China Eastern Airlines

"airline was a total failure

Not Verified | Sydney to Madrid via Shanghai. The airline was a total failure. The staff were rude and not helpful at all. My flight was seriously delayed because of typhoon and I didn't catch the connecting flight and they refused to arrange me to a flight with their code-share partners. They told me that they did not care even if I complained to their corresponding department. On my way flying back, my boarding passes could not be printed out because of some reasons I didn't know. The check-in staff called me a trouble-maker. They were very impatient and rude.
RouteSydney to Madrid via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"price was a winner"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Shanghai. First trip with China Eastern in Business Class. Easy Check in, polite, friendly. Through the security line with out issue. MU uses Air France's Lounge at Chicago. Nothing special and gets a bit crowded, but all the same simplistic at best. Boarding was efficient. Business Class passengers had to make their way through the crowd, but once at the front, smooth and acceptable. Had seat 7L. Escorted to the seat with a warm welcome. Seat was spacious and roomy compared to American's 787 on the same route. Flight attendants went out of their way to be pleasant, spoke English well and the friendly service was on par with Cathay Pacific. There is a small business section with rows 6/7 behind First Class and eh galley, before getting to the main part of the business cabin. Take one of these seats! Movie selection was limited, but there were enough shows to help pass the time. Food was very good. Soup quite tasty and was offered seconds. Great Cheese Board with 5 selections, as well as Ice Cream and the normal other items. Seat was a bit hard, but was able to move around easily. For the price it was a winner of a flight. Give it a try and expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised
AircraftBoring 777-300
RouteChicago to Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2018

"missed the check in time"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Hong Kong. I missed the official check in time for flight MU505 to Hong Kong by 3 minutes, which I admit is my fault, but given that a typhoon just hit and raining outside, not much empathy or sympathy by the staff. Without luggage to check in, I had plenty of time to clear customs, security, order a coffee and probably wait another 20 minutes at the gate before boarding starts. Instead the counter rep just says I've missed my flight without suggesting alternatives like "Let me put you on the next flight or something." He directed me to 2 separate other counters for no reason then says I have to purchase a new ticket at a premium to change to later flight. Later I found out this was not necessary after I paid. Tried to find the on shift manager and he questioned me by saying if I had bought the ticket at a China Eastern ticketing counter as if I went to the wrong place. As someone from Chinese descent and living in Hong Kong, I wish I could proudly say there's a world class airline from China. Clearly, China Eastern is not currently nor will be one anytime soon. China Eastern Airlines have not only not improved it services but have regressed to an airline not deserving of the privilege to operate.
RouteShanghai to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | eanAmsterdam to Kuala Lumpur via Shanghai. Horrible customer service. They delayed our luggage. We were put on standby, but we got our tickets. So we took the planned flights. Arrived in Kuala Lumpur, they delayed our luggage. And nobody is responding, though email, website, phone and even nobody at the office! They say that we arrived to late at the gate, which is incorrect. We were there in time, straight after we dropped off our luggage.
RouteAmsterdam to Kuala Lumpur via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the airline is cutting cost"

Trip Verified | I took China Eastern airlines flight from Shanghai to Singapore which departed at 0005am on 18th July 2018, on a business class, the seat was spacious, the meal on board was a disaster, the dim sum basket I ordered was so poor presentation and so little, I requested some champagne during my meal period, but only half glass champagne served, there was no refill offered. I believe that the airline is cutting cost. Ground staff was robotic, cabin crews were friendly on board.
RouteShanghai to Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2018

"not use this company anymore"

Trip Verified | Paris to Shanghai. The flight was on time and the flight crew friendly. Nonetheless I have negative points: the screens were put into service long after takeoff and we were told to remove our headphones long before landing, the meal was average and the amount Insufficient, the bread served after the meal, the wine was served in the bottle 0, 75cl and poor quality and finally my luggage did not arrive at destination. I travel very often but will not use this company anymore.
RouteParis to Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2018

"value for the price paid"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Manila via Shanghai. China Eastern offers a good business class product on the Boeing 777. The seats were lie flat and the in-flight entertainment was good but limited with the selection of movies. I took all Chinese offering for the meals and they were excellent. My Advice is to stick with the Chinese options do not go for western selection which is limited as the majority of passengers are Chinese one should follow the locals for meals. The cabin crew in Business class has one or two people who speak English. Seats are very comfortable I was able to sleep for 6 to 8 hours going to Shanghai. The bad is Shanghai as the new terminal is not open so all incoming China Eastern flights park at the new terminal then you get bused to current terminal. No issue with doing the transit it is simple just follow the signs and complete it with the electronic machines that read your passport and boarding card. Then off to the Business class security line which is where you may have to wait 10 to 15 minutes. Finally the last flight to Manila was great on a smaller Airbus A321. The seats were good and the dinner offered was either Chinese or Western. Again stick with the Chinese option. I saw one western guy take the western option which he did not eat and asked for the Chinese option after. Great value for the price paid plus the Sky miles earned.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2018

"I was pleasantly surprised"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to New York via Shanghai. I was hesitant to fly China Eastern because of the bad reviews I’ve read. But the fare was a bargain so I took the risk, and I was pleasantly surprised. Although the IFE was limited, there were enough good films that kept me entertained for 15 hours. Food was okay. The cabin crew were friendly and accomodating despite the language barrier. I would fly China Eastern again.
RouteManila to New York via Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2018

"No updates and no service"

Trip Verified | 2nd time this week flown with Eastern and the usual no communications service given. 1 hour delay then sat in plane for an hour then deplaned and waited at gate for a new plane for hours. No updates and no service. This flight was booked about 12 weeks ago and they have moved the departure day twice. Chinese airlines are new to planes and they cant treat their customers like they do in a domestic sales situation. I trade out of hundreds of factories in China and most have a one sale attitude and dont understand they should treat customers well to keep reciprocal trade. Eastern still has that mindset but international customers won't tolerate flight changes, late service and lack of communications. Get your act together!
RouteShanghai to Brisbane
Date FlownJune 2018

"missed my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Shanghai was delayed by 2 hours and I missed my connecting flight to Osaka as a result. China Eastern put me overnight in a hotel and provided a shuttle bus to and from the hotel. The hotel provided dinner and breakfast on the following day. The airline provided 2 meals and a snack on the SFO - PVG flight. The food onboard and inflight entertainment are okay. The free Wi-Fi onboard is alright, but not many websites and apps can be browsed due to restrictions. I appreciated the airline putting me up in a hotel, rather than spend the night at Pudong airport.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A321