Avianca

"never fly with Avianca again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bogota. The night before, I got an email requesting to check in with their “web check-in”, so I did. After the web check-in, Avianca sent an email with my boarding pass stating “If you only have carry-on luggage, please go directly to the boarding gate.” I only had carry on luggage, so I went directly to Terminal 3 as my boarding pass stated. After passing extensive security at Terminal 3, I looked for Avianca booths or staff but I couldn’t find any. After asking around, airport staff directed me on a shuttle bus to Terminal 2. Once I got to Terminal 2, airport staff redirected me to Terminal B. Once I got to Terminal B, airport staff said my boarding gate had not been assigned yet because it wasn’t on the monitor yet, but it would be departing from one of the gates in the same room we were in and my flight should be on one of the monitors in that section in a couple hours as it got closer to the departure time. I was in the departure area where I was told it would depart from 38 minutes before it was scheduled to depart and 51 minutes before it did depart but there weren’t any planes departing to BOG and my flight wasn’t anywhere on the monitor it was supposed to be. Airport staff didn’t see it on the monitor either. I went to two other airport staff and one of them looked up my flight with an app on his phone. Terminal 3 was listed as the departure gate so he told me I needed to go there. I took the shuttle bus back to Terminal 3, but there weren’t any Avianca booths or staff so I went over to an Alaska Airlines booth. The lady tried to help me but wasn’t able to see any Avianca departing gate info from her computer. She told me to go to the Avianca front desk outside of Terminal 3 security checkpoint. By the time I got to the Avianca front desk it was too late to get through security fast enough to make my flight. The Avianca supervisor told me there was a flight to BOG 26 hours later but that she couldn’t wave the rescheduling fee but that customer service may be able to. There shouldn’t have been a charge since I did everything I was instructed to do by Avianca, but she told me I should have checked in at the Avianca front desk before going through the security checkpoint at Terminal 3. I showed her my email from Avianca with my boarding pass instructing me to “go directly to the boarding gate” but she had no response. The supervisor then connected me to customer service to discuss possibly waiving the rescheduling fee. After talking with customer service and being on hold several times, totaling about 2 hours, they provided no alternative besides paying around $1,300 for the next day flight change. I decided not to pay an extra $1,300 to an airline for their mistakes and bought a $400 ticket back home to Seattle with a different airline. I Should have never been provided the web check-in option and told to bypass the Avianca front desk if Avianca provides no reliable way to find the correct departure gate. The flight AV89 should have been displayed on the monitors in Terminal B with all of the other flights. Avianca’s incompetence cost me about $1,600 total and tons of wasted time. I tried to resolve this through Avianca’s dispute resolution process, but they made me jump through endless hoops, accidentally closing my case many times. This lasted about 6 months and never solved anything. I will never fly with Avianca again if I can help it.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogota
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Avoid Avianca like the plague"

Trip Verified | Abysmal and totally incompetent. From the conduct and service of the staff, down to the organisation and contingency planning of the airlines management. It really does beggar belief that this airline is operational. My flight was cancelled, they kept us all waiting in complete oblivion and when they did make an announcement, it was in Spanish. The flight is going to LHR, don’t you think a translation to English would be fair? Avoid Avianca like the plague. I despise this airline so much I’ll even go so far as to avoid El Dorado airport all together.
RouteCusco to London via Bogotá

"Thank you so much"

(Belize)

Not Verified | Belize City to Panama City via San Salvador. Unfortunately, I don't have the email of Mr Alpuche and his staff. I had an issue with my passport and thanks to the Avianca Belize team professionalism, patience and willigness to help, I was able to travel to Panama and attend a very important yearly event held by my employer. It could have been easier to say "it's not possible" but fortunately, you went the extra mile, contacted all the key personnel and made it happen. Thank you so much to the Avianca team.
RouteBelize City to Panama City via San Salvador
Date FlownJune 2019

"bump you and change your seat"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Medellin. Trash airline. Avoid flying with this airline. If you pay for a seat located near row 11, they may bump you and change your seat to row 37, the 2nd row from the bathroom. And for proof I will include pics.
RouteBogota to Medellin

"Avoid this airline!"

(El Salvador)

Trip Verified | Lima to San Salvador. Avoid this airline! Our flight was delayed for four hours, then delayed again for two hours. We missed our tour in Quito. Avianca changed our flight for the next day, but then this flight was cancelled. They gave us a flight the following day. We lost two days of our vacation and spent 120USD on taxes. Avianca gave us a credit of 57USD. Avianca is a joke and should be avoided
RouteLima to San Salvador
Date FlownMay 2019

"Never had a good experience"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Bogota to Bucaramanga. I have flown all over the world in more than 40 countries. I have never seen such a nasty service. Mean, nasty people, who want to annoy you. Absolutely no kindness ever not since 1966 when I took them at 6 yo. I fly with them only because I do not pay for my ticket, my customers do. Never ever had a good experience with them. Just fact.
RouteBogota to Bucaramanga
Date FlownMay 2019

"avoid this airline"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Guayaquil. Only use this airline when you absolutely have no other choices! Booking ticket on their website was easy. However, the system changed my flights a couple times before my actual departure, which was confusing. Check-in counter opened late. Ground staff were extremely unfriendly and yelled at me for simply requesting aisle seat. For many other airlines, a passenger can request for preferred seat at check-in, but for Avianca a passenger needs to contact call center 24 hours before departure or check in online to self select the seat. That's what the ground staff told me in stern voice. Since most staff were spending time yelling at passengers, that's why the service was very slow. Such a low service standard in my opinion. Cabin crew provided similar level of service - poor. I was sitting at emergency exit row, but the cabin crew failed to inform me of safety procedure. Their mindset around safety were questionable. Also, a cabin crew didn't offer me food until I asked to be served. What kind of service is this?!?! Boarding was slow and delayed resulting in tiny delay in all flights. Poor to zero in-flight entertainment. Dirty seat and toilet. Old aircraft. Awful food. Again, avoid this airline!
RouteLos Angeles to Guayaquil
Date FlownMarch 2019

"catering is close to non existent"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bogota. 4.5 hour delay. Plans changed and trip cancelled: Had a Lima to Cuzco on another airline on same day of arrival and lost my ticket. Had to buy another ticket. Still waiting 3 weeks later to see if Avianca will compensate me with anything. On board catering is close to non existant. Late dinner, small portions. Worst of all no breakfast or snack with a good coffee before landing. That was a 7 hour flight! Inadmissible. Can't make up my mind yet if I should give them another chance. It will depend if they compensate for the extra money I had to spend to fly to the sacred valley.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogota
Date FlownApril 2019

"pleased with the flight"

Trip Verified | Washington to San Salvador. I was very pleased with the flight. Since we arrived the check in was quick and pleasent. The staff at check in were very friendly and helpful. The flight attendants were all very professional and attentive. It was the best experience .
RouteWashington to San Salvador
Date FlownMarch 2019

"The worst airline"

Trip Verified | Medellin to New York. The worst airline. The staff very disorganized and unkind. The old planes and the entertainment equipment (tvs) damaged. The airline lies to its customers and fail their problems. Do yourself a fly with another airline. Lo peor cómo aerolínea. El personal muy desorganizado y poco gentil. Los aviones viejos y los equipos de entretenimiento ( tvs) dañados. La aerolínea miente a sus clientes y fallan a sus problemas. Hágase un favor viaje con otra línea.
RouteMedellin to New York