Avianca

"didn’t receive the ticket"

(Panama)

Not Verified | Medellin to Barcelona. Only 2 seats were available at that overseas flight. We bought them online. We should received electronic ticket before 8 hours according to the reservation conditions. We didn’t receive anything. We called several times the call center and when to a sales office. First time, Call center told us to wait 18 hours. After that time we didn’t receive the electronic ticket. Sales office couldn’t tell us the status. It was not possible to buy another ticket in another flight as they still were validating. We called again call center and told us that we should wait until the day of the flight to know if the payment when through (we complained as this is out contract conditions). Finally, 24 hours later they cancelled the booking. They, even, didn’t try to process the payment as the bank didn't send any failed attempt (as they usually send when there is any error). Finally, we checked for the same tickets and they were 1200 USD more expensive. We bought a different one for 600 USD more expensive. Obviously, they wanted to make sure to sell those tickets and to sell them to the higher price.
RouteMedellin to Barcelona
Date FlownAugust 2019

"noticed a decline in the quality"

Trip Verified | San Salvador to San Francisco. I have flown Avianca many times and have noticed a decline in the quality of their services. I usually travel business class from SFO-SAL-SFO - the last time on August 11 of this year. On the SFO/SAL leg of my trip I took AV 565 (an early morning flight) in business class and, while the crew was attentive and the seat relatively comfortable, the food was atrocious. We had no choice of meal as they ran out of a second option (there were only 12 business class passengers) and wound up eating some sort of a omelette burrito stuffed with bacon which was just inedible. I have had better meals in Economy. Once we landed, my bags took for ever to be delivered at the carousel even though they had the "priority" tag (I saw plenty of other bags from the same flight without the priority tags before mine turned up). On the SAL/SFO leg of my trip (AV 560), the plane - an A320- had old recliner seats (the sort one sees in domestic first class for 1 hour trips). The entertainment selection lacked personalized screens AND the music channels were not operational - this was a long 5 and half hours flight, so the combination of a relatively old and uncomfortable seat, paucity of choice for movies and no music at all made it for a particularly boring time. I might add that the food offering was also mediocre: we were offered some nuts with a drink prior to the meal (not warmed up, either) which consisted of a choice of chicken, beef or vegetarian selection. Thie beef was tough and flavorless (no matter how much salt and pepper I poured on it) and was followed by a mediocre mousse-like dessert. Again, the experience was salvaged by the attentive and nice flight attendant which, on both legs, were the only positive aspects of the experience aboard Avianca. i would not recommend that anyone spend the 60,000 miles required for a round trip from SF0/SAL on Avianca. One barely gets the sort of service expected during a short domestic hop; old seats lacking the bells and whistles of modern business class, horrible food and indifferent luggage handling for priority tagged bags. Not worth either the $$ or the miles.
Aircraftairbus 320
RouteSan Salvador to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Both flights were delayed"

(Colombia)

Not Verified | Took flights with Avianca from Cali to Bogotá to Valledupar. Both flights were delayed by more than 1h,r lounge in Bogotá ran out of food quickly at around 13:30. Very basic food and beverages. In short, I only take Avianca if there's no other choice, and from Cali that's usually the case. Flights are ridiculously expensive as well.
RouteValledupar to Bogota via Cali
Date FlownAugust 2019

"kindness of Avianca crew member "

Not Verified | I am very grateful for the kindness of an Avianca crew member on the ground in the Havana airport who helped me save an artwork that I had purchased in Cuba but that was confiscated by the customs personnel at Havana airport. This man would not let me go back to the departure gate to check my carry-on bag so that I would not have to discard the artwork even though there was lots of time before our flight was to depart. I asked the Avianca staff person at the gate for help, and she went to customs, got the artwork out of the trash, had me put it in my carry-on, and helped me check in the bag. She went out of her way to help me. Unfortunately, the piece had been broken when it was tossed out, but I am hoping I can fix it. Also, at SFO I missed the last subway train home because it took 90 minutes for our luggage to be unloaded, but that's not Avianca's fault - it's because SFO makes them park very far away from the terminal.
RouteHavana to San Francisco via Bogota
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Horrible staff"

Trip Verified | Bogota to New York. Horrible staff, I was sick with a doctors note and was ordered to lay down. Flight attendant would pester me to move and after a bit of arguing she responded with “Ok, I’ll Let you stay but I won’t give you food.” And I stayed the whole 7 hour flight without food or drinks. As well as they handled my luggage very poorly.
RouteBogota to New York
Date FlownJuly 2019

"flight was quite satisfying"

Not Verified | Munich to Bogota. All in all this flight was quite satisfying and on time. There's a wide range of entertainment available, even in German. I ordered vegan meals, what gave me the benefit to receive my meals first. Unfortunately my "breakfast" (10 AM time of origin) consisted of tofu with soy and vegetables. The staff were quite rude when I asked for something else.
RouteMunich to Bogota
Date FlownApril 2019

"staff is very rude"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Miami via Bogota. The staff is very rude. They have no training in customer service it seems. The supervisor gave me wrong information and when I called customer service the agent said that he was sorry but there was nothing he could do if one of their staff gave me wrong information. They do not own up to any mistake they make. I will not be flying with them ever again.
RouteCusco to Miami via Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2019

"miracle they’re still in business"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Lima to Bogota. Avianca ruined the first and last day of my holiday. My husband and I were flying from Lima to Cusco direct. When I tried to check in online the day before the flight, the system said, please try again later or check in at the airport. After a few more tries, we decided to check in at the airport. When we arrived there however, they told us there were no seats for us as the flight was overbooked. The service was horrible, no excuses, nothing, just you can’t fly. We were booked on a flight much later in the day with a stop in Lima, so we arrived 10 hours later than planned in Cusco. All we got was a 60USD voucher to use in a next Avianca flight! Coming back we flew direct from Lima to Bogota in the afternoon. I checked in online and thought that for sure, everything would go smoothly this time. How wrong I was. The night before our flight we went out with friends for cocktails, when we arrived back in the hotel I had an e-mail from avianca, send just before 1am to tell me there were changes to my booking. Apparently we now had to fly at 11am, 6 hours earlier than we were supposed to. We tried contacting call centers, but nobody answered. Just a computer who told us that the afternoon flight was still confirmed. When I checked our booking however, we were checked in for the early flight! Nobody asked us if this was convenient, if we could even make it. As my husband needed to really be back for work the following day, we took the early flight as we couldn’t risk not flying at all that day. We had however very little sleep and no chance to say goodbye to my brother, who lives in Lima and who I hadn’t seen in over 6 months. At the airport again no excuses or explanation whatsoever. The flight left with almost 2 hours delay. I will not fly with aviance again, I will prefer to pay more, or even prefer a layover, at least I will not have to be stressed in advance and be able to get on the flight I pay for! I have heard the company is doing really bad and no wonder, it’s a miracle they’re still in business to this day.
RouteLima to Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2019

"one bad excuse after another"

Not Verified | San Andres to Cartagena. Avianca cancelled our flights so we applied for a refund against our ticket numbers. After a week or two I get an email telling me that my application had accidentally been closed, and was provided with 2 random ticket numbers to start a new refund application with. Stupid of me not to ask whether these ticket numbers were already assigned to someone else As it turns out the money was eventually paid, except not to me. They were paid to someone who's card details I never provided and have never seen before. But somehow with my name against it. Since then, Avianca have ignored every single one of my emails completely and when I call, I get one bad excuse after another and it's made clear that they have no intention of helping me get my money back. I'm seeking legal advice.
RouteSan Andres to Cartagena
Date FlownMarch 2019

"staff was friendly"

Trip Verified | Cartagena to Bogota. Most people only review when they have a bad experience with an airline. I have had several pleasurable flights with this airline within last month, including long haul from Bogota to Barcelona. This particular flight was on time, the staff was friendly and spoke good English. Boarding and disembarking went smoothly and without issues. Passengers were offered free tea and coffee during the flight.
RouteCartagena to Bogota