Avianca

"our reservation remains cancelled"

Trip Verified | At the airport, my husband and I were late and we were told by Avianca to re-schedule our flight with the call center. We were calling back and forth, being tossed between Avianca at the airport telling us that our reservation doesn't require waiver and the Avianca call center telling us that Avianca at the airport needs to provide a waiver and at the very end, Avianca call center cancelling our entire reservation. The only thing we got was that Avianca airport telling us that the person/people we talk to at the call center doesn't know what's going on and the call center telling us to contact Avianca airport to have them change what's on the system, otherwise, our reservation remains cancelled. Even after we got Avianca at the airport to put in the system that we can reschedule, the call center still refuses to reschedule for us.
RouteSan Francisco to Managua via El salvador
Date FlownMay 2022

"I had booked a vegetarian meal, it was inedible"

(Chile)

Trip Verified | On short flight we had a nice wrap, very tasty but cold, warmed would be better. On the long haul I had booked a vegetarian meal, it was inedible. No salt or flavouring, just boiled pasta with two pieces of overcooked carrot and zucchini. I had no dessert which others did have, and was not meat! Why do they think vegetarians are sick and can't eat salt or pudding? Breakfast was a wrap with mushrooms, that was OK but why do they not give vegetarians a bread roll and just a dry cracker?
RouteSantiago to London via Bogota

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | The worst airline company I've ever had to deal with. Avoid at all costs! First, they lost my luggage on the flight from Toronto to San Jose. I received my luggage on the third day on the night of my 6-day trip. Terrible customer service, had to wait for hours in the airport to talk to a representative to file my missing luggage. Second, on the way back, when we arrived at the airport at 3 am, they notified us that our flight is full! This is ridiculous, it's not a bus, we bought tickets for the flight in advance, how can it be full? All they could offer as compensation is 80USD which can only be redeemed at their horrible company, which is totally useless, cause I will never fly with them again. Hope you find this review before you buy tickets and think seven times if you want to deal with this company. p.s. their fleet is very old.
RouteSan Jose to Toronto, via Bogota
Date FlownMay 2022

"customer service is just terrible"

Trip Verified | I took Avianca from Bogota to New York on an overnight flight. The seats did not recline at all, there was no screen on the seat and the legroom was terribly tight (and I’m an average size person - 5’8” and 165 pounds). The plane we took was different from the one advertised when we booked - had I known I wouldn’t have booked with Avianca. Further, the food is terrible - it’s a small sandwich with white cheese and a piece of tomato with water and coffee on the sides no options, no proteins, no other drinks offered. Finally, customer service is just terrible. They differed me to a What’s App chat or a messenger chat (I tried both) and neither even responded to the message. Bottom line is, don’t trust anything you read on their website and keep your expectations at absolute minimum (you won’t have to stand on the flight).
RouteSao Paulo to Bogota via New York
Date FlownMay 2022

"taken the money from my account"

Trip Verified | Flying to El Salvador and coming back to the LAX round-trip through Avianca. I had paid for my dad's seats and mine and a check in bag through Avianca website which offers you a great discount. I got to the airport the day of my flight thinking everything is paid for and the surprise was that they have no record of my payment but of course Avianca have taken the money from my account. I show the person that was helping me the transaction from my account and he said I need to make a claim and I need to pay for my check in luggage because they have no record, therefore while he was explaining me there is a worker who was very rude and told me with an very bad attitude "we can't do anything for you, the luggage needs to be pay for or go to the website and make a claim or go to the Avianca website there is a return button so you can get your money back, and told the guy that was helping me "if she doesn't wanna pay stop helping her and move the line". I asked for the manager which she told me nicely that I need to make a claim. I have sent 2 emails and I haven't gotten a response yet when I called customer service I could only get my money back through the website I sent one is Spanish and one in English and through this day still waiting, what kind of service is this?
RouteEl Salvador to Los Angeles

"I'll never fly these people2

Trip Verified | I booked a flight with Avianca. I got confirmation saying my payment was approved with a booking code along with an Eitinerary. I called yesterday May 17th to select my seat only to find out I did not have a ticket. They told me I needed to contact my bank. My bank told me & sent me transaction that my purchase was approved on their end & basically the airline did not do their part. So this whole entire time for a couple months I thought I had a ticket only to find out I did not have a ticket a week before my flight. Needless to say I'll never fly these people. My bank has refunded my money because they see that the Avianca did not do their part. So needless to say I won't be going on this trip now
RouteMiami to Bogata
Date FlownMay 2022

"I was asked for private information"

Not Verified | My boyfriend and I were traveling from Bogota to Madrid when we were stopped by the boarding stuff and asked for detailed information about our exit to Madrid. My boyfriend showed them the flight number from Madrid to Paris, which was for 1 day after the current flight and then I was asked for my return tickets to Chile, my home country. I found strange that the staff of an airline asked for that type of information. Anyway, I answered the question, saying that I will travel from Paris to India afterwards. It was then when I was asked for my flight from Paris to India, even though I wasn't flying with them! The excuse they gave to me was that they must ask to any tourist for their return tickets or after destinations. My boyfriend from Ireland wasn't asked at all, whereas I was asked for private information. I went to their website and isn't mentioned that the staff has the authority to ask for further information. For me, was an insult. Also, the stuff was rude, in particular the lady that typed the info on the PC.
RouteBogota to Madrid
Date FlownMay 2022

"Will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Terrible costumer service. To every question you ask the answer is “I don’t know”. When we got to Costa Rica, my travel companion’s luggage was nowhere to be found. One of the Avianca rep’s gave us the claim form and disappeared. No one showed up to collect the form for over 2 hours so we left. It’s been over a month and still no word on the luggage nor they have compensated for it. Will never fly with them again.
RouteNew York to San Jose
Date FlownApril 2022

"they still haven't refunded me"

Trip Verified | I bought a fully refundable ticket with Avianca on 17th March 2020. On 2nd April 2022, they finally got around to refunding me on 2nd April 2022, but it had been so long since I bought it, that the bank account I bought it in had closed. I sent them proof of this and proof of the fact the bank's clear policy is to return payments to sender when an account is closed but yet they still refuse to refund me. They say the bank needs to send me a letter, which the bank does not do anymore. Avianca refuse to show me evidence that the payment has not been returned like they claim. They are being highly unreasonable requesting a letter regardless of the fact I have sent them a bank closure statement and their policy on returned payments. Their service has been pitiful from start to finish. Don't ever pay more for a refundable ticket as it will take you more than two years battling to get it back. And they still haven't refunded me.
RouteLondon to Santa Marta via Bogota
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Total surprise and disappointment!"

Not Verified | There are no business cabins or seats at all but the airline sold the tickets as business class. The seats are just premium seats in a small plane. No service at all let alone business class services. Total waste of money. This must be a fraudulent business practice. I have travelled in business class with Turkish Airlines. There must be a standard to verify the seats/services for a business class as Avianca claims. The airline advertises and sells “premium economy class” tickets as “business class”, which is fraudulent and nonprofessional practice. There is no business class boarding either. Total surprise and disappointment! Do not use this airline.
RouteNew York JFK to São Paulo via Bogota