British Airways

"Never again"

Not Verified | We have flown BA five times from western USA to England. Always decent service. Never again. If you have a problem their website is impossible to navigate. It’s terrible, takes you in endless repeating circles and loops that never lead to any resolutions. They lost our suitcase. We spent hours upon our arrival in Lisbon trying to navigate their website. It was frustrating and fruitless. Three days into our trip and we still are waiting for our clothing and toiletries and electronics. Can we talk to a real person? No. It’s impossible. We have even quit thinking about the $396 we spent to secure seats in Economy that turned out to have no extra legroom. We paid $400 extra for nothing. We are done with BA. Whoops, not quite. We still have to get home.
RoutePhoenix to Lisbon via London
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Is this how low BA has fallen?"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Istanbul at the start of the half-term school holidays and so the flight was very busy indeed. Boarding was quite well managed with neatly presented and pleasant gate agents one of whom went out of her way to assist an elderly passenger with mobility issues. I felt singled out by a member of the BA crew who insisted that my small bag was taken and checked-in. Other passengers had large bags and were not stopped from taking them onto the flight. During the flight I felt that a staff member was very unprofessional towards me. I had an aisle seat and he spoke at length to the couple sitting next to me about their country of origin. I may as well have been invisible. The same member of the cabin crew then disappeared and returned with a selection of drinks and snacks from Business class for his compatriots. He managed to spill some liquid on me and did not even acknowledge me. The A320 was clean, no IFE and not even a route-map to follow the journey. It was a rather clinical flight and exceptionally basic. I received a small bottle of water and two broken digestive biscuits. The wifi did not work and the ridiculous skyshop was not accessible either. I asked for a coffee and the cabin crew member kissed his teeth at me. Is this how low BA has fallen? I also noted tension between the same member of the cabin crew and 2 of his colleagues. This is not good enough. Disembarkation was remarkably orderly and civilized and the captain made an effort to engage with passengers during the flight with sensible updates.
RouteLondon to Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2024

“It was a terrible experience”

Not Verified | Jan 30th, I booked a last-minute, transatlantic flight to Ireland to attend a funeral for a close friend of mine. So, the nature of the trip was bad enough as it was. It was not a vacation for me. On the transatlantic leg of the flight, BA was the airline. It was a terrible experience. A baby was crying right next to me for a good portion of the flight. That’s not BA’s fault, but just to continue to set the stage. Mid-flight they had to close both the bathrooms in the middle of the plane. I was in seat 16J, right behind one of the bathrooms. They both started leaking sewage into the passenger compartment. I could see the water coming toward me and soon it was under my feet. As you can imagine, it didn’t smell great. It made a bad trip worse and got all over a new pair of boots. I contacted BA about this and explained in great detail what had happened. Their response was essentially, “Sorry about that”. I contacted them again to verify that this was the formal response. They responded by offering me a 50 euro voucher to use on a future BA flight, which has very little value to me, if any. I contacted them again, giving them another chance to make it right. Nothing. It’s not their fault that there was a screaming baby, nor is it their fault that the restrooms overflowed, created a disgusting mess, and soiled my boots. It is their fault that they made no effort to make it right. This is not just an inconvenience. It's a health and safety issue. As far as I can tell, I’m the only one who got sewage under my feet. I think this is completely unacceptable and will do everything I can to avoid flying BA in the future.
RouteAustin, TX to Shannon, Ireland via Austin
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"all needs a serious rework"

Trip Verified | I am a British Airways Gold Guest List member (with Lifetime privileges). In spite of that I have given up Britsh wherever possible. I take ten or more trans ocean trips a year. I am fortunate to be able to fly First Class - unfortunately British no longer has a First Class product - the sell one by that name at First Class prices but in fairness deliver what you would consider a very good Business Class experience. I should point out that there are airlines who sell Business Class that in fact are better than any British First Class experience (Qatar, Emirates). I have flown many millions of miles on British. Last week I completed an around the world trip on Emirates and Qantas all A380. In the millions of BA miles I never had an experience as good as what I experience on EK and Qantas. A very long time ago the food and beverage service on BA was truly extraordinary - today it would be a bit of a stretch to even call it ordinary - so sad a decline. Seat comfort (in First), lounges food, beverage all need serious rework. If you are a First Class traveler British is just not an option. Sad, truly sad.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLondon to San Francisco
Date FlownNovember 2023

"flights they have not actually provided"

Not Verified | Another case of reviewing British Airways flights that they have not actually provided. I booked several months ago for London to Casablanca via Madrid (with the Madrid to Casablanca leg on Iberia), returning from Marrakech direct on BA. First the Marrakech flight was cancelled, so I had to rebook on Royal Air Maroc. Now BA has changed the London to Madrid leg to be operated by Iberia. So, instead of my booking through ba.com having 2 out of 3 legs operated by BA, I now have none of them being BA flights - and they did not transfer my paid-for seat selection on London to Madrid, so I have got to arrange a refund of the payment. What is the point of an airline offering a service and taking your money for that service, only to decide later that they cannot be bothered to provide what you have paid for in good faith? Only giving 1 out of 10 because I cannot mark it as zero to reflect the zero service received.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Casablanca
Date FlownFebruary 2024

“meticulous attention to detail”

(Nigeria)

Trip Verified | On the memorable day of January 9th, my family and I embarked on a journey from London Heathrow, Terminal 5, destined for Glasgow. Little did we anticipate the series of events that would unfold, shaping our travel experience into a tale of exceptional service and unwavering dedication. As we navigated the bustling corridors of the airport, our journey encountered an unexpected hurdle. It was at this juncture that I found myself grappling with booking complications, compounded by banking delays. Amid this quandary, I sought assistance from British Airways personnel at Terminal 5, hoping to salvage our travel plans. Enter Mr. Sathies, a beacon of hope amidst the chaos. With a demeanour exuding empathy and professionalism, Mr. Sathies swiftly assessed the situation at hand. Despite the setback, he wasted no time in springing into action, exploring every avenue to mitigate the impact of the unforeseen challenges we faced. The sequence of events unfolded with remarkable clarity as Mr Sathies tirelessly liaised with various stakeholders, including senior colleagues and his managerial counterpart, Mr Gurvir Singh Dhillon. Their collaborative efforts culminated in a solution that exceeded all expectations. Through Mr. Sathies' unwavering dedication and Mr. Gurvir Singh Dhillon's steadfast support, our travel arrangements were salvaged without incurring any additional costs. Despite the initial uncertainty, my family and I were able to proceed with our journey, embarking on our flight to Glasgow with a renewed sense of gratitude and appreciation for the exceptional service rendered by British Airways. As I reflect upon the precise sequence of events that transpired on that fateful day, I am filled with profound gratitude towards Mr. Sathies, Mr. Gurvir Singh Dhillon, and the entire British Airways team. Their meticulous attention to detail and unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction reaffirmed my faith in British Airways as a paragon of excellence within the aviation industry.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Glasgow
Date FlownJanuary 2024

“they have ignored every communication”

Not Verified | I did not actually get to fly with BA as they cancelled the flight with 3 days notice and refused to offer an acceptable alternative, resulting in 2 people losing their holiday (a river cruise). Since then, as appears to be their standard protocol, they have ignored every communication regarding their obligations for compensation and I have no option but to pursue them via official channels.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Berlin
Date FlownOctober 2023

"fabulous cabin crew"

Trip Verified | We had possibly the worse check-in experience ever this ever. It took nearly 50 minutes of phone calls and numerous staff to check us in for a redemption flight through our account. Utterly bizarre situation for a procedure we’ve done without hitch for the last 20 years. Once onboard we were so disappointed to have the old style Club World seats that meaning stepping over your fellow passengers to use the toilets. Why on earth are these still in use they feel so dated. The saving grace, as is quite often the case, was some fabulous cabin crew that were amazing. I have fed back to BA direct to sing their praises. Fingers crossed for the return leg.
AircraftA380-800
RouteLondon to Miami

"no great expectations"

(Japan)

Trip Verified |  I flew to LHR from ATH in Club Europe with BA641 on Dec 31 to transfer to a JAL flight back to Tokyo. At first, I had no great expectations of what services I would enjoy on board, partly because its flight time was less than 4 hours and because the seat configuration of Club Europe was the typical European Business Class with the middle seat empty. Afterward, on board, remembering that I took the same route with BA more than 30 years ago, I got to feel relaxed by their unobtrusive and courteous services. When I asked for a champagne refill a couple of times, a benign smile would come to me.
RouteAthens to London
Date FlownDecember 2023

"actively try and split families up"

Trip Verified | I like the British Airways World Traveller Plus product. The seats are comfy and the food is good. The crew on this flight were very attentive and friendly especially the CSM who came round and introduced herself to us and made sure we were comfortable. The bars closed half way through the flight to Cancun as they can’t uplift more alcoholic drinks in Cancun. Juice, water, tea and coffee is available. Very full flight. My only criticisms of British Airways Premium Economy is that it feels like they actively try and split families up unless they pay the £100 each to pre book seats. The majority of drinks are served in plastic not glass. There were no inflight snacks available on an 11 hour flight. It’s an upgraded version of Economy, where as other airlines like Qantas and Singapore Airlines are Business minus. Still worth the extra though.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Cancun

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL