China Eastern Airlines

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Sydney. Absolutely rude staff at the check in. We were travelling as a couple and were given two seperate seats 30 rows apart. We asked staff to see if they could reunite us given that my wife was pregnant and I couldn't leave her alone for the duration of the flight. Staff were very reluctant to help and had a very aggressive and rude attitude towards us. It looked like staff were not expecting such a simple request and were looking at us as if we were criminals for making such a request! Very bad experience with this airline. In-flight service was mediocre and very basic.
RouteShanghai to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2019

"friendly, helpful cabin crew"

Trip Verified | SYD-PVG then AMS-PVG and PVG-SYD (three long-haul flights) over Feb and March. Each flight left and arrived as scheduled and was a pleasant experience with friendly, helpful cabin crew. Meal options (4) were each very tasty (especially the Asian options) and alcohol generously served throughout the flight. An assortment of self-serve snacks were available between meals. The lie-flat beds were a little tight around the feet, and the cabin a little warm for a perfect sleep on the three overnight flights but nevertheless a reasonable number of hours of Z's were achieved. If requested, the crew will leave you asleep and not wake you for meals. IFE had a reasonable selection of recent release and an assortment of foreign films. Not the greatest in the world, but OK for the average 10 hour sectors. The spoken English standard of the crew was variable, but communication overall was not a problem either in the air or at check-in.
RouteAmsterdam to Sydney via Shanghai
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"scary and costly experience"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Shanghai. 48 hrs into our hazardous experience trying to get home, I wish I had known about China Eastern Airlines. My husband and I arrived in Kuala Lumpur on April 18th around midnight to catch a connecting flight on our way home from vacation (leaving Borneo headed for Reno, NV). Our connecting flight was to leave approx 2am. I was held up because my ticket said Jill Hansen and my passport said Jill A Hansen. No amount of common sense would apply. No matter how many countries or check points I had crossed. Nor would China Eastern change the name on my ticket per my authorization. They insisted Malaysia Airlines needed to make the change. My husband requested by phone that Malaysia Airlines make the change and they refused saying China Eastern could make the change. We were effectively trapped in the Kuala Lumpur airport. Also China Eastern said we had missed the connecting flight much earlier (anyway) as their flights close one hour prior to take off? We found that quite unusual, but the front staff supervisor insisted this was accurate. China Eastern staff also assured us all flights were booked the next day. We could not understand what was happening and grew very frightened of this company and their staff. We called another airline, Cathay Pacific and booked a flight out. It cost us $2400. We were not alone. Several other families were being trapped under the same ruse. We escaped, but a warning needs to go out to US travelers. It is very scary and costly experience. Please start communicating this. I’m still not home after almost 3 days of travel, but wanted to share this story. When we asked them to provide a letter or some documentation on our missed flight and the reason we were not allowed on the plane, they directed us to an office on another floor. They assured us someone would be there to assist us. We hiked to this office only to find a dark hall and a locked door.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2019

"Total chaos at check-in"

(China)

Not Verified | Shanghai to Melbourne. MU737 on 19th April 2019. Total chaos at check-in. Ground staff was not able to manage the queues. Arrived at checkin gate 2.5 hours prior to departure, almost missed the flight
RouteShanghai to Melbourne

"uncomfortable and unpleasant"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Yangon to New Zealand via Kunming. Do not fly to NZ on this airline. You have to get de-embark and reembark in China and Sydney, luggage and all. China is a terrible place to fly through, rude, officious, uncomfortable and unpleasant.
RouteYangon to New Zealand via Kunming
Date FlownApril 2019

"never choose this airline again"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Kunming to Shenzhen. My wife and I went up to Check-in Counter E36 at about 7:15 am on 2 April, about 3 hours before the time of our flight --- fortunately. After checking our China permits and HKSAR passports, the lady told us that the reservation list did contain our names. But the corresponding numbers for our names are totally different from our permit/passport numbers. So she couldn't give us the plane tickets, even though we had paid for them on-line at Expedia website. At first, she did not want to help us at all. Then we insisted to see her supervisor. Shortly afterwards, a man came and simply told us the problem was with Expedia and not with the airline, that we should call Expedia and asked them to change the numbers for our names accordingly. After more arguments, he asked the lady at Counter E36 to help us. She took us to another counter where many more phone calls were made. Finally, they fixed the problem and gave us the tickets. The whole fuss went on for about 45 minutes and at the end we were not given any explanation for the problem. Nor was any apology given. They kept insisting that the problem was ours and the airline was not responsible for the mistake. During all my trips, I never experienced anything like that. I will never choose this airline again.
RouteKunming to Shenzhen

"most unprofessional experience"

Not Verified | Paris to Sydney via Shanghai. By far, the rudest and most unprofessional experience I have ever encountered with airline and customs staff! I used the bathroom when we boarded the plane, only to find that the toilet was dirty and there was no hand soap to use! This was before take-off on an 10-12 hour international flight. The staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. I have no idea how or why they are even in this industry at all. When my partner politely asked for a glass of water, the air hostess rolled her eyes at him, let out a huge sigh and pulled a face like it was the most inconvenient thing to be asked. Another hostess had an almost identical reaction when a woman asked for another blanket. The food was reminiscent of the really old, bad airline food of yesteryear. Also, the food was very few and far between. We went 8 hours without food at one stage. I asked for a snack at this point, & was told there were no snacks or anything to offer. Before the first trolley run of drinks even reached our row, all wine and beer on the plane had ran out. This was less than 1 hour into a 10-12 hour international flight. How can they run out of beer & wine?? When I asked this, the hostess held up 1 single bottle of red wine & said “it’s gone” and then kept pushing the trolley by us. We were shocked. The earphones provided allow zero sound to come through from the movie, so we didn’t end up watching anything at all, because it was impossible to hear any sound. The airport staff at customs were extremely rude and unhelpful also. When I tried to ask questions, I was ignored. My partner had to get angry and insistent before anyone would Listen or assist us. I had one female customs staff member scowl at me the entire time I stood in front of her. The other 2 females on the customs gate sat on their mobile phones whist the info was loading on their computers and then again between passengers. I strongly advise Westerners not to bother with this company and just pay the extra for an airline that will be respectful of all people and cultures, and also one that adheres to general hygiene standards and customer service standards.
AircraftA330-243
RouteParis to Sydney via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Flights were all delayed"

Not Verified | Chicago to Singapore via Shanghai. Flights were all delayed. Internet never worked. Even with in-flight staff giving assistance (restart your computer) it wouldn't work. Entertainment is old. Food is small and bad. I took a picture of one of my 'sandwiches'. It was 6" bun with 2" x 2" of bologna. It was all dry bread. Their idea of a sandwich is a small loaf of dry bread. Not one of the in-flight crew were polite or smiled. Seems that the Government run airline must not treat staff well since none of them smiled or provided much service. They were going through the motion but nothing positive.
RouteChicago to Singapore via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"how brutal this airline is"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Cebu via Shanghai. China Eastern is the worst airline I have ever flown. Their customer service is horrendous and when I asked to speak with a manager I was told their isn't one and they hung up on me. My issue was never dealt with and I never heard back from them after multiple attempts of trying to reach someone. If you find a cheap flight with China Eastern it is not worth it. I suggest paying a little more and flying a better airline. Not only was the customer service brutal the flight itself was as well. My friend and I paid for seats together, yes bought the seating option and then when we checked in they did not have our seats together and couldn't make it so. I'd ask for my money back on that but I know I'll never hear from anyone. The flight was so so so cold. The entire 12 hour flight was absolutely freezing. I had to cover my face with a blanket and not let any skin be exposed that's how cold it was. This might sound dramatic but it's actually how cold it was on the flight. So uncomfortable and unable to sleep because of the temperature I don't understand how this was happening. People were completely covered up and wearing massive winter coats. The flight attendants allowed children to just run around and swap seats with each other all around us through out the entire 12 hours and when I asked for earplugs they gave me headphones and told me I could listen to music. I'm sure they must offer first class passengers ear plugs but because I was economy I couldn't have them. The food was so disgusting. So much wasted food because most people didn't eat it. I can not stress enough how brutal this airline is and how much they don't care about their customers. Do not fly China Eastern.
RouteVancouver to Cebu via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2019

"recommend for the cheap price"

Trip Verified | I flew with China Eastern Airline from Sydney to Frankfurt with a stopover in Shanghai. Both flights were on time. Crew was nice in both flights, they checked properly the safety things. Food was even alright. I can recommend the airline for the cheap price.
RouteSydney to Frankfurt via Shanghai