British Airways

"no food available for the 4 year old"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | On our recommendation my son and his young family (child 4 and baby 9 months) and wife, flew BA to the USA from Cape Town, leaving yesterday evening. Just got off the call with him, after their arrival at Heathrow. Shocked at what he told us re the cabin service provided (or not!!) especially as my wife and I have used them many times a year for + 20 years of business flights from RSA, this our recommendation to him to use them for his holiday. My grandson had a coughing fit, so they asked (bell push) 4 times for glass of water - all ignored. Last one was told "wait till drinks are served!" Then when evening meal served - no food available for the 4 year old, which was pre-ordered online, they said nothing available and when my son explained it had been pre-ordered - the cabin staff supervisors response - "prove it Sir", that sealed it for us, if that’s the BA response to what’s seen as cattle class - it will permeate to our normal travel class, so our next booking will be an alternate.
RouteCape Town to London Heathrow
Date FlownAugust 2022

"We had a nice flight"

Not Verified | We had a nice flight. pushed-off exactly on time. Cabin crew very efficient in all things; friendly for the most part as well. Dinner (hot!) and complimentary wine served in premium economy very good. Do avoid middle seats though, even in premium economy. Only issue was with indifferent/non-helpful BA call center who refused to honor one world status to select seat choice in advance. Nice start to a 3 week trip to England.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to London
Date FlownMay 2022

"2 suitcases lost in 2 flights"

Trip Verified | Holidays ruined, 2 suitcases lost in 2 flights I travelled from London Heathrow to Amsterdam with my brother, before boarding we were told we couldn't take our cabin suitcases with us in the cabin, so they sent them to the cargo. At our arrival in Amsterdam, one of the suitcases was missing, left at London Heathrow, so we had to fill in a report in Amsterdam, this was 3 days ago and we still don't have the suitcase or any information about it. Today I travelled from Amsterdam to London City Airport, again they didn't allow me to board with my cabin suitcase, and when I arrived in London, the suitcase was missing, left in Amsterdam. 2 Suitcases, 2 different flights, they've ruined my holidays. No compensation, no dates on when will I get my property back, no information, lies and more lies. I was told I could complain online and buy all the things I need, shoes, toiletries, clothes, and I might receive the money back in 30 days! Yes, I might.
RouteLondon to Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Some things just do not change at BA"

Trip Verified | Despite BA's promise to credit double tier points for a holiday booked on their website I have received no additional points and my four email communications (including to the Chief Executive) have remained unanswered. Do not be taken in by this marketing con - they just want you to book a holiday and then do not follow up on their promises. Some things just do not change at BA.
RouteLondon to Marrakesh
Date FlownJune 2022

"I have not received my refund"

(Ghana)

Trip Verified | Refund process is non responsive I have been following up on my refund since October, 2021 which is 9 months now. I have contacted the customer service deck and sent mails to [email protected] several times and all they tell me is it’s been processed. British Airways customer service is bad and needs to be worked on. Till today I have not received my refund. I am just wondering what is happening!
RouteAccra to London
Date FlownNovember 2021

"has taken a nosedive in my opinion"

Trip Verified | Customer service is non-existent. For over a week customer service number message said to call back in a couple weeks. Nothing we needed to accomplish could be done on BA.com I was flying to Nairobi to bring my sister back after her husband died suddenly, My sister and husband had tickets on the July 18 from Nairobi to JFK. When BA received the death certificate, they cancelled my sister's ticket, not once but twice. It took almost 5 weeks to correct this incompetence. My niece and my wife were on the phone for hours plus hold times. 8 times we were told by the web help number we would get a return call and no one ever called back. The ticket was in premium economy. When I tried to upgrade to be with my broken- hearted sister, the price was $4029.00 plus a $25.00 service fee. Where is the efficiency? Where is the empathy? Where is the decency? In addition to the stress of losing her husband, my sister had to go through totally unnecessary stress of not having a ticket until 7 days before her flight. Also when I made my reservation, i was given a price and within 10 seconds was told there was a $1400.00 increase. British Airways has taken a nosedive in my opinion. Words simply don't convey my very deep frustration and disappointment with the company
RouteNairobi to New York via London

"A good flight overall"

Trip Verified | Flight on A380 SFO to LHR. Smooth check in at San Francisco. Airport quiet and efficient. Dedicated BA lounge, excellent food and beverage options and attentive staff. Lounge was very crowded though. Minor departure delay and onto A380 upper deck. I prefer the club world cabin on the upper deck as it is very much quieter. Old style product but clean and well maintained. Staff offered a good level of service and reasonable meals. On time arrival, baggage quite slow. A good flight overall.
RouteSan Francisco to London
Date FlownJuly 2022

"managed to lose my luggage"

Trip Verified | For this 5 hour 15 min flight, you are given a bag of potato chips, and a bottle of water. If you want to purchase more food and drink you do this via their app on your phone. Or like me you can pre-order weeks before you fly. However there is no guarantee you will get your order, mine never came, so after enquiring where the order was, they told me they had food for someone who was not on the plane, that someone was me it turned out. They also managed to lose my luggage. I am still waiting for them to contact me regarding it. I will never use them again.
RouteLondon to Amman
Date FlownMay 2022

"get us on a flight 5 days later"

Trip Verified | My wife and I booked a flight in April 2022 that included a return trip from Edinburgh thru London to Washington. When we checked in at Edinburgh Airport 3 hours ahead of time we were informed there were no more seats available on our scheduled flight. We asked how this was possible and were simply told that others had checked in on-line (which we hadn’t done). We were instructed to come back in 2 hrs and 15 mins, still with our luggage unchecked and not yet going thru security, to see if we could get on the flight via standby. We waited and then finally at 1:15 PM, 45 mins before our scheduled 2:00 PM flight, we were told we could be on the flight and were given boarding passes for the flight to London but no boarding passes for the connecting flight (1:55 mins after arrival time). Our luggage was not checked thru to Washington but only to London. We were told we’d get thru security on time to make the flight and it was suggested that staff would assist us. When we got to Security Check area the line was massively long. We questioned a BA staff member who said we had to get in line like the others. We decided to pay (12 pounds) to go through “Fast Track” Security to make our Flight. We got to the gate in time. Yet, due to a delayed departure caused in part by luggage-space issues on the plane, our flight arrived in London 45 mns late, and after going to the “flight connections” we were told 25 mins before the scheduled departure, with a vague explanation of “there isn’t enough time,” that we could not be given a boarding pass for our flight. We were then directed to baggage claim to retrieve our luggage and then proceed to the check-in area to be rebooked for a later flight. When we got to the check-in counter area a BA staff person, standing at entrance to the check-in line, advised us we should try to call our travel agency to rebook because the line for checking in had not hardly moved in 3 hrs. When we finally got thru on the phone, we were informed that the best BA could do for us was to get us on a flight 5 days later, and then not to our original destination (IAD), but to Baltimore. I was not told or assured I’d be compensated for this extreme expense of staying 5 more days in a hotel - just that I could go to the BA website and make a claim on-line. This ugly experience, still ongoing, has ruined our trip to the UK.
RouteEdinburgh to Washington via London
Date FlownJuly 2022

"refund process is non responsive"

Not Verified | Decent flight and airplane, non existing customer service for refunds and support after delayed flight. Flight on 18th June-2022 from Vancouver to London airport was delayed for roughly 4 hours. We received a 10 CAD voucher for some drinks, this was appreciated. Because of this delay we missed our connecting flight to Amsterdam (from London), within the airplane we have been informed to go towards the British airway information desk to reschedule another flight towards Amsterdam. When we left the airplane in London, there where 3 employees working and a 400 people waiting line. We asked around towards the nice employees British airways have and we have been told this was the only line/desks to get a reschedule for our flight to Amsterdam, so we had to wait and be patient. After 4 hours of waiting and being roughly halfway the line we felt like uninformed cattle in an 4h waiting line with only candy bars and sugar cookies to eat. At some point after 4 hours they were giving away hotel vouchers and shuttle bus vouchers because we couldn’t sleep/stay at the airport, as we noticed on the website we have been assigned another flight. This flight was about to leave Tuesday morning (it was Sunday 5pm when we arrived in London). This meant we have to spent 2 additional days in London before we were able to fly to the Netherlands. We have been told by the employees we could arrange our own transfer back to the Netherlands and save the receipts, and we will get a refund on the costs (hotel, food, transport) and a refund on the flight for Tuesday as we where not going to take this flight. They released out baggage, gave us a hotel voucher and cancelled the Tuesday flight they gave us. We were going to make our own travel back to the Netherlands. Seems British Airways claims & refund process is non responsive, as we already requested information 2 times for our compensation, but received nothing yet. apart from an automated email saying we could get a small refund based on our missed flight.
RouteVancouver to Amsterdam via London
Date FlownJune 2022

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL