British Airways

"crew was amazingly kind and lovely"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Mexico City to Manchester via London. My plane from Mexico City to London was smooth. Entertainment was quite nice and so was the food; although I chose a window seat and was never informed it wasn't actually the window, but a wall! The crew was amazingly kind and lovely. They're always checking on you, and we even got a Magnum! Loved this airline for my first flight ever.
RouteMexico City to Manchester via London
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"a good experience with no major complaints"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Sofia. A good experience onboard one of BAs recently refreshed A321 cabins, although unfortunately without any in-seat power supply, contrary to what is stated on their website about which aircraft types were due to get in-seat power following refresh. Another thing to add to the list of inconsistencies with the BA product. However the flight overall was very good. As usual an extremely efficient pre-flight experience at Heathrow's excellent T5. Fast track security was fast, as expected. Galleries Club Lounge was pretty good, and not too crowded. Boarding was smooth with priority boarding honoured as usual. The crew were excellent and provided a very attentive service, with plently of drinks runs given the slightly longer distance of the flight. The food pretty good for a shorthaul business class offering. I found the seats to be pretty comfortable and legroom reasonable for a 5 ft 11" chap. So overall a good experience with no major complaints.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Sofia
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Arriving late to board"

Trip Verified | I was to fly to Melbourne from Manchester via London and Singapore in July 2019. Arriving late to board my Heathrow flight, the Check-In-Staff discussed my dilemma with her supervisor. Only option being to find my way to Heathrow. I somehow managed to get to Heathrow in time where only the Singapore to Melbourne Boarding Pass was issued. I was told that because Manchester to Heathrow flight was missed, my Heathrow to Singapore was cancelled.
RouteManchester to Melbourne via London / Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2019

"a pathetic premium cabin"

Trip Verified | Madrid to London. I keep giving BA the benefit of the doubt, but things are getting worse not better. This A321 has cramped business class seats, no middle table any more and frankly this is a pathetic premium cabin. Despite every statement they make about catering improvements, i simply refer to meal photos on this route in 2016 or 2017 to see they have severely cut back on meal portions and cost. Iberia staff in Madrid were all very nice, cabin staff okay, but overall Club Europe is not worth the money - don't waste your money on this.
AircraftA321neo
RouteMadrid to London

"fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Prague to London. This is the first time I have flown with British Airways. The flight departed earlier than intended and got to Heathrow about 5 minutes early. However at Heathrow, there was a plane in the way as we had arrived early. A negative was at the check-in, partly the website’s fault, as we had done the online check in. We selected the amount of bags we each had. It said we would have to pay extra, and we spent forever at the checkin because we had to pay £65 for each bag. Apart from those negatives and the delay, I would definitely fly this airline again.
RoutePrague to London
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"breakfast become rather perfunctory"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to London. Whoever designed the refurbished Galleries Lounge at JNB has no understanding of acoustics, as every syllable of a Facetime conversation was audible 20 feet away. Add in different languages and some degree of inebriation as you have a recipe for an unrelaxing experience. Thankfully, the upper deck of the A380 was more civilised, with an efficient, if slightly distant, cabin crew who ensured that everyone was fed and watered by 2 hours after takeoff, allowing plenty of time for sleep. Food was mediocre and I've given up expecting anything more from BA's business class product. The White Company bedding is more of a gimmick than a genuine enhancement, and breakfast has become rather perfunctory, with no pastries or bread apart from a solitary croissant. Arrival at a chilly LHR was ahead of schedule and we were curbside 30 minutes after landing. Reliability is currently BA's strongest card.
AircraftA380-800
RouteJohannesburg to London

"very disappointing service"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Gatwick. A very disappointing service for Club World, it felt like I was travelling in economy (with attitude). Especially considering the very high cost of the flight (I've paid half as much less for business class returns to Australia). We got off to a bad start when offered one third of a glass of champagne (about 2 cm in the bottom of the glass). My initial drink after take off was not what I ordered, when I queried it, I got a lecture on this was how it should be. No wine arrived with dinner, until I asked for it a second time (out of stock of the first choice), no second glass of wine offered. Yes, I could have used the call button, but 1/3 of a glass of champagne and one glass of wine being offered on a 10 hour business class flight? Other than the initial bottle of water, and a glass of water with dinner, no other water was offered until I got up and went to the galley to ask. The good news is the food was good and well presented. Although the promised (on the menu) selection of pastries with breakfast were not served (I later walked past the galley to see the crew eating them for their own breakfast). We had dutifully filled in the pre-order card for breakfast, only to find we were being asked again at breakfast. Sleeping was impossible due to the temperature being so high, I actually thought I had a fever (I was so drenched in sweat) until I spoke to a colleague who was the same. I'm used to flying ultra long haul with Middle Eastern airlines, so I'm used to hot cabins, but this was crazy. Only when the crew dropped the temperature a few hours before landing (presumably to wake us up), was it bearable enough to sleep. Combined with the a very dry cabin air, it was very unpleasant. No need to say anything much about the eight across seating as I know the seats are being upgraded over the next few years, other than they are very cramped if sitting next to a window. I do like the semi-reclined position for take off and landing though. I have fairly big shoulders and found the seat width very restrictive. There is nowhere to put your spectacles or bottles of water if lying down. Being on the second aisle, we had to join in with the economy passengers queuing to disembark, so it wasn't quick. At no point did any member of the cabin crew introduce themselves other than via a general PA announcement. The seats I can forgive as they are being addressed, but the service was budget airline level. Really BA, you need to do much, much better. The ground staff in Las Vegas were fast, friendly and efficient. The lounge was something from the dark ages, all 1970's wooden panels.
RouteLas Vegas to Gatwick
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"roller coaster of incompetence"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | San Diego to Stockholm via London. Had I written this review immediately on landing it would have been zero out of ten. But I realise this would be unfair- BA is a game of two halves. The inflight experience is immeasurably improved from a few years ago. The food in Club is excellent, the cabin crew attentive and professional, the pilots are the best in the industry and IFE absolutely fine. The Club World product is competitive with the better European airlines such as Lufthansa and streets ahead of most US carriers. The problems start when anything goes wrong - which it frequently does given the mostly old fleet especially on non-core routes. In my case, the flight was cancelled due to the inbound aircraft (an ancient 747) going technical. Then a comedy of errors. First the hotel vouchers just said ‘Holiday Inn’. There are about 15 in San Diego- cue hordes of passengers looking for shuttle buses in the wrong place, arriving at hotels with no booking etc etc. Next, the replacement flights. The clunky app kept just saying error for some reason. Eventually the full website on a PC showed my replacement flights. But no booking refs or any statement if these were being offered to me, were confirmed or whatever. On calling BA they wouldn’t talk to me because I ‘failed’ security- I didn’t know the billing address of the specific booking which was done by my company’s travel department despite having a full executive club account that was associated with the booking and which they could have used. The next day I went to take the replacement flights- Alaska Airlines to Newark then SAS to Stockholm. Despite getting a boarding card and making it to my seat on the plane, I was pulled off minutes before takeoff. BA had not paid for the flight! A reservation had been created but no ticket issued. BA then booked me on a roundabout route back via Chicago plus a 12 hour layover from 4am to 4pm, getting me home over 36 hours after my original reservation. Later I spotted that the next BA flight which would get me home much sooner now had tickets available online, why was I not on this? When I called they had no explanation and only agreed to ‘exceptionally’ change my flight again after I complained about all of the above. Finally, I arrived home after a 24 hour delay and a roller coaster of incompetence. In summary, when all goes well, BA is better than it was and staff are doing a heroic inflight job. But old planes, rubbish back office IT infrastructure and plain incompetence mean this airline can be hell if anything goes wrong. And bear in mind I was travelling in business class- who knows how they treat economy passengers.
RouteSan Diego to Stockholm via London
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"SLOW lounge continues to impress"

Not Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg. The SLOW lounge at Cape Town continues to impress by the standard of service and the generous array of food and drink, including ingenious wine-dispensing machines. Boarding was quick and take-off was exactly on time. There was some turbulence but the captain kept passengers well informed. The Club meal was the usual offering with the hot options displayed on a tray. Arrival was 20 minutes ahead of schedule.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"thank you for your service and kindness"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | On 4th of December before my flight's departure I got my purse stolen in NYC with all my money and my passport in it. Thanks to the kind strangers I managed to get to the Danish embassy and get a temporary passport. When I arrived at the JFK Airport it was too late and I wasn't allowed to drop off my luggage. With tears in my eyes I went to the desk where they sell tickets and the employee was so kind and helpful - she booked me on to the next flight for free, got me through security without having to wait in the line and she informed the flight crew what happened. When I finally sat down the flight crew were so kind and gave me water and food as I haven't had any food for the whole day as I didn't have any money. I want to say thank you for your service and kindness and for making sure that I got back to Denmark safely. I was overwhelmed with all the kindness from all the staff! Once again thank you!
RouteNew York to London Heathrow via Copenhagen
Date FlownDecember 2019

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL