China Eastern Airlines

"Rude staff. Poor service"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Vancouver via Shanghai. Ever get that feeling when you realize that you are a fool for making a certain purchase? That's China Eastern Airlines. Horrible food. Rude staff. Poor service. Uncomfortable Seats. It's like they take pride in giving awful service. The only good thing I can say is the seats were cheap but having said that, you will get much better value paying more for any other airline.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Vancouver via Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"flight delayed due to weather"

(China)

Trip Verified | Shenyang to Shanghai. I was scheduled to fly to Shanghai on 9.6 at 1:15pm. The airline informed us that our flight was delayed due to weather (typhoon Lingling). We didn’t get on board until 2:30pm. After getting on board, the captain announced that we didn’t get permission to take off from PVG due to weather issue. However, there were 4 other flights to PVG scheduled to take off between 12:00pm and 3:00pm, all of which were able to take off before 4pm, including one flight with Shanghai airline, which is owned by China eastern. I would have no problem with being delayed. However, flights scheduled to take off before and after our flight were able to take off, and some even took off right after the announcement from the captain. I am questioning the real reason that we are getting delayed. Also the in flight meal is plain as usual.
RouteShenyang to Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"The worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Shanghai. The worst airline ever, the customer service is very, very bad, they cancel flights as they like, and often they sell your seat in the plane to someone else and they tell you that you are late for the flight and the plane is then at the airport, the worst thing I've ever met was Shanghai Airport. Neither respect the mother nor the child. They keep us in China for five days with my twin children without apologizing.
RouteLos Angeles to Shanghai

"not that good"

Trip Verified | Wuhan to Taiyuan. The experience was not that good. It is a mid-night red eye flight, however, the cabin is so noisy and none of cabin crew come out to maintain the order. The snack means just a pack of peanuts.
RouteWuhan to Taiyuan

"Dreadful service!"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Paris via Shanghai. Airplanes are relatively new but the maintenance on board is low. Broken USB charging plugs, broken remote control for the entertainment system, broken headphones jack, broken lock in the lavatory etc. It is worse especially due to the fact Chinese airlines do not allow you to use power-banks onboard. Means you can't use your phone as an alternative for long. Another part is the service, China Eastern provides very basic service, not to say rough. It is all very technical without any understanding of what service means. Don't expect a smile or nice gesture, you won't get it. One lovely thing is the free WIFI access on the flight, but it is so restricted to western site that you can forget about Google, Facebook, VoIP, most messaging apps, Yahoo search etc. Eventually, when I arrived at my destination, I've noticed major damage to my suitcase. I've reported the damage, filled up a form, send several emails etc, 3 months passed and I haven't got any compensation yet. China Eastern doesn't answer online, they don't respond on Facebook, on their website or to emails. They are practically not there. Dreadful service!
RouteAuckland to Paris via Shanghai
Date FlownMay 2019

"above my expectations"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Rome to Seoul via Shanghai. I traveled with this company that I was a little skeptical of but I must say that not only was it far above my expectations but it earned my esteem. Rome-Shanghai (and back) with a new A350-900, comfortable seats, clean plane and with assistants present and kind. Classic food of the economy class while actually somewhat disappointing on-board entertainment considering that it was a flight departing from Italy was expected titles at least in the Italian language. But where I must congratulate the company is the way they managed the typhoon emergency in Shanghai, I had to take a flight to Seoul and was canceled with the closure of the airport, but the company not only provided escort to the hotel with a shuttle bus but also food and accommodation for two days. Although the information was lacking (it all happened suddenly) have, within 4/5 hours settled thousands of people in the hotel with their transfers. That was really impressive.
AircraftA350-900
RouteRome to Seoul via Shanghai

"Worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Siem Reap via Shanghai. Worst airline ever. Customer service is the worst. On July 25 we were scheduled to fly out of Los Angeles at 1230pm on China Eastern Airline flight 586 to Shanghai; however, the flight was delayed by two hours and we departed at 2:30pm. When we arrived in Shanghai on July 26, our connection flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia, flight number 513, had already left. The China Eastern Airline agent changed our flight and said he would give us two connection flights: the first connection was to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, then to Siem Reap. But, when we arrived to Ho Chi Minh city, the flight to Siem Reap was not booked by the China Eastern Agent; therefore, we had to buty 2 new tickets to Siem Reap. The flight delay from Los Angels to Shanghai was not our fault but the airline’s and were greatly inconvenienced. This was a horrible experience. I called and went to the office. Heard nothing yet.
RouteLos Angeles to Siem Reap via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2019

"They had the cheapest tickets"

Trip Verified | They had the cheapest tickets from Bali to Amsterdam via Shanghai with a layover of 17 hours. (visiting Shanghai is worth it, but bring cash because credit cards won't be accepted). First flight departed before scheduled time and arrived 20 minutes early. Quite new plane Airbus A330 (2 years old) with big screen for in-flight-entertainment. Clean, comfortable and looked luxury even in Economy Class. Staff can improve their hospitality a lot. They only know few English words. Second flight departed 15 minutes later but arrived 1,5 hour earlier. Plane was the modern new Airbus A350-900 (only 6 months old) with again great in-flight-entertainment system. Plane has three camera's outside, so you can watch from your own screen what the pilots are seeing. Again staff can improve a lot. Meals on both flights were good. Expected worse. We arranged when booked a special meal because of gluten intolerance, and this meal was good as well. Also we had WiFi on both flights. Worked good.
AircraftA330-300 / A350-900
RouteDenpasar to Amsterdam via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2019

"no Customer Service for non Chinese"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | We bought a Lisbon to Melbourne flight from Air France, the leg between Shanghai and Melbourne was operated by China Eastern Airlines. First we were unable to check-in for this China Eastern flight online, at the airport and in Paris, while in transit. No one from Air France could help us with this and the explanation was that the systems did not connect between airlines. When we got to Shanghai we were given boarding passes. But it was after this that all the mess started. First the flight was delayed 1 hour, no explanation given. Then the flight was delayed 3 hours. After 4 hours we were board but the plane did not take off. We were stuck in the plane for another hour, and the stewardesses could not explain why. A meal was served in the taxied airplane. We finally left 5 hours delayed, at 1am, and instead of arriving in Melbourne in the morning we got there around midday. Coming back home I tried to complain to Air France, useless, it was not their flight, although sold by them, we had to contact China Eastern. Where? There is no global European site. There were some phone numbers that answered in Chinese, big help for most of the foreigner clients. Finally I got some email from someone saying he was my complain commissioner, asking me for all the documents, which I sent. This was on 19th March. By 29th March he said he had all he needed and they would deal with it. Since then I contacted every month and had no answer back. Resuming, there is no Customer Service at all for non Chinese citizens and buying China Eastern flights in other companies is also a big no no.
RouteShanghai to Melbourne
Date FlownDecember 2018

"wheel chair assistance not provided"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Brisbane via Shanghai. The requested wheel chair assistance was not provided in New Delhi airport. In Shanghai Airport we got wheel chair after a long wait, the wheel chair assistant was highly impolite and very very rude person, can't expect someone like him working at an international airport where people from different nationalities commute. At the time of boarding at Shanghai airport it was raining heavily and staircase to the aircraft was uncovered causing the passengers to get wet.
RouteDelhi to Brisbane via Shanghai