China Eastern Airlines

"above my expectations"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Rome to Seoul via Shanghai. I traveled with this company that I was a little skeptical of but I must say that not only was it far above my expectations but it earned my esteem. Rome-Shanghai (and back) with a new A350-900, comfortable seats, clean plane and with assistants present and kind. Classic food of the economy class while actually somewhat disappointing on-board entertainment considering that it was a flight departing from Italy was expected titles at least in the Italian language. But where I must congratulate the company is the way they managed the typhoon emergency in Shanghai, I had to take a flight to Seoul and was canceled with the closure of the airport, but the company not only provided escort to the hotel with a shuttle bus but also food and accommodation for two days. Although the information was lacking (it all happened suddenly) have, within 4/5 hours settled thousands of people in the hotel with their transfers. That was really impressive.
AircraftA350-900
RouteRome to Seoul via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Siem Reap via Shanghai. Worst airline ever. Customer service is the worst. On July 25 we were scheduled to fly out of Los Angeles at 1230pm on China Eastern Airline flight 586 to Shanghai; however, the flight was delayed by two hours and we departed at 2:30pm. When we arrived in Shanghai on July 26, our connection flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia, flight number 513, had already left. The China Eastern Airline agent changed our flight and said he would give us two connection flights: the first connection was to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, then to Siem Reap. But, when we arrived to Ho Chi Minh city, the flight to Siem Reap was not booked by the China Eastern Agent; therefore, we had to buty 2 new tickets to Siem Reap. The flight delay from Los Angels to Shanghai was not our fault but the airline’s and were greatly inconvenienced. This was a horrible experience. I called and went to the office. Heard nothing yet.
RouteLos Angeles to Siem Reap via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2019

"They had the cheapest tickets"

Trip Verified | They had the cheapest tickets from Bali to Amsterdam via Shanghai with a layover of 17 hours. (visiting Shanghai is worth it, but bring cash because credit cards won't be accepted). First flight departed before scheduled time and arrived 20 minutes early. Quite new plane Airbus A330 (2 years old) with big screen for in-flight-entertainment. Clean, comfortable and looked luxury even in Economy Class. Staff can improve their hospitality a lot. They only know few English words. Second flight departed 15 minutes later but arrived 1,5 hour earlier. Plane was the modern new Airbus A350-900 (only 6 months old) with again great in-flight-entertainment system. Plane has three camera's outside, so you can watch from your own screen what the pilots are seeing. Again staff can improve a lot. Meals on both flights were good. Expected worse. We arranged when booked a special meal because of gluten intolerance, and this meal was good as well. Also we had WiFi on both flights. Worked good.
AircraftA330-300 / A350-900
RouteDenpasar to Amsterdam via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2019

"no Customer Service for non Chinese"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | We bought a Lisbon to Melbourne flight from Air France, the leg between Shanghai and Melbourne was operated by China Eastern Airlines. First we were unable to check-in for this China Eastern flight online, at the airport and in Paris, while in transit. No one from Air France could help us with this and the explanation was that the systems did not connect between airlines. When we got to Shanghai we were given boarding passes. But it was after this that all the mess started. First the flight was delayed 1 hour, no explanation given. Then the flight was delayed 3 hours. After 4 hours we were board but the plane did not take off. We were stuck in the plane for another hour, and the stewardesses could not explain why. A meal was served in the taxied airplane. We finally left 5 hours delayed, at 1am, and instead of arriving in Melbourne in the morning we got there around midday. Coming back home I tried to complain to Air France, useless, it was not their flight, although sold by them, we had to contact China Eastern. Where? There is no global European site. There were some phone numbers that answered in Chinese, big help for most of the foreigner clients. Finally I got some email from someone saying he was my complain commissioner, asking me for all the documents, which I sent. This was on 19th March. By 29th March he said he had all he needed and they would deal with it. Since then I contacted every month and had no answer back. Resuming, there is no Customer Service at all for non Chinese citizens and buying China Eastern flights in other companies is also a big no no.
RouteShanghai to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2018

"wheel chair assistance not provided"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Brisbane via Shanghai. The requested wheel chair assistance was not provided in New Delhi airport. In Shanghai Airport we got wheel chair after a long wait, the wheel chair assistant was highly impolite and very very rude person, can't expect someone like him working at an international airport where people from different nationalities commute. At the time of boarding at Shanghai airport it was raining heavily and staircase to the aircraft was uncovered causing the passengers to get wet.
RouteDelhi to Brisbane via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2019

"my worst flying experience"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to San Francisco. This was my worst flying experience. On our way to Thailand, our flight was delayed in San Francisco causing us to miss our connecting flight in Shanghai. No big deal we thought, until we got to the ticket counter and the guy working was trying to blame us for missing our flight. I tried explaining that our flight was delayed causing us to arrive late and miss the flight. Never did he say sorry or show any sympathy. I explained to him how we were missing a day in our already paid for resort, an excursion, and our pre paid car. He said 'so what, were getting you free tickets'. No, we already paid and missing this flight was their fault not ours. Whatever, we made it work, rerouted to Bangkok and then Phuket. Lost out on over $400. On our way home, leaving Shanghai our flight was once again delayed. They sent us an email two hours before in Chinese. This once again caused us to miss our connecting flight back home to Denver from San Francisco. I understand things happen, but they showed no sympathy and instead of offering us compensation for our lost time and money, they made us feel uncomfortable the whole time. The extra money to fly with another airline is worth it.
RouteShanghai to San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2019

"tickets were extremely cheap"

Trip Verified | Flew with China Eastern from Gatwick to Bali via Shanghai and back to Heathrow. Flight from Gatwick was poor compared to the flight back to Heathrow. On the return leg the food was good and flight attendants attentive. However, the flight from Gatwick could be much improved. We were served food within an hour of departure and then didn't see the flight attendants again until two hours before we landed; an almost 8 hour absence. No snacks. No water. 8 hours. Flight to Bali on old a330, no entertainment and again, limited FA presence. However, tickets were extremely cheap and so long as you stock up with water and snacks before the flight it is worth travelling with them for the cheap tickets.
RouteGatwick to Shanghai
Date FlownMay 2019

"never fly China Eastern again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Bangkok via Shanghai. I am a physician, normally fly at least 1-2 times/year, for volunteer medical/surgical mission work. I used China Eastern airline for the first time, flying out Jan 30. I had problem at the airport when checking in, which never before in my traveling experience. My passport has printed out my first and middle name in short and not spelled out in full as in ticket. I showed 3 different government issued IDs to identify myself. The counter agent would not issue me a boarding pass and insisted that my traveling agent change my ticket name. When I called the traveling agent, they would take 2 days, and advised me to ask the airline agent at the airport to do that for me. However, the airport agent and her supervisor refused to help me at all. They were extremely rude to me, literally man-handled me to step aside so they can help other customer. I stood there for over 1 hr. Finally, I asked my traveling agent to book me with the different airline at the same day or tomorrow flight. When I asked the supervisor to do in writing that they refused to issue me my boarding pass and the reason, she came out later and told me that she can now help me correct the name on ticket to be exactly same as the passport. The aircraft was quite old, not a lot of comforting equipment. WiFi was not working, and when asked the flight attendant, she said will let me know when function return, but she never told me for the rest of 14 hr flight. Flight attendant never once ask what I need during the entire flight, I had to press call button and wait for 30 min each time I need something. In conclusion, the service was worst than economy class, despite being business class. On the way returning from Bangkok, I did not have any problem at the counter at all, although took extra 15 min to check in due to my name on passport again. The food was also just tasted like coming from a vending machine. Even though the ticket in business class is $1,000 cheaper than other airline, I will never fly with China Eastern again. Furthermore, my brand new luggage was completely destroyed
RouteChicago to Bangkok via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"bus to and from the aircraft"

(China)

Trip Verified | This is a generic review for China Eastern. As usual, I need to add 30-49 minutes on each keg at both each airport because Chiba Eastern is too cheap to pay for an actual gate. 85% of the time when flying on MU you will need to take a bus to and from the aircraft which causes so many additional delays.
RouteSingapore to Shanghai via Dalian

"would never use again"

Trip Verified | Cebu to Chicago via Shanghai. This was the worst flight I have ever flown. The staff was not very friendly. The food was terrible, and this has been the only airline that didn't have me verify your food choices before the flight. I was told that I needed to have done that before somehow (never has this happen before), this meant they didn't have anything vegetarian to eat unless ordered before. There was only one food option for the other people and again never had a flight with only one option. Staff did dig up a couple small things like a fruit cup, donut etc which was greatly appreciated for the 14 hour flight. Hugely dissatisfied with this flight experience and would never use again.
RouteCebu to Chicago via Shanghai