Avianca

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | This was the worst flight experience in my whole life.   It started with getting an email stating our flight is getting rescheduled 5 hours before departure. Our flight had one stop at SAL, and the new rescheduled flight arrived later than the next one departed. The email stated that I need to either confirm a new flight or “easily manage your change”. None of the links worked.  I've tried to reach out to Avianca's customer support to get further instructions and raise concerns about the situation. Calling the number resulted in numerous minutes waiting and listening to a verbatim, and when finally selected to talk to a representative, call hanged up every time. The bot in WhatsApp is useless the same way: neither way to sort out rescheduling issue nor talking to the representative.  In half an hour I've got another rescheduling message stating that instead of a trip with one stop and about 7 hours long trip it transformed into 31+ hour long trip with 2 stops including one overnight. No questions about whether it fits were asked. No ways to sort it out as well.   Considering that there's no real customer support, my wife and I decided to go to airport and maybe find anyone there to shed the light on the situation. In the airport, we've met the whole line of confused people with the same issues we encountered. The lady on the counter even tried to charge us for not being checked-in and selected seats. Luckily, we've managed to convince her that it's all a big mistake. Asked her multiple times about the logistics of our luggage, and we were told to rest assured that we'll just need to pick it up at our final destination. We arrived at San Salvador by night, considering our next flight will be at 8am next day, we were proposed a hotel, transfer, dinner, and breakfast next day. Asked again about our luggage, got the same answer. When we arrived at the hotel the kitchen was closed and by the time we needed to leave (6am) it would be still closed, so food coupons were useless. Huge thanks to the hotel staff who realized how miserable the situation was, made for sandwiches for us and other people who ended up with the same situation.   The next step was New Mexico, which airport doesn't have a real transit zone, so it's required to leave the airport and then reenter it again. We are not US citizens, it was pure luck that we had US and a Schengen visas, so we could leave airports in El Salvador and New Mexico.  When finally arrived at Costa Rica, we realized that our baggage is lost. When filing a claim for Avianca to retrieve it, we were told that we should have taken our luggage in New Mexico, and we'll get it back the next morning. It didn't happen. Support phone line was useless again. WhatsApp's communication helped after a couple of hours of trying to reach out to them. Luggage should have been returned the next morning at 6am, and it was but to another hotel. Eventually, we've managed to get our luggage back. And after inspection of it, understood that it was looted. The only advice WhatsApp contact provided was to go to avianca.com, that has multiple times proved its uselessness. As a result, we've lost 2 days of our booked property without any compensation, ruined the beginning of our vacation by depriving sleep, lacking basic things that were in our luggage and ultimately looted raincoat from our luggage, that we really needed in our journey.
RouteSan Francisco to San Salvador via San Jose
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Truly the worst airline I have ever flown"

Trip Verified | Truly the worst airline I have ever flown. They have no customer service phone in the USA - you deal with a chat bot that cannot help you and cannot connect you to a real person. The seat pitch was the shortest I have ever experienced (claimed to be 31 inches but I guarantee it is not). Refreshments, even in premium economy, was water and a cracker for a 2 hour flight with no option for anything better. I had no idea how bad these folks were. Highly recommend you choose another airline (LATAM in South America is pretty good).
RouteBaltra Island to Quito
Date FlownNovember 2022

"economy class is very basic"

Trip Verified | My worst airline experience has been with Avianca. The website does not function properly. When phoning the call center, calls are dropped frequently. There was an error in resolving an issue I had and on top of that significant delays for the resolution. On top of that the food on lengthy flights in economy class is very basic. For example we had a small sandwich and had to ask for water.
RouteMedellin to Toronto via Bogota
Date FlownAugust 2022

"literally impossible to reach them"

Not Verified | I can’t send you any documentation nor paperwork because I can’t get a hold of Avianca call centers they never answer the telephone or emails. It is literally impossible to reach them. You try it see how it works for you, these third world countries companies are totally out of touch.
RouteSalvador to San Francisco

"Very disappointing"

Trip Verified | I was issued a boarding pass and thought I was all set. When I tried to board plane they refused because I am not vaccinated for Yellow fever. Very disappointing that one can get boarding pass with no mention of yellow fever issue traveling from Brazil to Columbia. The staff were not concerned with my situation and happy to send me on my way without a solution. Please make sure you know about the Yellow Fever.
RouteRio GIG to Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2022

"offered me a miserable compensation"

Trip Verified | This airline is probably one of the worst I’ve ever flown in. The service in cabin was alright, food was ok but the thing that really bothered me is that my bag was open and searched (leaving a mess by the way) and some items were stolen. I submitted a claim to the airline as soon as I arrived that day and the only thing they did was told me that those items were “personal” and should have been guarded by the passenger, so they didn’t do anything and only offered me a miserable compensation for items that were new and quite expensive. The worst of the worst.
RouteMadrid to Bogotá
Date FlownNovember 2022

"They do not return your money"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | In my last purchase of tickets for a family trip to Orlando they sent us a cancellation of the dates and that we had to accommodate the dates that it suggests when we already have hotel, park and car packages that are very difficult to modify. When requesting reimbursement, they rely on a supposed emergency law granted by the pandemic. but in reality what they are looking for is to cancel the tickets and force you to change your date and then open those dates at a higher price during the season. Definitely an abusive airline and very unreliable. Since the alleged refunds are made on a card to buy more tickets with them. They do not return your money, something very unfair since the cancellation is on their part without just cause. En mi ultima compra de ticketes para un viaje familiar a Orlando nos enviaron una cancelacion de las fechas y que debiamos acomodar a las fechas que ello sugieren cuando ya tenemos unos paquetes de hotel, parque y carros que es muy dificil modificar. Al solicitar el reembolso ellos se amparan en una supuesta ley de emergencia otorgada por la pandemia. pero en realidad lo que buscan es cancelar los ticketes y obligarte a cambiar tu fecha para luego abrir esas fechas a un mayor precio durante la temporada. Definitivamente una aerolinea abusiva y muy poco confiable. Ya que los supuestos reembolsos los hacen en una tarjeta para comprar mas ticketes con ellos. No devuelven tu dinero, algo muy injusto ya que la cancelacion es de parte de ellos sin una causa justa.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Cartagena to Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2022

"Seats are very basic"

Trip Verified | Uneventful Flight. Modern plane flight and luggage arrived on time. Seats are very basic if you do not pay extra. There is no service at all on domestic flights, not even a water can be purchased.
RouteMedellin to Bogota
Date FlownNovember 2022

"This airline has the most unpleasant staff"

Not Verified | This airline has the most unpleasant staff and customer service especially when you are checking bags in! They will do anything to overcharge you. They also don’t know what they are doing, if you asked them a question it is very likely they won’t have an answer. Very poorly trained.
RouteNew York to Colombia
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Absolutely a disastrous airline"

Trip Verified | Absolutely a disastrous airline. The worst thing you can have in airlines. My mom had a flight with a ticket and everything to get to the gate and be told that the flight is full. Not before first telling him that there were delays. Then Avianca representative proceeded to tell her that she was not going to travel and that they would return $95 dollars. That is a humiliation. Absolutely the worst airline can have. Absolutamente una aerolinea desastrosa. Lo peor que puede haver en aerolineas. Mi mama tenia un vuelo con ticket y todo para llegar a la puerta y que le digan que el vuelo esta lleno. No antes de primero metirle que havian retrasos. Luego representante de Avianca procedio a decirle que ella no iva a viajar y que le ivan a regresar $95 dolares. Eso es una humillacion. Absolutamente lo peor que puede haver de aerolineas.
RouteSalvador to New York