China Eastern Airlines

"recommend for the cheap price"

Trip Verified | I flew with China Eastern Airline from Sydney to Frankfurt with a stopover in Shanghai. Both flights were on time. Crew was nice in both flights, they checked properly the safety things. Food was even alright. I can recommend the airline for the cheap price.
RouteSydney to Frankfurt via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"has no customer service"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Shanghai. Outbound flight was ok. Inbound flight was ok until I arrived at LAX. I found that my luggage was damaged. The problem with this Airline is, when you call 1855-589-5530, you will get the worst customer service experience ever. It's so bad that it supercede the entire experience you had during the flight, and this will make you decide not to book with this airline again. First, when you call this number, 50% chances you will get busy single. Second, when the line finally went thru, you will have at least 30 minutes wait time. Third when you get to someone who finally talk to you, the rep is not helpful and will tell you something like "I can't help with anything, you need to go to website and file the claim" or "I can't wait on the phone you need to hurry up". Keep in mind that I wait 30 mins+ before I get to the rep. Finally when I went on the website to file the claim about damage luggage, I got nothing. No email confirmation, no response, no nothing, It's been 2 weeks and I have not heard from anyone from China Eastern. It's just like my complete went disappear in cyber space. It's obviously that this airline has no customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"level of poor care"

Trip Verified | Krabi to Vancouver via Shanghai . While in Thailand, I was in a bad scooter accident which caused significant injuries to my lower left leg. My employment provides me with Great west life insurance. (GWL) GWL has arranged for my new flight itinerary which included a nurse for my care. The arrival at Shanghai airport. The plane landed and parked on the tarmac. All passengers were ferried from the tarmac to the airport building by bus. I was told there was no wheelchair for me. GWL had pre-arranged this detail with the purchase of the tickets. The flight crew had me walk with crutches to a ramp which lowered me to the tarmac. It was pouring rain and I was offered no cover while I was left there to wait for any assistance. I was very unstable due to having to stand for that period. Finally, a ground crew staff member (Porter) arrived with a child’s wheelchair, I barely fit into it. I was wheeled to the airport building. The ground crew worker was yelling at me the whole way to the building saying this was not his job and that I would have to find someone else to help me when we got to the building. The porter took me without care, he was walking very fast, over bumps and narrowly missing other people. I was told to remove myself from the wheelchair and was placed in a office chair with wheels at the entrance doors. I was soaking wet and shivering at that point. I was left there, with no help. My husband began asking the cabin crew staff for assistance. Every single crew member from our flight just looked at me, some of them pointed and laughed at me, but everyone of them just walked away without care. My husband wheeled me on the office chair away from the entrance door, as I was soaking wet from being left on the tarmac in the rain. The temperature was roughly 7 degrees. My husband made several attempts to get help from any and all China Eastern staff members with no luck. Finally, after another 40 minutes, my frustrated husband went upstairs to find anyone to help me. My husband arrived 30 minutes later with a China Eastern staff member. This gentleman took me through customs, he took me to the front of the line bypassing roughly 450 people. The female customs agent started yelling at the porter who was helping me. They yelled at each other for about 15 minutes when the female agent got up and walked away and never returned, leaving only two customs agents to deal with the roughly 450 people. 20 minutes went by and a man came to take the female agents spot. Eventually we were passed through customs. We got to the security section. The same level of poor care occurred while attempting to board our connecting flight. Rude, verbally and physically abusive.
RouteKrabi to Vancouver via Shanghai

"Awful experience"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Kathmandu via Nanjing, Kunming. Awful experience with this airline - their flight combinations seem to be purposefully set so that they are just over the 24hr limit for a transit visa (most are 24.5 hours, how does that not look suspicious?). I was denied boarding/check-in due to my transit time in China being too long, despite looking into it, and the Chinese Embassy website and airline websites being very deceiving and unclear about this. My understanding was I could get a 72-hour transit visa given my transit cities, and nowhere does it explicitly say you can't have multiple cities to get a 72-hour transit visa, only one, so I was declined from boarding and lost hundreds of dollars to this airline. It seems they purposefully set you up for failure with *just barely* too long transit times in China - can't even imagine how much money they must make from setting people up for this mistake, and I did my research, but even the embassy website is unclear. They are completely unhelpful and impossible to understand if you call in. Half of the time they didn't pick up, and otherwise, they are completely unhelpful and rude if they do pick up at any of the support numbers (although some were out of service since 2017). If you don't speak Chinese, there's even less hope. Flight prices definitely reflect the service., but after traveling around the world, I have never been met with such ridiculously awful service from an airline. So disappointed and frustrated - this shouldn't be allowed to gOuge customers due to them offering flights with transit time just barely too long - but at the end of the day, the finger is strategically pointed at the customer and they make thousands of extra dollars in cancellation and rebooking fees. Completely unacceptable.
RouteVancouver to Kathmandu via Nanjing, Kunming
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"missing items from my baggage"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Delhi via Shanghai. Worst experience ever, first delayed baggage then missing items from my baggage. Locks got changed and the staff have no clue how this happened. I feel there is improvement needed in communication gap. I wish I could talk to someone who can at least understand English. Tickets are cheap and so is the service. I would never ever recommend this airline to anyone. Claim department is useless doesn’t even cooperate since, all they care if I knew Chinese.
RouteVancouver to Delhi via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"is way behind competitors"

(China)

Not Verified | I did a round-trip from Shanghai to New York. My experience was mixed. The flights left on-time and arrived early, the cabins were clean on both flights. However, I didn't like the 10 abreast configuration of a 777, which is very cramped. Secondly, I found it very poor for an airline like this to run out of beer 2 hours into a 14 hour flight. The cabin crew aren't particularly attentive or focused. The food wasn't great for an international airline. The entertainment provided limited options of music, TV and films. Finally, the airline advertises free wifi, but it almost never works, which was disappointing. Overall, while not a disastrous experience, China Eastern is way behind competitors like Emirates, KLM, Qatar, Singapore Airlines, Garuda and Cathay Pacific in terms of its service standards.
RouteShanghai to New York

"Very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Beijing via Shanghai. Very pleasant flight with China Eastern from Auckland to Beijing via Shanghai. This was the third flight with China Eastern on a return trip from Europe to NZ via Beijing. Phoned the airline weeks before the trip to make sure all our seats were together. That worked perfectly. All our flights were on time. The crew were polite, very efficient and attentive on all flights. The food on Auckland flights was lovely. Sometimes they didn't have our first preference but the alternative was very tasty. The seats were comfortable and had a good recline. The inflight entertainment was good with large responsive touch screens. There was a fine selection of recent release movies and other programmes. All the seats had usb charging ports but as expected, the free inflight wifi didn't function. Would definitely recommend and fly again.
RouteAuckland to Beijing via Shanghai

"staff has no respect"

Trip Verified | New York to Shanghai. Food is disgusting and staff has no respect for passengers. I asked whether the meal served had ingredients I am allergic to, and the reply was “we don’t know, just try it”. I am allergic, how can I try something and have a reaction on a 14 hours flight! Tried to ask for something different and the answer was just: no, we don’t have anything else. Once in China, my luggage arrived 4 days later and I was left without assistance and clothes in the northern Chinese winter. I was told no information about the whereabouts of my bag, despite calling them many times every day. In the end, they sent my bag to an airport near where I was staying in China, and had to go to the airport at my own expense to pick up my bag. Asking for compensation for this is nearly impossible, as they do not provide means of communicating to them and never pick up at any hotline.
RouteNew York to Shanghai
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"the flight was very nice"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Brisbane. Overall the flight was very nice. Unfortunately bus boarding. China eastern do scan your boarding passes on the tarmac, which is a bit uncomfortable, considering the temperature outside in winter night. Seat pitch was ok. Meal was average, same for IFE. Flight attendants were OK.
AircraftA330-200
RouteShanghai to Brisbane
Date FlownDecember 2018

"terrible service"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Chicago. I was in need of a wheel chair and when I arrive in Shanghai there was no wheel chair, they told us we would get off on the tarmac and a bus would come pick us up. The food was cold I gave it back to the flight stewardess they were very rude wouldn’t smile, terrible service definitely not accommodating. They seem like they really don’t care about you as a passenger.
RouteShanghai to Chicago