Avianca

"Will avoid this airline at all costs"

Trip Verified | The check in was horrible. Couldn’t get the booking ticket myself online. So after showing my booking and reference number to the check in counter they said they have to charge me extra to check me in. They literally want to charge me extra if I don’t do their job of checking in for them. Almost missed my flight. Check in should be free and check in associates should be able to perform their job as stated in their name without extra fee. Ridiculous. The flights never brought water or food. And in 2022 please put a monitor on the seat in front of me. It should be well within the budget for aircraft now a days with the price spikes in our tickets. As all airlines prepare to have your knees in the seat in front of you if your 5’10’’ or taller. Wouldn’t have gone out of my way to write this if they just checked me in and did their job. Will avoid this airline at all costs and make sure to be vocal about their bad business.
RouteBogota to Medellin
Date FlownOctober 2022

"recommend Volaris next time"

(Costa Rica)

Trip Verified | We called the call center to try and change a reservation only to discover the call center had us on hold the whole time and also charged us per minute more than 200 dollars to never coming on the line and assist us with the request. Definitely will only fly and recommend Volaris next time.
RouteMexico City to San Jose
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"terrible customer service"

Not Verified | Slow, inefficient, terrible customer service. The only airline without a bag drop area took well over an hour to do a very simple bag drop. Agents were needlessly rude. Were not able to add my ktn to my boarding pass even though I have global entry.
RouteLos Angeles to Guatemala

"Terrible seats"

Trip Verified | Terrible seats, no entertainment at all. The cheapest as possible is what you get with seats that don’t even incline, no screen to tell travel progress.
RouteBogota to Miami
Date FlownOctober 2022

"very bad experience with Avianca"

Not Verified | I had a very bad experience with Avianca in which I bought a flight from Houston to Peru for November 18-26 2022 and I received an email saying that the flight had been changed immediately call the airline in which I don't have much flexibility and they told me that they could give me a refund since they were giving me so many long hours of flight 20 hours of travel and a short time of stay since it was changed leaving Sunday arriving Monday afternoon and returning Friday. The person told me that they will give you a refund and it will take a month, I had no problem with that, but how long are you going to fill out the information? They ask you for so many things, it has already been three weeks and they continue to ask for information and nothing they tell you that it is already done. processed - be very careful before going to buy flights with Avianca since they do NOT tell you that your flight can change at any time and long flight hours. And if it goes Going through the refund problem is a long wait and nothing at all. I have traveled on other airlines and I have never had problems with reimbursement, it has been easy and fast. Realmente e tenido una experiencia muy mala con Avianca en la cual compre un vuelo de Houston a peru para Noviembre del 18-26 022 en y recibí un correo electrónico diciendo que el vuelo había sido cambiado inmediatamente llame a la aerolínea en la cual no tengo mucha flexibilidad y me dijeron que me podían dar un reembolso ya que me estaban dando tantas largas horas de vuelo 20 horas de viaje y un corto tiempo de estadía ya que fue cambiado saliendo domingo llegando lunes por la tarde y regresando viernes. La persona me dijo se te va a dar un reembolso y se demorará un mes, no tenia problema de eso pero cuánto vas a llenar la información te piden tanta cosas ya an pasado tres semana a y siguen pidiendo información y nada que te dicen que ya está procesado… tengan mucho cuidado antes de ir a comprar vuelos con avianca ya que NO te dicen que tu vuelo puede hacer cambiando en cualquier momento y largas horas de vuelo. Y si va. A pasar por el problema de reembolso es una larga espera y nada de nada. Eh viajado en otras aerolíneas y nunca e tenido problemas de reembolso a sido fácil y rápido.
RouteHouston to Lima
Date FlownNovember 2022

"not be flying Avianca again"

Trip Verified | We were given the wrong information at the airport by Avianca employees & manager regarding documentation, resulting in a missed flight for my aunt, who is elderly, when she returned with the additional documentation Avianca told her it was not needed, at this point Avianca required her to buy a new flight because she listened to the information provided by Avianca employees, the ticket being offered to her was over 1,000USD, thankfully my younger sister googled flights on her phone and was able to buy her a flight for under 300USD. Avianca took no responsibility over the situation and we were forced to buy 2 additional tickets, according to them, although she had the original return flight already purchased it was no longer valid because she had missed the departure flight (because she listened to Avianca staff) which made no sense to us. There was no apology for the misinformation shared by Avianca at any point. Not only that, we were on the phone over 4 hours to no avail. I will not be flying Avianca again. Also the food on the plane was horrible. & on the departure flight the entertainment screen did not work.
RouteLos Angeles to Lima via San Salvador / Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"going from bad to worse"

Trip Verified | I do not recommend this airline that is going from bad to worse with the services that they offer to their clients and now with those changes that they made to size the tickets as if they were shirts that one is buying. In case the service was already lousy and now they take away the opportunity to buy tickets in business class they are going to treat you worse. No recomiendo esta aerolínea que va de mal en peor con los servicios que le ofrecen a sus clientes y ahora con esos cambios que hicieron de ponerles tallas a los tickets como si fueran camisas las que uno está comprando. De por si ya estaba pésimo el servicio y ahora quitan la oportunidad de comprar tickets en clase ejecutiva lo van a tratar peor a uno.
RouteSan Francisco to San Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"Never flying with this airline again"

Trip Verified | Never flying with this airline again. I booked a ticket from Santa Marta to bogota, I received a booking confirmation email stating that my payment was approved, an Eticket receipt, and my itinerary on the Avianca app. However, when I arrived at the airport I was refused boarding since apparently my payment wasn’t received and my ticket was never reserved. I never received a cancellation email from Avianca and there was no way that I could have known that my ticket was not reserved. The airline crew members tried to help me book another ticket for later that evening, but the Avianca site was not working, I tried to use three different credit cards, all of which were rejected for no apparent reason (these credit cards are international and my bank confirmed that there was no problem with the credit cards). I ended up taking out money from the ATM and paying the airline crew members directly to board the last flight of the night. I cannot stress how important it was for me to arrive in Bogota at the scheduled time, and this delay made me miss my ride to Anapoima and required me to book a hostel in bogota for the night. I also can’t explain how stressful it is to be randomly refused boarding, even after showing them the different receipts I received that verified my purchase. Still have no idea what the problem was and why they couldn’t inform me that my ticket was canceled… I sent them a complaint asking them for compensation and received an automated bot response. (I would like to note that the airline crew at Avianca tried their best to help and I really appreciated their assistance, particularly Darcy Forero and Lorraine Sanches).
RouteSanta Marta to Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"really disappointed with this airline"

Trip Verified | Houston to El Salvador. Typically I don’t do reviews for anything! But I’m really disappointed with this airline. I think most people know about Avianca this is the WORST airline I ever flown with!! Please people don’t ever fly with them this is worst then Spirit at least Spirit specifies that they charge for everything you’re aware of! But this airline hide the charges! Worst ever!!
RouteHouston to El Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"they can not fulfil the tickets"

Trip Verified |Sao Paulo to Pereira via Bogota. It seems like a lot of people here went through the same situation. I should have read the reviews before booking with this company. Bought a ticket in their website in 12/21/2021 for $2692.64 to have my parents fly from Brazil to Colombia. They processed the payment but didn't issue the tickets, three days later they emailed me saying they can not fulfil the tickets from that origin city (even though their website booked it). They advised me to book it from a different city so I went back to the site and booked it and had paid for that flight. So as of today 09/22/2022 after long phone calls (at least 3 a month) and many forms later submitted, usually the same forms again and again because they never have it, I am still out of $2692.64.
RouteSao Paulo to Pereira via Bogota