British Airways

"cancelled a flight booked three months ago "

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | They cancelled a flight I booked three months ago for some operational problem at a time where the prices are off the roof. British Airways could not give me any alternatives other than refund or a voucher.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2021

"decided to avoid BA from now on"

Trip Verified | I’ve been flying with BA for years and never had any issues. I recently had to arrange to have surgery in Budapest and naturally wanted to fly BA. So I booked my flights from BHD to BUD via LHR online on their site. Once booked I informed the hospital and confirmed my appointment. The very next day I received an email from BA telling me they had cancelled my flight to BUD but not to worry as they had moved me to an earlier (a much earlier) flight the same day. Only problem was this earlier flight departed around two hours before my flight from BHD arrived. I would have thought that this would have flashed up on their system as being an issue, but seemingly not… *interlude* To get into Hungary during covid one needs a valid reason, with medical treatment being one. I had to fill in a very confusing form on the Hungarian police website that was a confusing mix of Hungarian and pidgin English. Anyway form filled in with flight numbers etc, emailed to the authorities there and exemption granted. So I took the earlier flight but this meant I had to fly into London the previous evening and stay overnight in a hotel. So operation booked, hotel booked, airport transfers booked immigration papers amended and re sent and admiration granted and flights re booked, what could go wrong? Around three weeks before I was due to travel, BA, rather unsportingly, decided to cancel my flight to BUD again. Needless to say I was furious. I complained to BA customer services and was given a stock excuse about covid disrupting air travel. Great excuse, only having looked at BUD arrivals info, Ryanair had been flying there once daily for at least the preceding several months. So BA’s covid excuse rang somewhat hollow. Epilogue: I got refunded most of my money from the flights I booked with BA, although they refused to refund my BHD - LHR flights because who knows? I also lost the money I had spent on a hotel and half of the money I had spent on booking airport transfers. Given the cavalier attitude BA seem to have to bookings and their indifference to ruining weeks of preparation on my part and the fact that I lost a not inconsiderable sum of money, I’ve decided to avoid BA from now on.
RouteBelfast to Budapest via Heathrow
Date FlownJuly 2021

"very slick on board experience"

Trip Verified | Check in well organised. No lounge in Cancun. Efficient boarding process. Given water bottle before take off, no welcome drink. Now COVID rules are being relaxed this needs to change. Menu good and food acceptable. Staff were experienced and well organised and gave a very slick on board experience. Managed to sleep a few hours. For the first time my tagged luggage was off quickly. This may reflect the fact that our flight was the only one into Gatwick at that time.
RouteCancun to Gatwick
Date FlownJuly 2021

"Not complete return to old days"

Trip Verified | Departure LGW north so Aspire lounge. Bag from fine, lounge basic, on time departure. Cabin crew welcoming but only given menu, water and amenity pack. Looks like some of White Company bedding options removed. Lunch was fine and good pre meal drinks service. Not complete return to old days but getting there. Flight generally good. Early touch down. Club world luggage off last which meant a wait of 75 minutes for luggage!
RouteGatwick to Cancun

"no refund issued yet"

Not Verified | Booked flight six months before travel, then month before the flight BA cancelled the flight giving the option to rebook for another day - bearing in mind that people have work and school that wasn't ideal on top of booked parking for over three weeks. We rebooked the flight- as suggested by them and a week later BA cancelled the rebooked flight. We were told that we will receive a refund within 10 working days. Over two weeks passed and I called again. I was informed that they can't give a time frame for processing refunds, and no refund issued yet. BA representative refuses to give contact details to the manager, they cut the phone.
Date FlownJuly 2021

"asking for upgrades to a best seat"

Not Verified | The airline cancelled my initial return flight with a 2 hours layover in London, and my only option was to book the next flight that has a 7-8 hours layover. That's before I board the flight to Toronto. While i understand schedule changes, and do my best to stay positive and supportive, i contacted the airline, asking for upgrades to a best seat. I asked for access to the airport lounge during my prolonged stay in the airport. They denied my ask, no explanations and no empathy. Not only that, but they ignored my subsequent ask to provide a path to escalation. Again, not the change in schedule, not the extra 5 hours layover time. Just the way they chose to treat a customer who didn't do anything wrong except trusting them with his commute.
RouteBucharest to Toronto via London
Date FlownJuly 2021

"didn't allow us to seat together"

Not Verified | I was traveling with my wife in business class from Seattle to Bangalore via connecting flight in London and we reserved our seats together while booking the tickets. But mysteriously they changed it later and when we got our boarding pass, they assigned 11h and 5d. Called several times but they couldn't do anything and gave us explanations like may be some one else needed those seats and there are no other seats together available. When we boarded, the whole plane was empty and still they didn't allow us to seat together.
RouteSeattle to Bangalore via London
Date FlownJune 2021

"uncomfortable, miserly experience "

Trip Verified | I usually avoid BA because of its appalling customer service and sneaky extra charges, but this flight was my only option. Note that BA actually charges for seat pre-selection in biz class -- 100 UK pounds in this case! Does any other airline in the world dare do that? I saved the money and waited until checkin to choose my seat for free. The seats were BA's universally derided, cramped 6-across back-to-front configuration, where you stare into the face of your seat mate an arm's length away. No other airline ever came up with this awkward arrangement --- I wonder why? No preflight drink was offered. At meal time I selected one of the three main offerings, only to be told it wasn't available -- even though there were only 3 people in my 16 seat biz section. The seat area has practically no storage except a tiny drawer at ankle level that is inaccessible when the seat is in lie flat position. The "bed" is the narrowest I have experienced in biz class, and is also very hard. The cabin was very cold and the blanket very thin; I had to raid blankets from two other seats just to stay warm. The amenity kit is the smallest I've ever seen in biz class -- it fits in the palm of the hand. All in all, this uncomfortable, miserly experience is hardly worth the £5,727 that BA charges for this route. I used miles to pay for my ticket -- but of course got whacked with BA's unique and notorious "fuel surcharge" fee of $636 for using miles.
RouteLondon to Mexico City
Date FlownJune 2021

"Service was a little perfunctory"

Not Verified | Aktion airport has only recently opened its new facilities and check-in and departure certainly seemed very clean and efficient, although admittedly it’s only having to cope with a low passenger load at present. It was good to see that check-in carefully scrutinised lateral flow certificates and passenger locator forms. Thanks to just 30 passengers on board, with more than half in Club Europe, the flight took off ahead of time. Service was a little perfunctory and the food was more reminiscent of economy than business class, with too much pre-packaging - the COVID effect, presumably. Arrival into T5 was also comfortably ahead of schedule, and although we were dreading many hours of queuing at border control, we were through the e-gates and collecting our luggage just 20 minutes after landing.
RoutePreveza to London

"I am really grateful"

(Ghana)

Trip Verified | I want to say a big thank you to Kahina Ladjouze. After frustratingly missing my flight due to M25 road closures, she helped me secure and book the next day flight without additional charges. I am really grateful.
RouteLondon to Accra

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL