Avianca

"This is a terrible airline"

Not Verified | This is a terrible airline. I have Global Entry, TSA pre-check. When I went to go through that line in Miami I was told there was something wrong with my boarding pass and I had to go stand on the line at the counter and get it fixed - I was never told what was wrong. When I got to the counter they literally shut down every single window to have a 20 minute "morning meeting". They had about 60 people in the line and completely shut the whole operation down for this "meeting". When I got to the counter I was issued a new boarding pass with no explanation as to what the problem was. On my return flight back all I had with me was a carry-on for me and a carry-on for my son. They told me I could pay $100 a bag to carry them on or $80 to check them on the plane! Absolutely nuts but there is nothing you can do as you are at their mercy. The one positive thing I can say is that the flights were on time - nothing else. The food was absolutely terrible and the customer service reps at the counter are rude. When I tried to add bags on line on their website before the flight it was absolutely impossible to do so. To try to call them and talk to a human was also impossible. I will never fly Avianca again.
RouteMiami to Guatemala
Date FlownApril 2022

"staff aren’t kind or polite at all"

Trip Verified | Avianca went from being one of the best airlines in Latin America to the very bottom of the list. The website and the App don’t have enough information or they don’t work, neither in Spanish nor English. Calling to the customer service department or talking to an agent is impossible. The lines are busy no matter what time I called and when you finally communicate with someone, the call gets cut. Tried to communicate with a representative for a week without success. I tried to purchase an extra piece of luggage before a flight and it was impossible, they said they couldn’t sell it to me and I’d have to pay in the airport where the costs is 3 times more expensive. This airline shouldn’t be operating. It’s abusive, their staff aren’t kind or polite at all and the fares aren’t even cheap. What a mess!
RouteMedellin to New York
Date FlownMay 2022

"subject to change and no refund"

Trip Verified | They are the only airline to offer nonstop flights to countries south of the US. They have changed their regulations where if you purchase a seat reservation or any additional service they are subject to change and no refund. They change flight schedules with no accommodating alternative. You can purchase a flight for 4 am and they will cancel and reissue a ticket for a flight at 6pm leaving you arriving at your destination past midnight. I purchased my flight and seats well before the time of my travel they issued me a new ticket as part of their schedule change but also gave the seats I purchased to different people putting my issued seat to the rear of the aircraft I called complained they said its all subject to change and availability but those seats should not have been "available" if they were purchased.
RouteSan Pedro Sula to San Salvador
Date FlownMay 2022

"Charged me twice without refunding"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Charged me twice without refunding my money. Then when I tried to contact them they just ignore me. When trying to go to there physically, non of their representatives spoke English or able to help , they just give you other phone or email which will get you to nowhere. You should know that once you have credit charge problems you are on your own especially if you don’t speak Spanish.
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"One of the worst service"

Trip Verified | Do not use this airline. We made an even bigger mistake by paying for business class flight! One of the worst service. Please don't waste your money. At least make us feel like it is worth the money. First of all, they don't even call boarding for business class. Both flights we had to go up front and ask if we can board yet since they are boarding the masses first. Then in El Salvador, the guy checking the tickets even made it a point to avoid us. In flight meal from SFO to SJO, a 5.5 hr flight was a soggy sandwich, a water bottle, a tiny bag of chips and nuts. No other drinks available other than coffee, coke and apple juice (like the one you get in the hospital). Seriously I hope you read this before throwing your money away on this airline.
AircraftA320 / A319
RouteSan Francisco to San Jose via San Salvador
Date FlownMay 2022

"It's all money and bad service all around"

Not Verified | We are absolutely livid with Avianca's service! We bought our flights to El Salvador - 6 family members. Upon arrival to our terminal 1+ hour before the flight, we and about 20 passengers were told the flight was fully booked and that we need to purchase another flight to get to our destination. Everyone was so upset! We purchased our flights again and put them on a credit card, a huge extra expense! That delayed us 4+ hours to our destination. On our way back we were told that only 4 of the 6 family members had tickets to come back home and that the other two were not on their "list" of passengers - note that we bought all 6 tickets together. The 2 family members that stayed were delayed another day and had to stay at the airport and wait. We live over 73 miles from the international airport. We came home and now must drive back tonight to pick them up. That's 219+ miles counting our way back home last night. Who's going to pay for our gas? The inconvenience? The fact that 2 people had to miss work today because the airline did not have them on their "list"? This is ridiculous! On top of that, it's $80 per checked bag, about $25 if you want to sit at a window, and everything in between is an extra charge. It's all money and bad service all around. We will never fly with Avianca again! No responsibility at all! And now I have to figure out how to get our money back for the initial flights bought that we were not used because they overbooked a flight. The charge is there but the flights were not taken.
RouteLos Angeles, CA to El Salvador
Date FlownApril 2022

"not going to be permitted on the plane"

Trip Verified | I bought a ticket with Avianca April 1st 2022, to travel April 21st 2022, their policies I could Make changes two or so hours prior boarding which they did not honor even thought I tried changing my flight about 12 hours prior, with that being said, they did not communicate with me about the Covid requirements until 40 or so hours prior the boarding time, I had made my research that I needed test completed 72 hours prior landing to my destination and that I could send my results within 36 hours prior boarding which I did. My test exactly at the 72 hours prior landing to my destination so I could get my results within 36 hours after the test time frame, however at the 36 hours marks before boarding which is only about 24 hours after my test, I received an email stating that I was not going to be permitted on the plane, which is when I started to attempt to change my flight, I was notified by 5 different agents plus a supervisor that I had to pay 200 USD, plus the difference which after calculating it was only 350 USD however why did the total was coming up to over 600 USD, when asked them about it they couldn’t give me an answer. Then I looked for different dates and the fares that were given to me kept getting more expensive than that fares advertised in their sites. I’ve sent two complaints to their site and somehow now their customer service complaints is not working, then I tried calling several times and they hang up the phone.
RouteLos Angeles to Managua via San Salvador
Date FlownApril 2022

"terrible unprofessional customer service"

Not Verified | I booked a return flight for my family (2 adults, 2 children) from London to Bogota. Flight from London was cancelled at the last minute, after we drove 3 hours to the airport (system said it was all ok). Avianca left us to chase public buses in the night to go to the mediocre hotel they provided. In-flight "meal" was a nasty "toastie" with fried onion and greasy cheese, gross. Who eats this on a transatlantic flight!, next "meal" : a wrap with broccoli (very popular with children) eith a nasty spicy curry goo. I asked an alternative for my children (9 and 12) and was given a baby food jar! Apalling. Return portion Bogota-London. Received many emails asking me to pay to "upgrade", what I did not get was any email telling me they has kicked us out if the flight as they oversold over 30 seats! Customer service desk is a circus, completely unprofessional people who do not give a damn to leave a family with 2 tired children stranded at the airport. They kicked other people out of the flight next day to fit us in surely to tell them the same rubbish they told us "they are allowed to sell more seats than available" and we have to just accept. They offered a half-mouthed "apology" and a lousy "compensation" that does not cover the loss of earnings and disruption to our arrangements, children missing school, transport, extra airport parking, even extra pet care back home. 2 flights with Avianca, 2 terrible experiences. Shame because it used to be a good airline, now it is not capable of providing the basics (a flight at the time and date booked), terrible unprofessional customer service, awful (disgusting) in flight food, they have gone to the bottom of the bottom. Avoid at all costs, don't bother. As a Colombian, I'm ashamed that the national airline has fallen this far.
RouteLondon to Bogota
Date FlownApril 2022

"They are not willing to help you"

Trip Verified | Very bad customer service. My family and I traveled abroad (traveling with minors) and requested to seat together and they told us that the fight was full could not accommodate us unless I pay extra fee. I went only and was able to change it. They are not willing to help you.
RouteWashington to San Salvador
Date FlownApril 2022

"same category in order to be refundable"

Not Verified | I purchased the ticket via Avianca, to go visit my mother. I uploaded covid test and also the form required within 36 hours. I arrived at the airport to find out that my name was not on the list to travel to Managua. The customer's service did not offer any help to resolve the issue that day we were about 25, people who did not fly to their destination. So sad that airlines take advantage of people. I am trying to go to Nicaragua again in May I Purchased a ticket and I selected it to be refundable and I found today that both tickets need to be in the same category in order to be refundable but no information saying both need to be the same category in order to be refunded before is a purchase. Unfortunately is the only airline flying to Managua otherwise I will use a different airline.
RouteMiami to Managua