British Airways

"no refund or voucher"

Not Verified | I booked my honeymoon flight from San Diego to Barcelona in September 2020. I have since needed to cancel this flight due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of travel, especially to other countries. I was able to change my flight at no cost, which is great. However, this is my honeymoon and I paid in advance for seats to ensure I sat next to my would be wife. This was more than $1,000 in additional cost. The response I received from British Airways is that it does not matter the reason, unless they cancel the flight, no refund or voucher is available. I then asked if I wanted to make sure I sat next to my would be wife, they expected me to pay again? The answer was yes. I'm very disappointed in the response from them during a global pandemic, where travel is not safe and we have no idea when it will be safe again.
RouteSan Diego to Barcelona via London
Date FlownDecember 2019

"withholding my money"

Trip Verified | This company is withholding my money after cancelling my flight due to the pandemic and have issued me a voucher. Even though I called to explain why a voucher is useless since we are under a travel bane. Initially, they had said no refunds, the only thing to do was get a voucher. After we had ordered they announce you can get refund if flight is cancelled and you don’t have voucher.
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownMay 2020

"all about money with them"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to London. 12 hours without anything to eat because the sandwich I was given was inedible. There was no bar service and soft drinks were pitiful with orange running out after a matter of hours. Total waste of money having paid for Premium Economy. I am aware it was the beginning of the Covid19 issues but the situation was appalling and has been made worse by a total lack of follow up service from British Airways. Their attitude is unacceptable - it is all about money with them.
RouteTokyo to London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"arrived 3 hrs 25 mins late"

Trip Verified | Flight BA 282 on 11 February was delayed 173 mins due to mechanical in London and so I misconnected at London Heathrow and arrived 3 hrs 25 mins late. I requested compensation and was refused - for three e-mails they told me my flight to London was delayed 173 mins (under the 180 mins floor) and I continued to reply that I did not fly to London but to Paris and arrived 205 mins late. Then they started writing that I was able to make my original connexion which is untrue. I don't know whether to fault their greed at persisting in this lie or their incompetence.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris via London
Date FlownMarch 2020

"it definitely lived up to my expectations"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Toronto. My wife and I used Avios and the BA Amex companion voucher to get a very good deal to fly business class on our holiday. I was also excited to fly on an A350 for the first time and it definitely lived up to my expectations. The breakfast buffet in the BA lounge in Heathrow T5 was okay not amazing and there was a good range of drinks and comfortable settees. The aircraft felt very clean and fresh and had good mood lighting, very comfortable spacious seats and large high-resolution IFE screens. I like the moving map but my wife opted for the movies and was impressed with the selection available. We both enjoyed the food and wines on board and it was a professional and friendly service from the cabin crew. The A350 is a lot quieter than older aircraft like the 747 and 777.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"cabin crew were friendly and professional"

Trip Verified | My wife and I used Avios and my BA Amex companion voucher to get a very good deal for business class flights to our holiday before the coronavirus lockdown was on the horizon. The check-in and security were very efficient and the lounge (not belonging to BA) was clean but had a more limited range of food than I would have expected. Boarding was very quick and cabin crew were friendly and professional. I am a big fan of the iconic 747 but we flew out on one of BA's new A350's and this brought home to me that the 747 business class is looking tired and old in comparison. The seats were comfortable and the food was good but small and very low quality IFE screen was behind the times. However, it was a night flight so I slept most of the journey except when there was moderate turbulence caused by strong tail-winds.
RouteLas Vegas to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"never use this airline again"

Trip Verified | I flew with BA recently from Sydney to London, deciding to return back home from travelling due to the coronavirus situation. The first ticket I booked with them was via Hong Kong. After booking, HK closed it's borders so I could no longer get this flight. I rang up BA who advised that the HK flight was not yet cancelled on the system so they couldn't yet book me onto a new flight yet. The customer service agent assured me he would ring me back at 11am the next day as it would be cancelled on the system by then and he would tell me what flight BA would be putting me on as a replacement. 11am came and went the next day and I had not received a phone call. I tried ringing to find out what was going on and was on hold for 5 hours and still no one answered! I decided to book myself onto another flight as there were hardly any left available and I didn't want to end up stuck in Australia. I had not received the promised phone call or even an email to tell me what my replacement flight would be so felt I had no other choice. When I got back home I raised this with BA. They told me that I was supposed to process an 'involuntary change' to get a replacement flight - that is not what the customer agent advised me! I'd never even heard that term before. He simply said BA would sort it out and put me on a replacement flight, he didn't say I had to do anything. So now because I was given the incorrect advice, I am out of pocket by a considerable amount. I raised it with the BA complaints team that I had been advised incorrectly and if I had been told I needed to do an involuntary change myself I would have done so. They were extremely unhelpful and just said that they don't know why I was advised incorrectly and there is nothing they can do about it. When I said that wasn't good enough they basically just fobbed me off and told me to go to a third party adjudicator if I wanted but they were not prepared to do anything. I will never use this airline again.
RouteSydney to London via Singapore
Date FlownMarch 2020

"avoid BA as much as possible"

Trip Verified | During the time of Covid-19 it is normal, that a airline has to cancel their flight. I’m ok with that, also when it means that I had to reorganize a few things. What’s definitely is not okay is the compensation via voucher - you can’t use their voucher online or for a cheap flight - on the hotline they offer you no online fare and just way more expensive prices! So stay far away from their voucher. For me as a regular traveler I will avoid BA as much as possible in the future. I even won’t use my miles with BA...
RouteZurich to London
Date FlownApril 2020

"trying every trick in the book"

Not Verified | Do not accept a British Airways e-Voucher, go for a refund. I stupidly accepted 2 e-vouchers and they are a waste of time. They have no flexibility and despite the fact that BA has money and air miles belonging to me, I cannot redeem the voucher against a more expensive non air miles flight, only an air miles flight that they don't have available at the time and route I want. BA are trying every trick in the book to complicate, frustrate and make rebooking difficult and worse still, you can't redeem the cancelled flight voucher online, only by speaking to the call centre which means hanging on for an hour or so every time you try to 'phone them. I was a loyal Silver Card Executive Club member and still am, but after BA's approach, I will be avoiding them wherever possible in future.
RouteVienna to London
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"stands out in many areas"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | London-Heathrow to Warsaw on 14th March. British Airways stands out in many areas of the flight experience, starting from check in and ending on the deplaning. Very friendly, smiling, chatty people throughout my journey, including the lovely captain, who gave all the information about delay, missed slot and new departure time. What is also really appreciated in those coronavirus times, he entered the passenger cabin before takeoff without any mask whatsoever and assured us, this aircraft is so modern and has such good air filters that we are safe here. The boarding procedure was very well organised (no chaos) with 5 groups boarding sequentially. I didn't try the paid Marks&Spencer on board service but I think it would be a nice touch to get some refreshments free. The one thing I can pick on is the cleanliness of the rear toilet. Whilst the rest of the cabin was impeccably clean, the toilet was filthy.
AircraftA321neo
RouteLondon-Heathrow to Warsaw

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL