Emirates

"nickel and diming passengers"

Trip Verified | I traveled from Trivandrum to Dallas via Dubai to visit my 94 year old dad who was in critical condition in the hospital. However, he passed away the night before my flight. I was forced to change my return from November 14 to November 8 as my dad's funeral was on November 5. I had a 20 hour layover in Dubai on my return and Emirates was to provide me hotel and meals in Dubai on my scheduled return date of November 14. However, even though I used the exact same flight combination for my return from TVM to Dubai and Dubai to DFW on November 8, Emirates refused to provide me hotel and meals at Dubai. I had to pay an extra $85 for hotel and approximately $50 for meals. As it is, I paid $1,609.54 originally for the ticket which I thought was overpriced and an additional $375 in penalties and fare difference for changing my return date. I am left wondering whether Emirates is in the business of providing air transportation or of highway robbery. I have traveled on Emirates previously and I definitely got the feeling that not only are they nickel and diming their passengers but their cabin and ground crew at DFW service are much worse than before.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteTrivandrum to Dallas via Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2018

"no refund for cancelled flight"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Odessa to Hanoi via Dubai. I had a very bad experience with Emirates. On 3rd July, 2018 my wife and I took a return flight from Odessa (ODS) to Hanoi ((HAN) via Dubai (DXB); After checked-in, We have waited in long time over boarding time, and then a lady likes a Representative of EK appeared and made a contact with passengers in lounge to announce that flight was delayed more. And in long time waiting that lady appeared again to notice that the incoming flight from DXB landed in Kishinev (Moldova)- KIV and then flew back at ODS in a couple time. We and passengers on this flight have continued to wait. Nearly 02 hours later the lady informed that the incoming flight would flight back to ODS, but crews were over duty time then there would be no outgoing flight to DXB from ODS, it means flight today cancelled. The alternative flight ODS-DXB would be on next day morning, but she didn’t know when! How should I do when I was sure that We missed connecting flight from DXB to HAN? I showed our tickets, mentioned her that our connection flight to Hanoi and asked her what solution would be done for us. I received an answer from her: “I cannot do anything here because there is no computer, no system. I have only telephone!” Even She didn't care on my connection ticket. And she informed that Passenger were provided meals and hotel for that night and would take flight on next day but she didn’t know when! Emirates representative at ODS airport didn’t offer me any alternative protected trip except meals an hotel for that night! No answer, no choice offered by Emirates for me. It’s was terrible and truly that Emirates have set own passengers like me and my wife aside and had no care. Fortunately, there was an flight from ODS to HAN later at 09:30PM by Turkish airlines on the same day. I requested Emirates representative to make endorsement to TK, but She replied that she couldn’t do it. I requested her make a confirmation letter about EK flight cancellation to get refund later. She replied that I could get refund where I bought tickets and there people would know everything in airline system! Finally, I myself had to purchase 02 tickets on TK on the same day to fly back home. Until now nearly 4 months over I contact Emirate many times but no refund for cancelled flight was done!
RouteOdessa to Hanoi via Dubai
Date FlownJuly 2018

"bad service, rude crew"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Male via Dubai. I have never flown Emirates until last October 27 in a holiday trip with my wife to Maldives. Madrid to Male was nothing special: economy seats have average pitch, ICE system works fine and movies selection is huge apparently. Service onboard was quite bad, food was average, flight attendants were rude, the purser spent the whole flight shouting at the crew. They never asked if we wanted more bread or more cafe etc. The flight from Dubai to Male was scheduled at 3:15 am, so we wanted nothing but sleep. Even if we put on all of our "resting stuff" the flight crew woke up us at 5 am for breakfast. She said that she must assure that everyone on board was offered breakfast. On our return flights we found another surprise. As the travel agency gave us the booking reference two months ago I purchased the seats, as the fare the agency took did not allow to choose seats. I paid 140€ for the seats. So far so good until we checked in at Male airport. Our seats were changed with no reason. In both flights (MLE-DXB and DXB-MAD). The handling staff could not tell me any reasonable reason, and the finished with a great "ask Emirates staff when you arrive to Dubai". Great answer from a professional employee. But when I tried to get an explanation at Dubai my luck did not get better: after twenty minutes trying to hold a conversation, one person who supposedly was in charge gave me a piece of paper with a web site written and told me to fill an online claim. Great airline, great staff, great service. Onboard more of the same: bad service, rude crew, poor food and added to my other trip: my entertainment system did not work. Luckily I had my ipad with lots of stuff loaded. This was my first and my last trip with Emirates.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 777
RouteMadrid to Male via Dubai

"mediocre at the best"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Dubai. This was my first time with Emirates and I was expecting much more than this flight delivered. Just going down a short list: I expected better seat comfort, I hoped for more attention from the flight attendants (this was a 14 hour flight with only one visit by a flight attendant in the 14 hrs, that being after they served the meals). There were many, many children and some would not stop crying. The few bathrooms became dirty fast and stayed that way through the flight. Finally, the food was mediocre at the best. So, what I learned on my first Emirates flight is the experience of air travel with them is no better than Delta or American Airlines.
RouteSeattle to Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2018

"crew rushed both services"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Singapore.Took early morning (overnight) flight. Based on my previous positive experiences travelling the same route, I expected more. Although seemingly light load in all cabins, crew rushed both services in a way that suggested they just wanted to get it all over and done with. The result, impersonal service when there was the luxury of time to do much better. Several requests for drinks etc were misunderstood, because it seemed that the crew were making incorrect assumptions about what I wanted, instead of taking the time to ask and listen! Service aside, older style 777 cabin but nonetheless comfortable. Overall, it could’ve been such a better experience if the crew made the effort to deliver a personalised service.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteBrisbane to Singapore

"rudeness of the staff"

Trip Verified | Perth to London via Dubai. My husband and I have been flying with Emirates to London from Perth for many years and had never encountered a problem before, until our latest flight to London, we had a 2 3hour delay. You prepare for you’re flight only to have to return home did not experience good management in Perth about what to do. We were given Taxi fare to get home but the queue was very unorganised - some were getting hotels others cabs but were not directed. Eventually next day we back to Perth airport by now the excitement was gone so then mid flight was told one piece of luggage was left behind and will follow shortly but did not receive till day 3 so had to buy clothes - very disappointed to see it had been cut right across the top so we had to buy a new suitcase. Then on our return to Perth we had pre paid seats only to be told somebody else was in them so we by now we’re most upset, but disappointed at the manner and rudeness of the staff in flight - especially a manager who shrugged and said Oh well bad customer service. We are now going back to Singapore Airlines.
RoutePerth to London via Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"cut back on a few meals"

Not Verified | Washington to Dubai. Flew on Emirates in April 2018. Best flying experience ever. Raved about it to everyone and booked another trip with them 6 months later. Same exact flight just 6 months later. Totally different experience. Service was so-so, they cut back on a few meals, no hot towels to clean your hands (only handy wipes now), no random photographer taking flight photos) They are just like any other airline now.
RouteWashington to Dubai
Date FlownOctober 2018

"left me a bad impression"

Trip Verified | I was travelling Emirates from Stansted to Hong Kong via Dubai, this is the first time I filed with Emirates as I live close to Stansted airport and this is the only route from Stansted to Hong Kong. I was disappointed by my experience. When I booked the ticket thru my travel agent, my seat is always classified as Confirmed as seen by online tracking. So to my very surprise, when I got to the Stansted Airport check in counter 3 hours before my flight departure, the staff at the check in counter told me that I was actually a “stand by” passenger from Dubai to Hong Kong which they could not actually check me in and print my boarding pass, they said I could only confirm my seat when I arrive Dubai and they could do nothing in Stansted. I said to them that my seat status is always written as Confirmed on online tracking and I could not accept such an uncertainty only to find out if I will get a seat to Hong Kong when I arrive Dubai. The staff only explained because the plane was overbooked and I was chosen (randomly?). I had flown numerous airlines in my life, but such thing was never happened, but only with Emirates! Even though with my insistence, the issue was solved and I got a seat at Stansted, this incident already left me a bad impression about this airline. If there is an option, I’d doubt if I will ever fly with Emirates ever again as this experience was no fun at all.
RouteStansted to Hong Kong via Dubai
Date FlownOctober 2018

"The service was excellent"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Dubai. The service was excellent at the Check in counter and also with the Cabin Crew. The cabin crew was concerned about the passenger comfort.
RouteColombo to Dubai
Date FlownOctober 2018

"the last time I fly Emirates"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Rome via Dubai. I have been waiting for longer than months since my flight last July with no response from Emirates all. First I had no idea why Emirates is delayed for 6 hours out of JNB was because of technical issues which caused me to missed my connecting flight to Europe. The IFE on my seat does not work since this is an old plane that I've take and this is unacceptable for me to go without IFE on such a long flight. Upon arrival into Dubai, I was rescheduled to another day with Emirates as the result of the delay flight. I have nowhere to sleep by then. This is unacceptable and a total nightmare for the whole journey. After longer time since I sent a report to Emirates without any answer at all. This is the last time I fly Emirates.
RouteJohannesburg to Rome via Dubai