Avianca

"I hate this airline"

Trip Verified | Houston to El Salvador. Our flight was at 355pm and it is now 545pm. We have been stuck in this plane for hours and nothing looks promising. This is unacceptable and it's a horrible situation to be in. I hate this airline.
RouteHouston to El Salvador
Date FlownDecember 2019

"gave me nonsense options"

Trip Verified | La Paz to Bogota. Late again. They delayed for about two hours and didn't give any type of compensation for this (not that a bottle of water or a snack matters to me, but shouldn't a reputable airline do the minimum to show that at least they care?). I was notified by email that the airline would be departing late, so I arrived later to the airport accordingly as the departure time was around 2 AM and wanted to rest a bit more at home. When I reached the airport about 2 AM, counter was closed already and wasn't sure what was going on. I was standing in line and no body came to assist me until I walked to the counter. I was told the staff finished their work and couldn't check my bag, so they offered to send me without my luggage or the next day. Either option was not workable for me as I don't live there and had to take three other flights after this one. I was upset as they didn't put a real effort in helping me and only gave me nonsense options. I talked to another person in the counter who didn't help much in the beginning, but after some begging, she reluctantly called in and thankfully the police agreed to check my bag. I was put in high stress as I had to figure out what to do in case the police wouldn't check my bag. My next flight after AV was with Lufthansa, which was late one hour, but they apologized at least three times throughout the flight. I didn't hear any apologies from AV and they wanted to send me without my bag (do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?) I hope they step up their customer service game (ground service) The plane was actually a nice one as it is still a new one with decent entertainment system. I visit LP a few times a year and find the BOG connection convenient. I will still give them a chance as they are part of Star Alliance. But if problems persist, I will need to take another airline.
RouteLa Paz to Bogota
Date FlownDecember 2019

"will never fly Avianca again"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | São Paulo to Fort Lauderdale via Bogotá. I booked Avianca cause it was cheaper then flying American or LATAM Brazil. So my flight from São Paulo to Bogota was scheduled to depart at 12:45 AM, so I got on the plane, I flew business class, but when I sat down on my seat (1A), they didn’t serve a single peanut for the whole 5 hour flight to Bogotá. The seats, which were in business class barely reclined and were not comfortable. And this is the 1st airline I’ve flown on that didn’t let me use their in-flight entertainment system or the stow-away TV. So I wanted to use the tv before takeoff, but there were way too many ads that you couldn’t skip and before takeoff the flight attendant made me put the tv away. So I slept a bit, but I couldn’t sleep that much because I couldn’t get comfortable, and my phone had no battery, so I tried to get the tv, but the flight attendant came out of nowhere and told me to put it away. The 2nd flight from Bogota to Fort Lauderdale was better but the flight attendant didn’t speak much English so we couldn’t really communicate and I was sitting in my seat (1C) and they gave food - the 2 food options were an omelette and some mozzarella thing, so I asked for the mozzarella thing, but she gave me the omelette, which was disgusting. I was thirsty so I asked a flight attendant for water, but she never came back, so I called another flight attendant and she got me some water. So we arrived at FLL but when I got to baggage claim, they (Avianca) lost one of my bags! I will never fly Avianca again!
RouteSão Paulo to Fort Lauderdale via Bogotá

"Frustrated and disappointed"

Not Verified | Bogota to La Paz. Frustrated and disappointed at Avianca's cancellation. I was flying from Paris to Bolivia, connecting thru Frankfurt and Bogota. My first flights were with Lufthansa and last one with Avianca. I took with this airline because it is part of Star Alliance and wanted a streamlined process while getting some miles. I had a long day as Paris was on strike and almost missed my flights, but LH managed to take us to our destinations. When I reach BOG for my last flight, I was surprised to see the cancelled flight. This is frustrating for me as I will be spending less than a week with my family in Bolivia and taking away a day from me means significantly. I'll still give them a chance in the future as I had high views on this airline, but it is starting to change and I hope they can keep up with the brand name and airline alliance reputation. I was given with a new ticket and a hotel voucher ... but I can't give them credit for that as that's what they are supposed to do. This compensation means nothing as reaching my destination on time was more important.
RouteBogota to La Paz
Date FlownDecember 2019

"never fly with Avianca again"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Cusco to Rio de janeiro via Lima. Because whats happened in Bolivia and that my governmnet warned me from going there I had to cancel the Lima to La Pas part. The warning came just the day before my trip and I could not get in contact with them until I was in Lima. I went to the counter in Lima and ask If there was any problem to do that, they said Its no problem and I can use this part of the trip within a year. This morning when I came to the airport they could not find my booking and they could not help me in the counter at all, had to ask the tourist office to help me call them, and after 2 hours telephone queue I got to know that they canceled my ticket and the only thing they could to is to help me to write a complain about that they didn't inform me about this. It would take 7 days before I would get any answer and maybe a new ticket. I have another flight from Rio tomorrow evening so had to book a new ticket and pay 600 euro. I would never fly with Avianca again.
RouteCusco to Rio de janeiro via Lima

"avoid at all cost"

Not Verified | London to Lima via Bogota. Cancelled our flight 1 day before departure. Delayed our flight out to Bogota but didn't update our connection flight to Lima. Struggled to get a refund confirmed, even after getting a refund request submitted we've been told to wait indefinitely until they process it. They don't know how long this will take! Ridiculous. We've then had to buy new flights last minute to get to Lima on time to make sure our itinerary isn't disrupted. Original flight cost £808 for two people. New flights have now cost us £1,450 for two people and we don't even know when we'll get our original flight refund back! Terrible service, avoid at all cost.
RouteLondon to Lima via Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2019

"The flight got cancelled"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Cartagena. The flight got cancelled due to "weather conditions", while we were informed, we could see the viva colombia take off to Cartagena in the Back through the nice glass of the airport. After this cancellation by higher forces, we were put on hold and finally booked to a flight 4 hours later. The flight was packed and on top we lost the business class status and had not only to travel Economy, furthermore we got a middle seat each of us, one in the left, one in the right row of the seats. When I asked for a compensation due to the loss of the status I was told that it was not possible but at the same time we would be charged an additional fee, cause the switch to another flight was considered a change of the reservation which we would need to pay for. I feel frauded, we did not even get a better meal or anything as a compensation. So we travelled economy for business class price, without being able to choose seats, sit next to each other, or even have any of the benefits other business class passengers would get on the flight. Ground personnel seemed rather helpless and overwhelmed with the situation, even unable (or unwilling) to at least provide us a contact, where we could address our claims to in the aftermath. They only advised us, to use the contact function on their webpage, which I tried, but did not function (the link was dead) Concerning the flight itself, the seats were normal, the inflight entertainment in my seat was broken. All Avianca employees were extraordinary polite and nice but in the same level overwhelmed and unable to provide useful information or solutions.
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"customer support shockingly bad"

Trip Verified | I was traveling in Colombia and have booked multiples of internal and international flights and a number of things happened in the space of 4 weeks with this particular airline. I booked internal flights and international flights where I’ve a ‘confirmation email’ that clearly states that payment was successful. On the day of the flight, my details did not appear and they couldn’t care less. They even say, book a different airline (one of their competitors). They are meant to be premium economy and part of Star alliance but their service isn’t up to scratch. The budget airline Viva gave me fantastic service and even helped me quickly and efficiently. So if you’re a foreigner, stay less than 60 days and flying out of the country. You can request to be refunded the airport tax at check in. Which I did, I have a transaction reference and they said it will go back on my card. It didn’t so I reached out to customer service who basically told me a spiral of lies including ‘my card company is withholding the transaction’ and tried to fob me off. I still insisted and they said they can’t refund me as that has to be done on ground level. But I requested this and it’s Avianca as a company responsibility to ensure my refund is processed. It went back and forth - still ongoing but they are saying they can’t give it me even though I did what I needed to do which was request it at check in. So this lies with aviancas staff mistakes and they won’t accept or resolve this. They’ve changed my flight times without telling me which meant I almost missed my flight. Customer service both on ground level and customer support via emails are shockingly bad. Avoid them and use other airlines like Latam and Viva Air - at least the budget airline treats you better than this fake premium economy.
RouteMedellin to Rio via Lima
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I don't recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Washington to El Salvador. Both of my husband's flights were delayed, when flying to El Salvador and when flying back to Washington, the flight was delayed by 9 hours going to El Salvador and 4 hours coming back to Washington! In both times the reason according to them was because of technical problems, which I don't believe. I don't recommend this airline
RouteWashington to El Salvador

Avianca customer review

(Chile)

Trip Verified | More than 4 months ago we bought plane tickets to fly to Havana from Santiago. The original date was November 16 and return on the 23rd of the same month. We bought for that date because we will participate in a congress. We called to Avianca November 5th and they said to us that they change our ticket unilaterally, the new date is November 17 and returns on the 22nd on the same month. I explained to them that this date did not serve me since I lost two days of course and two days of hotel but they were not able to offer me any solution besides that they do not want to reimburse the money thay we spend for those two days me for the hotel and the course.
RouteSantiago to Havana