Avianca

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | We purchased the base fare ticket back in August for a trip to Ecuador in March. However, in January our friends in Ecuador warned us of internal conflict in the country, they advised us that flights were being cancelled and they were trying to get out. To be proactive, we cancelled our flights, believing that due to extenuating circumstances we would receive a full refund and/or could modify our flight to Chile. Instead, they 'approved' our request and only send us $164 CAD, instead of the $1800 USD for our flights. We are so disappointed and they are telling us there is nothing they can do to undo our flight cancellation. So they get to keep our $1800 USD and we're left without flights. Horrible customer service. They were not pleasant to speak to over the phone and kept repeating legalities instead of speaking to me as a human being. All we want is to modify our flight destination to another place in South America. We're extremely disappointed with Avianca and will not be flying with them again.
RouteToronto to Quito
Date FlownFebruary 2024

" become a miserable airline"

Trip Verified |  At first glance it seems fantastic to have bought a round trip ticket to Miami - Santiago de Chile - Miami at such an affordable price. But it was a trip full of unpleasant surprises. They charge you to choose your seats, a payment for each flight. In my case there were 4 flights due to the stopovers in Bogota. They charge you for the “carry-on” suitcase (the one you take on board the cabin). The price varies depending on whether you make the payment online and also depending on how close to the date of your trip you do it. One way (MIA-SCL) I paid U$D 65 - for my small suitcase in the cabin. On the way back (SCL-MIA) they charged me U$D 123 to carry my suitcase in the cabin. If I had checked it as luggage it would have been even more expensive. During the trip there are no food or drinks included. You have to pay for some sandwiches, some junk foods, coffee, drinks and even bottles of water. During the Bogota - Santiago flight, they offered me water in a glass as an option… as long as I went to look for it in the back of the plane. The seats are not reclining (unless you pay an additional cost), they have no padding or anything to support your head. In 2017 I traveled on Avianca and it was a decent airline. Today it has become a miserable airline. I will never fly with them again.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Santiago via Bogota
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"never been treated that badly"

Trip Verified | Incredibly rude, while boarding, they kept asking me if I was Russian or if I was flying there (even though I showed my non-Russian passport and my flight info). Singled me out for additional checks and kept asking me to indicate my whereabouts! They took a picture of my passport and sent it somewhere through WhatsApp! No idea who has my data and what will they use it for. I kept contacting the airline for an explanation but no response. No one told me what was wrong they were just rude and very clearly kept an eye on me as if I were a criminal. I was so scared and the entire experience was traumatising. I have never been treated that badly and would rather take a bus across the continent than fly with them again!
RouteLima to Bogota
Date FlownDecember 2023

"I was really disappointed"

Trip Verified | I was really disappointed flying Avianca internationally from Bogota to NYC. Never in my life have I been on an international flight that charges for water, let alone anything to eat or drink. It was not advertised or clear that the flight did not provide a meal or any free beverage service, which is unacceptable. Only once onboard and in the air did they tell us that not only was it required for us to purchase anything to drink, but that there weren’t full meals available for a 6 hour flight during dinner time. Further, when I purchased food, I was given an inedible instant Mac and cheese (improperly made, don’t offer it if you can’t prepare it). I flew Avianca in 2019 and had a completely different experience. This flight left a really bad taste in my mouth after an incredible trip in Colombia… a really sad way to end vacation. I will not fly Avianca again.
RouteBogota to JFK New York

“no Avianca staff”

(El Salvador)

Not Verified | My booking ticket clearly states $30 for first check bag and thats all I checked-in at the airport on a self check-in kiosk, no Avianca staff available in sight. The kiosk charged me $180USD for the checked bag. These crooks have designed this system to rob people at the airport for checked bags.
RouteSan Salvador to Mexico City
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"I would avoid flying with Avianca"

Trip Verified | We chose "plus sized" seats for our flight, but when I boarded this seemed like some sort of bad joke. I am 6'3" / 190cm, but my knees touched the back of the seat in front. If this is "plus" legroom, I hate to think how spending 3.5 hours in a standard legroom seat would feel. There were 3 flight stewards, and whilst the younger 2 were smiley, friendly and helpful, the older (more senior?) member of staff seemed to go out of his way to order passengers around in a surly manner during the flight. Maybe he was having a bad day, but this was not appreciated, and felt like particularly bad customer service. The flight took off slightly late, but landed early by a good margin. Finally, I am not sure where the responsibility for this lies, but one of our suitcases had been opened, unpacked and then the contents thrown back in in a random manner so that various items were crushed and had minor damage. There was a note placed inside the bag from Avianca that simply stated that the bag had been opened and checked etc, but there were no contact details to complain about the bad and careless re-packing of the suitcase. If I have a choice of airlines on a particular route in the future, I would avoid flying with Avianca again.
RouteBogota to Cancun

"It was a nightmare"

Trip Verified | It was a nightmare, first complaint was that they charged me 200 dollars for my second luggage, my seat didn’t recline it , from Lima to Bogota my connection was limited time to catch my fly I just made it. When I and other passengers say something about the connection to the crew didn’t respond. Lima to Bogota 2 hours flying they didn’t give us even a glass of water, from Bogota to New York they charged the food, I got a ramen cup for 4 dollars in the plane they didn’t take cash. They have no TV in the plane, connecting for a movie online was another problem a total nightmare. I do not recommend this airline.
RouteLima to New York via Bogota

“Avianca is the worst”

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Avianca is the worst, they always oversell their flights and you have to pay for food. Today while I was traveling I got kicked out because they oversold. Today on my flight they didn’t let someone on because she had a red eye, also on the same flight they gave a ticket to a standby when the lady who owned the seat saw that they gave to her because she was absent when she clearly was there in the flight next to us. Avianca flight attendant got in a fight with an old lady. Please don’t fly Avianca.
RouteBogota to Cancún

"a terrible experience"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Third time flying with Avianca and overall it was a terrible experience. We were charged extra for our bag (recently travelled with different airlines who did not charge for the same bag). Then flight was overbooked, staff rude etc. Safe to say that we will not travel with Avianca anymore!
RouteMedellin to México City via Bogotá
Date FlownJanuary 2024

"the most uncomfortable seat"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | We sat in the plane from Bogotá to Santiago for over 7 hours, in the most uncomfortable seat I can remember. Onboard, we were neither served drinks nor food; one could only purchase unpalatable sandwiches or instant soups for a high price. No entertainment at all on board. The seat no longer had a pouch attached to it where one could store items like glasses or a phone, but just an open net at the bottom, which is hardly suitable for storing anything. By the way, the ticket price was not lower than what the competition charges. Low cost with this airline apparently means that they hardly value a comfortable travel experience anymore, which used to be the case, yet they still charge a price for tickets as if that were the case. On the return flight to Bogotá, many passengers were asked to check their carry-on suitcases. This could be an unpleasant surprise if you're not prepared for the fact that no food or drinks are served on board and you had a snack or something similar in your suitcase, which you then sorely miss for hours on board. Good luck with this strategy, dear Avianca management. If a miracle happens, it might continue to go well for a while.
AircraftA 320