again. This time Etihad refuses to re-book a local flight. I have to pay extra and book a separate flight to Johannesburg, or run the risk of losing my entire Etihad flight. Bus journey Abu Dhabi - Dubai is uneventful (once you find them in the open parking lot). There are no proper directions from arrival to the bus area. Once you arrive there you have to stand around waiting for the bus driver to arrive, no seating area as you're in the middle of a parking lot. Return bus journey to Abu Dhabi. There is no Etihad bus station, only a parking lot behind an old shopping centre. They state in their emails that you have to be there 2 hours before the time. Their call centre's response: that's just the way it is. Then you have to wait on the street (in the Dubai climate) for the bus. How can a company treat its loyal patrons with such contempt? Etihad can - they're just too big and too rich to care.
RouteJohannesburg to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"a bad experience at all levels"

Trip Verified | Travelled from Chicago to Abu Dhabi. It was a bad experience at all levels. Or you can say way below what I expected. It was so expensive for economy class. Check in no real line they check whoever come to the counter. Boarding was the same. The flight attendants they were not organized. They go back and forth for each person to serve lunch. There was no food menu. No paper or electronic. So technically you don’t know what they serve. The seats were a torture. Old uncomfortable seats. This is my first and last experience and I don’t recommend Etihad to any traveller. On our way back we were denied boarding. They told me that We can not board because our Covid test it was 36 hours not 24 hour. Although we are fully vaccinated. They can just simply offer to test us again before the flight and wait in the plane till the result is back as there was a testing facility at the airport that give results in 2 hours and they didn’t even mention They are very cheap and heartless individuals.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Chicago

"I’m extremely disappointed"

Not Verified | Etihad really went downhill. Big delays on all flights. But the worse was the attitude de of the staff: rude or, in the best case, ignoring. Asking for a glass of water makes them upset. Kids running and shouting, people not wearing face masks, attendant call button pressed in for 30 minutes - they choose to ignore it. When you say that you wait for 30 minutes to grasp their attention because you need water to take your medicine, they don’t apologize. They stare at you. I flew with Etihad in the past. Now I’m extremely disappointed.
RouteChennai to Amsterdam via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"Disaster, and never again!"

Trip Verified | Appalling service on Etihad business class. Didn't bother reading reviews as it supposedly is such a well renowned airline I didn't see it as necessary, but boy were we wrong. Seats broken, maitre flirting with passenger for hours and showing pictures of her in bathing suit, absolutely unbelievable. On our return flight we had 7 kids running back and forth from economy to business for 5 continuous hours, and cabin crew did nothing. At the end the business class was full of trash on the floor. Out of 4 flights only one was decent in flight as it was during night, and minimal service is needed, but they forgot to do priority boarding for business class in Abu Dhabi. On all 4 flights no priority baggage service. Disaster, and never again!
RouteZurich to Male via Abu Dhabi

"below average experience"

Trip Verified | Flight was 1+ hour late, missed the coach to Dubai. My food was mostly inedible. Seats average nothing special - entertainment average - air hostess with uninspiring service, they don’t seem to like their jobs and asking for additional water attracts hostile stares. Overall a below average experience.
RouteMelbourne to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMarch 2022

"This was the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | This was the worst flight experience I have ever had. The flight left 1.5 hrs late, resulting in me and many other passengers missing our connecting flights in Abu Dhabi. Despite knowing that a large number of people had close connections, Etihad did not hold any flights (although they had announced they would). I waited in a mob scene at the transfer desk for 10 hrs before finally being rebooked on a flight that was not leaving Abu Dhabi for another day-and-a-half. Etihad sent me to a hotel outside of the airport and assured me someone would pick me up the following day 3 hrs before my re-scheduled flight. The promised transport never came, and I ended up having to take a cab back to the airport. When I arrived 2 days late in Muscat, my luggage was missing. Turns out it had never left Abu Dhabi. It took Etihad another 3 days to get the luggage to Muscat, by which time I had moved on to my final destination of Salalah. Etihad refused to send the luggage to me in Salalah because they do not fly there (other airlines do, but throughout this fiasco they would not consider putting either me or my luggage on a different airline). I ended up having to get a friend to pick up the luggage in Muscat and bring it to me Salalah. Worst airline ever.
RouteDublin to Abu Dhabi via Muscat
Date FlownJanuary 2022

"attentive, friendly and professional"

Trip Verified | Flew on the 17 March on flight EY21 and sat in seat 6A. I was warmly greeted on entering the aircraft. The breakfast was the best I've had on a flight, absolutely fabulous. The staff who served me on this flight were Soraya the cabin manager and Rami who were wonderfully attentive, friendly and professional. A real credit to themselves and to the airline. I was overall very impressed by my outstanding experience on this flight. Highly recommended.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Manchester